IGNORED

Bill Gothard Ousted - IBLP/ATI scandal - Merge

love2scrap

I'd guess he was the pre-interim president. Or the interim interim president

Wouldn't shock me if the 15 minutes of fame he got on TLC jabbing Jim Bob in the throat with rebar played a role in getting him moved along... it was the only time watching the show that I almost empathized with the Boob.

Ok can you explain the rebar thing? This is the second time I have seen this referenced and I don't have the intestinal fortitude to watch multiple seasons of that crap festival to find the answer for myself.

• Replies 816
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok can you explain the rebar thing? This is the second time I have seen this referenced and I don't have the intestinal fortitude to watch multiple seasons of that crap festival to find the answer for myself.

I'm pretty sure it was last season's episode "Love and Marriage" when Boob and Mullet went to Puerto Rico for a marriage retreat. Chris Hogan was their counselor and had Boob do a demonstration involving rebar.

I'm pretty sure it was last season's episode "Love and Marriage" when Boob and Mullet went to Puerto Rico for a marriage retreat. Chris Hogan was their counselor and had Boob do a demonstration involving rebar.

see youtu.be/NTRR9AP5p50?t=1m25s

Skip to 1:25.

NTRR9AP5p50

I don't blame Boob for not trusting him.

No kidding. "Unsolicited tracheotomy? Fuck this shit."

I'm weirdly impressed JB knew the word "esophagus."

see youtu.be/NTRR9AP5p50?t=1m25s

Thanks for the link. I hadn't seen that episode.

Wow, at least JB has some common sense to tell that guy he does not like having the rebar at his throat! What a stupid thing to do. And having to do counseling on tv for everyone to see. Way uncomfortable! I don't think Michelle liked it too much.

I can't believe my first post after years of lurking is about rebar. But...wow. That was the most ridiculous illustration ever.

I can't believe my first post after years of lurking is about rebar. But...wow. That was the most ridiculous illustration ever.

We all start somewhere.... :drama:

Interview with RG founders regarding the abuse allegations against Gothard:

http://issuesetc.org/2014/03/17/1-abuse ... ood-31714/

I'm glad some of them (the founders) feel that they are able to publicly reveal their identities now--though Cornish was sort of outed on the Friends of Mr. G facebook page, I think for the most part their names, at least officially, have been kept under wraps. I think it shows a sense of greater confidence in their mission and accomplishments at RG.

BTW, this is a little off-topic, but I'm pretty sure this entry at The Wartburg Watch (thewartburgwatch.com/2013/08/16/a-tale-of-two-abusers/) is about Cornish. He was a victim of both Gothard and the Southern Baptist Legalism Machine. I'm no longer a believer, but I admire him for apparently overcoming a great deal of spiritual abuse and becoming an advocate for other victims.

There's a "Statement Regarding Resignation" posted at iblp.org/news/statement-regarding-resignation. Not much news, but gives the board's timeline of recent events.

Welcome! I'm trying to figure out the point of that entire illustration. What deep insights was JB supposed to get from that?

Welcome! I'm trying to figure out the point of that entire illustration. What deep insights was JB supposed to get from that?

It was supposed to help him "get in there and be attentive" during conversations with Michelle since "the fear of the conversation is sometimes worse than the actual conversation." So whenever Jimbob is worried about, fearful of, or bored with whatever Michelle has to say, he is to remember the fear of being stabbed through the esophagus by some rebar-wielding lunatic and he'll instantly realize that, in comparison, whatever his wife is babbling about (silly wimminz and their need to talk about emotions) isn't that batshit crazy after all...

It was one of the stupidest counseling tricks I've ever seen.

Archived