IGNORED

Sister wives coming back?

Eternalbluepearl

(long-time lurker, first-time poster)

RE: Robyn's story

I think she did that terribly. Half the kids probably now think purity is literally a piece of jewelry, and the older kids (besides Mariah) are probably rolling their eyes. I grew up in a fairly religious setting where the importance of remaining a virgin until marriage was strongly emphasized, but Robyn's method of trying to pass along her method was just absurd. The consensual sex she had with her boyfriend at the age of 19 (re: not 14) that eventually led to getting pregnant out of marriage, and then into an unhappy marriage was, to hear her describe it, the emotional equivalence of rape. It got me so pissed off that I almost had to stop watching. Robyn acted like such a victim of some bad guy who begged for, and kinda stole, her purity, and I felt so fucking sorry for her kids who had to listen to her talk about their dad like some virginity bandit.

It also didn't add up - she talks about how this guy "was only interested in one thing" - yet he asked her to marry him, and did so, after she got pregnant? If he was only looking for sex, there are much better women to date than one who does not even want to kiss before marriage.

And also: what about Kody's purity? He was having regular, Church-approved sex with three different women for 20 years before he married Robyn. Does his purity not matter, or does he also get to "recharge" for each wedding night? And like someone above said, what does it matter if Jesus can just give it back to you?

Intended message: virginity is special, only once, and only for your soulmate. Be careful with it

Actual message: Virginity is purity, and your status defines you as a woman. If you give it away before marriage it will make you miserable for the next ten years and your life will be ruined until you meet the right man and Jesus restores it.

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The builder only gave them the one floor plan with the various options.

It looks like they were rushed (even though they weren't completed on time) and shoddily put together. I predict problems within a year.

It's the gated community they chose and to keep property values equivalent, they couldn't build a 'smaller' house for Meri, say 2000 sq ft., they had limited floor plans to choose from and all were McMansions. They all actually chose the exact floor plan and just personalized each of them according to the available options. Agree with the cathedral ceilings / open rooms, that's a lot of wasted space and a bitch to keep cool! For the money they paid, they are very cookie cutter, don't appear to be high quality (ie. no backsplash, no hardwood, limited tile and what appears to be low quality carpet, already showing wear in some areas!)

Sweet Jesus, or Joseph Smith, or whoever, I'm so glad someone else realizes this. I quit reading over at SWB for a while when I mentioned this a few times and no one seemed to give a crap about rationality in all of their hate-furor for wet bars. New construction has very limited floor plan options, and no developer is going to have such a disparity between house plans. It was either McMansion or send her to another neighborhood. I love you right now, Smoochie.

I don't understand why a wet bar is important to her, but I will say that when my husband and I replaced our sliding glass doors with French doors I swore I would never have another slider again. I know some people love them, and I had no ill will towards them prior to the change, but the difference was well worth the money and effort (we did the project ourselves.) So, it didn't seem irrational to me that some things were really important to her.

Seeing the finished product, I don't think it was the wet bar she wanted so much as the counter space to the side that came with the wet bar addition. It gave counter space for setting out the food and also additional seating for the kids. I hate to admit it, but I like her kitchen arrangement better than the others.

ETA: I think the builder tying the wet bar option to all the other changes was a problem and a mistake on his part.

Seeing the finished product, I don't think it was the wet bar she wanted so much as the counter space to the side that came with the wet bar addition. It gave counter space for setting out the food and also additional seating for the kids. I hate to admit it, but I like her kitchen arrangement better than the others.

ETA: I think the builder tying the wet bar option to all the other changes was a problem and a mistake on his part.

See, that explanation seems more reasonable to me than just "I /need/ that wet bar!" again and again. (although maybe the 'extra space' explanation got edited out on her part) Having extra space for the kids seems perfectly logical and like something the editors would/should have included.

See, that explanation seems more reasonable to me than just "I /need/ that wet bar!" again and again. (although maybe the 'extra space' explanation got edited out on her part) Having extra space for the kids seems perfectly logical and like something the editors would/should have included.

