IGNORED

Olivia from Fresh Modesty is just so adorable

Lady Elaine

Are you sure it was the make-up? While I agree that it should be taken of each night before sleeping, make-up shouldn't really leave BLACK MARKS with normal hygiene (i.e. showering more than once in a moon).

My mother had black marks at her neck once, not from beatings my father gave her, but from a necklace that oxidised in contact with sweat and other moisture.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Are you sure it was the make-up? While I agree that it should be taken of each night before sleeping, make-up shouldn't really leave BLACK MARKS with normal hygiene (i.e. showering more than once in a moon).

My mother had black marks at her neck once, not from beatings my father gave her, but from a necklace that oxidised in contact with sweat and other moisture.

it washed off and she told us she did not clean it off when she went to bed. She learned makeup from her friends since her mother is blind and never worried about it.

Don't keep a pet fundie. They always end up shitting on the floor. I'll bet this one will be the same. Right now she is just as sweet as a half chewed piece of toffee (and with the intellectual weight of candy floss) but watch out there is a patriarchal razor blade in that candy.

Love this!

Olivia is very cute to look at (I would have killed to look like her when I was in high school), but her ideas are typically fundie. Young women like her are like the most superficial "worldly" girls in their obsession with looks, but of course it's couched in fundiebabble ("Modest clothes reflect my godliness," "I'm guarding guys' eyes by wearing skirts").

I was surprised that she has a mature-sounding voice; I was expecting a high-pitched chirp.

She can't be that busy at home!

It's only 2pm and I've already taken two very long naps.

Damn it why can't I be a SAHD?

ETA, she talks about sleep a lot

Falling asleep sitting up on a couch, and waking at 1am to find your family left you there.

Sun burning one side of your face (you may have fallen asleep outside, too)

Scheduling a nap into your afternoon every day. Seriously has helped me function better and be a happier, more productive person. :) And sleeping outside, preferably in the sun, boosts my energy even more! I can tell when my body is screaming, "D3!!" if I've been inside too much. :P I think the mexican siesta is fabulous.

I agree that she is a cute girl. But really, these "modest girls" posting their cuteness all over their blogs crack me up. "I'm so modest. Look at how this non-defrauding outfit totally accentuates my countenance. And look how in this picture, my layers of clothes prove I love Jesus!"

I'd also like to clue her in that sometimes her shoes look less than modest. I think her strappy high heels might be a little bit sexier than she'll admit. My perspective, however, might be skewed as I live in sandals, loafers and flats.

I've just noticed I keep calling her "girl," whereas I would normally call someone her age "woman." I guess she reads so young to me that I think of her as a child

I agree that she is a cute girl. But really, these "modest girls" posting their cuteness all over their blogs crack me up. "I'm so modest. Look at how this non-defrauding outfit totally accentuates my countenance. And look how in this picture, my layers of clothes prove I love Jesus!"

It's hilarious

What the heck her post on her daily makeup routine from yesterday. She says she doesn't take off her makeup when she goes to sleep? WTH.

I had the same reaction - and that video is anything but modest.

Bleh. I don't really find this girl all that adorable, except, I guess, in that she's good-looking. She's pretty boring, way too saccharine, and doesn't sound particularly intelligent. And let's not forget that whether they're tiny, cute 19-year olds or frumpy 40-something-year old mothers of fifteen... these people are brainwashed and would love to restrict the rights of anyone who disagrees with them. Not much to see here.

Also, I don't like giving people heaps and heaps of slack just because they're nineteen. So she's fairly young, but she's a legal adult and quite a few people on here are only a little older than that. How much longer do we extend the "awww, she's young" excuse? 20? 25?

She is not a "girl". despite what the fundies would have you believe. She is a woman, and cute or no, she doesn't get any slack from me, especially since she is just spraying the koolaid.

Maybe in a different way, but making an outfit ugly to be "modest" (the floral dress with the ghastly stylings) is hardly groundbreaking work for Jesus. Her whole reason for going modest is "for guys". I knew this type of guys back in the day: they want a Christian trophy girl: modestly dressed (extra points if modesty is called attention to, with extra layers where they do not need to be, or headcovering, because, whoa, so humble!), prays up a storm, etc. HilaryFaye from Saved. Purity is a commodity.

