IGNORED

Bates Wedding Part 2: Zach N Whitney

HereticHick

I do think that Kelly and Gil are trying to maintain their reputation as following the ATI legalism to the letter but are finding out that they can't entirely control their kids or how things are supposed to work out (thinking failed courtship here). It's clear Zach met Whit outside of ATI and avoided some of the parent-controlled courtship process, but probably the big thing here is that he did something independently. Oh noes! Kelly's trying to spin it positively of course, but she might be concerned about how all it's appearing to their fundie circle.

On another note, I think as per mentioned upthread, that when Zach approached Whit's dad about courting, it was probably met with a more laid back response than he was expecting. Chances are Whit already talked about this guy she met at Sonic and Whit's folks were just interested in finally meeting him rather than giving a formal OK to courtship. So when Zach asked, it was along the lines of "oh sure".

Like, having to remember the whole chapter of Corinthians and quoting it word for word. I'm like that does not mean anything, but that is their logic. You will seek the word and gain the girl as the prize.

• Replies 846
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think that she'll keep with skirts whenever she's at their house, but I think Zach would be open to whatever she wants at their home.

Agreed. I dress more conservatively at my in-laws than I do at home, even if I'm wearing pants. I just feel it's a sign of respect towards them and their home.

Agreed. I dress more conservatively at my in-laws than I do at home, even if I'm wearing pants. I just feel it's a sign of respect towards them and their home.

Idk, I think Zach is too guilted into the fundie/ATI culture to "allow" or tolerate her wearing pants. I mean, he grew up in this strict culture. Erin didn't even want to sit next to someone with green hair... I have a feeling he may have wanted her to wear skirts - not just his family. If she's fully indoctrinated, she'd probably stick with skirts, too. Who knows, she may have gotten rid of her pants altogether.

As I recall, no, Kelly said that they were also choosing to save their first kiss for the wedding. She did say that Zach wanted to hug Whitney right after he had asked her and she agreed. Someone asked if they would respect their adult son or daughter choosing to kiss before marriage. She said they hope they wait, and all, at least that she's talked to, agree. But does acknowledge that they COULD be sneaking and they'd never know. And they were open to discussing if they need "more privacy". We'll never know, but we'll see if Zach and Whitney actually answer that question, or at least allow it to be posted.

"and all want the Lord’s will in this area of their lives. They are open to however He guides"

They are very good at wording things to make them seem more open-minded than they really are. In Gothard land the "Lord's will" is that they not use any sort of birth control. and "open to however He guides" also means that because God will never guide anyone to limit their family size.

That's Bates speak for "they will toe the family line or else.

I think Zack was pretty darned clear about what he thought on the first 17 Kids and Counting season when they visited the Duggars. He said something like he'd be happy with just one or two kids and tacked on "if that's all he gives me" or some such "cover" line

I think Zach is done with ATI and Gothard. He seems quite ready to go his own way. He did not follow the courting model the second time around. He met someone at Sonic of all places. He knew she was a pants wearing working female. I suspect he's already moved over to the more normal church her father pastors. Whitney and Zach may not flaunt anything in front of his parents but I don't see Zach as continuing in the cult.

I think Zach is done with ATI and Gothard. He seems quite ready to go his own way. He did not follow the courting model the second time around. He met someone at Sonic of all places. He knew she was a pants wearing working female. I suspect he's already moved over to the more normal church her father pastors. Whitney and Zach may not flaunt anything in front of his parents but I don't see Zach as continuing in the cult.

Zach and Whitney are attending the Bateses' church.

While I'm not sure he's rejecting Gothard, I definitely don't think he cares about being the poster boy for ATI. Like you said, he didn't follow the courtship model and he chose a girl who worked and wore pants. Also, Whitney is still working at Sonic four days a week.

Yes I hope they attend Whitney's father's church and not the fundie one the Bates run.

Kelly posted some comments saying that they see both couples in church, so I think Whitney and Zach go to some services with the Bates (if not to all).

