IGNORED

Bates Wedding Part 2: Zach N Whitney

HereticHick

Yikes. This may be a sweet couple and so very much in luurve and all that other stuff -- but I profoundly hope that they go Fundie-lite ASAP and never end up home schooling their children. I just took a look at their blog and the grammar and spelling is awful!

Zach can't even spell his sister's name -- Micheala not Michaela. He doesn't know the difference between "your" and "you're," and keeps saying, "Me and Whitney." She is nearly as bad with the, "Me and Zach" and "I wouldn't give Zach up for nothing."

Not a good advertisement for Kelly's SOTDRT. Was Whitney also home-schooled?

Not everyone is good at writing and I'm usually slightly more charitable when it comes to bad grammar, but isn't Zach also supposed to be taking college courses in criminal justice?

• Replies 846
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unfortunately Zach and Whitney's spelling and grammar is actually better than that of a lot of people their age (and older), who are IN UNIVERSITY. I've seen far, far worse from far too many people. Theirs is pretty average. :|

Zach can't even spell his sister's name -- Micheala not Michaela. He doesn't know the difference between "your" and "you're," and keeps saying, "Me and Whitney." She is nearly as bad with the, "Me and Zach" and "I wouldn't give Zach up for nothing."

Actually, the Bateses spell the name Michaella. Pronounced Mi kel lah

edit: Kelly wrote in a post why there were two L's.

Actually, the Bateses spell the name Michaella. Pronounced Mi kel lah

edit: Kelly wrote in a post why there were two L's.

The Bateses are all over the place on the poor girl's name. It started out as Micah and I don't think even Kelly ever spells it quite the same way twice. She has said, however, that they spell and pronounce it "Michael" (as in the boy's name) with an optional "uh" on the end when they are in the mood to add an "a." I don't think I've ever seen her spell it with two "ll"s, but I believe you. :D

For the record, Zach spelled it Micheala.

I pity Micah/Michael/Micheal/Micheala/Michaela/Michaella. I have a name that is often misspelled and it is really annoying.

The Bateses are all over the place on the poor girl's name. It started out as Micah and I don't think even Kelly ever spells it quite the same way twice. She has said, however, that they spell and pronounce it "Michael" (as in the boy's name) with an optional "uh" on the end when they are in the mood to add an "a." I don't think I've ever seen her spell it with two "ll"s, but I believe you. :D

For the record, Zach spelled it Micheala.

I pity Micah/Michael/Micheal/Micheala/Michaela/Michaella. I have a name that is often misspelled and it is really annoying.

I believe the name on her birth certificate is Michal, not Micah. When Gil and Kelly discovered the biblical Michal might not have been as pure as they desired their daughter to be, they started calling her all the variations of Michael, Michaela, etc.

It started out Michal, they didn't like the connotations and legally changed it to Michael before she was one year old because they wouldn't have to pay anything to change/add one letter, and she seems to go interchangeably by Michael and Michaela. Kelly has said all this in comments on the blog.

For goodness sake,maybe I'm just old school,but I was always taught that basic grammar is important.

And if I'd homeschooled,I would have at least taught the difference between basic contractions,such as your and you're=you are.

That ATI educashun is just wunnerful,isn't it.Goth should be proud.

But hey,they court and dress conservatively,that's all that counts,right? That and the mindless popping of babies out the wahoo.

@@.

I didn't mean that as a crack on Zach.I'm sure he is a nice young man, and I applaud him for marrying someone outside of ati.

The pic with Michaela is very sweet,and they seem to be very close. :)

It's not his fault that he is ill-educated.I know they have a large family,but I would still think Kelly would teach them the basics correctly,since she is college-educated herself.

I do wonder if Whitney is rather naïve about marrying into such a family, though.She's already been coerced,I mean convicted,to wear skirts.I hope they're aren't any arguments with Gil and Kelly should they decide to not follow ati rules,especially the one about 'letting God decide your family size'.I mean,having unprotected sex.