But where's the conflict in the storyline with reasonable explanations? This entire year things are being edited to show Robin?Meri vs. Janelle/Christine. Frankly, nobody looks very good. I think TLC is throwing the Browns under the bus.

Sweet Jesus, or Joseph Smith, or whoever, I'm so glad someone else realizes this. I quit reading over at SWB for a while when I mentioned this a few times and no one seemed to give a crap about rationality in all of their hate-furor for wet bars. New construction has very limited floor plan options, and no developer is going to have such a disparity between house plans. It was either McMansion or send her to another neighborhood. I love you right now, Smoochie.

I don't understand why a wet bar is important to her, but I will say that when my husband and I replaced our sliding glass doors with French doors I swore I would never have another slider again. I know some people love them, and I had no ill will towards them prior to the change, but the difference was well worth the money and effort (we did the project ourselves.) So, it didn't seem irrational to me that some things were really important to her.

Right, which is why I said they should have found a different manufacturer, if that was even possible. I agree about sliding doors, I don't have them in my home either. But I also don't have 17 kids to feed and send to college even after filing bankruptcy and having no employment. Beggars can't be choosers, but I guess they can when its funded by a short-lived reality show.

I am very conflicted about this. On the one hand, yes, she deserves to have the same size house (even if it were possible to have different sized houses) as the rest of the wives because her "value" shouldn't be tied to the number of children she has. On the other hand, it seems extremely unfair when one wife is struggling to feed her children, but another one with fewer children can afford small luxuries.

I guess, although the number of kids should not be what gives value to a wife, the kids should be their first priority because after all the kids didn't choose to be born in this family and shouldn't suffer because of it.

The bottom line is, there are five adults who should get on their feet and get jobs. More jobs = less money problems. But I guess going to the office everyday doesn't make good television.

Not sure what the job market is like in Vegas for Morman families but would you hire any of these people to work for you? Janelle seems like the best prospect of the bunch but I would bet that anyone of them would show up to work with a full tv crew in tow.

Not sure what the job market is like in Vegas for Morman families but would you hire any of these people to work for you? Janelle seems like the best prospect of the bunch but I would bet that anyone of them would show up to work with a full tv crew in tow.

Yes, you are completely right. And, of course, no one is actually starving because I'm sure TLC pays them well enough.

Yes, you are completely right. And, of course, no one is actually starving because I'm sure TLC pays them well enough.

Since, three of the four wives are overweight, money for plenty of food is coming from somewhere.

Since, three of the four wives are overweight, money for plenty of food is coming from somewhere.

You do know that obesity and poverty are commonly found together, right? HFCS and white carbs and fats are all cheap and available in processed foods, while lean proteins and fresh fruits and veggies are more expensive.

That's very true...when I was doing social work one of my clients used the food pantry. One trip he was given macaroni and cheese and SIX bottles of Readi-Whip. Granted, he had some cognition problems and bad judgement about food but this was the kind of thing he had to pick from. And the kind of thing no one batted an eye at him taking.

I am very conflicted about this. On the one hand, yes, she deserves to have the same size house (even if it were possible to have different sized houses) as the rest of the wives because her "value" shouldn't be tied to the number of children she has. On the other hand, it seems extremely unfair when one wife is struggling to feed her children, but another one with fewer children can afford small luxuries.

I guess, although the number of kids should not be what gives value to a wife, the kids should be their first priority because after all the kids didn't choose to be born in this family and shouldn't suffer because of it.

The bottom line is, there are five adults who should get on their feet and get jobs. More jobs = less money problems. But I guess going to the office everyday doesn't make good television.

I think if they really are one big family, they should do what any other big family would do and make sure the kids are provided for equally...with the adults getting whatever is left. That is different than each of the 4 wives getting an equal share to use for their own household.

I understand that there isn't a lot of range regarding housing size in that sort of development. Meri could have had a huge house like everyone else, but could have not been so greedy about it. She could easily have had the oldest teens rooms at her house ( they arent around much anyway ) so that the younger kids in each household had more space. I think that's what they would have done if they were acting like one family, instead of four.

