IGNORED

Food that should never come from a can?

OkToBeTakei

I think a couple times in my life I've seen something on the supermarket shelves called potted meat. I have no idea what it is and I'm too afraid to find out....however, I do remember my dad occasionally making sandwiches out of deviled ham....haven't seen that in awhile but I don't remember ever trying it.

It is one of those wonderful joke presents that winds up in someone's stocking every year, only to be returned to someone else's the next year.

I'm giving the ingredients below courtesy of Wiki. FWIW mechanically separated meat is what is known as white slime.

Armour Star: Mechanically separated chicken, beef tripe, water, salt, and less than 2%: mustard, natural flavor, garlic powder, vinegar, dextrose, sodium erythorbate, and sodium nitrite.

Hormel: Beef tripe, mechanically separated chicken, beef hearts, partially defatted cooked beef fatty tissue, meat broth, vinegar, salt, flavoring, sugar, and sodium nitrite.

Libby's: Mechanically separated chicken, pork skin, partially defatted cooked pork fatty tissue, partially defatted cooked beef fatty tissue, vinegar, less than 2% of: salt, spices, sugar, flavorings, sodium erythorbate and sodium nitrite.

[edit]

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My picky eater will consistently eat a few bites of spaghetti-o's, so I unfortunately have them in my cart every week. The other two things I am embarrassed to have in my cart almost every week are boxed Kraft mac'n'cheese and ramen noodles.

I sometimes buy tomato soup and progresso soup for fast lunches on cold days. They are cheap and pretty reasonably tasty.

Guest Anonymous

It is one of those wonderful joke presents that winds up in someone's stocking every year, only to be returned to someone else's the next year.

I'm giving the ingredients below courtesy of Wiki. FWIW mechanically separated meat is what is known as white slime.

Potted meat is a delicacy where I originate from.

http://www.rivercottage.net/recipes/potted-beef/

It is just a chunky sort of pate, made with beef. But it is another of those things where the original is a freshly cooked chilled dish, and the long-life version is completely different. :D

Guest Anonymous

In general, what's the objection to meat in a can (assuming you are a meat-eater)?

I must have grown up dirt poor, because it was quite common, when I was growing up, to open a can of ham or salmon for sandwiches if we had unexpected guests for Sunday tea. I remember learning in Home Economics lessons in the late 80s that canned fish was more nutritious than fresh fish because of the calcium you get from eating the bones. :D

I got as far as "bottled pork rinds" before my stomach threatened rebellion. :puke-huge:

I will eat canned tuna - I don't put that in the same category as canned meat, b/c it still bears a resemblance to the fresh product (which I don't like). When I was pregnant with ToddlerKay, I totally grossed myself out with my cravings for canned corned beef on toast. I can't even look at it now.

Ncj4z.jpg

Anyone for breakfast? Yum!!!

I read the name brand as "Hunger Beans" brb, makin' me up some Hunger Beans! :lol:

I got as far as "bottled pork rinds" before my stomach threatened rebellion. :puke-huge:

I will eat canned tuna - I don't put that in the same category as canned meat, b/c it still bears a resemblance to the fresh product (which I don't like). When I was pregnant with ToddlerKay, I totally grossed myself out with my cravings for canned corned beef on toast. I can't even look at it now.

Hey, it is a pork scratching in a tin (the rind)? The ingenuity of the human mind is endless :D

Canned tuna, I can eat (and really like), but only canned in brine. I like the flavour a lot. I make a cheddar cheese and canned tuna toasty. Actually, thoughts for tea...*yum!*

Canned in sunflower oil is disgusting though.

In general, what's the objection to meat in a can (assuming you are a meat-eater)?

I must have grown up dirt poor, because it was quite common, when I was growing up, to open a can of ham or salmon for sandwiches if we had unexpected guests for Sunday tea. I remember learning in Home Economics lessons in the late 80s that canned fish was more nutritious than fresh fish because of the calcium you get from eating the bones. :D

I am curious too. I have no issues with meat in cans in general, and generally have seafood and chicken in the cabinet. There are canned meat items I won't touch, but it is the specific item, not meat in general.

