IGNORED

Duggar recipes

xReems

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Paraffin?!? :shock: You can eat paraffin?!? :shock:

Want to bet the bacon isn't turkey bacon?

I'm not going to lie. Turkey bacon makes me want to cry. I hate it. I think it's foul and if one more person tries to tell me that it's "just like bacon!" I'm going to scream. It's not "just like bacon". Bacon is just like bacon. And bacon is awesome. I understand turkey bacon is better for you, but my personal preference is that I'd rather have 1/2 a strip of real bacon than 3 pieces of turkey bacon. /turkey bacon rant

I also love Velveeta macaroni & cheese and the occasional velveeta dip. And in their defense, 2 pounds of Velveeta in a dish works out to 1.6 ounces per person, which is only 128 calories and 9.6 grams of fat. Not ideal, obviously, but it won't kill you twice a month. Brie has almost as many calories and as much fat per ounce. Cheddar has 113 calories and 9.3 grams of fat per ounce, so 1.6 ounces would be 180 calories and 14.8 grams of fat. Not saying Velveeta should be, like, a food group but I think the fact is so processed and not really cheese makes people think it will kill you with calories and fat when compared to other cheeses, which is not true.

That said, WTF is up w/ the paraffin? I keep thinking that must be an error. That they mean you need paraffin paper/wax paper to store the buckeyes, b/c the outside coating is just chocolate.

I just think the Duggar diet has to do with a few things: 1. They want young kids to be able to cook, so the meals are very simple and involve minimal actual cooking. 2. IF the kids are too young to cook a meal, they still need to be able to feed themselves throughout the day, hence the microwave meals. 3. It's easier to make things that can be cooked in large "batches" of food -- hence the emphasis on soup, casseroles, etc. 4. Cost. I know the Duggars have more money now, but it's still expensive to feed 21 people three times per day, plus a minimal amount of snacks. I mean, even comparing the Food Network recipe to their recipe for chicken and noodles -- cream of chicken soup and boulion are much less expensive than dry sherry, fresh herbs and heavy cream. 5. I think that food is one of the few joys that many fundie family's have (although some restrict even that), and people who want comfort food often turn to processed, heavy foods and many people find these processed foods delicious, far more so than fresh foods. I know that sounds crazy, but it's true.

The paraffin helps the chocolate coat and stick to the peanut butter balls. Yes you can eat it. It doesn't taste like anything and you won't even notice it. Every chocolate dipped strawberry you've ever had is done with paraffin.

demgirl, I have to disagree about the turkey bacon. I enjoy the flavor of real bacon but sadly it causes me to have extreme pain so I can't even see it without feeling the pain it causes me, so turkey bacon is my only way to eat those yummy BLTs I crave. That and I can it it without thinking this is going to freaking kill me in less time than it took to make it.

Paraffin wax (or simply "paraffin", but see alternative name for kerosene, above) is mostly found as a white, odorless, tasteless, waxy solid, with a typical melting point between about 46 and 68 °C (115 and 154 °F),[3] and having a density of around 0.9 g/cm3.[4] It is insoluble in water, but soluble in ether, benzene, and certain esters. Paraffin is unaffected by most common chemical reagents,[citation needed] but burns readily.

Pure paraffin wax is an excellent electrical insulator, with an electrical resistivity of between 1013 and 1017 ohm metre.[5] This is better than nearly all other materials except some plastics (notably Teflon). It is an effective neutron moderator and was used in James Chadwick's 1932 experiments to identify the neutron.[6][7]

Paraffin wax (C25H52) is an excellent material to store heat, having a specific heat capacity of 2.14–2.9 J g−1 K−1 (joule per gram kelvin) and a heat of fusion of 200–220 J g−1.[8] This property is exploited in modified drywall for home building material: it is infused in the drywall during manufacture so that, when installed, it melts during the day, absorbing heat, and solidifies again at night, releasing the heat.[9] Paraffin wax phase change cooling coupled with retractable radiators was used to cool the electronics of the Lunar Rover.[10] Wax expands considerably when it melts and this allows its use in thermostats for industrial, domestic and, particularly, automobile purposes.[11][12]

In industrial applications, it is often useful to modify the crystal properties of the paraffin wax, typically by adding branching to the existing carbon backbone chain. The modification is usually done with additives, such as EVA copolymers, microcrystalline wax, or forms of polyethylene. The branched properties result in a modified paraffin with a higher viscosity, smaller crystalline structure, and modified functional properties. Pure paraffin wax is rarely used for carving original models for casting metal and other materials in the lost wax process, as it is relatively brittle at room temperature and presents the risks of chipping and breakage when worked. Soft and pliable waxes, like beeswax, may be preferred for such sculpture, but "investment casting waxes," often paraffin-based, are expressly formulated for the purpose.[citation needed]

Wiki definition. I am not eating that ever.

turkey bacon isn't all that much better than regular bacon. I've actually heard it's worse. They have to do so much to it and put so much salt on it to make it "bacon-like".