They use the "cute" ones to hook you in. It is an age-old cult tactic: use the cute available ones: google "flirty fishing". It's changed, now that the internet gives them larger audiences from which to fish. I don't think that is what was meant in "Be a fisher of men.", but I could be wrong.

Maybe in a different way, but making an outfit ugly to be "modest" (the floral dress with the ghastly stylings) is hardly groundbreaking work for Jesus. Her whole reason for going modest is "for guys". I knew this type of guys back in the day: they want a Christian trophy girl: modestly dressed (extra points if modesty is called attention to, with extra layers where they do not need to be, or headcovering, because, whoa, so humble!), prays up a storm, etc. HilaryFaye from Saved. Purity is a commodity.

I remember a documentary about Muslim women in Egypt who didn't have to wear a headcovering but chose to do so. One did it because her husband demanded it, one I do not remember, but the third had the motivation you described, she wanted to attract a certain type of suitor, and she said she liked it the men she dated described her to their friends as a "veiled girl" first thing. Being veiled was a synonym for "will make a good wife" and was a near guarantee for her not to get stuck with a man who didn't mean business.

Religion becomes awfully similar if you step a bit backwards...

Squee!!!!

Aww, how cuuuute!!!

I so want to be Olivia when I grow up!!!

Thanks for braving the blog so the rest of us don't have to.

I don't think "insipid" is quite enough to describe all that, especially the bolded bits.

Maybe in a different way, but making an outfit ugly to be "modest" (the floral dress with the ghastly stylings) is hardly groundbreaking work for Jesus.

Amen to that.

I have to admit that her newest outfit is pretty ridiculous. A dress isn't fabulous anymore when it has another skirt sticking out of the bottom.

freshmodesty.blogspot.com/2012/09/purple-dress.html

Ugly hat too. And the first thing I notice is her boobs. That dress accentuates them.

A dress isn't fabulous anymore when it has another skirt sticking out of the bottom.

Yes. I understand the whole camisole or tank top thing - in fact, I do it quite a bit myself because I find between cutting the shirts shorter and the pants lower, I find myself in danger of flashing, and do not like that. Maurice's has a nice line of pretty lace-trimmed tanks that have quite a bit of stretch, and they make awesome layer pieces.

But wearing an extra skirt just seems ridiculous. Also, to be totally bitchy, if you're going to do the layer thing top and bottom, then make both the same color.

I have to admit that her newest outfit is pretty ridiculous. A dress isn't fabulous anymore when it has another skirt sticking out of the bottom.

Ugly hat too. And the first thing I notice is her boobs. That dress accentuates them.

Lol that hat. Why?

Also there seems to be a lot of thrift store shopping being mentioned in this blog (or at least more than twice). Is it the Lord's wish that you not buy your modest clothes at full price?

Guest Anonymous

Lol that hat. Why?

Also there seems to be a lot of thrift store shopping being mentioned in this blog (or at least more than twice). Is it the Lord's wish that you not buy your modest clothes at full price?

Isn't a 'thrift store' the same as a charity shop? So isn't it like giving money to charity?

By 14 when I was introduced to the skirts/modesty for guy’s sake

Um shouldn't you be doing it because you want to? I'll never understand why in fundie land it's all about the guys.

Isn't a 'thrift store' the same as a charity shop? So isn't it like giving money to charity?

I don't know about the rest of the world, but at least where I live no. The charity shop would be Goodwill while the thrift store would be some place like Marshalls, Plato's Closet, or some locally owned used clothes store/place where you could get stuff dirt cheap.

Thrift stores sell donated clothes like a charity shop, but the profits don't go to charity.

I don't know about the rest of the world, but at least where I live no. The charity shop would be Goodwill while the thrift store would be some place like Marshalls, Plato's Closet, or some locally owned used clothes store/place where you could get stuff dirt cheap.

