IGNORED

Food that should never come from a can?

OkToBeTakei

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only canned foods I use with any regularity are beans and tomatoes. The former take too long to prepare from scratch. The latter are only good in the summer.

I remember having a fair amount of canned ham as a kid. In fact it was years before I learned that there were hams that weren't canned. I liked them well enough as a kid, but now I see them as too rubbery and salty.

I used to be fine with sliceable cranberry sauce until I ate enough homemade. Now I think the canned tastes weird and chemical-y. My SIL feels the opposite, which means both kinds of cranberry sauce have to be on the Thanksgiving table.

You guys mentioned pickled eggs, but I saw no beet pickled eggs. I used to see those all the time while attending college in PA Dutch country. You let the egg soak in (likely jarred or canned) pickled beet juice. I found the purple lumps floating in a bowl of beets at the cafeteria salad bar rather disturbing.

I admit I LOVE canned biscuits and crescent rolls. I don't make any comparisons between crescent rolls and croissants though. To me they are totally different animals. I almost never buy them. I usually make my own biscuits, but secretly in my heart I prefer the canned ones.

Now I'm guilty of making what I call "Half-Assed Chili" from chili beans, black beans, a can of corn kernels, and salsa that I just microwave together for a quick meal. I'm in college though so I think I have a free pass on that one. But MEAT in a can??? :puke-front: And that thing about Spam being the closest taste to human flesh? Well I have never been happier to be a vegan!

I was in a gas station and saw a can of opossum :shock: . I hope it was a joke, but it was with the cans of spaghetti and stuff so I'm thinking it was for real. I just threw up a little. Hope this doesn't trigger your gag reflex. Sorry in advance.

Did we do tongues? I can't remember. It's hard to beat the canned burger and pork brains though. Can't upload the photo anyway...

My mom used to eat canned tongue growing up. Apparently it was no big deal back then.

My mom says they used to make sandwiches using something called "potted meat." I know it is some type of meat from a can. I don't even know if you can buy it anymore. It doesn't sound very appetizing to say the least!

Did we do tongues? I can't remember. It's hard to beat the canned burger and pork brains though. Can't upload the photo anyway...

I think tongue was done. I'm just not brave enough to go back and look in case I meet the chicken :shock:

OKTBT, I'm off FJ for a day and you kill ET. I'm so sad.

He went home :(

Not actually canned, but in Britian there is something called "meat paste" which is used to make sandwiches. It actually comes in Jars and from the outside (I've never bought it) it looks exactly like it sounds like it would look like. Of course, after initially scouring the supermarket for these unusual finds when I moved here seven years ago, I forgot about it. I, therefore, found it incredibly funny when my partner and I were once talking about what we had in our packed lunches for school and he said he usually had paste sandwiches. I, of course, envisaged him eating something like this:

http://theconsumerlink.com/imagesEdp/elmers/p56529b.jpg

Apparently they do not have similar jokes in the UK about children eating paste at school.

Not actually canned, but in Britian there is something called "meat paste" which is used to make sandwiches. It actually comes in Jars and from the outside (I've never bought it) it looks exactly like it sounds like it would look like. Of course, after initially scouring the supermarket for these unusual finds when I moved here seven years ago, I forgot about it. I, therefore, found it incredibly funny when my partner and I were once talking about what we had in our packed lunches for school and he said he usually had paste sandwiches. I, of course, envisaged him eating something like this:

Apparently they do not have similar jokes in the UK about children eating paste at school.

OH MY I had totally forgotten about that gloop. It used to be made by Shiphams (sp) Now it is made by Princes. No I don't buy it :lol:

I find it hard to believe ANYONE buys it. Although the partner did point out that it was like cheap pate, so I guess that makes sense. Sort of? My other favourite is hungryman All Day Breakfast in a can. That and its evil twin The Full Monty. Who came up with that??? And, who buys enough of it for them to stay in business???

Oh, there still ARE canned peas. I don't understand why anyone would buy them though in 2012 when you can get flash frozen peas, which are every bit as convenient and cheap but can be steamed quickly in the microwave and come out still well-formed and bright green. I mean, you can get a giant bag on sale for $1.

(Well, if you don't have a freezer...)

This thread has made me think about canned vegetables generally. Used to be that was all there was aside from fresh, but the technical issues of the canning process mean that canned vegetables pretty much have to be cooked to death, and so are mushy. I suspect a lot of people who "don't like vegetables" don't like that mushiness, because I am certainly one of them. Asparagus in a can I just can't even imagine.

I remember canned asparagus from being a kid. Salty, mushy, a little stringy. I wouldn't buy or eat it now, but I kinda remember it fondly. It wasn't a vegetable (other than, y'know, actually being a vegetable) it was more it's own thing.

The only canned foods I use with any regularity are beans and tomatoes. The former take too long to prepare from scratch. The latter are only good in the summer.

I remember having a fair amount of canned ham as a kid. In fact it was years before I learned that there were hams that weren't canned. I liked them well enough as a kid, but now I see them as too rubbery and salty.

I used to be fine with sliceable cranberry sauce until I ate enough homemade. Now I think the canned tastes weird and chemical-y. My SIL feels the opposite, which means both kinds of cranberry sauce have to be on the Thanksgiving table.

You guys mentioned pickled eggs, but I saw no beet pickled eggs. I used to see those all the time while attending college in PA Dutch country. You let the egg soak in (likely jarred or canned) pickled beet juice. I found the purple lumps floating in a bowl of beets at the cafeteria salad bar rather disturbing.

I admit I LOVE canned biscuits and crescent rolls. I don't make any comparisons between crescent rolls and croissants though. To me they are totally different animals. I almost never buy them. I usually make my own biscuits, but secretly in my heart I prefer the canned ones.

Eggs pickled in beet juice are actually pretty good. I've never seen them for sale, but my mom always made them, so I grew up eating them. You take canned pickled beets with the juice and a jar of the little hot yellow wax peppers, also with the juice. Not pepperoncini, the little hot peppers. Then you add your hard boiled eggs and let them set for at least a couple of days. The eggs turn bright purple. My daughter once got the bright idea to make a devilled egg out of one of them. I don't recommend it. It tasted as bad as it looked.

I also love canned biscuits and crescent rolls. You can fill them with anything before you bake them and it will taste good!

The only canned food we use around here is tuna and canned tomato products (diced, stewed, sauce, paste), because they keep and can be used for every kind of cooking. All other foods are fresh or frozen. Especially veggies. I've never understood the allure of canned veggies when frozen are just as convenient and so much better.

I keep canned beans around as well as the canned tomatoes. We also have some canned pineapple, bamboo shoots and water chestnuts. And Mr. Bisky likes canned corned beef.

Peas and corn and edamame are better frozen than fresh. Everything else is fresh veggies.

If it makes anybody feel any better, the All Day Breakfast now comes in a special vegetarian sausage option :D

Yes, because THAT was what I was worried about!

I remember having sandwiches with that in for my lunch at school. It was disgusting.

I once had a friend who ate canned bacon. In my home canned food is for when you are out of everything else. I am trying to use what I have lately though as my pantry tends to get overfull.

I once had a friend who ate canned bacon. In my home canned food is for when you are out of everything else. I am trying to use what I have lately though as my pantry tends to get overfull.

Canned bacon :o That should be a crime. Do you cook it or is it already cooked?

http://beprepared.com/product.asp?pn=FS ... MgodSAMAlw

eta link

Archived