IGNORED

Maxwell Guessing Game

Eclipse

There may well be some fundy girl waiting to hitch her uterus to Joseph. I think though, that it is far more likely they are all so bored out of their everlovin' gourds that they are grateful for something to do.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think people may be mistaking this for a fundie problem. It's actually a Southern problem. So many people I know proudly post "I'm a Texan so I can do anything in flip flops" or "I'm from the south and we know that you can do anything in flip flops" on their wall, or who are never seen in anything else. Some of them put on better shoes for cold weather, rain, or dangerous activities, and some of them...don't. And these are people who are anywhere from conservative to very liberal.

It's all fun and games until someone loses a toe or a foot to a power tool...... then, if you're a fundie, you blame it on sin in the camp or not believing enough in God....

They had the girls doing the worst work of all: scraping popcorn finish off the ceilings and then, to put a fine point on it -- wallpaper. Yeah, the other work is similarly dirty and includes more heavy lifting - but I can tell you from long years of experience: ceilings = the very worst.

So much for protecting the delicate flowers o'womanhood.

Most popcorn ceilings are filled with asbestos.

They had the girls doing the worst work of all: scraping popcorn finish off the ceilings and then, to put a fine point on it -- wallpaper. Yeah, the other work is similarly dirty and includes more heavy lifting - but I can tell you from long years of experience: ceilings = the very worst.

So much for protecting the delicate flowers o'womanhood.

They pointed out that the girls survived despite the heat, but didn't say anything like that for the man-children. I guess manly men are immune to heat exhaustion? :doh: Lame.

We know their life is boring but I wonder if the kids understand their own feelings enough to identify and articulate things like boredom and depression. Since depression is frowned upon and apparently suffering from pain is not an excuse to be unhappy...I don't think they understand what's happening when they feel boredom.

There may well be some fundy girl waiting to hitch her uterus to Joseph. I think though, that it is far more likely they are all so bored out of their everlovin' gourds that they are grateful for something to do.

I was just going through the old archives of the MaxBlog again trying to find pics of them building the current Chez Maxwell (it's back in Spring 2007, for anyone else who might be interested in reading around those) and was just now noticing that their blog used to be a LOT more interesting.

Why? Because they were always going on conferences. And even though they still only ever seemed to take pictures of people as objects (people they don't know, attending their conferences) they had lots of outdoor shots from their van/bus/whatever and them in various locales around the US and Canada - interesting pictures!

The blog seemed to be a lot more about "follow us on our travels!" (plus the bus remodel, which is what pulled me in!) but now without so much travelling, they just seem to lack for content.

So the past week or so has been great for the blog, what with baby pics AND a new house!

I think Sarah became Steve's "wife" in the 8 years Teri had the horrible depression. I am pretty sure that is why he won't let her leave.

I looked at the pictures of the house. It looks like they're going to completely redo every single inch of it. He could have had one built to his specs if he really wanted.

I wonder how much he paid for it. Do we know any of the specifications about it? I'm extra curious about houses and fixing stuff up since I've become a homeowner [one month ago]. We've spent a lot of time and money and effort already, I can't imagine this kind of work.

I looked at the pictures of the house. It looks like they're going to completely redo every single inch of it. He could have had one built to his specs if he really wanted.

I wonder how much he paid for it. Do we know any of the specifications about it? I'm extra curious about houses and fixing stuff up since I've become a homeowner [one month ago]. We've spent a lot of time and money and effort already, I can't imagine this kind of work.

Well, they live in Leavenworth, KS. And the compound is listed on Zillow (or one of those sites) as something like 4500 sq. ft. and worth under 500K IIRC. It's been a long time since I've looked at it andI can't remember how I even got their address (maybe it's on their website? Can't remember). So you figure Joseph's house is probably less than half that size and it was probably either a foreclosure and/or unloaded really cheap since there were some structural issues they mention about the back sunroom. So my guess is he paid under $100K for it. And it will cost him money to fix it into liveable condition.

Yeah, but think of all the time he'll get to spend doing something for himself for a change. It's got to be the only way he can do anything vaguely fulfilling at the same time as keeping Steve-O satisfied.

Given zoning laws, permits, and other local hassles, it's sometimes easier to buy and gut an older home than it is to build one from scratch.

Guest Anonymous

Goddamit yeah... Miss Sarah Maxwell fully expects that her sisters in law to be are dutifully scrubbing down cabinet doors in her prospective headship's home, in advance of her nuptials.... :mrgreen:

Does this mean that any suitors for the daughters would have to own a house outright?

Oh, absolutely. And especially in this wave of foreclosures happening over the past few years. Those suitors better have at least one house fully paid for.

And maybe the economy is one more reason Sarah isn't married. Men (boys) who are self-employed have probably really struggled -- are you going to hire someone to paint your house or are you going to put food on the table? Sarah's timing was unfortunate -- just when she was to be Cinderella the economy dumped and nobody is hiring anyone -- blue collar or not. So her potential suitors are becoming farmers or something, something people NEED, not necessarily what people WANT. You don't hire OneTonOnramp when you can learn it yourself online. You also don't make any money if you are remodeling houses for other people because they don't have incomes to support paying anyone to do it.

Unless Sarah marries someone who hasn't too much of his empire through this economic downturn, she's destined to be a SAHD forever.

ETA: "Unless Sarah marries someone who hasn't LOST too much of his empire...".

Does this mean that any suitors for the daughters would have to own a house outright?

