IGNORED

Food that should never come from a can?

OkToBeTakei

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Huh. I buy canned whole champignon mushrooms for homemade pizza because I can't ever find them fresh, and they're just the right size for personal pizzas. They're not mushy or discoloured at all, they're completely recognisable as what they are and they usually don't taste like the cans or the water they're packed in. Are you talking about bigger mushrooms? I've only ever seen canned button and champignon mushrooms.

Yup! My nanny put some in an omelet (with green peppers and other yummy stuff!) and it was soooooo goooooood. :)

I'm ok with canned beans,canned fruit, most canned veggies. I don't eat "meat-in-a-can" or any kind of meat that I don't know what it is! *sigh* Hubby LOVES his spam and his bologna though. Yucky.

Canned whole birds always make me think of that old episode of MASH in which Charles and Margaret get food poisoning from a canned pheasant. Has anyone ever read Steve Don't Eat It? In it Steve tries such canned "delicacies" as silk worm pupa, huitlacoche and potted meat.

Bacon in a can doesn't even make sense. I thought bacon was created to last a long time? Isn't that why it's salted and cured?

Anything that comes in a can with "Campbell's" on the label. Just about everything that company sells makes me gag. It's so salty and gross.

I'm ok though, with other canned soups (though I, er, 'doctor' them anyway, but I do that with most pre-packaged food). I don't mind canned veggies, fruit, or croissants. Fresh is better, but I don't mind canned.

I will not, however, eat meat out of a can. That's disgusting. Meat does not ever belong in a can, especially if it's for human consumption.

I like canned veggies- greenbeans and corn and canned fruit like pears and the fruit cocktail.

Canned chicken is good for making dips too.

Canned whole birds always make me think of that old episode of MASH in which Charles and Margaret get food poisoning from a canned pheasant. Has anyone ever read Steve Don't Eat It? In it Steve tries such canned "delicacies" as silk worm pupa, huitlacoche and potted meat.

That website is HILARIOUS. I love the one where he finally gets the courage to eat some giant shelf fungus growing on the tree in his front yard (after having it properly identified by an expert) and it's the best thing he's ever eaten ever, so he can't wait for it to grow back...

Anything that comes in a can with "Campbell's" on the label. Just about everything that company sells makes me gag. It's so salty and gross.

I'm ok though, with other canned soups (though I, er, 'doctor' them anyway, but I do that with most pre-packaged food). I don't mind canned veggies, fruit, or croissants. Fresh is better, but I don't mind canned.

I will not, however, eat meat out of a can. That's disgusting. Meat does not ever belong in a can, especially if it's for human consumption.

YES THIS.

I like Heinz tomato soup, it's my comfort food. I put parmesan cheese in it, mix it about and sprinkle black pepper on top.

But much as I love haggis, meat in a can is disgusting. A haggis does not really go in a can. It is supposed to be fresh. And bacon in a can, I have no image of this which doesn't make me want to puke violently.

if it's a small pressure cooker then it does not work, but my new pressure cooker is sure cooking all my beans for me! no more cans!

What brand is your pressure cooker? And what size?

Oh man, did you have to post that? The thread is making me feel sick enough :lol:

WHY

How would you even get turkey in a can. How.

And I thought oxtail soup from a can was bad enough!

Seconded hapamama. I'm going to give this a try this weekend with canned salmon and the addition of red pepper flakes. :mrgreen:

If you do it with the sardines, remember to drain the oil off. I forgot about that part. You can also doctor it up with ginger and/or garlic, but for nostalgias sake I keep it simple.

hapamama or GVC, can you help me on this one?

I stayed in Japan for a bit and there was a fish on a stick, about as long as my middle finger. The fish had a fang in its mouth. It tasted fairly gross to me. You had to eat all the bones, etc.

What might this fish be called?

I'm going to punt this one to GVC. I'm more familiar with Japanese-American iterations of Japanese food. I think I've seen what you're talking about at a couple of the Japanese grocery stores here, but don't recall the name.

That website is HILARIOUS. I love the one where he finally gets the courage to eat some giant shelf fungus growing on the tree in his front yard (after having it properly identified by an expert) and it's the best thing he's ever eaten ever, so he can't wait for it to grow back...

Here's the link:

http://www.thesneeze.com/steve-dont-eat-it/

LMAO.

I bet you like some things that that company sells- do you like pepperidge farm cookies? When I was a kid they also owned Godiva. My childhood neighbor was an engineer for the company and brought us all kinds of stuff from the company store, so it's very much comfort food for me. (kind of like the horribly salty instant soup is comfort food for some others here.) I adore bean with bacon when I'm not feeling so well, and have to admit to the occasional treat of spaghetti-o's. I also like their clam chowder.

(He'd bring home cases of stuff and then his wife would point out that it was way too much for just the two of them. One time I remember her ranting about 5 cases of pace picante that he brought home, they didn't even eat salsa, but it was something like 5 cases for $1 and he couldn't resist. My mom wouldn't buy us spaghetti-os, but he did!)

And bacon in a can, I have no image of this which doesn't make me want to puke violently.

Here you go. paratusfamiliablog.com/2010/06/canning-bacon.html (it isn't commercially canned bacon, but she makes reference to it.)

Found this under 'worst holiday gifts'. You've gotta love meat that comes with neat corners. Mmmmm

It's Ham Rove!

cr_06036_01_v6.jpg?width=400&height=323&crop=true

I think a couple times in my life I've seen something on the supermarket shelves called potted meat. I have no idea what it is and I'm too afraid to find out....however, I do remember my dad occasionally making sandwiches out of deviled ham....haven't seen that in awhile but I don't remember ever trying it.

Guest Anonymous

I love cranberry sauce and hash from cans. My father used to love the hash with a fried egg on top. During summer, fruit in juice, not syrup, is good out of the fridge. I also love peas from cans. Mushy gushy peas. But asparagus from a can is an abomination to food.

Guest Anonymous
I think a couple times in my life I've seen something on the supermarket shelves called potted meat. I have no idea what it is and I'm too afraid to find out....however, I do remember my dad occasionally making sandwiches out of deviled ham....haven't seen that in awhile but I don't remember ever trying it.

Underwood makes the deviled ham, and there's a chicken too. They're really good.

Archived