I'm guessing there are regional differences, but I would not consider stores like Ross/Marshalls/TJ Maxx to be thrift stores. In my experience, thrift stores are secondhand stores, usually stocked by donations. They would not necessarily have to be affiliated with a charity, but nearly always are in practice. Of the thrift stores I've shopped at, one was part of a ministry that donated many of their items to needy families, and another used proceeds to benefit people with mental illnesses, plus the usual Goodwill, Salvation Army, and Habitat for Humanity thrift stores.

As to why our fundie maiden shops thrift stores, I'm guessing it's just one of those things that fundies do. It looks like she was raised at least fundie-lite, and that her parents believe in segregated gender roles and producing multiple children for god's army. The combination of one income + large family usually requires shopping at secondhand stores because they can't afford anything else. Also, if Olivia is reading other fundie blogs, especially those run by fundie mothers, they probably talk about thrifting a lot.

I'm guessing there are regional differences, but I would not consider stores like Ross/Marshalls/TJ Maxx to be thrift stores.

As to why our fundie maiden shops thrift stores, I'm guessing it's just one of those things that fundies do.

Yeah, I would go with regional differences then. The general area says that thrift stores are where you get stuff for low prices (or discount prices). And fundies do seem to frequent thrift stores a lot. Every time I go to Goodwill there's always a fundie family there. I'm assuming it's because of the large families, but I guess they could enjoy it (I love hunting for good stuff in second hand stores)

I'm guessing there are regional differences, but I would not consider stores like Ross/Marshalls/TJ Maxx to be thrift stores.

I call them "discount stores." Ross, Marshall's, TJ Maxx, Burlington Coat Factory, and Big Lots fall into that category. Overstock.com is the online equivalent. The merchandise is brand new, but it's overstocks, factory overruns, or leftovers from previous seasons.

"Thrift stores" sell donated used merchandise, and they may or may not be associated with a specific charity. There are some incredibly good buys to be had if you have the time, energy, and patience to sort through rack after rack of musty-smelling cast-offs (I do, and I find lots of great clothes, books, and housewares at Goodwill. Salvation Army, on the other hand, gets nothing from me because they hate the gays.).

I don't hear the term "charity shop" used here--I've only seen British/Commonwealth folks use it. But I might refer to "the Cancer Society shop" or similar, which are small thrift stores run by volunteers; the ones in upscale neighborhoods get really nice stuff donated to them.

"Resale stores," consignment stores," and "vintage boutiques" all sell used clothing, but unlike thrift stores they pay for their merchandise and are very picky about what they will buy. So the quality is higher, the merchandise is more current and interesting, and the prices are much higher than at thrift stores. Consignment stores for infants' and children's clothing and baby equipment are also really popular around here.

As to why our fundie maiden shops thrift stores, I'm guessing it's just one of those things that fundies do.

Well, she's not exactly earning an income of her own to spend on clothes, is she? I imagine she gets only a small clothing allowance and has to make it go a long way. So it's worth her while to look for those lucky thrift store finds. Plus, it also shows off to a future husband how frugal she is, how careful she'll be with his money, and how nice she'll manage to look on whatever pittance he allows her for clothes. Because a girl who bought all-new stuff? Good golly, she might have expectations, and that just won't do...

Falling asleep sitting up on a couch, and waking at 1am to find your family left you there.

Sun burning one side of your face (you may have fallen asleep outside, too)

Scheduling a nap into your afternoon every day. Seriously has helped me function better and be a happier, more productive person. :) And sleeping outside, preferably in the sun, boosts my energy even more! I can tell when my body is screaming, "D3!!" if I've been inside too much. :P I think the mexican siesta is fabulous.

I think so, too! I tried to talk my boss into implementing it, even cited studies showing greater productivity. She said "nice try." MEAN! :(

That purple dress....The under skirt does not even match! There are so many better ways to lengthen a skirt other than simply sticking another one under there. I would have kept the white cami and sewn a white fabric, maybe something 'lacy' to make the dress a touch longer.

...ang yes, that dress screams BOOBS!

The boots don't work, either.

Archived