IGNORED

Olivia from Fresh Modesty is just so adorable

Lady Elaine

I mean, if it was really just to show clothes that look good together, why not just post pictures of the outfits? Why stick yourself in the pictures, especially since so many of these blogs have like five or six pictures of the same outfit all with the blogger posed in various ways. It isn't the outfit they are showing off, it is themselves.

Not to mention the Twitter, Formspring and Pinterest. Nah it's not about Nina at all. :lol:

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not quite sure what a modest spirit is, but no, I definitely don't have one. That seems like some Christian framework that is absent in Judaism (other than the concept of "walking modestly with God", mainstream non-hareidi Judaism doesn't really talk about modesty/meekness/submission). I do have lots of skirts and long-sleeved shirts, however, which constitute modesty to me. And it seems your issue is with style blogging in general, not modesty blogging in particular.

And thanks, experiencedd, for completely ignoring everything I've written and sticking with your own baseless interpretation of my posts. Pot calling the kettle black much? But ah, I'm a fundie, so everything I say must be idiocy. Whoops.

If you want to post about all your clothes, doesn't bother me, but I just think it is stupid to claim that posting all about yourself is modest and not vain. Style bloggers aren't claiming to be modest.

A modest spirit is one that isn't vain.

You admit that your hobby is basically showing yourself off and talking about yourself and showing your clothes. That is pretty darn vain. So it is it better to not be vain and wear less clothes or to be vain and cover up more?

If you want to post about all your clothes, doesn't bother me, but I just think it is stupid to claim that posting all about yourself is modest and not vain. Style bloggers aren't claiming to be modest.

A modest spirit is one that isn't vain.

QFT

ETA bold

More ETA from Nina's blog:

sponsor

Interested in sponsoring alltumbledown:a modest attempt at style? I am currently accepting sidebar image ads, text links, product reviews and giveaway items. Shoot me an email at alltumbledown@gmail.com to discuss options. Rates are small-business friendly.

Monthly Blog Stats:

6,992 Visits

11,017 Pageviews

I'm not saying that the clothes aren't modest (though judging from what people believe some might say that you aren't dressed modestly), I'm saying that when your hobby is showing off yourself, then perhaps you aren't as modest as you think. You may be dressing modestly, but your actions aren't that modest and actions speak louder than words.

I agree with whoever said that she's basically advertising herself to catch a man. But what's so wrong with that? She knows what she wants and is going for it. I respect that kind of attitude more than women/girls who waste away under their father's protection and never put themselves out there. (Glad girls, Seven Sisters, Poor Sarah etc...)

Personally I'm more comfortable with someone Orthodox who posts pictures of herself following a liberal version of the clothing guidelines than with someone Orthodox who believes it's immodest for women's pictures to appear in newspapers or websites, or for women to even show their face around men.

Can't say the Twitter/Pinterest links seems particularly vain either--that's just standard procedure on lots of blogs.

Like I said, I don't pretend that it doesn't involve vanity. I think that would be rather unself-aware. But don't most hobbies (I am the best crafter! Basketball player!)? Personally, I don't find my blog to be overwhelmingly vain, more informational, but to each his/her own. If it offends you, don't read it. But I do stand by my original contention, that your definition of modesty is not universal. I merely document what I do with my region's modesty restrictions, and have never claimed that I am the most modest (read: not vain) person out there. Not out of a "modest spirit" or lack thereof, but because that definition holds no meaning for me. Continuing to assert that modesty means not vain is exactly what I am pointing out is not true universally. And yes, experiencedd, I accept ads. Which is still irrelevant to the discussion at hand.

Shey from A Skirt a Day http://www.askirtaday.com isn't categorizing herself as a modest style blogger anymore, but her looks are pretty conservative/modest and she has a real-sized body.

Doesn't every woman have a real-sized body?

Doesn't every woman have a real-sized body?[/quote]

Have you been watching your Project Runway with week? :D Heidi Klum said that to a guy bitching about having to dress a size 14.

/tangent

Have you been watching your Project Runway with week? :D Heidi Klum said that to a guy bitching about having to dress a size 14.

No, I've never seen the show. I hope the guy got a well-deserved smackdown.

Shocker, Experiencedd dislikes something I said and expressed it in the coarsest manner possible! B5Snowdog, of course every woman has a real-sized body. I use the term here as it is commonly used in the fashion blogosphere to refer to bodies that look like the average woman's body that you'd see walking down the street. Not necessarily plus-sized, but certainly not the size 0 of the fashion world. See http://www.curvygirlguide.com/curvy-pop ... yle-icons/

Shocker, Experiencedd dislikes something I said and expressed it in the coarsest manner possible! B5Snowdog, of course every woman has a real-sized body. I use the term here as it is commonly used in the fashion blogosphere to refer to bodies that look like the average woman's body that you'd see walking down the street. Not necessarily plus-sized, but certainly not the size 0 of the fashion world. See http://www.curvygirlguide.com/curvy-pop ... yle-icons/

This is not happy fundie land where we have to lie about our opinions and veil our insults. It's ironic that someone who famewhores for a living and calls it modest would be nitpicky about language.

