IGNORED

Food that should never come from a can?

OkToBeTakei

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes, OK, I make HM soup too (though most usually with canned tomatoes!). But as you say, Heinz soup is a national institution, ministering to the sick!111eleventy! It is a totally different thing to 'proper' soup. :lol: Did you see the promo on FB last year where you could order special tins with personalised labels on, saying "Get Well Soon xxx".

Baked beans... setting aside the salty sugary goodness of it all, they do make for an acceptable occasional meal. However, I think my mother takes things a step far when she occasionally serves Heinz spaghetti as a vegetable option! :mrgreen:

Thanks to whoever posted the link to the canned whole chicken. That is just fabulous! If they had had those in 1970s England, I am sure my mam would have served one up for Sunday dinner. Or a mid-week 'roast' even. :shock:

Our comfort sick day food growing up was knorr packets of chicken noodle soup. I still keep a pack in the cupboard for such times.

But... but.... corned beef hash? :D

Well IF I had ever made it with tinned corned beef IF I say, I may have added onions sauteed in butter, some carrots and yummy potatoes mashed with butter and milk. But that would only be IF I had ever made it :D

Guest Anonymous

Can you even get 'fresh' corned beef? I have no idea what process is involved in the 'corning' of the beef but I have always thought is was a method developed for canning purposes.

Yes. In Ireland. But it is not like the corned beef we are talking about. I was brought up on it. Pickled or brined beef I suppose. Not a world away from pastrami. Served with cabbage of course. :D

No idea what is in the tinned version but it does taste good, you can get sliced at the deli counter but it still looks like some processed squashed stuff. Like luncheon meat. Whatever happened to luncheon meat OR Haslet OMG :lol:

Guest Anonymous

I just googled and saw genuine corned beef. Definitely a step up from the tinned stuff, but you'd really not go to all that faff for a camping meal, which is what hash traditionally is for.

It is very funny to think how we turn our noses up at some foodstuffs, but consider others a delicacy, even though the processes are similar...

So where I live, canned peach slices in syrup is considered a cheap, unhealthy, 70s throwback, but a pot of home-made jam (which is essentially overcooked fruit mixed with its own weight in sugar) is a treat to be savoured... :D

Exactly. Call it Creme Brulee and you feel ok. Call it Custard with toffee on top, not so much :lol:

I had a recent stay with the charming NHS and have been left with a Jelly addiction. Seriously the last time I ate it I was 10. They actually served it with tinned pears one day which were mushy sweet yumminess. Sugar is probably the additive that does not scare me. Things with numbers and codes though? They freak me a bit.

Guest Anonymous

The single Great Foody Wrongness from my childhood was tinned pears with tinned Ideal milk. That should never have been allowed. :mrgreen:

The single Great Foody Wrongness from my childhood was tinned pears with tinned Ideal milk. That should never have been allowed. :mrgreen:

Haha I remember that being a staple mid-week pud. Or fruit cocktail, fight over the single cherry. Evaporated milk! What on earth made us think that was OK, it says it in the name. Probably why my Mum called it 'Carnation' :lol:

Guest Anonymous

I still buy tinned fruit occasionally, a fact which amused my mother until she realised she'd like some too and Sainsburys only sell it in natural juice these days. I had to drive her over to chavsda for the 'real thing'.

I particularly like the slippery nature of tinned peaches when I have a sore throat. It is the perfect pudding to follow Heinz tomato soup with soft white sliced bread. :D

I still buy tinned fruit occasionally, a fact which amused my mother until she realised she'd like some too and Sainsburys only sell it in natural juice these days. I had to drive her over to chavsda for the 'real thing'.

I particularly like the slippery nature of tinned peaches when I have a sore throat. It is the perfect pudding to follow Heinz tomato soup with soft white sliced bread. :D

:lol:

Fresh corned beef is a salt cured cut of beef. Also called silver side. I think it's the same as brisket? It's a popular deli meat in the US? We eat it in Ireland boiled or steamed with cabbage and spuds. A traditional Dublin Christmas meat is spiced beef. A side of corned beef heavily spiced.

I love real corned beef, great stuff.

All this preserved and modified food talk reminds me of one of my greatest childhood enemies: Powdered milk. I used to drink a shit ton of milk when I was a kid and as we were pretty poor back in the day my mom would occasionally make the powdered stuff to save money, pour it into the normal milk carton and hope I wouldnt notice. I did, and man I threw a fit every time. Nasty stuff.

We dont do a lot of processed foods nowadays, mostly due to my mother and I having a High Fructose Corn Syrup allergy that developed several years ago. The whole topic of the ingredient itself and food preservatives in general is a fascinating subject for me.

I love the crunchy noodles, too. And I grew up in Idaho where Asian food (in the 70's) wasn't much better at the restaurants. Then I moved to Seattle and realized Asian food is never, ever, EVER La Choy.

But I do like those crunchy noodles still.

I eat those crunchy noodles as a snack. :D They even have fiber in them, so I pretend they're healthier than chips.

