IGNORED

Food that should never come from a can?

OkToBeTakei

My mom and I can't be the only people who love canned green beans, right? I enjoy the frozen ones and love fresh but there's just something about the taste of the canned ones....

I have a girlfriend that loves french cut green beans from a can.

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh my god Alanis! I never knew about chicken in a can! That looks really gross! And some of the other stuff doesn't look right either! Cheeseburgers in a can? Why?! WHYYYYYYY!

I once tried the crescent rolls in a tube (had a coupon). Info for anyone who's never had them -- it's not really a can, but a cardboard tube that pops open. To me, they had a non-food taste -- like a metallic or plastic-y flavor -- hard to describe.

Those tubes are the adult version of the Jack-in-the-Box.

I admit, I LOVE bread from tubes. Doesn't matter if it's biscuits or cresents or whatever. Also, quick idea- I haven't tried this yet so IDK how well they would turn out, but the crescents would probably be good for pizza rolls.

When I was a kid, I loved canned Vienna Sausages. Tried one recently for nostalgia, was not impressed. SPAM is really popular here as well. And Pilot Bread, but that's not canned, just has a really long shelf life.

When I was a kid, I loved canned Vienna Sausages. Tried one recently for nostalgia, was not impressed. SPAM is really popular here as well. And Pilot Bread, but that's not canned, just has a really long shelf life.

We can no longer get Pilot Bread down here, what's up with that?

I have a girlfriend that loves french cut green beans from a can.

I like Italian style green beans from the can. Every now and then I crave canned spinach.

I like Italian style green beans from the can.

That and canned turnip greens are the only veggies my boyfriends dad will eat. He takes them out of the can and cooks them till they'e even More grey.

We can no longer get Pilot Bread down here, what's up with that?

Probably demand was low. I also read a while back that sailor boy ended up under the umbrella of Kraft and changed the recipe.

"Crescent rolls" is a name brand for Pillsbury's croissants.

They're not croissants. They're butterhorn rolls. There's a difference.

They're also an important part of sopapilla cheesecake. Om nom nom.

The only canned meats I use are sardines, tuna, salmon and spam. Oh, and I occasionally buy canned chicken breast soley for use in chicken salad for sandwiches.

The sardines I simmer in soy sauce and sugar and serve on a hot bowl of rice. Tuna for Tuna Salad, or for Hawaiian Style mac salad... I'm not going to buy fresh tuna for tuna salad sandwiches. The salmon I eat flaked over a hot bowl of rice with a drizzle of soy sauce. I make the spam for the kids as a treat because they love spam musubi.

The only canned meats I use are sardines, tuna, salmon and spam. Oh, and I occasionally buy canned chicken breast soley for use in chicken salad for sandwiches.

The sardines I simmer in soy sauce and sugar and serve on a hot bowl of rice. Tuna for Tuna Salad, or for Hawaiian Style mac salad... I'm not going to buy fresh tuna for tuna salad sandwiches. The salmon I eat flaked over a hot bowl of rice with a drizzle of soy sauce. I make the spam for the kids as a treat because they love spam musubi.

Ok I need to know about the sardines. What kind do you start with? Just the plain packed in evoo? How long do they simmer and do you use sweet soy or regular?

That and canned turnip greens are the only veggies my boyfriends dad will eat. He takes them out of the can and cooks them till they'e even More grey.

My dad loves canned greens. He'll stick a can in the oven at work and eat that on his lunch break.

I usually eat my veggies raw. I hate cooked bell pepper but love it raw. And nothing beats tomatoes from the farmers' market sliced and sprinkled with salt and pepper.

LOL to canned salmon. My cousin ran a fish farm and I became quite fond of the fish, going about and doing their thing. (It's also a fairly dangerous operation, you need a shotgun licence and dogs to scare off poachers.) Put me off eating salmon though.

What is seriously disgusting is mushrooms in a can. WHY. You might as well throw up in a can and sell it. And I like mushrooms...it's the fact they become an unrecognisable...thing I don't like.

What is seriously disgusting is mushrooms in a can. WHY. You might as well throw up in a can and sell it. And I like mushrooms...it's the fact they become an unrecognisable...thing I don't like.

Huh. I buy canned whole champignon mushrooms for homemade pizza because I can't ever find them fresh, and they're just the right size for personal pizzas. They're not mushy or discoloured at all, they're completely recognisable as what they are and they usually don't taste like the cans or the water they're packed in. Are you talking about bigger mushrooms? I've only ever seen canned button and champignon mushrooms.

Hmm, a small mushroom - maybe button is the right term? You will know better than me!

They seem all gross and squashed up. I will buy raw mushrooms happily, but the canned type, not if I can help it.

LOL to canned salmon. My cousin ran a fish farm and I became quite fond of the fish, going about and doing their thing. (It's also a fairly dangerous operation, you need a shotgun licence and dogs to scare off poachers.) Put me off eating salmon though.

