IGNORED

Food that should never come from a can?

OkToBeTakei

Mushy peas are to be eaten with British fried fish and chips. Eaten out of paper with your fingers. Preferably after a few pints. :D

Like Like :lol:

I always wondered what A Marrowfat pea was though?

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My GMIL lived through the depression and hoards canned goods, then brings some over. One memorable can was canned salmon mush, complete with bones. There was also the skin and eyes, too. It is like they just threw a fish in a vat of boiling water (or whatever) and shoved it into a can when it turned into mush.

*hurk*

I use the Pillsbury rolls for an appetizer which is rolled with cream cheese and bacon. I do agree that asparagus should never be canned, as well as mushrooms. I have to admit that I had some canned haggis that a friend brought back from Scotland, and it really wasn't bad at all.

My grandma who grew up during the Depression still has a full walk-in pantry with lots of canned stuff. She even made a variation of Mormon funeral potatoes, but hers were sliced, and in addition to the cream of mushroom soup, she put onion soup mix in it, and layered it with cheese. That was actually a recipe she got from a magazine in the 50's as she had 6 growing boys to feed cheaply. That dish was a Christmas and Easter staple at her house.

I always wondered what A Marrowfat pea was though?

Marrowfat peas are simply mature peas allowed to dry on the vine. Most folks are eating marrowfat peas when they have a wasabi pea.

Quinoa and rice both work.

I do a slightly tastier version, where I also add a canned of diced tomatoes, drained, a bit of Merlot, and plenty of garlic and rosemary. Stick it in a slow cooker on Friday afternoon, and it's delish by Saturday afternoon.

I think you need something starchy. Maybe (brown) rice?

This thread is making me roll about in lulz :)

I had a canned haggis I used to show to my foreign students. They were terrified and wouldn't touch it.

Also the pig's feet in goo? You can get it down the road but it's labeled in Chinese. It has a wee label in English underneath it which says "A pigs foot, £5" I eat a lot of Asian food but that one scares me.

Canned haggis is disgusting and anyone who attempts to serve it to me again shall be tortured. I like haggis. But the canned stuff is just, wrong. It is just wrong, i tell you.

It's wrong!

My GMIL lived through the depression and hoards canned goods, then brings some over. One memorable can was canned salmon mush, complete with bones. There was also the skin and eyes, too. It is like they just threw a fish in a vat of boiling water (or whatever) and shoved it into a can when it turned into mush.

*hurk*

When I was a kid, we used this to make salmon patties for Friday supper: add egg, cracker crumbs (to make it go farther), pepper, and sometimes chopped green peppers, form into patties and fry. Serve with ketchup to disguise the bones and skin. There must have been something we served with it for a side dish, but I'm damned if I remember what it might have been.

Marrowfat peas are simply mature peas allowed to dry on the vine. Most folks are eating marrowfat peas when they have a wasabi pea.

Hehe Exp trust you to make them sound yummy. Here we boil the bejaysus out of them until they are mush and cover them in salt :lol:

When I was a kid, we used this to make salmon patties for Friday supper: add egg, cracker crumbs (to make it go farther), pepper, and sometimes chopped green peppers, form into patties and fry. Serve with ketchup to disguise the bones and skin. There must have been something we served with it for a side dish, but I'm damned if I remember what it might have been.

My ex mil used to make salmon patties with a creamed pea sauce using canned peas. All I can say about it, is that it was edible.

Blargh to the canned peas and veggies. I can eat canned tomatoes and corn and it stops there. Ever had canned broccoli? Barf.

I still am mystified that they think it is cheaper to feed 21 people from cans than it is to cook from scratch. If I attempted to recreate a canned meal of one of my staples for that quantity, I can easily see it being 3x as much.

My ex mil used to make salmon patties with a creamed pea sauce using canned peas. All I can say about it, is that it was edible.

