IGNORED

Food that should never come from a can?

OkToBeTakei

I'm crazed about anchovies, and must keep a couple of tins as well as some jarred ones on hand. I buy capers by the quart.

I was not aware that capers were available in a form other than "pickled and jarred."

I also have only seen anchovies in tins.

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't read through the entire thread, but I'm of the opinion that most foods shouldn't come from a can. Someone posted a picture of canned chicken on the FB group and I just about lost it. :puke-huge: On a more serious note, you shouldn't eat canned tomatoes because the acid content absorbs the metal coating.

Pickled eggs (and pickled onions) are AMAZABALLS. Perfect pub snacks with a pint and some chips.

I was reading this thread with the same morbid fascination that I read fundie blogs, then the posts contained almost-sensible food ideas about halfway through. Thanks to Conuly for getting things back on track. :character-spamguy:

I have to say canned foie gras tastes like the real thing. So there is some kind of meat that is not wrong in a can, but again no one in France would qualify it in "meat". it's just something else ahahah!

I have to say canned foie gras tastes like the real thing. So there is some kind of meat that is not wrong in a can, but again no one in France would qualify it in "meat". it's just something else ahahah!

I get sad thinking about the lost generations that will never know the taste of fois gras. But you are right, I don't mind the tinned stuff.

Conuly - yes, cholent is regional!

The basic idea of having a dish that is prepped on Friday and left to slow cook until lunch on Saturday is quite ancient, and it was apparently a way of showing that you were a rabbinic Jew instead of a Karaite.

The ingredients, though, are strictly local, as is the flavor.

One of my favorite cookbooks is called "Come for Cholent." It has a special place on my cookbook shelf, right beside my kugel cookbook. I purchased the cholent cookbook and a Passover cookbook at a Jerusalem Post sidewalk sale in Jerusalem many years ago.

Asparagus - which my dad used to eat all the time. Thought I hated asparagus until I fresh.

When i was a kid, I used to take all the canned asparagus from the pantry and donate it to holiday food drives at school. I love fresh asparagus, but the canned stuff is slimy and nasty.

chicken.

I have seen a few recipes, for Buffalo chicken dip, that call for canned chicken. If I ever see this, I will sub. fresh cooked chicken breasts. Yeah, it takes a little longer, but it's worth it.

Apparently, in addition to canned sliced chicken, you can can :P an entire chicken. I saw an episode of Chopped that used "Chicken in a Can" as an ingredient. Yes, a whole chicken, with all the parts.

I need a can of those canned brains for my sons.They love gross food. I assume that is a southern delicacy? Someone in the south want to mail me some?

Seafood, or foods containing seafood.

Canned crab isn't bad.

And I'm a Marylander, so there's plenty of fresh crab available, but canned is more affordable.

And I see others are acquainted with the phenomenon of whole chicken in a can. :lol:

Local wild salmon is about $16lb for filets. About $10lb for whole at the dock. A can of the local guys is $4 for a steak canned in glass.

See that sounds different from canned salmon down here. Ours is about 98cents a can and is in tin instead of glass. We make salmon patties too, but it just doesnt taste any kind of good. I am a fan of the large sardines I get from an African store nearby.

Glass canned fish can be delicious, especially the import stuff from Italy canned in good olive oil. Economical? Well....not so much.

A chip shop delicacy..

zBGp7.jpg

I make those myself. But I bet that mine are better- they are from eggs from my chickens and quail.

I also can a lot of my own stuff- I don't really get what the issue is with canned fruit that somebody mentioned above. Home canned fruit is better, but store bought fruit is tolerable. I home can meat too, but I buy canned seafood. (I live in a place where the power goes out and you can get snowed in for a couple days. I have to keep shelf stable food around)

Spam grosses me out, but I understand the reasoning behind it. I occasionally see spotted dick or brown bread in a can, those sound gross to me.

See that sounds different from canned salmon down here. Ours is about 98cents a can and is in tin instead of glass. We make salmon patties too, but it just doesnt taste any kind of good. I am a fan of the large sardines I get from an African store nearby.

Glass canned fish can be delicious, especially the import stuff from Italy canned in good olive oil. Economical? Well....not so much.

It's my understanding that they have two boats. They fish salmon and tuna on long lines. I'd consider it a local product so it's a good deal. The salmon is just a lovely steak in a jar. Their tuna is divine. And I love good fish from Italy in jars with evoo, esp anchovies.

When I was a kid, we used this to make salmon patties for Friday supper: add egg, cracker crumbs (to make it go farther), pepper, and sometimes chopped green peppers, form into patties and fry. Serve with ketchup to disguise the bones and skin. There must have been something we served with it for a side dish, but I'm damned if I remember what it might have been.

I grew up on salmon patties but we would call them salmon croquettes (not sure of the spelling). We would add onions, eggs, ritz crackers and bread crumbs to the mix, bread them with bread crumbs and fry them. Now I am going to have to make them soon because I can already taste them.

I admit I like canned foods. Not ashamed to like canned foods. No one is taking away my canned creamed corn. I am weird. I like to pour it over rice and just eat it like that. Comes from my poor college student days.

When I was a kid we used to buy pickled pigs feet from a jar at the corner store. I used to love it. Now the thought kind of creeps me out. I love tubed/canned biscuits. Not going to lie, butter them up for me and I am good.

I think if you have the time and money to use only fresh ingredients, great. If I have the time or am making food for others, I will try to use as fresh ingredients as much as possible. For myself, I usually do whatever is fastest. If I have made it home from work without stopping for fast food, I consider it a victory. I am usually too tired after work to make any real effort to cook a meal. If I had kids, it would be a different story but for just me, easiest is what is going to work. In the end, I just try and make healthy choices where I can and not beat myself up over not being able to do it all the time.

I never heard of chicken in a can until it was an ingredient on Chopped. It looked nasty. Even my love of canned ingredients does not go that far.

I am guilty of the occasional spam dish...I dont know why I like it, I just do.

My husband LOVES Spam - yuck! Does anyone else remember the deviled meats that came in a can. I think they were called Underwood or something similar and had a little red devil on the can. I ate that as a kid, wouldn't touch it now.

I have to confess that I do like the Pillsbury Cinnamon rolls on a lazy Sunday morning when I don't want to make them from scratch.

My mom and I can't be the only people who love canned green beans, right? I enjoy the frozen ones and love fresh but there's just something about the taste of the canned ones....

Sausages. I don't know why it grosses me out but I think they'd be all slimy and gross.

And yet? I love Heinz canned Spaghetti in tomato sauce (but only Heinz) and I also really like baked beans, which always seem to come in cans.

I don't know what's worse: the way the cheeseburger-in-a-can looks, or the expression on the guy's face. He looks like he's being tortured.

My mom and I can't be the only people who love canned green beans, right? I enjoy the frozen ones and love fresh but there's just something about the taste of the canned ones....

I have a girlfriend that loves french cut green beans from a can.

Archived