IGNORED

Sister wives coming back?

Eternalbluepearl

I would be shocked if Westminster waived her tuition.

Maybe they would for the publicity? Its a drop in the bucket for them, but she would be advertising for them on national TV. She already has talked about how much she loves it, she wears the shirt. That might actually be a smart move, to try to negotiate with the school. It sounds like a Kate Gosselin move!

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a therapist, I tend not to allow my therapy sessions to be taped for television. Further, we tend to do real work and do not write names on chalkboard blocks and pose for family structure alignment. But I digress.

If the family knew they could not afford a private school, they should have been upfront with Mariah from the start. One cannot magically make tuition money appear. This leads me to my next question- how do they divide living money between the women and their children? If you are the mom with 65 kids, you should clearly get more dough than the woman with one kid and a wet bar.

As a therapist, I tend not to allow my therapy sessions to be taped for television. Further, we tend to do real work and do not write names on chalkboard blocks and pose for family structure alignment. But I digress.

If the family knew they could not afford a private school, they should have been upfront with Mariah from the start. One cannot magically make tuition money appear. This leads me to my next question- how do they divide living money between the women and their children? If you are the mom with 65 kids, you should clearly get more dough than the woman with one kid and a wet bar.

They have said that the wives all get the same amount of money. Meri with one daughter gets the same amount as Janelle who has six kids to feed.

I'm not saying the Browns "should" pay for Mariah's first choice in a college; what I am saying is they "should"

have been at least discussing how to pay for potentially 17 college educations. First plan of action-get full time jobs! Second plan of action-don"t have huge homes! After you complete these to plans; then explain to your child when they are in their junior years the amount you can pay for college; do not wait until the 11th hour like what you are doing to Mariah to share with her you cannot afford it!!!

Couldn't agree more. If you are going to be polygamists and have a huge number of children, how to educate those children should have been Discussion #1 at the outset. Unless there are huge scholarships involved, all those kids should have been raised knowing they would have to go to State schools. Much like the Duggars, having a huge number of children may sound good in theory but in the real world, where you are responsible for those kids, there are realities that need to be addressed.

They have said that the wives all get the same amount of money. Meri with one daughter gets the same amount as Janelle who has six kids to feed.

It's horrendous logic. They should divide the money per person in the family, IMHO, not per wife. It's as if the kids are just afterthoughts.

I agree and I think Kody's suggestion that Meri use some of her money for Mariah's education makes sense. If it's enough for Janelle and Christine to feed seven people then why can't Meri find some extra money in her budget? I understand that it's not fair to Meri if she gets a lot less then everyone else but children are expensive. Perhaps there should be an amount per wife that each of them get and then so much per child for child related expenses.

As for Mariah I don't know why she can't just take out loans to cover the rest. My husband's parents' financial contribution was buying books for one semester so he has a lot of college loans because despite working full time he couldn't manage to pay for everything. It's not fun having to pay off his loans now but I think it was a better choice then him just not going to college. Of course he went to one of those evil state schools so the loan amounts aren't nearly as much. Are the Browns planning on paying for Mariah though medical school? Oh wait they won't bother talking about that until she's about to go right?

Does anyone else think Kody WILL take a fifth wife in the future? I think he will want a pretty young thing but not for several years. He got a lot of enjoyment in courting Robyn.

I agree and I think Kody's suggestion that Meri use some of her money for Mariah's education makes sense. If it's enough for Janelle and Christine to feed seven people then why can't Meri find some extra money in her budget? I understand that it's not fair to Meri if she gets a lot less then everyone else but children are expensive. Perhaps there should be an amount per wife that each of them get and then so much per child for child related expenses.

As for Mariah I don't know why she can't just take out loans to cover the rest. My husband's parents' financial contribution was buying books for one semester so he has a lot of college loans because despite working full time he couldn't manage to pay for everything. It's not fun having to pay off his loans now but I think it was a better choice then him just not going to college. Of course he went to one of those evil state schools so the loan amounts aren't nearly as much. Are the Browns planning on paying for Mariah though medical school? Oh wait they won't bother talking about that until she's about to go right?

I too do not understand why they don't divide up their finances more fairly.

Say they make 100,000. I'd give each wife 20,000, and roughly 1200/kid. Its important not to equate value with fertility, but the kids deserve an even quality of life.

I honestly don't get the whole to-do about money for college. MANY US students take out loans for college. If Mariah wants to go to an expensive college, her parents should counsel her about money, loans, etc., offer each child a certain amount for college and let them do what they want. She can get school loans and if she gets denied for the amount of loans she needs to pay for an expensive school then THAT'S a great life-lesson - you don't always get what you want and mommy and daddy aren't responsible for all of your choices.

