IGNORED

The Pilgrim/Hales/Buckinghams

terranova

I predict the goats will be calling her away from this thread for a very, very long time.

Her baby is adorable, though. And I like her kitchen. And I never realized moose had such large hearts.

All of the above.... :)

Moose are huge animals, one good size male bull can give you 800+ pounds of meat. Many families rely on moose to get them through the winter. No moose = no meat which means eating whatever small game and fish that are caught, moose is yummy too.

Oh, it's them? Yeah, I read their blog last week some time, from when the baby first came home to now. It's quite a nice homesteader blog, the gardening is pretty cool to look at (love the greenhouses) and yeah, that baby is just cute cute cute!! :)

Oh wow, I just looked at the information on this gal. She couldn't be more fundie if her name was Fundie McFunderson. Her and her husband have an Emily/DNA vibe to them. *shudders*

Since we are already engaging with this person and she knows all about fj, would it be okay if someone could please give a link to her blog?? I'm sorry but I am not seeing anything when I try to Google. Thank you very much!!

Oh wow, I just looked at the information on this gal. She couldn't be more fundie if her name was Fundie McFunderson. Her and her husband have an Emily/DNA vibe to them. *shudders*

i caught the E/DNA vibe after reading their FB and some of the commentary they submitted online regarding news stories or legislation. They're right of Pat Buchanan politically.

Paula is the person this blog post is about, right?

cheeseslave.com/real-food-kitchen-tour-bubbling-brook-farm/

Thanks folks! I saw the cheeseslave blog, knew it wasn't by Paula, but didn't quite get that there was an entry about Paula within. I agree that the baby is adorable. But that "WAPF" homemade baby formula is bad, bad news.

And Paula/Denali, you suck for spewing private information about your neighbors all over the internet.

i caught the E/DNA vibe after reading their FB and some of the commentary they submitted online regarding news stories or legislation. They're right of Pat Buchanan politically.

If you're right of Pat Buchanan politically, don't you just fall off the edge of the Earth? :lol:

Paula is the person this blog post is about, right?

cheeseslave.com/real-food-kitchen-tour-bubbling-brook-farm/

Well, now I'm getting paranoid. Paula's blog is closed and now the cheese slave blog is suddenly down "for maintenance." Coincidence! Probably, but still :)

She seems to have closed her blog right before we were onto her, because I was the one of the first sniffing around and it was already closed, but someone else here was reading there last week. If you have nothing to hide, then why hide it? These Alaskan fundies are really shady. Seriously, though, I thought it was one of the Buckinghams and I was hoping to bust them. I swear, I do not make a habit of cyberstalking everyone who posts here :lol:

I think there is an inherent distrust of everyone and everything among the fundies and other extreme groups in Alaska. You have to have a certain degree of dedication to live in AK and I think it is the place that people who want to "hide out" go to. In a lot of ways it is a bit easier to live off the grid and subsist on what you raise and hunt than it might be in the lower 48. The families collect their PFD checks and homeschooling is pretty normal for homesteading families. There are school districts that cater to these homeschoolers and provide everything they may need for the kids including computers and books, that's if they follow the state curriculum. I also think they may be more excepted in a place like AK because in a lot of ways many of the people who reside there are "different" than the average lower 48 resident. People tend to mind their own business and not ask questions. That being said I remember quite a few horrific stories about these isolated families and the abuses they visited on their children. The Kelly Family tied children to dog house, put them in kennels and refused them food and the Hale patriarch beat his sons and daughters while he raped the younger daughter(s). Isolation is a great way to be able to do what you wish to whomever you wish without anyone noticing.

• Upvote 1

Well, now I'm getting paranoid. Paula's blog is closed and now the cheese slave blog is suddenly down "for maintenance." Coincidence! Probably, but still :)

I don't think Cheeseslave is a fundie, but she is one we've discussed before about vaccines. She's of the mind that vaccines aren't needed because diet can control everything, and vaccines are bad. The blog loads for me.

She seems to have closed her blog right before we were onto her, because I was the one of the first sniffing around and it was already closed, but someone else here was reading there last week. If you have nothing to hide, then why hide it? These Alaskan fundies are really shady. Seriously, though, I thought it was one of the Buckinghams and I was hoping to bust them. I swear, I do not make a habit of cyberstalking everyone who posts here :lol:

I was reading there last week, yeah. I read their blog before reading the rest of the travel blog, and in fact I noticed their blog was closed first. They go to the same church, and they posted on the same blog as some of the other family, which is how I found their blog to start with - from a comment on yet another blog.

Plus as it happens I'd been reading a lot about fermented raw animal foods and raw milk due to some completely other searches, and it was sort of "ooh, something hitting both my interests this week!" plus a cute cute baby, so yes, I indulged my curiosity there.

The people pictured on that Cheeseslave post are them, yeah. I recognize them from their blog.

Perhaps it's a different kind of fundie-ism but they are into Weston Price, yeah. Some completely unrelated blogs I'd been reading last week (on a fermented raw meat google binge) mentioned Weston Price so it rang familiar.

Damn, I was looking forward to reading how they fixed their baby's overbite with food.

Damn, I was looking forward to reading how they fixed their baby's overbite with food.

