IGNORED

The Demise of VF & Doug Phillips is a Tool - Part 5

happy atheist

That was the creepiest father daughter wedding kiss ever. They seem like they were the couple getting married not her and the man-child.

• Replies 860
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That was the creepiest father daughter wedding kiss ever. They seem like they were the couple getting married not her and the man-child.

What an awful photo...I wish I could unsee it.

I agree with the posters who are wondering how the bride and groom ended up together. Where did they meet, what do they have in common, and what was the motivation for getting married? How old is he? Also (and I hope I'm not missing something obvious), why on earth was the bridal party - down to the children - wearing cowboy boots with those lovely dresses?

What an awful photo...I wish I could unsee it.

I agree with the posters who are wondering how the bride and groom ended up together. Where did they meet, what do they have in common, and what was the motivation for getting married? How old is he? Also (and I hope I'm not missing something obvious), why on earth was the bridal party - down to the children - wearing cowboy boots with those lovely dresses?

It is very common to get married in boots in Texas, and in country-themed weddings in general.

Question- The bride was showing collarbone. Isn't that a no-no in VF modesty circles?

Yes, it is. A fundie wedding dress would never show collarbone, they would do what Erin did and add extra fabric.

Between that and Hero's hair, it just looks like a normal wedding, looking at it you wouldn't guess that they were fundies.

:D :D I will say that I flipped through quickly, and it seemed like both the bride and groom had pointy ears.... perhaps they are wood elfs... :lol:

Yes, I've been getting daily emails purporting to be from VF, advertising different "Christian" books, movies and other crap. Thanks, Doug Phillips, you tool!

Doug must have sold off his VFI mailing lists, probably both email and snail mail. Prepare for more spam.

Looks like Christian Reader -- Christianreader.com -- has been around since 2004. On the other hand their "flagship resource" is the Geneva Bible not the KJV. :shock: The Patriot version of the Geneva Bible is pimped with a video starring non other than Kirk Cameron. He is so irritating in his fake sincerity.

Doug must have sold off his VFI mailing lists, probably both email and snail mail. Prepare for more spam.

Looks like Christian Reader -- Christianreader.com -- has been around since 2004. On the other hand their "flagship resource" is the Geneva Bible not the KJV. :shock: The Patriot version of the Geneva Bible is pimped with a video starring non other than Kirk Cameron. He is so irritating in his fake sincerity.

The Patriot Version of the Geneva Bible is apparently a "new big thing" -- my off and on agnostic brother in law had one on his end table at Thanksgiving--he's been going all Tea party anti fluoride blah blah blah on us, so I suspect it is a tea party thing as well, since the tea party members on my fauxbook page all talk about it.

Yes, it is. A fundie wedding dress would never show collarbone, they would do what Erin did and add extra fabric.

Between that and Hero's hair, it just looks like a normal wedding, looking at it you wouldn't guess that they were fundies.

Thanks for verifying that, it really stood out. I'm almost embarrassed to admit I really liked her dress and the look of her eleventy-billion attendants. :D. Could have really done without the boy groom and father-daughter kiss tho'...

I finally found the green hair picture (of the girl I am guessing is "hero" helping someone get dressed along with apparently grandma helping too?)

I see the tattoo, and it looks new in the pic. THe hair, I'm not convinced, because grandma's hair also has a green tint and it makes me think it is lighting or lens issue, not green dye. Of course, I couldn't pick Hero out of a lineup, and never did find her elsewhere.

VF is definitely Fundie but has always seemed to me to be a lot more ummm - lax - in modest dress codes for women than ATI, and certainly Maxhell. They may officially be skirts only, but in many of the VF photos of conferences you can see quite a few plunging necklines, spaghetti straps, sleeveless tops and even a few shameless trollops wearing pants. Some of the wearers are VF royalty, and some are sheep in danger of fleecing. VF liked to appear more mainstream and upper income to spread its net wider.

Do we know whether this wedding was BCA or wider VF? Some of the defrauding attire quite shocked me because I thought BCA standards were stricter than VFM. :wink-kitty:

Speaking of which, there is one young woman in that wedding party who may be regretting her dress choice. Possibly the groom's sister -- she is in one picture with him pulling a silly face? Shiny pink fabric, plunging vee neckline, sleeveless, vertical ruching down the front and at least one size too small across the hips leading to unflattering horizontal wrinkles. Now I feel like a bitch. There was really nothing wrong with the dress other than the size and the overly shiny fabric that looked off for a daytime wedding.