That's about what this was. Edible and cheap. We were pretty poor when I was a kid, and I remember a lot of odd meals as a result. Hence the canned chicken and salmon patties. Tuna noodle casserole was also on heavy rotation for a long time; it was really cheap, really filling, and was so easy to make so much of it that there were always leftovers for lunch and supper the next day. My mother has since jazzed that one up using good fresh egg noodles, good tuna, green chile, and cheese.

Conuly - yes, cholent is regional!

The basic idea of having a dish that is prepped on Friday and left to slow cook until lunch on Saturday is quite ancient, and it was apparently a way of showing that you were a rabbinic Jew instead of a Karaite.

The ingredients, though, are strictly local, as is the flavor.

IMO, Polish cooking has no taste, so it's all meat and potato and barley blandness. Romanians, OTOH, like a bit of spice. [My parents are from Montreal and come from Romanian/Moldovan roots, so it was an article of faith in our home that Polish-based Toronto Jewish food sucked and could never compare to such Romanian-Jewish dishes as Montreal Smoked Meat.]

There are also Sephardic/Mizrachi slow cooked dishes, all with varying degrees of heat and spice. Moroccan stuff is spicy, Yemenite is even more so. Iraqi and Persian slow cooked dishes aren't fiery hot, but have different spice mixtures, with ingredients like turmeric and cardamon.

Easy Middle Eastern Saturday chicken cholent:

1 whole chicken or 4 chicken legs

cinnamon, cardamon, turmeric, salt, pepper, curry powder

1.5 cups rice

1 can tomato sauce

1.5 cups water

5 cubes of frozen garlic

4 eggs

Place chicken in crockpot. Sprinkle generously with the spices. Add rice. Add tomato sauce. Add water. Add garlic and chili. Gently place in eggs in the shell. Cover and cook on low for 18 hours.

1 cube frozen chili pepper

I'm agreeing with 2xx1xy1JD on the Polish food comments. The food I ate growing up was horrid and without taste and uniformly fatty. In the 60's when my parents made friends with Italians our food took a turn for the better. I cook poor in a lot of different languages, but spice is mandatory :D

Smoked oysters from a can are also the bomb.

Good point. I actually love Cockles from a can, drained and served with balsamic and pepper. Still a can mind 8-)

I actually made these myself with an egg surplus from my hens. They were just too vinegary to be pleasant, but I made myself eat my way through the whole jar (gradually!) because I hate wasting food.

yes they suck up the sour. I use pickle brine or seasoned rice wine vinegar and that works better.

My grandmother used to make tuna patties which is similar to salmon patties. She'd take tuna, egg, flour, onion, salt and pepper, mix it together and fry as patties. It wasn't my favorite meal but it was filling, cheap and edible.

Our dinners got much better when my grandmother began dating a local farmer. We usually ate five or six vegetables and some rice for dinner. Meat was too expensive so we didn't eat it a lot. However, my grandmother did a good job making food taste good when we didn't have a lot of money.

My mother was a much worse cook. One time she took Campbell's soup and put canned biscuits on it. She baked the entire thing in the oven. I suppose that she wanted it to be like chicken pot pie. It wasn't.

I still am mystified that they think it is cheaper to feed 21 people from cans than it is to cook from scratch. If I attempted to recreate a canned meal of one of my staples for that quantity, I can easily see it being 3x as much.

It's faster and less work for the J-slaves to work from cans, though. And since they know jackshit about nutrition, cooking techniques, and budgeting, that's what's paramount.

Canned salmon is good for salmon spread. I know far too many people who spent their summers working at canneries to ever complain about canned salmon. Even if it's not something I enjoy, it's nutrition. Spam as well.

Canned salmon is good for salmon spread. I know far too many people who spent their summers working at canneries to ever complain about canned salmon. Even if it's not something I enjoy, it's nutrition. Spam as well.

Canned salmon is very nutritious, and economical. Some brands are better than others. We have a local small lot canner of salmon a few miles away and their product is high quality and economical.

Archived