How many of us have loans for college/grad school/med school/law school.....? I know I certainly do! I will be paying them off until a few years prior to expected retirement. And was it worth it? Hell yes! I love my profession.

I honestly don't get the whole to-do about money for college. MANY US students take out loans for college. If Mariah wants to go to an expensive college, her parents should counsel her about money, loans, etc., offer each child a certain amount for college and let them do what they want. She can get school loans and if she gets denied for the amount of loans she needs to pay for an expensive school then THAT'S a great life-lesson - you don't always get what you want and mommy and daddy aren't responsible for all of your choices.

How many of us have loans for college/grad school/med school/law school.....? I know I certainly do! I will be paying them off until a few years prior to expected retirement. And was it worth it? Hell yes! I love my profession.

I know!! Student loans aren't the worst thing in the world. And it's not as if the Browns are exactly the beacon of financial stability; they've had no problem borrowing or scamming money in the past!

I actually liked the new therapist, but the first therapist seemed nice but really unprofessional.

Just like if a C student sets their sights on a top tier school if a student sets their sights on a school the family can't afford, it's up to the parents to help the student develop a sense of reality. There seems to be more going on behind the scenes though since Mariah did end up going to Westminster. Maybe that's why the scene seemed so odd to many of us. It wasn't completely true to reality.

Meri's annoyance that they were paying for Logan seemed clear though, which gave me more reason to be annoyed with Meri. I do think it should be fair but it also shouldn't be paying more for just Mariah to attend college then four of the other children. Having such a large family there really should be X amount that they will cover and the rest is left up to the child to take out loans, work or just make sure they stick to the X amount. I only have two children but We put away money each month into individual accounts for our children plus adding any money they get as gifts. That will be their money for college beyond that it will really depend on our financial state at the time. If we're doing well we may pay the rest but by putting away the same amount the kids have at least a fair amount to start.

And Logan's tuition is apparently only 7k a year, and he works (although he lives in a dorm??). Plus his mom is Janelle and she's so practical, I'm sure she had it all budgeted for. What gets me is for 20 years Meri has been getting an equal share of the money. The other wives used it for their 6 kids each. Meri had ONE kid and she couldn't sock some of her excess away???

I know!! Student loans aren't the worst thing in the world. And it's not as if the Browns are exactly the beacon of financial stability; they've had no problem borrowing or scamming money in the past!

IIRC you cannot "bankrupt" your student loans. Someone should tell Mariah.

Exactly. Bankruptcy will not eliminate student loans...probably why the Browns are against it since bankruptcy is how they manage their finances.

Be warned... There will be another season, or at least VSE. The interviewer in the last episode made a comment about "next season" and on Twitter someone asked Janelle if we would get to see the recommitment ceremony and she answered 'yes.'

CrazyCatLady TY! You said exactly what I was thinking.

I know nothing about pre-med but I think a state school would have a better premed program. I may be wrong...:)

I agree the parents should have been upfront about what they could afford from the start. I applied to a few more expensive private schools but my parents made it clear they wouldn't be paying all of it and I would have to take out loans. The one thing that stood out to me and I still remember is that my dad and I were both really into two of these schools (my dad took me on a road trip to visit many of the schools I was considering), but he pointed out that if I wanted to do any school after college I would most likely have to take loans out for that so it might be better to avoid having as much undergrad debt. At the time I did not have concrete plans, but continuing school after college seemed likely to be something I'd want to do. (I ended up choosing a school that offered me a good scholarship; I liked the school a lot but the scholarship was a big part of my decision too.) That's what I would advise Mariah in this situation. I highly doubt her parents would be able to afford med school and I don't think TLC would shell out for that either lol. It seems like a public school would be a safe bet.

Mrs, the thing about med school is you don't even have to be a science major to get in, you just have to take certain required classes (mostly intro sciences). Depending on the state school vs say a small liberal arts college they might have more opportunities for science research or have an affiliated hospital you can volunteer or shadow at, though.

I'm team Janelle! Just had to add that. I haven't watched the (2) season finale(s) yet. I hope to tonight. I stopped watching last season. Too boring for me but this season is looking up!

Be warned... There will be another season, or at least VSE. The interviewer in the last episode made a comment about "next season" and on Twitter someone asked Janelle if we would get to see the recommitment ceremony and she answered 'yes.'

I wonder if as far as Janelle and Kody are concerned that it will end up like Jon and Kate -- break up and divorce (not necessary for J&K) right after.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived