IGNORED

Food that should never come from a can?

OkToBeTakei

Canned salmon is very nutritious, and economical. Some brands are better than others. We have a local small lot canner of salmon a few miles away and their product is high quality and economical.

Canned Salmon is pretty expensive here. Fresh is cheaper at times. But that is probably just a demographic thing.

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Canned Salmon is pretty expensive here. Fresh is cheaper at times. But that is probably just a demographic thing.

Local wild salmon is about $16lb for filets. About $10lb for whole at the dock. A can of the local guys is $4 for a steak canned in glass.

Local wild salmon is about $16lb for filets. About $10lb for whole at the dock. A can of the local guys is $4 for a steak canned in glass.

That is great value. Although our Salmon can be cheap I do think the majority of it in Scotland is farmed that you see in the Supermarket anyway. Good Salmon is expensive. :(

Costco sells canned chicken breast. It's not bad. you can use it for making chicken salad sandwiches.

I like to use canned salmon for making salmon patties.

when I was a kid, my grandfather once served me a sandwich made with diced canned Vienna sausages. I still get icky feeling thinking about it and I am 32 years old!

That is great value. Although our Salmon can be cheap I do think the majority of it in Scotland is farmed that you see in the Supermarket anyway. Good Salmon is expensive. :(

I used to love wild caught Scottish salmon when I was in the UK. Farmed salmon here runs about $8lb. I just don't eat it. The meat is mushy and I don't enjoy its taste. I also have a concern about pollution from fish farms or in the case of some salmon sea cages. But I need my oily fish so I buy the local in a can. I'm lucky I have friends who fish typically give me several a season.

I generally avoid meat in a can (although I can handle tuna, occasionally), the thoughts of a whole chicken in a can really turns my stomach.

I like canned tuna but whole chicken in a can looks like a baby.

I used to love wild caught Scottish salmon when I was in the UK. Farmed salmon here runs about $8lb. I just don't eat it. The meat is mushy and I don't enjoy its taste. I also have a concern about pollution from fish farms or in the case of some salmon sea cages. But I need my oily fish so I buy the local in a can. I'm lucky I have friends who fish typically give me several a season.

Wild salmon is impossible to find in Ireland now. Commercial salmon fishing has been banned for a couple of years. You may get some 'under the counter' at a fishmonger who knows you but it's pricy. We will try and score some around Christmas time. It's so unbelievably good compared to the farmed stuff.

Another good use is is to wrap them around mini hot dogs (all beef, please). Yummy pigs in blankets. Pigs in blankets is the only way I eat crescent rolls.

I've used them in a Pampered Chef recipe. You unroll the dough and pull it apart along the perforations, then form a star. Put a little dijon mustard, ham, chopped spinach, and swiss cheese in the middle and then fold the points to the center to encase the filling (like a wreath).

Wild salmon is impossible to find in Ireland now. Commercial salmon fishing has been banned for a couple of years. You may get some 'under the counter' at a fishmonger who knows you but it's pricy. We will try and score some around Christmas time. It's so unbelievably good compared to the farmed stuff.

It is pretty sad huh? :(

On the bright side Irishy you can go get yourself some Brains in Gravy, bit of dill, some warm brown soda toast, nobody will know the difference :D

Oh yeah, croissant, biscuits, cinnamon rolls and cookies all come out of a tin/tube like that around here.

Mushrooms should Never be canned. The texture of a canned mushroom is just depressing. Peaches, asparagus, pears, green beans and other normally pleasant fruits and veggies should not be subjected to such water logged hell, either.

The only canned food we use around here is tuna and canned tomato products (diced, stewed, sauce, paste), because they keep and can be used for every kind of cooking. All other foods are fresh or frozen. Especially veggies. I've never understood the allure of canned veggies when frozen are just as convenient and so much better.

Canned salmon is usually wild, while fillets are often farmed. Canned isn't a bad choice - you can't grill it, but I use it in pasta sauce. With a can of evaporated milk, some frozen dill and garlic and some frozen spinach, it can be surprisingly good.