To the bold. That was a WTF comment if I ever saw one.

I hate that Lane Bryant calls its discount program Real Women Dollars. Self-acceptance shouldn't come through denigrating our thinner sisters.

Chicca, you came here of your own free will. The FAQs are pretty clear that FJ is a free speech zone, including words you may not like. Suck it up and put on your real size big girl panties.

It's ironic that someone who famewhores for a living and calls it modest would be nitpicky about language.

You must have missed the entire thread above where I was nitpicky about imprecision in language. And "famewhoring" is just a hobby. I wish monetized google ads made what you and experiencedd seem to think they do. Until then, I'll just have to stick to being a poor grad student.

I don't care if it's commonly used, it's a shitty term that denigrates women who don't fit a particular description. Putting others down in order to make ourselves feel better through trite phrases like "Real women have curves" or "Real women eat" creates a divide among women when we should be working together against society's attacks on our self worth. It's the action of a bully and if we don't like it done to us, we shouldn't do it to others. Real women are people who identify as women.

This is not happy fundie land where we have to lie about our opinions and veil our insults. It's ironic that someone who famewhores for a living and calls it modest would be nitpicky about language.

Nina is here to build click$ nothing more. Her bullshit about real-sized bodies and her continued attempts at justifying her position are merely reminders that she isn't a very deep thinker. Now she's claiming it's an ok description since it's a term used by 'fashion bloggers'. I frankly don't give a shit if the term is used by the chief rabbi of Jerusalem it's wrong thinking.

Guest Anonymous
Like I said, I don't pretend that it doesn't involve vanity. I think that would be rather unself-aware. But don't most hobbies (I am the best crafter! Basketball player!)? Personally, I don't find my blog to be overwhelmingly vain, more informational, but to each his/her own. If it offends you, don't read it. But I do stand by my original contention, that your definition of modesty is not universal. I merely document what I do with my region's modesty restrictions, and have never claimed that I am the most modest (read: not vain) person out there. Not out of a "modest spirit" or lack thereof, but because that definition holds no meaning for me. Continuing to assert that modesty means not vain is exactly what I am pointing out is not true universally. And yes, experiencedd, I accept ads. Which is still irrelevant to the discussion at hand.

Seriously? You came over here and fucking linked it. You don't get to pimp it out and then say "don't like, don't read." Shit!

**Edited for fuck you. D'you think this is coarse enough or could I add some additional vulgarity?

Funny, Experiencedd, you didn't seem troubled by my use of the phrase until someone else pointed it out (and you had plenty of opportunities in your several posts attacking me to voice concerns). Yet now you're huffy about it. It doesn't take a deep thinker (glad, because apparently I am not one!) to see that you're just looking for any reason to criticize me. My "bullshit" and justifications? I used a term about a fashion blogger in a way that it is commonly used by fashion bloggers. I hear the concerns with the implications of the phrase, did not intend any harm by it, and was merely explaining why I used it. Chicca (condescending much?)

Lissar, I linked to my blog in a clear continuation of the thread. You quoted a post several replies down where we debated the meaning of modesty, in which I told a poster that if she disagrees with my understanding of the word modesty, she can feel free to ignore my blog. Not sure where the gun held to her head forcing her to click a link is in this forum.

Your hobby is putting yourself out on the internet to get people to look at you. You are dressed modestly, but your actions are not. Which is the point I was making and the point you seem to be missing. So the message from you and all other "modest" blogs is that looks matter more than actions. That you can do all you can to draw attention to yourself and your possessions as long as you don't show a lot of skin.

I don't read your blog. You came here to say that you are vain but modest, so I'm just addressing what you posted here. Like I said before if your hobby is not showing off yourself and is just helping others put together modest outfits, then there would be no need to post pictures of yourself. Just show the clothes.

Guest Anonymous
Lissar, I linked to my blog in a clear continuation of the thread. You quoted a post several replies down where we debated the meaning of modesty, in which I told a poster that if she disagrees with my understanding of the word modesty, she can feel free to ignore my blog. Not sure where the gun held to her head forcing her to click a link is in this forum.

Do please mansplain at me some more, I like it.

Here's some 'splaining for you: You put the link to your blog on a snark forum. What did you think was going to happen?

Archived