Like ems, I don't mind canned crab, but only if it's mixed with creamy stuff (so made into crab dip or crab rangoon).

And I'm totally guilty of using canned beans for almost everything. The dried beans at my favorite stores tend to be old and hard to soften, so I suck it up and pay a few cents more for the canned (helps that there have been Goya bean coupons lately which make them cheapcheap). Have been campaigning for a pressure cooker to remedy this problem (and a few others), but a good one is so expensive!

I eat those crunchy noodles as a snack. :D They even have fiber in them, so I pretend they're healthier than chips.

Like ems, I don't mind canned crab, but only if it's mixed with creamy stuff (so made into crab dip or crab rangoon).

And I'm totally guilty of using canned beans for almost everything. The dried beans at my favorite stores tend to be old and hard to soften, so I suck it up and pay a few cents more for the canned (helps that there have been Goya bean coupons lately which make them cheapcheap). Have been campaigning for a pressure cooker to remedy this problem (and a few others), but a good one is so expensive!

I have a "good" pressure cooker (It's a Kuhn Rikon) and I still buy canned cooked beans. They are cheap and honestly, I've tried many times to make good beans in my PC and they just don't turn out the way I want them to. I was all fired up to try to replicate Bush's baked beans in the can and found a great recipe and you know what? They are better in the can. I do use my PC a few times a week for other things that turn out fabulous (the flavors seal so nicely -- nothing like the mush crap that comes from a slow cooker where everything tastes the same). But I like my cooked beans from cans! :)

Guest Anonymous

I have a "good" pressure cooker (It's a Kuhn Rikon) and I still buy canned cooked beans. They are cheap and honestly, I've tried many times to make good beans in my PC and they just don't turn out the way I want them to. I was all fired up to try to replicate Bush's baked beans in the can and found a great recipe and you know what? They are better in the can. I do use my PC a few times a week for other things that turn out fabulous (the flavors seal so nicely -- nothing like the mush crap that comes from a slow cooker where everything tastes the same). But I like my cooked beans from cans! :)

I have this problem too. I find that the only way not to have the bean skins split is to let the pressure release naturally, rather than doing it manually. But then you are adding extra cooking time, while the pan is not up to pressure but is still hot and bubbling away. I don't actually like pressure cooked food unless it is stuff that it is fine to have a little leeway in the cooking time... like with stews and soups and suchlike.

I have this problem too. I find that the only way not to have the bean skins split is to let the pressure release naturally, rather than doing it manually. But then you are adding extra cooking time, while the pan is not up to pressure but is still hot and bubbling away. I don't actually like pressure cooked food unless it is stuff that it is fine to have a little leeway in the cooking time... like with stews and soups and suchlike.

Yes, that's mostly what I use it for -- soups and stews. YUM. I like that I can throw an entire chicken in with veggies and water and have the chicken fully cooked in 20 minutes. Makes for some fine chicken soup and leftover chopped chicken for another use. Today I am making a spicy lentil soup that is a fave. I'm glad I'm not the only one that has had challenges making beans in the PC. I have also had good luck buying cheaper cuts of meat and tenderizing them with herbs and broth in the PC quite quickly, and that works in my household where my boys are carnivores.

Thanks, that's good to know! Still want a pressure cooker for stew and stuff, but my knock off Le Cruset Dutch oven will have to tide me over now that I know the pressure cooker isn't so helpful for dried beans. Now I can stop feeling guilty about buying canned! :)

Yes. In Ireland. But it is not like the corned beef we are talking about. I was brought up on it. Pickled or brined beef I suppose. Not a world away from pastrami. Served with cabbage of course. :D

No idea what is in the tinned version but it does taste good, you can get sliced at the deli counter but it still looks like some processed squashed stuff. Like luncheon meat. Whatever happened to luncheon meat OR Haslet OMG :lol:

See, and my mental image of corned beef is a brisket looking thing. Maybe i've been spending too much time at the Jewish deli! ha !

Maybe the nasty stuff is what I had growing up, maybe that's why I won't eat it... but I seem to remember it being like brisket in texture though.

I like my canned beans and canned diced tomatoes. To me, these are good forms of quick, cheap food. Sure, I could soak and cook beans if I planned out my hummus 24 hours in advance....or I could open some cans, rinse off the chick peas or black beans, and whip up some homemade hummus or black bean dip in minutes.

I will also cook with evaporated milk. I use it as a lower fat substitute for cream. It works in saag paneer and in my creamy salmon and spinach pasta sauce.

I like my canned beans and canned diced tomatoes. To me, these are good forms of quick, cheap food. Sure, I could soak and cook beans if I planned out my hummus 24 hours in advance....or I could open some cans, rinse off the chick peas or black beans, and whip up some homemade hummus or black bean dip in minutes.

I will also cook with evaporated milk. I use it as a lower fat substitute for cream. It works in saag paneer and in my creamy salmon and spinach pasta sauce.[/quote]

Okay, when can I come to your house to eat? YUMMMMMMM!

Archived