I think if they really are one big family, they should do what any other big family would do and make sure the kids are provided for equally...with the adults getting whatever is left. That is different than each of the 4 wives getting an equal share to use for their own household.

I understand that there isn't a lot of range regarding housing size in that sort of development. Meri could have had a huge house like everyone else, but could have not been so greedy about it. She could easily have had the oldest teens rooms at her house ( they arent around much anyway ) so that the younger kids in each household had more space. I think that's what they would have done if they were acting like one family, instead of four.

Personally, I don't think Kody would have agreed to it. I see him liking Meri's house being free from teenagers and therefore parental responsibility. From recent clips we've seen Kody have to "deal" with boy fights at Janelle's, baby duties at Robyn's, and his in-a-good-not-in-a-good relationship at Christine's. Meri's house, with no children, a clean/picked up adult space to rest in, focused one-on-one attention, and a fun wife must be like heaven on earth. I honestly think that we'll see him say 'no' to more kids with Meri in next week's episode.

Personally, I don't think Kody would have agreed to it. I see him liking Meri's house being free from teenagers and therefore parental responsibility. From recent clips we've seen Kody have to "deal" with boy fights at Janelle's, baby duties at Robyn's, and his in-a-good-not-in-a-good relationship at Christine's. Meri's house, with no children, a clean/picked up adult space to rest in, focused one-on-one attention, and a fun wife must be like heaven on earth. I honestly think that we'll see him say 'no' to more kids with Meri in next week's episode.

I was thinking along the same lines. Meri clearly doesn't really want another (I think the tears are because of the religious pressure she feels, not because she really wants to have a baby in early middle age) and I can see Kody loving the idea of hanging at Meri's kid-free zone. And I know it's not saying much, but from what I saw, her house appeared to be much better decorated than the others.

'Tis funny really. After it's all said and done, Kody could end up living primarily in an empty-nest oasis with his first and only legal wife while all of drama with the other "wives" and the scores of children he created swirls around outside his castle walls. Tell me Kodster, was it worth it all?

Janelle is actually working with Mona to rent houses. I was stunned that, even though it was Janelle, there was a Brown working. Not sure if this is on SWB yet, but a lady who lives in Vegas told me about it. I'm not exaggerating, I was shocked.

Janelle is actually working with Mona to rent houses. I was stunned that, even though it was Janelle, there was a Brown working. Not sure if this is on SWB yet, but a lady who lives in Vegas told me about it. I'm not exaggerating, I was shocked.

I'm not surprised if this is the case. I had a marathon session of watching this season's episodes over the past two days and pretty much all of Janelle's interviews are on how she's so worried about paying bills. Seems like everyone else just talked about being house poor but it's worth it for the family while she mentions paying her lights, mortgage, and gas.

As for Mona, I'm wondering if she's interested in Janelle because A) she needs a partner to help handle the load (six weeks with no days off!) even if it's just office paperwork and/or B) thinks that she'll get more business by having a 'celebrity' as a partner. I could be completely off base but it makes me curious.

it's definitely on SWB; if you go to the web site for mona's real estate company, both janelle and christine were listed. not sure what stage of the licensure process they were at (and frankly, not even sure of the name of mona's company) but they were both listed as affiliated with the company along with publicity stills/head shots.

caveat: this discussion was several weeks ago so their status may have changed or the website may not be current.

I just cannot watch this anymore. I finally got the Dargers' book from Paperback Swap and the Browns are ridiculous compared to the Dargers. I understand why a Darger show did not make it on TLC. After all, while WE would enjoy watching the Dargers navigated so nimbly, the mess of the Browns in more in the TLC wheelhouse...

So Kody said "no". Now meri can protray the "victim" even more.....

Still finishing the last 10 minutes of the show, but OMG, what an ass!! I mean, he has a right to have that opinion... but then make it clear from day one that that's your position, don't keep pestering Meri to decide, decide, decide and THEN say, 'well, I'm not feeing it.'

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived