IGNORED

Olivia from Fresh Modesty is just so adorable

Lady Elaine

What the heck her post on her daily makeup routine from yesterday. She says she doesn't take off her makeup when she goes to sleep? WTH.

I was just coming over to post about this. For someone who seems a little obsessive about taking care of her skin... :lol:

Also, in one of her posts she shared that she got a "Princess Bible" for Christmas. It's, uh, very grown up... http://www.amazon.com/Princess-Bible-In ... 702&sr=8-2

Edit: Just went to look at her latest outfit. Hot. Mess.

Edit again: This is pure fundy gold (guest post): "It was very hot and I saw the way the Orthodox Jewish women wrap their hair in patterned scarves. It looked so light, breezy and cool! We walked by a shop with head scarves and I knew what I wanted to do. I picked a patterned blue, white, purple and silver scarf and asked the lovely lady behind the counter to tie my hair up. Well, she was not too thrilled by that request after asking if I was married. She told me that only married Orthodox Jewish women wrap their hair. Who knew? But I was persistent and she showed me how. After that cultural experience, we got some passion fruit juice and lattes to take the edge off of the heat. Oh, and did it kill me to be mindful of another culture, to be respectful of my elders and to honor God at these holy sites? Not a chance! It was a great reminder that no matter what, modesty is always in!" That's exactly what you were doing. Respecting their culture. :doh: freshmodesty.blogspot.com/2012/08/friends-of-fresh-modesty-bianca-natasha.html

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The reviews on that thing are HILARIOUS... I'm praying some of them are Poe-ish.

I don't want my princess to grow up believing in Liberal agenda women's rights hippie nonsense. In my house we serve the Lord, and our daughters serve the men. This book is an excellent reminder of God's might and power that Christians so often forget. (1 star)

When I saw the "good book" outfitted to look like sick from the liberal gay agenda, I was appalled. Upon closer inspection I realized this hot pink and jewel encrusted Bible was made for the princesses in our lives. Being a family man myself and a devout Christian I could not pass up the opportunity to buy each of my little girls a copy, and even decided to pick one up for my ex-wife; I felt that after three affairs maybe a healthy dose of God's wrath would do her some good. I know she's a good person who has simply been taken in by Satan's tango, but if I force the Bible on her like I'm supposed to as a good Christian she'll have no excuse.

Upon getting the Bibles in the mail I was overjoyed by them. They're perfect! The pink and sparkles instantly captivated my girls into thinking they were getting new fairy tales. And they're right! While I don't necessarily agree with children's Bibles since it doesn't strike fear into the hearts of man and show the merciless nature of God, I do believe they are a nice segue for my little princesses. Already they're clamoring for more stories.

Thank god this Bible exists because I fear the atheist communist liberal Nobama campaign is corrupting our youth. I had no idea what my little muffins were learning in school until, when I read them Noah's Ark, they began asking about dinosaurs! Can you believe it? I promptly called the school district and informed them that they needed to pick up a Bible because there were no dinosaurs. Scientists have proven time and again that the fossils aren't as old as the ZOG (zion occupied government) wants us to believe and the majority of them are fake. If it hadn't been for allowing me to show my girls how to think before they could develop ideas of their own, they may have become textbook reading, documentary watching, science loving, atheists! But not anymore, I have deeply instilled the fear of God in them through this glamorized Bible. Never again will they question me or their religion.

I really hope this one above is a Poe.

This one obviously is:

My little girl loves all the horrific stories of genocide and rape in this quaint little bible! Deuteronomy 20:10-14 is her favorite. My little Princess likes to pretend that she is sending off her army to enslave nearby Kingdoms.

Romans 1:27 also shows her that the natural use of a woman is for sexual pleasure, a lesson she can't learn quick enough. I am planning on selling her soon (Exodus 21:7). That info will serve her well!

I hope your little Princess enjoys it, too.

I was just coming over to post about this. For someone who seems a little obsessive about taking care of her skin... :lol:

Also, in one of her posts she shared that she got a "Princess Bible" for Christmas. It's, uh, very grown up... http://www.amazon.com/Princess-Bible-In ... 702&sr=8-2

Edit: Just went to look at her latest outfit. Hot. Mess.

Edit again: This is pure fundy gold (guest post): "It was very hot and I saw the way the Orthodox Jewish women wrap their hair in patterned scarves. It looked so light, breezy and cool! We walked by a shop with head scarves and I knew what I wanted to do. I picked a patterned blue, white, purple and silver scarf and asked the lovely lady behind the counter to tie my hair up. Well, she was not too thrilled by that request after asking if I was married. She told me that only married Orthodox Jewish women wrap their hair. Who knew? But I was persistent and she showed me how. After that cultural experience, we got some passion fruit juice and lattes to take the edge off of the heat. Oh, and did it kill me to be mindful of another culture, to be respectful of my elders and to honor God at these holy sites? Not a chance! It was a great reminder that no matter what, modesty is always in!" That's exactly what you were doing. Respecting their culture. :doh:

OMG some of the reviews are epic!

Who am I; Jesus?, January 23, 2012

By Alexander Tischler - See all my reviews

This review is from: Princess Bible: Pink - International Children's Bible (Compact Kids) (Imitation Leather)

When I saw the "good book" outfitted to look like sick from the liberal gay agenda, I was appalled. Upon closer inspection I realized this hot pink and jewel encrusted Bible was made for the princesses in our lives. Being a family man myself and a devout Christian I could not pass up the opportunity to buy each of my little girls a copy, and even decided to pick one up for my ex-wife; I felt that after three affairs maybe a healthy dose of God's wrath would do her some good. I know she's a good person who has simply been taken in by Satan's tango, but if I force the Bible on her like I'm supposed to as a good Christian she'll have no excuse.

Upon getting the Bibles in the mail I was overjoyed by them. They're perfect! The pink and sparkles instantly captivated my girls into thinking they were getting new fairy tales. And they're right! While I don't necessarily agree with children's Bibles since it doesn't strike fear into the hearts of man and show the merciless nature of God, I do believe they are a nice segue for my little princesses. Already they're clamoring for more stories.

Thank god this Bible exists because I fear the atheist communist liberal Nobama campaign is corrupting our youth. I had no idea what my little muffins were learning in school until, when I read them Noah's Ark, they began asking about dinosaurs! Can you believe it? I promptly called the school district and informed them that they needed to pick up a Bible because there were no dinosaurs. Scientists have proven time and again that the fossils aren't as old as the ZOG (zion occupied government) wants us to believe and the majority of them are fake. If it hadn't been for allowing me to show my girls how to think before they could develop ideas of their own, they may have become textbook reading, documentary watching, science loving, atheists! But not anymore, I have deeply instilled the fear of God in them through this glamorized Bible. Never again will they question me or their religion.

THANKS!

[quote Tuesdays mean homeschool co-op! And ever-so-slightly dressier clothes than Mondays deserve. ;)

I teach a writing class for middle-schoolers~ it is such fun! I guess it helps that my students are some of my best friends. :D]

I didn't want to post about her boobs, but as I am obviously not the only one who noticed them... I know she is all about modesty, but I think her boobs are FABULOUS!

Being more than ten years older, mine aren't that perky any more, even without having children, but I do wonder what kind of bra she is wearing underneath.

Digg that dress, definitely. Would wear it any time - without all those layers she ruined it with.

I find her outfits pretty boring. Ashley on Bramblewood Fashion has much better style and never mentions religion on her blog beyond 'this is what I wore to church' and that she's a Christian in her bio.

Also I note that you never see a plus size modest fashion blogger.

The only one I can think of is probably ThatWife from the beginning of her blog experience. It's not the main focus of her page, but she devotes a good chunk of it to clothing and dressing modestly. I certainly wouldn't call her plus sized anymore, but she was a bigger girl before her weight loss challenges.

There is nothing modest or adorable about taking eleventy million pictures of yourself, posting them on the intrawebz, then holding yourself up as the ultimate "adorable, modesty-minded, Jeebus-loving, God-honoring, fundiegal".

She is trolling for men---just not in a bar or in a college rec center or at a fraternity mixer. Same motivation, different landscape. She is shallow, boring and narcissistic.

Best advice ever? Don't adopt pet fundies.

I call them "discount stores." Ross, Marshall's, TJ Maxx, Burlington Coat Factory, and Big Lots fall into that category. Overstock.com is the online equivalent. The merchandise is brand new, but it's overstocks, factory overruns, or leftovers from previous seasons.

"Thrift stores" sell donated used merchandise, and they may or may not be associated with a specific charity. There are some incredibly good buys to be had if you have the time, energy, and patience to sort through rack after rack of musty-smelling cast-offs (I do, and I find lots of great clothes, books, and housewares at Goodwill. Salvation Army, on the other hand, gets nothing from me because they hate the gays.).

I don't hear the term "charity shop" used here--I've only seen British/Commonwealth folks use it. But I might refer to "the Cancer Society shop" or similar, which are small thrift stores run by volunteers; the ones in upscale neighborhoods get really nice stuff donated to them.

"Resale stores," consignment stores," and "vintage boutiques" all sell used clothing, but unlike thrift stores they pay for their merchandise and are very picky about what they will buy. So the quality is higher, the merchandise is more current and interesting, and the prices are much higher than at thrift stores. Consignment stores for infants' and children's clothing and baby equipment are also really popular around here.

I tend to use the terms the same way.

We have some stores that are affiliated with a specific charity, such as Goodwill. There is also Value Village, which is a bit of a hybrid since they are for-profit but pay non-profit organizations for the clothes donations.

My sister shops at Value Village all the time, and she and her kids get great stuff for next to nothing. I used to shop at kids' consignment store quite a bit, since I was able to get nearly-new Gymboree outfits, slings and toys for far less than new.

Shey from A Skirt a Day http://www.askirtaday.com isn't categorizing herself as a modest style blogger anymore, but her looks are pretty conservative/modest and she has a real-sized body. Chandra of MoMoMod http://momomod.com is plus-sized. I'm not plus-sized, but I'd say I have a solidly average figure (http://alltumbledown.blogspot.com). Minus the whole growing-a-child thing I've been doing recently.

And in reading the comments about the hypocrisy of Olivia/modest style bloggers by extension, I noticed a definite trend: the conflation of the two, not-necessarily-overlapping definitions of modesty. From my good friend Wikipedia: Modesty and modest have two rather different meanings. The word is used as an antonym of boastfulness; a modest person does not draw attention to their own real or supposed accomplishments and desirable attributes. Terms related to "modesty" in this sense include "humility", "shyness", and "simplicity". A related usage is for some object or attribute that is, in actual fact, not very desirable; a "modest dwelling" would describe a hut, but not a palace. The word is also used, more about women than men, to describe a mode of dress and deportment intended not to encourage the opposite sex; actual standards vary widely.

I can't speak for Olivia, nor for anyone but myself, but as I've written elsewhere (http://www.theblindhem.com/1365/and-so-modest/, http://jwa.org/blog/modern-and-modest-i ... tumbledown), my personal definition of modesty is strictly limited to the latter definition. Is taking photos of myself and putting them up for public consumption vain? Sure. Is it immodest? Wholly dependent on how you define the word. Personally, I interpret (Jewish) modesty codes as purely legalistic (not such a fan of the apologetics coming out of many Jewish circles nowadays about purity/lust/what have you, much more comfortable with an historic understanding of the modesty code), much as I interpret dietary restrictions. My blog may be a piece of pure superficiality, but I don't believe it is necessarily hypocritical to be "publicly" modest. The sense I have gotten from my fellow modesty style bloggers is that they view their blogs as spaces for women to explore the potential for dressing modestly and stylishly, rather than bully pulpits for espousing particular notions of femininity, subservience and sexuality. Just my two cents.