My picky eater will consistently eat a few bites of spaghetti-o's, so I unfortunately have them in my cart every week. The other two things I am embarrassed to have in my cart almost every week are boxed Kraft mac'n'cheese and ramen noodles.

I sometimes buy tomato soup and progresso soup for fast lunches on cold days. They are cheap and pretty reasonably tasty.

I buy Spaghetti-O's for ME. There. I said it. Headship eats Ramen noodles for lunch (with canned chicken, gross!!), so I get those. I occasionally get the Velveeta shells 'n' cheese rather than the Kraft powdery stuff. I just prefer to not have to rehydrate my preservatives. :P

I am curious too. I have no issues with meat in cans in general, and generally have seafood and chicken in the cabinet. There are canned meat items I won't touch, but it is the specific item, not meat in general.

I'm so glad someone else said it! :D I buy canned fish, ham, and chicken. They make great sandwiches and dips. I also have no objection to buying the "cream of x" cans either. I know that they're are pinterest pins that highlight how to make your own "cream of x" but I'd much rather just pick up a couple cans when I'm at the store.

I'm an almost-vegan who just has to have fish a couple of times a week for the protein, now (for the last couple of years). I don't like the taste (and then there's still the emotional struggle of it, for me), but tuna has been okay in a pinch. Most of the time I nuke a piece of mild white fish with soy sauce, hot peppers, pineapple, and onions and it's okay. If we're out of frozen fish, I'll do tuna; it was much too strong to stomach until DH got the bright idea of mixing mustard, onions, celery, hot peppers and *french dressing* with the tuna. Who'da thunk? I don't do dairy so something like mayonnaise wasn't an option, but that's actually fine. DH has it on sandwiches and I eat it straight.

I buy Spaghetti-O's for ME. There. I said it. Headship eats Ramen noodles for lunch (with canned chicken, gross!!), so I get those. I occasionally get the Velveeta shells 'n' cheese rather than the Kraft powdery stuff. I just prefer to not have to rehydrate my preservatives. :P

When I was pregnant with girl tchotchkes I had a craving for.... canned meatball spaghettios. Cold, eaten with corn chips.

My mom used to buy those canned hams for special occasions. I thought that's what ham was supposed to be, until I got to taste a real one. The canned ones are surrounded by some sort of gelatinous goo that just grosses me out. Maybe it's supposed to be the glaze - I dunno.

Of course, my mom's recipe for spaghetti sauce consisted of one of those powdered sauce packets and some hamburger meatballs with no seasonings added.

Can you tell my mom hates to cook?

When I was pregnant with girl tchotchkes I had a craving for.... canned meatball spaghettios. Cold, eaten with corn chips.

:shock: I could handle one or the other, but not both simultaneously. The degree of confession in this thread is kind of amazing. :lol:

I grew up with cheap ramen as a Saturday morning staple for some reason (Scooby-Doo's on? Pass the Sriracha!), and even now I fall back on it more than I should. Though it dresses up very easily with a few powdered spices, vegetables, and some kind of protein (chicken, tofu, kamaboko if I'm really trying to delude myself). Fat and sodium? I'll live. Probably.

Oooh, I love canned spaghetti on buttered grainy toast. So nice. I'm pretty sure the ingredients are sugar, wheat, thickeners, tomato, and sugarsugarsugarsugarsugar but as an occasionally treat it's lovely.

Baked beans are also good, but because of the beans balancing the enormous amount of sugar they feel a little too healthy for my liking. If I'm having something from a can I want to be absolutely assured that it will contribute toward shortening my life :lol:.

Other than that, I use canned tomatoes and canned coconut milk. Both, incidentally I buy organic and bpa lining free. That spaghetti? Could be radioactive for all I care. Can't deal with eating canned vegies or meat, it just seems a bit wrong.