A Kelly comment that kind of sums the living/work arrangements up.

"Kelly January 6, 2014 at 1:42 am

Dear Traci,

Yes, Erin is finishing her last semester. Zach still works as county commissioner and also for a metal fabrication place. Whitney still works at Sonic four days a week. Erin lives about 5 minutes from Zach and they both live 15 to 20 minutes from us. Love, Kelly"

So is her name pronounced Mi-Kel-A, like Michael?

Or Mi-Kay-La?

I never heard her mentioned, so I don't know. I only remember Kelly saying her sibs call her Mickey.

So is her name pronounced Mi-Kel-A, like Michael?

Or Mi-Kay-La?

I never heard her mentioned, so I don't know. I only remember Kelly saying her sibs call her Mickey.

It's pronounced Michael - A

I've only seen it written Michaella except on here. Wikipedia has it as Michaella.

I think it is her preference to be Michael. That is how Kelly has been having it on the blog and she said Michael and Brandon proofed her entry.

oops... His note says Michaela.

I had a teacher aide in school who always spelled my name differently than I do. I corrected her and she said it didn't matter because it was not my real name. I should go to bed.

Kelly's response to name question:

Denise June 26, 2013 at 5:19 pm

I thought her name was Michaela? Well whatever her name is I’m glad she’s, and all of your family, doing well! :)

. Kelly June 26, 2013 at 9:58 pm

Dear Denise,

She answers to both Michaella and Michael! Love, Kelly

. Jamie July 30, 2013 at 6:32 am

But what did you name her? Michael? Or Michaela? I’ve always pronounced the female version Mi-kay-la.

. Kelly July 30, 2013 at 11:17 pm

Dear Jamie,

We actually pronounced Michaella like the male version Michael with “uh†sound on the end (thus the two “L’sâ€). Love, Kelly

Kelly's response to name question:

Denise June 26, 2013 at 5:19 pm

I thought her name was Michaela? Well whatever her name is I’m glad she’s, and all of your family, doing well! :)

. Kelly June 26, 2013 at 9:58 pm

Dear Denise,

She answers to both Michaella and Michael! Love, Kelly

. Jamie July 30, 2013 at 6:32 am

But what did you name her? Michael? Or Michaela? I’ve always pronounced the female version Mi-kay-la.

. Kelly July 30, 2013 at 11:17 pm

Dear Jamie,

We actually pronounced Michaella like the male version Michael with “uh†sound on the end (thus the two “L’sâ€). Love, Kelly

What, is she a dog??? She "answers" to both names???? :snooty:

Interesting that the recent posted pictures show the guys full length and every one with Whitney in it is cropped. I hope I'm not reading too much into that.

Sorry to be daft, but posted where?

I thought 'answers to' was common for humans as well. I always say I 'answer to' my name and a nickname... :?

I didn't mean that as a crack on Zach.I'm sure he is a nice young man, and I applaud him for marrying someone outside of ati.

The pic with Michaela is very sweet,and they seem to be very close. :)

It's not his fault that he is ill-educated.I know they have a large family,but I would still think Kelly would teach them the basics correctly,since she is college-educated herself.

I do wonder if Whitney is rather naïve about marrying into such a family, though.She's already been coerced,I mean convicted,to wear skirts.I hope they're aren't any arguments with Gil and Kelly should they decide to not follow ati rules,especially the one about 'letting God decide your family size'.I mean,having unprotected sex.

I would also think that given he has college educated parents, that he would fare a bit better in the grammar department. Let's hope he was educated but just is falling into some bad grammar habits like a lot of us did, such as saying "Bob and me" vs. "Bob and I". I remember doing that a lot as a kid / teenager. Remember though he is 25, he's been raised in a culture that still treats adults like they are still kids and sometimes I really feel they also act the part.