Well, blogging all about yourself and how you are modest isn't modest. All you are doing it dragging attention to yourself all under the guise of "modesty".

Wow, thanks for the love, folks. formergothardite, if you noticed, my entire reply was about how "modesty" is not a simple word, and can't be so simply applied as you attempted. And experiencedd, I'll gladly refund the .00001 cent I made from your click over to my site (that is, if you clicked on one of the google ads on the sidebar. Because if not, I made nothing. Harping about my "monetized blog" is a rather odd way to knock down my voice, particularly if you know just how little money is actually made). I was simply trying to show that there are voices in the modesty blogosphere with normal figures in response to the discussion here.

She is cute, but i find her blog boring :lol: (im not into cloths, make up, etc to be honest)

She is just a normal teenager, and the thing that i like about blogs is that the people are especial, not like everyone you know in real life (like a fundie family with tons of kids, i love big families!).

Wow, thanks for the love, folks. formergothardite, if you noticed, my entire reply was about how "modesty" is not a simple word, and can't be so simply applied as you attempted. And experiencedd, I'll gladly refund the .00001 cent I made from your click over to my site (that is, if you clicked on one of the google ads on the sidebar. Because if not, I made nothing. Harping about my "monetized blog" is a rather odd way to knock down my voice, particularly if you know just how little money is actually made). I was simply trying to show that there are voices in the modesty blogosphere with normal figures in response to the discussion here.

Mentioning your monetized blog is not harping, unless you are some kind of a speshul snoflake. Shilling for it is just what it implies. You need the hits, you wouldn't have come here as a four post wonder if you didn't.

Let me get this straight. I am so desperate for clicks that I have a google alert set up for anytime modesty is discussed, anywhere, so I can insert a link to my own blog?

Or, perhaps, I've been reading this forum for ages (since I was first discussed here two years ago, actually. In a comment where I was called out for looking poor. Which is true, so I suppose not too offensive), and I decided to chime in on this thread when I had something to add.

Of course, you can decide which is more plausible. I suppose in your view people with ads on their blogs are supposed to remain mute at all times. My apologies for thinking I had a perspective that was missing from this thread.

So you are modestly vain? Since you admit that posting tons of pictures of yourself is vain. Even after reading your post I don't understand how you can be modest while at the same time doing all you can to draw attention to yourself and be vain.

So you are modestly vain? Since you admit that posting tons of pictures of yourself is vain. Even after reading your post I don't understand how you can be modest while at the same time doing all you can to draw attention to yourself and be vain.

Almost three years of proclaiming her modesty on the internets. :lol:

Let me get this straight. I am so desperate for clicks that I have a google alert set up for anytime modesty is discussed, anywhere, so I can insert a link to my own blog?

Or, perhaps, I've been reading this forum for ages (since I was first discussed here two years ago, actually. In a comment where I was called out for looking poor. Which is true, so I suppose not too offensive), and I decided to chime in on this thread when I had something to add.

Of course, you can decide which is more plausible. I suppose in your view people with ads on their blogs are supposed to remain mute at all times. My apologies for thinking I had a perspective that was missing from this thread.

Listen up Chicca, don't put words in my mouth. If you want to defend your position do it intellectually and honestly, but don't lie about what I posted. The internetz are forever and the Hive has a very long memory.

ETA: You've been whoring out modest dressing for three years. That's a fact.

So which is better, a modest spirit where you might show a little more skin but you aren't vain and you don't make blogs showing off, or to be vain but cover up more?

I swear, these "look how modest I am! LOOK AT MEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!" bloggers have more pictures taken of themselves in the last week than I have in the last year. I used to dress "modestly" blogging wasn't around back then and somehow I managed to figure it out. So this isn't a necessity, this is nothing more than vanity wrapped up as modesty. If you want to brag about how great your clothes are and post a gazillion pictures to show that off, go for it, but don't act like you are anything more than a person who is vain and loves attention.