Oooh, I love canned spaghetti on buttered grainy toast. So nice. I'm pretty sure the ingredients are sugar, wheat, thickeners, tomato, and sugarsugarsugarsugarsugar but as an occasionally treat it's lovely.

Baked beans are also good, but because of the beans balancing the enormous amount of sugar they feel a little too healthy for my liking. If I'm having something from a can I want to be absolutely assured that it will contribute toward shortening my life :lol:.

Other than that, I use canned tomatoes and canned coconut milk. Both, incidentally I buy organic and bpa lining free. That spaghetti? Could be radioactive for all I care. Can't deal with eating canned vegies or meat, it just seems a bit wrong.

Where do you find BPA free tomatoes? Are you buying the jarred ones?

A friend and I were just talking about the fact that creamed corn is such a comfort food.

Where do you find BPA free tomatoes? Are you buying the jarred ones?

A friend and I were just talking about the fact that creamed corn is such a comfort food.

It's an Australian brand and I'm going to go out on a limb and assume you're not here in Aus! If any Aussies are curious, I get my tomatoes from Spiral Foods. Great local company, shame they don't source many of their ingredients locally.

But here's a great (and much cheaper) option if you're in the US http://www.iherb.com/Bionaturae-Organic ... 00-g/32058.

It's an Australian brand and I'm going to go out on a limb and assume you're not here in Aus! If any Aussies are curious, I get my tomatoes from Spiral Foods. Great local company, shame they don't source many of their ingredients locally.

But here's a great (and much cheaper) option if you're in the US http://www.iherb.com/Bionaturae-Organic ... 00-g/32058.

I am in the US, but I was under the impression that there were no approved can coatings for tomatoes that did not contain BPA, but looking at their website I am pleasantly surprised. I generally can my own tomatoes so it's not that big of an issue. I do know that brand already though.

Now I'm off to look at the Muir Glen to see if their cans have changed to BPA free. That's my favorite brand of canned tomatoes.

Bacon in a can doesn't even make sense. I thought bacon was created to last a long time? Isn't that why it's salted and cured?

It was originally done in the army. It would not stay fresh in places like Korea.

BaconCans.jpg

I am in the US, but I was under the impression that there were no approved can coatings for tomatoes that did not contain BPA, but looking at their website I am pleasantly surprised. I generally can my own tomatoes so it's not that big of an issue. I do know that brand already though.

Now I'm off to look at the Muir Glen to see if their cans have changed to BPA free. That's my favorite brand of canned tomatoes.

That's the only problem with buying bpa free. I prefer a more robust canned tomato, and while the brand I buy is not too bad, it's still a bit watery for my liking. I'd also like to buy Australian grown but there's only one brand here that's grown in here and it's in a bpa lined can.

I love iherb. Postage is a killer for overseas orders though. I can put through a $90 order and pay half as much in shipping but oh... apple butter and almond chocolate butter. Now those two are just heaven. Unfortunately that heaven comes with a $6 shipping charge.

That's the only problem with buying bpa free. I prefer a more robust canned tomato, and while the brand I buy is not too bad, it's still a bit watery for my liking. I'd also like to buy Australian grown but there's only one brand here that's grown in here and it's in a bpa lined can.

I love iherb. Postage is a killer for overseas orders though. I can put through a $90 order and pay half as much in shipping but oh... apple butter and almond chocolate butter. Now those two are just heaven. Unfortunately that heaven comes with a $6 shipping charge.

With apples and a crock pot you could make your own apple butter in the fall, and if you don't can, you could freeze it in smaller amounts. I made yummy pear butter last year.

I keep threatening to make and can a batch of my grandmother's amazing tomato sauce/chutney hybrid, which no bbq should be without, but it never seems to happen. Pear butter sounds incredible, but I suspect I'll just continue eating the iherb shipping charges for the stuff on there. I'm eyeing off a lovely looking cherry butter at the moment.

Archived