I also wonder if Whitney is rather blind to what kind of family she's marrying into. She's young, probably pretty impressionable and also in luuuvvv. A few years down she might wake up to things if Zach insists on living the ATI lifestyle. It's hard to tell right now but given Zach didn't actually follow the proscribed courtship model this time around (so-called "dating with a purpose" is still parent-supervised courtship, IMHO) I do think he might deciding what rules he really wants to live by. I am still of the view that the earlier courtship fail may have had the opposite effect of what his parents intended: that courtship works and parents know best. He got hurt big time and that hurt made him question the whole business.

I think so,too,and I think Whitney may have gotten him on the rebound,which can make it easier to catch someone,considering the pain they are in at the time.I do think he loves her though.I wish them all the best. :)

I think Zach and Whit are still in their honeymoon phase and Whit doesn't see just yet what a bunch of nut jobs the Bates family are. IIRC, a poster on this board said that Kelly was doing everything in her power to make sure Zach didn't get with Whit, at first, because Whit was "chasing" Zach. After Kelly got to know her, my guess, is that she saw how "moldable" Whit is and approved of her. I know, during your "honeymoon phase", you sometimes overlook some red flags because you're just so in love and think that you can handle it. From the looks of it, Zach and Whit both seem to be madly in love, however, I don't see Whit following the ATI mindset of "skirts only" and "leaving her uterus up to God" for too long. More than anything, Zach will come around and change his viewpoints around due to Whit's "fundie-lite" view. I don't think Zach will come out and say that Whit is on BC, but it wouldn't surprise me if they find other methods to avoid having a large family.

At least Whit continues working at Sonic. Not full-time anymore but still. Doesn't seems like she's drinking the ATI-kool aid too much.

I have a cynical prediction. I agree that they are young and in love and perhaps Whitney did not fully realize what she's gotten herself into. In a few years, once the honeymoon phase has ended, she'll grown increasingly unhappy, and since she likely wasn't raised to be a submissive helpmeet, she'll have no problem ending the marriage. So Zach will end up divorced, which will show his younger siblings what happens when you have unchaperoned relationships with non-parent approved people. In the meantime, Chad and Erin will continue to be all smiles and perfect. I hope I'm wrong though.

I'm going the other way with the story and go Zach was trying to drink the kool aide but the failed courtship completed his disenchantment with all things ATI and parent controlled. He went out and found his own girl friend thank you very much parents. He and Whitney have decided to play along with his parents when around them to keep the peace, but intend to go their own way. As time goes along and more siblings break free, Zach will more openly live life as he pleases. I think he picked Whitney with full knowledge her life was different from his and that's what he wants. I may be 100% off, but it's what I want to think.

I have a cynical prediction. I agree that they are young and in love and perhaps Whitney did not fully realize what she's gotten herself into. In a few years, once the honeymoon phase has ended, she'll grown increasingly unhappy, and since she likely wasn't raised to be a submissive helpmeet, she'll have no problem ending the marriage. So Zach will end up divorced, which will show his younger siblings what happens when you have unchaperoned relationships with non-parent approved people. In the meantime, Chad and Erin will continue to be all smiles and perfect. I hope I'm wrong though.

I think it could happen.It's going to take Zach standing up to his parents to avoid that though,imo.

I do think Erin may very well tire of the lifestyle too though,especially the having baby after baby part.Leaky boobs,stretch marks, morning sickness,waddling around hugely pregnant,screaming,crying babies and toddler temper tantrums,lack of sleep,etc. all wear on one.

I'm going the other way with the story and go Zach was trying to drink the kool aide but the failed courtship completed his disenchantment with all things ATI and parent controlled. He went out and found his own girl friend thank you very much parents. He and Whitney have decided to play along with his parents when around them to keep the peace, but intend to go their own way. As time goes along and more siblings break free, Zach will more openly live life as he pleases. I think he picked Whitney with full knowledge her life was different from his and that's what he wants. I may be 100% off, but it's what I want to think.

that could happen,too.

Archived