Edited: And I guess tumbledown isn't going to tell us how if it is better to be modest in dress but vain in spirit or modest in spirit but show more skin. :lol:

formergothardite, I'm not pretending that blogging of any form, and particularly personal style blogging, is a vanity-free exercise. Of course there is narcissism involved. My point was that I don't believe that those of us with particular standards of dress that we call "modest" are hypocritical for putting ourselves out there on the internet. While modesty can mean an attempt to live a vanity-free life, it can also just mean a routinized form of dress. I'm not placing value judgements on varying definitions of modesty, merely trying to make a distinction between two notions lumped under a single English word/term. I call my blog modest because I dress according to Jewish modesty standards, not because I am vanity-free. I don't blog to be vain -- I do it for fun, as a non-cerebral habit, to document for myself and others what worked and what didn't, because I have too much free time-- but do acknowledge that there is vanity built in to the entire enterprise. I'm glad that you managed to "figure it out on your own", but plenty of women have emailed me sharing how difficult they find dressing according to modesty standards and finding their own style. To them, having some sort of template has been helpful.

And experiencedd, I am not really sure why I've offended you so. I don't blog to "whore out modesty." I started (and continue) blogging because I needed an outlet to express myself creatively within the confines of rather restrictive legal obligations, and thought that others might be interested in what I had to share. Turns out I was right. I have a modest (see! same word, different meaning!) but engaged readership, and I have appreciated watching the blog evolve along with me. In the interest of full disclosure, I've made less than $100 dollars in three years, and have no qualms with making money from a habit that at times has taken up a good chunk of my free time. I no longer blog so frequently, so my miniscule payments have if anything decreased. And I don't think having content relevant to the discussion at hand and blog with ads are at odds. Since I was accused of being intellectually dishonest, I'll be explicit: I have one google sidebar ad from which I receive small percentages of cents for clicks and next to nothing for pageviews. If that makes me a modesty whore, I'll take it. But don't use a measly ad to pettily discount the points I made above.

And experiencedd, I am not really sure why I've offended you so. I don't blog to "whore out modesty." I started (and continue) blogging because I needed an outlet to express myself creatively within the confines of rather restrictive legal obligations, and thought that others might be interested in what I had to share. Turns out I was right. I have a modest (see! same word, different meaning!) but engaged readership, and I have appreciated watching the blog evolve along with me. In the interest of full disclosure, I've made less than $100 dollars in three years, and have no qualms with making money from a habit that at times has taken up a good chunk of my free time. I no longer blog so frequently, so my miniscule payments have if anything decreased. And I don't think having content relevant to the discussion at hand and blog with ads are at odds. Since I was accused of being intellectually dishonest, I'll be explicit: I have one google sidebar ad from which I receive small percentages of cents for clicks and next to nothing for pageviews. If that makes me a modesty whore, I'll take it. But don't use a measly ad to pettily discount the points I made above.

Once again I will ask you not to put words in my mouth, you are quite powerless when it comes to offending me.Somehow you think I should be impressed with your rationalizations, really I'm not. Like most fundies that come here to crap on the rugs, you don't read for comprehension and when justifying your behavior you provideTMI. Do you really think that I don't know how to look up blog stats online? Stop avoiding the issues, be grateful that your posting here is getting you more click$

Now shoo, go crap on your own rug.

You are putting yourself out there on the internet to talk about yourself and to show pictures of yourself and that is modest? Can you really say that you have a modest spirit while doing this?

I mean, if it was really just to show clothes that look good together, why not just post pictures of the outfits? Why stick yourself in the pictures, especially since so many of these blogs have like five or six pictures of the same outfit all with the blogger posed in various ways. It isn't the outfit they are showing off, it is themselves.

Archived