IGNORED

Food that should never come from a can?

OkToBeTakei

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

See, and my mental image of corned beef is a brisket looking thing. Maybe i've been spending too much time at the Jewish deli! ha !

Maybe the nasty stuff is what I had growing up, maybe that's why I won't eat it... but I seem to remember it being like brisket in texture though.

Corned beef is indeed made from the whole brisket. The DD got adventurous this summer and corned her own brisket and it was divine. I was able to get my Grandfather's old recipe and with some modifications (pickling in a bag rather than a crock) the results were worth a weeks wait for the finished product.

Can I add to the list of necessary-canned-goods... Coconut milk.

ETA for Thai curries. Unsweetened.

Agreed! A staple pantry item at my house.

Along with canned baby corns and canned artichoke hearts (not in oil) for salads. And olives -- gotta have sliced black olives on hand.

Agreed.

Absolutely not, I pick and get the milk out of my own coconuts, what with living in Sunny Scotland :lol:

Agreed, a total necessity for curries. Ghee another necessity that comes in a tin.

I like the Aldi brand of crescent rolls in a can. They are buttery goodness.

I like them too, as well as the pillsbury brand. I'm under no misconception that they count as real croissants or anything, but I still like them. I eat them by themselves, and use them to make a knockoff version of the breakfast souffles they sell at Panera. Those things are magically delicious.

Ok I need to know about the sardines. What kind do you start with? Just the plain packed in evoo? How long do they simmer and do you use sweet soy or regular?

It's my mom's recipe. Equal parts of regular soy and sugar, regular ol' oil pack sardines, just simmer until the sugar has dissolved and the sardines start to break up. It looks hideous, but tastes sooo good. Mom calls it sato joyu sardines. Mom was saying that Japanese Americans of her parents generation cooked everything from chicken or sardines to hot dogs and canned tuna that way.

Guest Anonymous

I have only been reading this thread sporadically, so I don't know if this has already been said. Forgive me if it has.

I don't have any problem with any canned foods, not even the dreaded Cream-of-Blah soups. I think it's important to remember that you're often talking about two completely different products. If you expect tinned corned beef to be the same as deli corned beef, or you expect a tin of soup to be the same as homemade soup, then you are obviously going to be disappointed (and possibly even a little disgusted). But if you accept that they are two entirely different products then your problems melt away. Sometimes I want fresh-tasting, chilli-hot, homemade salsa (like tonight), sometimes I want the sweet, gloopy stuff that comes in a jar. It depends what I'm eating it with.

It's the same as sometimes wanting homemade lemonade (sour, cloudy, maybe a little sugary), and sometimes wanting the shop-bought stuff (not remotely sour, chemical-sweet, clear, and bubbly).

It's my mom's recipe. Equal parts of regular soy and sugar, regular ol' oil pack sardines, just simmer until the sugar has dissolved and the sardines start to break up. It looks hideous, but tastes sooo good. Mom calls it sato joyu sardines. Mom was saying that Japanese Americans of her parents generation cooked everything from chicken or sardines to hot dogs and canned tuna that way.

It sounds tasty and nutritious. I'm a lover of simple stuff like this with perhaps some grated cucumbers dressed in mirin on the side. TYVM Hapamama.

I have only been reading this thread sporadically, so I don't know if this has already been said. Forgive me if it has.

I don't have any problem with any canned foods, not even the dreaded Cream-of-Blah soups. I think it's important to remember that you're often talking about two completely different products. If you expect tinned corned beef to be the same as deli corned beef, or you expect a tin of soup to be the same as homemade soup, then you are obviously going to be disappointed (and possibly even a little disgusted). But if you accept that they are two entirely different products then your problems melt away. Sometimes I want fresh-tasting, chilli-hot, homemade salsa (like tonight), sometimes I want the sweet, gloopy stuff that comes in a jar. It depends what I'm eating it with.

It's the same as sometimes wanting homemade lemonade (sour, cloudy, maybe a little sugary), and sometimes wanting the shop-bought stuff (not remotely sour, chemical-sweet, clear, and bubbly).

This is so key.

I like raspberries. One of my favorite things.

But if I buy a raspberry hard candy and it tastes like raspberry (it happened once) instead of fake-raspberry, it's awful--not because raspberry isn't wonderful (it is) but because I was expecting the sugary taste of fake red flavoring and got...raspberries.

Sometimes you want 'still in the shape of a can' cranberry sauce. sometimes you want bits of cranberry to kersplode and be yummy.

I consider 'poor man's meal' a comfort food. (it's ring bologna fried w/ veggies [whatever was lying around, traditionally, canned peas] and potatoes in a 'white sauce'). It's awful and I'd never feed it to guests.