VF is definitely Fundie but has always seemed to me to be a lot more ummm - lax - in modest dress codes for women than ATI, and certainly Maxhell. They may officially be skirts only, but in many of the VF photos of conferences you can see quite a few plunging necklines, spaghetti straps, sleeveless tops and even a few shameless trollops wearing pants. Some of the wearers are VF royalty, and some are sheep in danger of fleecing. VF liked to appear more mainstream and upper income to spread its net wider.

Do we know whether this wedding was BCA or wider VF? Some of the defrauding attire quite shocked me because I thought BCA standards were stricter than VFM. :wink-kitty:

Speaking of which, there is one young woman in that wedding party who may be regretting her dress choice. Possibly the groom's sister -- she is in one picture with him pulling a silly face? Shiny pink fabric, plunging vee neckline, sleeveless, vertical ruching down the front and at least one size too small across the hips leading to unflattering horizontal wrinkles. Now I feel like a bitch. There was really nothing wrong with the dress other than the size and the overly shiny fabric that looked off for a daytime wedding.

I noticed that, too. She needed the next size up. And it didn't seem to fit in with the theme. I decided maybe she was pregnant and didn't have a chance to get the dress altered at the last minute.

Katie Botkin strikes again. Check out this essay, entitled "Dear Prudence," posted yesterday on her blog. She tagged it "divorce," so I don't think it was written for Hero...but it could have been.

:clap:

Honestly, every time I read something that Katie Botkin writes, I want to buy her a cup of her favorite beverage. That is some patient, gracious, good advice she is giving.

How is she related to Geoffrey Botkin?

Katie is Geoffs niece, the daughter of his brother Greg Botkin MD.

[Edited for clarity by hoipolloi]

How is she related to Geoffrey Botkin?

She is his neice. You can count me in as a card carrying member of the Katie Botkin fan club.

I think that last post was certainly meant for Beall. Very kind, but also very frank. I'm feeling a bit dim because I usually agree with everything Katie says but the last paragraph doesn't quite make sense to me and I've read it several times:

Live your life, as it was, as it is. Be here, where it counts, and always hold your well-learned mistrust with an open hand, where someone can snatch it away from you easily.

Does she mean live your life as it was before Doug? As it is because you are separate from Doug and need to realise that?

Why hold your mistrust in an open hand? I'd advise hanging onto that mistrust as you move on (divorce Doug's sorry behind) so that you don't fall into that Patriarchal trap again. Having been in a horribly controlling marriage you are sadly a lot more vulnerable to falling into another one.

I finally found the green hair picture (of the girl I am guessing is "hero" helping someone get dressed along with apparently grandma helping too?)

I see the tattoo, and it looks new in the pic. THe hair, I'm not convinced, because grandma's hair also has a green tint and it makes me think it is lighting or lens issue, not green dye. Of course, I couldn't pick Hero out of a lineup, and never did find her elsewhere.

There are multiple pictures where Hero's green streaks can be seen, so it's definitely not just the light.

Katie's blog entry seemed to me like it was written to Hero. But hey – could be to Beall too. I think a lot of women exiting abusive situations would find encouragement in it.

It is very common to get married in boots in Texas, and in country-themed weddings in general.

Thanks. Can't say that I understand it, but I'm (obviously) not from Texas.

I've seen lots of weddings the past year years where the bridesmaid dresses are pretty and what I would consider semi-formal or full-length formal, and then the gals are all wearing flip-flops. Definitely an interesting turn to wedding styles I am accustomed to.

Thanks. Can't say that I understand it, but I'm (obviously) not from Texas.

There are such things as bridal boots-- white cowgirl boots designed to go with wedding dresses. Why at least the bride didn't have these, I'll never know. But I'm old, and I'm sure people the age I am now wondered about choices I made for my wedding.

A couple of years ago a friend of mine's daughter got married in an LDS temple. All I saw were the photos outside afterward, but she wore hot pink snowboarding boots underneath her gown. I wouldn't think the temple would have allowed that, would they?

A couple of years ago a friend of mine's daughter got married in an LDS temple. All I saw were the photos outside afterward, but she wore hot pink snowboarding boots underneath her gown. I wouldn't think the temple would have allowed that, would they?

They have special shoes that are only worn in the temple. One of my friends had a temple marriage a few years ago. She decided to wear a temple dress instead of her wedding dress because she would be required to cover the sequins. She did have pictures taken outside of the temple after the ceremony in her wedding dress.

They have special shoes that are only worn in the temple. One of my friends had a temple marriage a few years ago. She decided to wear a temple dress instead of her wedding dress because she would be required to cover the sequins. She did have pictures taken outside of the temple after the ceremony in her wedding dress.

Oh, interesting. Thanks!

Archived