While I'm not sure he's rejecting Gothard, I definitely don't think he cares about being the poster boy for ATI. Like you said, he didn't follow the courtship model and he chose a girl who worked and wore pants. Also, Whitney is still working at Sonic four days a week.

I agree, and suspect they have an understanding about appearances.

I found Kelly's comment about church and I'm sure that Zach doesn't want a major break with his family. She isn't saying that they are there every time the doors are open and it would be perfectly reasonable for the young couple(s) to go other churches and almost expected for Whitney to go to her father's church some. I think Zach will drift away in many areas and others though has probably already made a break in private. I don't expect him to become a wild partying guy or an atheist, but definitely more mainstream.

Wedding pictures posted on Elizabeth's website!

elizabethzellonphotography.com

ETA: it's nice to see kissing pictures where the couple isn't sucking each other's face (like Pecan Thief and Pris)

I already like these photos more than Chad and Erin's. They look less staged somehow, although like most wedding photos, I know they still are. But what caught my eye is that it looks like the photographer just happened to walk in on a few intimate moments between the couple. Less 'photos' and more 'moments.'

Oh God. Why oh why would she put them in poses like that? Whitney looks beautiful, and I know from other pictures that these two aren't awkward with each other at all, but these photos look so weird and unnatural. Hope they got some good ones where Zach doesn't look like he's about to attack her. :(

Whitney does look beautiful, but yeah, Zach does look like he wants to rip her clothes off (and maybe he did, but that is not the sort of photo that this crowd is going to frame and hang on the wall!) : )

It seems like just weird angles to me. Zach's back takes up so much of the picture, and the poses they've got him doing look so unnatural and absurd. They've got him pushing/leaning/closing in on her from the front or side in every photo. I'm hoping they took more where he's beside her, or like hugging her from behind but facing the camera, because I'm sorry but these are just awful - and it's the photographers' fault, imo.

I think Zach and Whit's pictures look more intimate than Erin and Chad's fun and romantic.

I can't blame Zach and Whit-it's always awkward taking professional pictures. For my 5 years with the boyfriend last year, we decided to celebrate by taking professional pictures. At one point he told us to just act natural while he took random pics of us. We tried really hard but it was difficult, considering that we were aware that there was a camera clicking away. As the session went on, we became more and more relaxed but if you look at the first few pics, it's just of me laughing...constantly.

With that said, it does look like they are ready to head to the bedroom.

Whitney looks beautiful :)

She really does. I love her dress. she put that little jacket on to make it modest. I like her dress better than Erin's pieced together dress. You could tell the top of Erin's was done quickly to make it modest

Whitney looks lovely and Zach looks as good as I've ever seen him, but count me in with those who don't like the poses. That pose where it looks like he is trapping her up against a wall to kiss her :penguin-no:.

Also, in the 3rd(?) photo what is that weird bump-out shelf in her dress just below her waist and above her bottom?

Otherwise I thought her dress and bolero were very pretty.

Oh God. Why oh why would she put them in poses like that? Whitney looks beautiful, and I know from other pictures that these two aren't awkward with each other at all, but these photos look so weird and unnatural. Hope they got some good ones where Zach doesn't look like he's about to attack her. :(

Agree! Weird pictues :pink-shock:

Her dress does not fit. At all. Look at that bump around her bum. It's ridiculous. And count me in as one who hates the poses.

I suspect she actually works 5 days a week,ie full time.It's just that it can't be let on that a supposedly fundie wife is being such a helpmeet in that area,imo.Got to let the man make most of the money.

The photos of her being pinned against something seem very erotic to me. Not exactly what I'd like in a wedding photo. Feels like a preview to what the honeymoon was like. :pink-shock:

I suspect she actually works 5 days a week,ie full time.It's just that it can't be let on that a supposedly fundie wife is being such a helpmeet in that area,imo.Got to let the man make most of the money.

Yeah, I doubt it. If they wanted to make sure everyone knew that she was working part time they would have just said, "She only works part time." That actually sounds 'better' than four days a week, because someone could interpret it as one or two.

Archived