I honestly don't know the cost of farmed salmon, or even where to buy it around here. I think they kick you out of the state at the mere suggestion that anything is better than wild Alaskan salmon. Right now I have a frozen silver the size of a small child in my inside freezer, and several pounds of vacuum sealed king fillets and halibut in the outside freezer, all for free. I think we have a few cans of salmon too, my boss likes to can his own and give them away as "gifts." Lots of people in the villages can their own fish for survival, and we also have the canneries that ship fish out of state. The weirdest thing about commercial fishing in alaska is that a lot of the fish that is caught commercially is shipped to washington for processing and then sent back, which creates a markup on purchasing fish.

My ex MIL cans whole chickens in glass. I hate to admit it, but they make fabulous soup and creamed chicken. I also grew up on salmon patties, and a lot of the guys around here can their northern pike since it's suck a pain in the ass to filet.

[

*if* I had had some of those once (say last Friday), I would have probably sprinkled the insides with mini marshmallows and choc. chips, folded it up and baked it. It would have made a pretty good fall dessert too. But that's *if* :whistle:

Would that have been a Pintrest recipe that someone (not you) pinned and tried?

I honestly don't know the cost of farmed salmon, or even where to buy it around here. I think they kick you out of the state at the mere suggestion that anything is better than wild Alaskan salmon. Right now I have a frozen silver the size of a small child in my inside freezer, and several pounds of vacuum sealed king fillets and halibut in the outside freezer, all for free. I think we have a few cans of salmon too, my boss likes to can his own and give them away as "gifts." Lots of people in the villages can their own fish for survival, and we also have the canneries that ship fish out of state. The weirdest thing about commercial fishing in alaska is that a lot of the fish that is caught commercially is shipped to washington for processing and then sent back, which creates a markup on purchasing fish.

Your freezer sounds bliss. I think we have the same problem here in regard to the commercial side.

Just reading the words "brains in gravy" gives me the cold sweats that come before a good puke.

Ahh, my work here is done :D Being Irish I figured you would not mind the pukey humour :lol:

Ahh, my work here is done :D Being Irish I figured you would not mind the pukey humour :lol:

Love a bit of pukey humour. DH and I taunt each other when we are hungover. :lol:

I keep canned, diced chicken in the pantry for when I want soup but I am too sick to cook. We buy the name brand at Sam's Club (no Costco here :( )

I keep canned, diced chicken in the pantry for when I want soup but I am too sick to cook. We buy the name brand at Sam's Club (no Costco here :( )

Can't you just buy some good organic chicken breasts poach them, chop and freeze? At least then you would know it was good chicken. This can thing is really taking up my time and thought :lol:

OKToBeTakei, you need to march yourself into the prayer closet RIGHT NOW young lady, and meditate upon the images in this thread. No icing for you until you promise something like this never happens again. :naughty:

Personally, I could not cook without having a supply of jarred anchovies and capers. I assume these fall under the "canned" header. :lol:

OKToBeTakei, you need to march yourself into the prayer closet RIGHT NOW young lady, and meditate upon the images in this thread. No icing for you until you promise something like this never happens again. :naughty:

Personally, I could not cook without having a supply of jarred anchovies and capers. I assume these fall under the "canned" header. :lol:

I'm crazed about anchovies, and must keep a couple of tins as well as some jarred ones on hand. I buy capers by the quart.

I'm feeling rather queasy right now. I had to tell MrKay about whole chicken in a can at dinner - he's the kind of guy who will eat damn near ANYTHING - and he just about gagged. Almost every form of canned meat is just wrong.

I have to admit, however, to an unabashed love for properly pickled eggs.

If it is any consolation I feel responsible and have faithfully checked all answers, and therefore felt VOMITOUS most of the day :lol:

Should this not be sufficient penance, I shall purpose to make Chicken in a Biscuit :shock:

Archived