Absolutely. Not only that the potential suitor must drop down out of the sky into Steve-o's lap as Sarah isn't allowed to actually be out there in situations where she might meet a potential suitor. The Maxwells are more insular than most of the fundies we discuss so that really cuts down Sarah's chances. The only chance she gets to meet someone is at their conferences which aren't happening much these days. Even then what are the chances of meeting a family with a marriageable age son (30 to 35), solvent with his own successful business, owns his own home outright, fits Steve-o's godly criteria and whose family isn't intimidated enough to prevent them approaching the family? Most of the families at the conferences are in awe of the Maxwells and wouldn't consider themselves to be of equal status and Steve wouldn't consider them to be either. Most of the families have younger children too, not 35 year old unmarried sons. Sarah might have a chance of attracting a husband if she frequented some of the conferences that the fundie royalty attend, such as the VF ones or the IBLP ones, but she doesn't. The Maxwells are out there on their own in the little world. Sarah doesn't stand a chance.

Joseph will continue to live here at home until the Lord calls him to get married.
But no hope chests for the daughters, and Sarah, don't hypothetically discuss future courtships on the internet. :roll:

Does anyone else find the latest photo of Christopher and the baby... offputting?

Given zoning laws, permits, and other local hassles, it's sometimes easier to buy and gut an older home than it is to build one from scratch.

Given the quick purchase of the house and how fast they started gutting it, I would be surprised if they have even applied for the appropriate building permits. And if there is asbestos involved, then by law it has to be removed by an authorized company.

:character-oldtimer:

Over here, yes, yes I do.

They are more the type of composition and posing that I associate with a fellow who's proud of his trout catch of the day, or a prize pumpkin, or the model that's gonna win the architectural company the contract on the new bank in town.

IOW, pure Maxwell photography. Which is a doggone dirty shame, as some of the initial photos seemed to show Chris as genuinely thrilled with the little new life as is his wife.

Long, heavy, sigh. I watch the Maxwells in spite of myself. Whoever said, "Gloom to the last drop" and "Maxhell" said it all. They seem such an ingrown, self-satisfied hive of impossible perfection ... with layers of sadness and pointlessness over, under and through.

Perhaps i need to go cold-turkey on that clan. It certainly doesn't help my own innate depression.

I think the fact that all the Maxwells jumped on this renovation project so, so quickly shows how little they actually have to do. Joseph wants it all done by end of summer. You'd think this would be Maxwell and Sons busy season, but obviously not.

The speed of the renovation astounds me. Around here you need permits to replace windows, and the permitting process is woefully slow.

edited to add:

I reviewed all of the pictures on the demo after my first coffee and based on the scope of work this project would have to be permitted in my county. Plans would need to be submitted to ensure that when the walls were demo'd sufficient permanent support could be provided for the exterior walls and ceilings/roof. Prior to them closing any walls and inspection would need to take place, and a sign off. Same with any electrical rewiring etc.

The speed of the renovation astounds me. Around here you need permits to replace windows, and the permitting process is woefully slow.

edited to add:

I reviewed all of the pictures on the demo after my first coffee and based on the scope of work this project would have to be permitted in my county. Plans would need to be submitted to ensure that when the walls were demo'd sufficient permanent support could be provided for the exterior walls and ceilings/roof. Prior to them closing any walls and inspection would need to take place, and a sign off. Same with any electrical rewiring etc.

If they are in the county, here's the rule: The County does NOT have an adopted set of building codes. This means that we do not issue an occupancy permit or make any type of inspections concerning the methods or quality of construction used in any residential or accessory structure in the county. Nor do we have any rules governing the installation of electrical, plumbing or mechanical systems for this type of structures. Buildings for commercial or public use are controlled by the State's guidelines.

I couldn't find anything on the city web page.

If they are in the county, here's the rule: The County does NOT have an adopted set of building codes. This means that we do not issue an occupancy permit or make any type of inspections concerning the methods or quality of construction used in any residential or accessory structure in the county. Nor do we have any rules governing the installation of electrical, plumbing or mechanical systems for this type of structures. Buildings for commercial or public use are controlled by the State's guidelines.

I couldn't find anything on the city web page.

I figured as much. They can now proceed with whatever they want and not submit to the ebil government.

The home we purchased when we came to Oregon was in county and did not have to comply with code standards. We purchased it because it was truly over engineered, compared to any other rural property viewed by my headship at the time.

I don't find the pix of baby odd (they're more or less the norm around here), but I DO find it curious there's one of Christopher with baby but no new ones of mom & baby (brain freeze on mom's name!)

ETA: NR-Anna, lol

I figured as much. They can now proceed with whatever they want and not submit to the ebil government.

The home we purchased when we came to Oregon was in county and did not have to comply with code standards. We purchased it because it was truly over engineered, compared to any other rural property viewed by my headship at the time.

Wow, I'd sure hate to live in a city/town/county that does not have building codes and require inspections and permits. Codes save lives and prevent electrical fires, etc. Anyone ever watch Mike Holmes on TLC? He fixes the "messes" done by weekend warriers and unskilled contractors....

Wow, I'd sure hate to live in a city/town/county that does not have building codes and require inspections and permits. Codes save lives and prevent electrical fires, etc. Anyone ever watch Mike Holmes on TLC? He fixes the "messes" done by weekend warriers and unskilled contractors....

Exactly. I have read that there are parts of Texas that do not have residential building codes, not just for county but for in town residents.

I'm still wondering where the boy got the money to do this project.

Archived