But...I may actually make some tonight because it's something that gives me warm fuzzies.

I do use sweetened condensed milk in a can to make microwave fudge. It is so easy and tastes so good.

Haha I remember that being a staple mid-week pud. Or fruit cocktail, fight over the single cherry. Evaporated milk! What on earth made us think that was OK, it says it in the name. Probably why my Mum called it 'Carnation' :lol:

In the US the canned fruit cocktail had multiple halves of cherries. My mom would count them out to make sure that we all got the same number.

Auto correct just tried to change cocktail to oxtail.

hapamama or GVC, can you help me on this one?

I stayed in Japan for a bit and there was a fish on a stick, about as long as my middle finger. The fish had a fang in its mouth. It tasted fairly gross to me. You had to eat all the bones, etc.

What might this fish be called?

In the US the canned fruit cocktail had multiple halves of cherries. My mom would count them out to make sure that we all got the same number.

Auto correct just tried to change cocktail to oxtail.

Ohhhh, fruit cocktail. Party in a can! Those cherries were disgusting (at least I thought so). I would always pick out the pears and grapes. And don't even start me on what most people did with that stuff and a box of jello. Blech.

It sounds tasty and nutritious. I'm a lover of simple stuff like this with perhaps some grated cucumbers dressed in mirin on the side. TYVM Hapamama.

Seconded hapamama. I'm going to give this a try this weekend with canned salmon and the addition of red pepper flakes. :mrgreen:

Well IF I had ever made it with tinned corned beef IF I say, I may have added onions sauteed in butter, some carrots and yummy potatoes mashed with butter and milk. But that would only be IF I had ever made it :D

What? Who needs to MAKE corned beef hash when you can just buy it... in a CAN?? :lol:

41UakGq6PbL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

It really looks like dog food for humans. Complete with the sllllluuuuuurrrrrrppppp! sound as it sliiiiiides out of the can.

Speaking of which, how about canned cranberry sauce? Traditional thing at so many US Thanksgivings. The trick is to get it out of the can still in the can shape, and slice it!

cranberry_can.jpg

The cranberry sauce is definitely one of those things that is just a food all by itself - there's regular cranberry sauce that's more... sauce (usually homemade) which is good, and then there's the canned jelly stuff, which is also good, but just a completely separate thing entirely.

What? Who needs to MAKE corned beef hash when you can just buy it... in a CAN?? :lol:

41UakGq6PbL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

It really looks like dog food for humans. Complete with the sllllluuuuuurrrrrrppppp! sound as it sliiiiiides out of the can.

Speaking of which, how about canned cranberry sauce? Traditional thing at so many US Thanksgivings. The trick is to get it out of the can still in the can shape, and slice it!

cranberry_can.jpg

The cranberry sauce is definitely one of those things that is just a food all by itself - there's regular cranberry sauce that's more... sauce (usually homemade) which is good, and then there's the canned jelly stuff, which is also good, but just a completely separate thing entirely.

OMG, anything with the name "Hormel" on it is definitely un-canworthy! Blech!

And the cranberry "sauce" (more like cylindrical gel with tin can ruffle marks on the exterior -- you know, to make it fancy enough for your formal table!). Good one, GVC! I'd almost forgotten about that since we actually make our cranberry sauce from scratch.

I have a "good" pressure cooker (It's a Kuhn Rikon) and I still buy canned cooked beans. They are cheap and honestly, I've tried many times to make good beans in my PC and they just don't turn out the way I want them to. I was all fired up to try to replicate Bush's baked beans in the can and found a great recipe and you know what? They are better in the can. I do use my PC a few times a week for other things that turn out fabulous (the flavors seal so nicely -- nothing like the mush crap that comes from a slow cooker where everything tastes the same). But I like my cooked beans from cans! :)

I had a pressure cooker and gave it away (I'm mostly vegan and don't cook anything from scratch without beans in it, and a pressure cooker just does NOT work -- beans are much too foamy). But you'll pry my 6-qt. crockpots out of my cold dead hands. I bought canned beans when I lived in the dorms and couldn't cook, but crockpots make the process so much easier, and they're about a fifth the price of the canned, if that. I just cook in bulk and then freeze.

Seconded hapamama. I'm going to give this a try this weekend with canned salmon and the addition of red pepper flakes. :mrgreen:

I just spotted two cans of salmon in the cabinet. I am going to try this too.

I just thought of another thing that should never be canned: sauerkraut. Bagged, jarred-- fine. Fresh-- better. Canned? Never!

Sauerkraut comes canned? Good lord, there is no telling how old that cabbage is! Gross!

Archived