Probably the same way Sarah from the Stupid Home Economist fixed her son's cavity, with butter oil. DUHHH. ;)

Can I please point out that not every one in Alaska is a fundie survival type? Some of us are quite social and we are the "least spiritual" state and i think one of the least Christian states as well, in that article that was linked on FJ in the past few days.

And while people claim that the PFD draws people to Alaska, I've never met a single person who thinks the PFD is anything more than a nice little bonus. It's a big chunk of change if you have a bunch of kids, but everyone I know puts it in an account for that child. That's what's nice about it, it's college or a gap year trip. I'm glad I didn't grow up here, my parents would be like the ones I hear about who spend all of their kid's money on stuff they need now. We don't pay any state or local taxes, but we also don't have anywhere near as the level of 'services' that I recall from living in the lower 48. We also don't have as many people, and the poorest of the poor (and I was one of them) have a lot more available funds for food stamps. Housing in Anchorage is really expensive. Not NYC expensive, but still expensive and very limited.

The year that we had the bonus, when it was $3200, that was a one time thing and I did see some pretty crazy stuff going on, but it really isn't a reason to move to Alaska, IMO. Especially if you choose to live off the road system. Gas prices (according to my not-scientific research of asking my family in the lower 48 what gas prices are) tend to be less than a $1 more (in Anchorage) than "down south," and food prices for non local produce are more. We also have a lot less food in general in our grocery stores and a lot more pre-packaged junk food. The further you get from Anchorage, the more things cost. Everything.

I wish she hadn't shut down the blog before I had a chance to look at it. I like to look at alaska blogs to see how they set up their gardens and how they prevent bears from killing their goats.

Quite frankly she did not give many details. However! The basic gist was:

Raw cod liver oil (which is the magic cure for a lot of stuff, according to the Weston Price foundation (google that, it's... interesting, and you will realize the dentistry angle).

High nutrient foods, generally meaning animal foods, and in particular bone broth.

Raw milk. Yes, raw milk for babies. There was a link to a recipe for baby formula made with raw milk, something else that Weston Price is into. You can find the recipe on the main Weston Price site, it is also on realmilk.com, and a quick google shows that it's also on cheeseslave.

It's a belief that by eating various foods, particularly raw milk foods, you can repair defects in your teeth and rebuild the enamel and whatever. It's the same thing behind the people who brush their teeth with butter and clay (you can find lots of this on paleo sites, and in fact the "raw meat wife swap" family - google that for some fascination!! - was into it).

I was reading around the post in question wondering if there was also any sort of braces or moulds involved but I did not see any reference to it, just the diet. So yeah, call me skeptical, just because that disorder isn't just about bone and teeth mass (even if you accept all the rest of those types of claims, and I will just say, go google around Weston Price) it's about alignment. But, I didn't find out more details before it was closed.

cpennylane - I hear ya. I don't want to give off that impression, either. FWIW this family has pretty neat greenhouses, just built with scrap. Nice photos of veggies too.

Raw milk? Was it goat milk or cow milk? I wouldn't give cow milk to a baby whether it was raw or not :O

Raw milk? Was it goat milk or cow milk? I wouldn't give cow milk to a baby whether it was raw or not :O

The recipes all suggest cow milk from "old fashioned cows" but give goat milk as an alternative. I'm not sure what milk she used but if she's got a goat farm she maybe used goat milk, I don't know.

The recipes all suggest cow milk from "old fashioned cows" but give goat milk as an alternative. I'm not sure what milk she used but if she's got a goat farm she maybe used goat milk, I don't know.

Old fashioned cows? Cows wearing hoopskirts??

And while people claim that the PFD draws people to Alaska, I've never met a single person who thinks the PFD is anything more than a nice little bonus.

I don't think everyone moves to AK for the PFD but I do think it is an attractive incentive to larger families. I personally know two large families in Anchorage (8 & 10 kids) who have told me they can't leave because of the PFD and they have also moved additional family members to AK because of the PFD. I also believe and know that these are some of the people who abuse their PFD eligibility and collect PFDs for children that no longer reside in the state, and yes I know they can be reported. I never really thought much of it and all it usually did was pay for my airline ticket to go back east and visit family. I never found Anchorage COL to be that much more than where I lived (MA) before I moved back to AK (Eagle River) and don't find it that way now. Housing prices were very similar and yes I have taxes now but property tax rate here is less than Anchorage and the sales tax makes everything else (food/dry goods) about the same price. I did live in the bush when I was young and that was quite expensive. The variety of food available is definitely a problem and my husband is in heaven here with all the choices, especially the fresh food.

I personally believe that Anchorage is very different than many others parts of Alaska in the type of people who reside there. I do think that the fundies in AK tend more towards the survivalist types but I think that is more out of necessity. There is also a pretty good group of John Birch Society followers in specific areas.

Probably the same way Sarah from the Stupid Home Economist fixed her son's cavity, with butter oil. DUHHH. ;)

Yep, she talks about it here http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/308498/owwww

She's PaulaJoanne on backyardchickend & mothering.com - love how she links to her blogs in the 3rd person on that thread.

On the older (2009-ish) threads at mothering, she also seemed to be getting into the fake-Jew thing and ticked off some of the real Jews there by asking for tips about "Kosher housekeeping" and such.

Old fashioned cows? Cows wearing hoopskirts??

LOL!

The raw-milk baby formula and healing the underbite with food, not so much.