What is seriously disgusting is mushrooms in a can. WHY. You might as well throw up in a can and sell it. And I like mushrooms...it's the fact they become an unrecognizable...thing I don't like.

I have no idea what kind of mushrooms in a can might be okay - every one that I've ever seen and tasted was revolting. I also loathe canned potatoes. Nothing about their flavor reminds me of actual potatoes. It's just like eating sodium starch balls.

Squished-up mushrooms sound so nasty. I absolutely loathe using canned veggies, but at least the champignons I've used have never been squished in any way.

Count me in as another person who hates canned potatoes. I have a friend who uses them in stews - I have no idea why since fresh ones are so cheap and abundant in supermarkets - and I always gag on them. They have a texture like sand, they basically have no flavour and they have zero nutritional value.

I don't understand how the Duggars can eat nothing but canned vegetables. I guess they were brought up on it so it doesn't taste odd to them. It's a wonder more of them aren't Smuggar-shaped.

I've heard that some of the vegetables that are grown and canned in China are fertilised with human excrement, so I'm super picky about the mushrooms I use. Does anyone know if that's true? I can't really find anything about it on Google.

Guest Anonymous

I have a can cupboard and I don't much care what anyone thinks. :D

My most-used canned food is plum tomatoes, which I use in bolognese, soups etc. Next would be canned beans and pulses in water. Life is too short to be cooking kidney beans and chickpeas on a regular basis. Then there are Heinz baked beans which I eat infrequently but like to have in stock. And for poorly sick days, a can or two of heinz tomato soup. Plus I'll always have a half dozen cans of tuna in brine and maybe some salmon or sardines too. The sardines are multi-functional as they come in flat rectangular cans that are ideal to use as weights for pattern-cutting and dress-making. :mrgreen:

I haven't read all the responses here yet (still working through them) but the grossest thing I've had from a can (that is still on the shelves in grocery stores, believe it or not) is La Choy Chow Mein. It could not be further from the dish it is trying to emulate. My mother used to buy it when we were growing up and we actually ATE it because we didn't know any better. BLECH! Does anyone else remember it?

Here's a visual for you: http://www.lachoy.com/products/family-meals.jsp

I haven't read all the responses here yet (still working through them) but the grossest thing I've had from a can (that is still on the shelves in grocery stores, believe it or not) is La Choy Chow Mein. It could not be further from the dish it is trying to emulate. My mother used to buy it when we were growing up and we actually ATE it because we didn't know any better. BLECH! Does anyone else remember it?

Here's a visual for you: http://www.lachoy.com/products/family-meals.jsp

Maybe it's a Washington thing ;)? My mom bought that too and served it over the crunchy noodles. The veggies and the meat sauce came in separate cans. Loved it back then, wouldn't eat the chow mein now, but still love the crunchy noodles.

I have a can cupboard and I don't much care what anyone thinks. :D

My most-used canned food is plum tomatoes, which I use in bolognese, soups etc. Next would be canned beans and pulses in water. Life is too short to be cooking kidney beans and chickpeas on a regular basis. Then there are Heinz baked beans which I eat infrequently but like to have in stock. And for poorly sick days, a can or two of heinz tomato soup. Plus I'll always have a half dozen cans of tuna in brine and maybe some salmon or sardines too. The sardines are multi-functional as they come in flat rectangular cans that are ideal to use as weights for pattern-cutting and dress-making. :mrgreen:

I make my own tomato soup, but you are so right poorly days HEINZ is a must. Sometimes it is all you want. My kiddo loves beans :lol: Never really met a kid who did not.

They are fine once in a while for a quick tea with wholemeal toast, fruit for after, not tooo bad nutritionally :)

Maybe it's a Washington thing ;)? My mom bought that too and served it over the crunchy noodles. The veggies and the meat sauce came in separate cans. Loved it back then, wouldn't eat the chow mein now, but still love the crunchy noodles.

I love the crunchy noodles, too. And I grew up in Idaho where Asian food (in the 70's) wasn't much better at the restaurants. Then I moved to Seattle and realized Asian food is never, ever, EVER La Choy.

But I do like those crunchy noodles still.

Guest Anonymous

Yes, OK, I make HM soup too (though most usually with canned tomatoes!). But as you say, Heinz soup is a national institution, ministering to the sick!111eleventy! It is a totally different thing to 'proper' soup. :lol: Did you see the promo on FB last year where you could order special tins with personalised labels on, saying "Get Well Soon xxx".

Baked beans... setting aside the salty sugary goodness of it all, they do make for an acceptable occasional meal. However, I think my mother takes things a step far when she occasionally serves Heinz spaghetti as a vegetable option! :mrgreen:

Thanks to whoever posted the link to the canned whole chicken. That is just fabulous! If they had had those in 1970s England, I am sure my mam would have served one up for Sunday dinner. Or a mid-week 'roast' even. :shock:

Archived