IGNORED

Alyssa Bates and John Webster are courting

wutwuzdat

Anyone else think John Webster really looks like Frankenstein's Monster? That smile, it's uncanny.

I already called him "Frankenteen" earlier :D I didn't want to call him Frankenstein though, just to be nice...

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like it'll be a short courtship; Kelly said this in a response on their blog (it's on the Erin & Chad post)

Dear Brandi,

Yes, Zach and Whit’s wedding is in about 3 weeks in Lake City! John and Alyssa aren’t engaged, so they haven’t set a date…but I suspect they won’t take too long since they spent a lengthy get to know you time together. Love, Kelly

Looks like it'll be a short courtship; Kelly said this in a response on their blog (it's on the Erin & Chad post)

I predict a ring for Christmas if not before. I wouldn't be surprised if she got it before Zach's wedding.

I predict a ring for Christmas if not before. I wouldn't be surprised if she got it before Zach's wedding.

I really, really hope not. I hope they wait until she is at least 20. :(

So many people are tearing Jessa down for how she acted in the pictures with Ben, but I don't see why. Just because you're not overly lovey with someone, it doesn't mean you don't care for them.

I've been best friends with a boy since we were 11, and we dated at 17, 19, and tried again earlier this year (it didnt work out because he's REALLY bad at communication and doesnt realize that, when I go silent because I'm tried of starting the conversations, he should actually start a conversation). I'm not a very affectionate person to begin with, so we dont do much touching, even when we're alone. If you put us in front of our families (whether its one person or all of them), it's not uncommon to see us standing/sitting at least 4 feet from each other. It's not because we don't care about each other or not love each other (we've had conversations about marriage on many occasions), it's just that we're not comfortable being affectionate around other people. If our relationship was put up on the internet in the form of pictures taken around our family members, you wouldn't even think we were friends. So, I can't see how we can possibly judge Jessa and Ben.

Furthermore, I remember hearing (I cant remember if it was on here or on the show) that the girls are taught not to be affectionate with their family members, particularly their brothers, because it's defrauding. If you're raised not showing affection to the ones you're closest to, how can you be expected to extend that affection to someone you're just getting to know?

I agree insofar as you can't judge the quality of a person's relationship based merely on pictures. The Duggar girls for the most part have always seemed more reserved and possibly more insecure than the Bates girls. They come across as standoffish at times, and while some of that may be snobbery, I suspect it's more just self-consciousness, especially knowing that they're being seen and heard by millions of people. Jessa and Ben might be really into each other, but shy in front of the camera and their families. Without knowing them, it's impossible to say.

I hope they are either really into each other, or that if they're not, they have the courage to break things off.

So many people are tearing Jessa down for how she acted in the pictures with Ben, but I don't see why. Just because you're not overly lovey with someone, it doesn't mean you don't care for them.

I've been best friends with a boy since we were 11, and we dated at 17, 19, and tried again earlier this year (it didnt work out because he's REALLY bad at communication and doesnt realize that, when I go silent because I'm tried of starting the conversations, he should actually start a conversation). I'm not a very affectionate person to begin with, so we dont do much touching, even when we're alone. If you put us in front of our families (whether its one person or all of them), it's not uncommon to see us standing/sitting at least 4 feet from each other. It's not because we don't care about each other or not love each other (we've had conversations about marriage on many occasions), it's just that we're not comfortable being affectionate around other people. If our relationship was put up on the internet in the form of pictures taken around our family members, you wouldn't even think we were friends. So, I can't see how we can possibly judge Jessa and Ben.

Furthermore, I remember hearing (I cant remember if it was on here or on the show) that the girls are taught not to be affectionate with their family members, particularly their brothers, because it's defrauding. If you're raised not showing affection to the ones you're closest to, how can you be expected to extend that affection to someone you're just getting to know?

eh, I think you may have posted in the wrong thread? :)

eh, I think you may have posted in the wrong thread? :)

No, this was in response to a number of posts about 2 or 3 pages back. People were comparing Jessa to Erin and Alyssa.

Yeah, I don't think Jessa is really the sort of person who would be into showing so much affection in public. She doesn't seem like the overemotional sort who would consider being touchy feely or giving big displays of affection when other people are around.

I agree insofar as you can't judge the quality of a person's relationship based merely on pictures. The Duggar girls for the most part have always seemed more reserved and possibly more insecure than the Bates girls. They come across as standoffish at times, and while some of that may be snobbery, I suspect it's more just self-consciousness, especially knowing that they're being seen and heard by millions of people. Jessa and Ben might be really into each other, but shy in front of the camera and their families. Without knowing them, it's impossible to say.

I hope they are either really into each other, or that if they're not, they have the courage to break things off.

I think the older Duggar girls are reserved because their parents have had them in the public eye. Talk about no privacy... The younger kids were born into it...the older kids remember a time when there were no cameras and the kind of normal the rest of us take for granted.

I'm not surprised that Jessa seems less than affectionate with him. Look at who she has for parents. She's probably half horrified at the excessive PDA her parents put on and half scared of what would happen if Boob didn't like her behavior.

I think the older Duggar girls are reserved because their parents have had them in the public eye. Talk about no privacy... The younger kids were born into it...the older kids remember a time when there were no cameras and the kind of normal the rest of us take for granted.

The older girls were pretty quiet and shy even before the show. It's probably just their personality. I remember the boys and the younger kids (including Jinger--I don't really remember Jessa) as much more outgoing.

The older girls were pretty quiet and shy even before the show. It's probably just their personality. I remember the boys and the younger kids (including Jinger--I don't really remember Jessa) as much more outgoing.

Keep in mind that the older girls and JD had serious blanket training.

Pardon my laziness in not researching this...but how/where did Alyssa and John meet? I'm trying to figure where a congressman's son from Florida and the Bates family would cross paths. Thanks in advance.

No, this was in response to a number of posts about 2 or 3 pages back. People were comparing Jessa to Erin and Alyssa.

Ah, sorry!

(In reply to the person who asked above- I'm still a newbie and don't know how to do the fancy reply thing)

Erin, Alyssa and Tori met Jordan Webster (John's older brother) on a missions trip to Romania a few years ago (2011?). They then got to know the whole Webster family. Alyssa and John got closer when the older Bateses were campaigning for his dad, congressman Daniel Webster. :)

(In reply to the person who asked above- I'm still a newbie and don't know how to do the fancy reply thing)

Erin, Alyssa and Tori met Jordan Webster (John's older brother) on a missions trip to Romania a few years ago (2011?). They then got to know the whole Webster family. Alyssa and John got closer when the older Bateses were campaigning for his dad, congressman Daniel Webster. :)

At the top of each post is a button that says "quote." Click that and it opens up a new post box with the quote already entered. Then just add your own thoughts.

Welcome!

Here's Erin's post about their 2011 Romania mission trip: blog.thebatesfamily.com/2011/11/25/romania/

I can't get the pictures to display right now, but hopefully it is a temporary glitch.

And here is a posting by Jordan Webster about his father, U.S. Representative Daniel Webster:

ati.iblp.org/ati/family/articles/family/successfulfather/

Heretic Hick, thanks for the link. I thought I remembered the Websters as being ATI, but didn't have the proof to back up my claim.

• 3 weeks later...

daisyflower5 Hobby lobby with John and Alyssa. #waiting #tired #onehourofsleep #weddingprep #bestchaperoneeva ;) 22h

web.stagram.com/p/610275124675289542_52680455

post-3637-14451998577775_thumb.jpg

Poor John. But Alyssa does look really cute in that picture.

Also, I know it's absolutely none of my business, but does anyone recognize the watch on her wrist? It looks expensive, and so I was wondering if it were a gift from John. I've been curious for awhile as to how their different socioeconomic backgrounds play out in their courtship.

Archived