We were taught how to prepare simple meals as kids. But we made meals like jacket potatoes with corn salad. Same efforts, takes longer time to cook but you just dump the potatoes into the oven an hour earlier, and whip up the salad in 5. Fast food does not need to be horrible or downright deadly.

Well, Lord, LPG... I don't want you to be denied yummy BLTs! There are many good reasons to switch to turkey bacon -- health reasons (like yours), health reasons as in just being healthier, preference for taste, etc. My turkey bacon rant has more to do with the current culture of food in America than turkey bacon itself (although I really do hate it, I'm sorry to say.) Someone on FJ, I can't think who at the moment even though it was like a week ago at most, posted a really smart dissection of the new American obsession with "pure" eating and I really liked it. Wish I could QFT. Anyway, my turkey bacon/Velveeta rant is much more about that than anything else. I just can't figure out why people think it's okay to like, lean over in a restaurant and give me a dissertation on why I shouldn't be eating bacon and should switch to turkey bacon and "OH MY GOD DID YOU JUST PUT SALT ON YOUR EGGS DON'T YOU KNOW WHAT SALT DOES TO YOU?!?" I just find it to be an annoying and weird development in American culture in the last decade and it's probably one of my biggest pet peeves. Which -- again. Nothing about you, LPG and those who eat turkey bacon -- the words "turkey bacon" apparently just trip the "RANT. RANT NOW" center of my brain due to close association between the words and pushy, condescending hipsters bugging me while I'm trying to eat my damn breakfast.

Ahem. Topic. You can eat paraffin!?! As in the wax that fixes the cracks on my hands in the winter?

Wow, they cook like hungry stoners!

I live in the Marijuana Capital of North Carolina. I assure you that hungry stoners are better cooks.

Though if these recipes did come from hungry stoners, it would explain quite a bit about the Juterus...

The hungry stoners comment was the funniest I've read. I am very imaginative. I can see them laying around, stoned, laughing, praying, then tossing whatever they just find in the kitchen into the micro.

Ahem. Topic. You can eat paraffin!?! As in the wax that fixes the cracks on my hands in the winter?

Yes. Any chocolate-covered food (almonds, strawberries, coffee beans) has it. That's how it gets that hard shiny coating. Otherwise it'd melt instantly.

Well, Lord, LPG... I don't want you to be denied yummy BLTs! There are many good reasons to switch to turkey bacon -- health reasons (like yours), health reasons as in just being healthier, preference for taste, etc. My turkey bacon rant has more to do with the current culture of food in America than turkey bacon itself (although I really do hate it, I'm sorry to say.) Someone on FJ, I can't think who at the moment even though it was like a week ago at most, posted a really smart dissection of the new American obsession with "pure" eating and I really liked it. Wish I could QFT. Anyway, my turkey bacon/Velveeta rant is much more about that than anything else. I just can't figure out why people think it's okay to like, lean over in a restaurant and give me a dissertation on why I shouldn't be eating bacon and should switch to turkey bacon and "OH MY GOD DID YOU JUST PUT SALT ON YOUR EGGS DON'T YOU KNOW WHAT SALT DOES TO YOU?!?" I just find it to be an annoying and weird development in American culture in the last decade and it's probably one of my biggest pet peeves. Which -- again. Nothing about you, LPG and those who eat turkey bacon -- the words "turkey bacon" apparently just trip the "RANT. RANT NOW" center of my brain due to close association between the words and pushy, condescending hipsters bugging me while I'm trying to eat my damn breakfast.

:? I hope you didn't think I was ranting on you. Far from it, just saying that we are opposits on real bacon/turkey bacon for very real reasons. By the way, if you ever come over to my house for dinner and we were having something that called for bacon, you can be rest assured that you would have your real bacon while I had my fake bacon. You might have to fight for it though as my guys agree with you that bacon is better when it comes from a pig. ;)

Yes. Any chocolate-covered food (almonds, strawberries, coffee beans) has it. That's how it gets that hard shiny coating. Otherwise it'd melt instantly.

:? That explains why my homemade chocolate candies are always melting. I never have heard of adding parraffin. Oh well, melted chocolate still tastes yummy and it keeps just as well in the fridge. :lol:

The hungry stoners comment was the funniest I've read. I am very imaginative. I can see them laying around, stoned, laughing, praying, then tossing whatever they just find in the kitchen into the micro.

I know I can picture that too! I would so hang out with them if they were like that, that would be a blast.

My mom makes buckeye balls every year for xmas, they are kinda like way better reece's peanut butter cups. She used to use paraffin in the chocolate, but a few years ago, she switched to the good quality couverture chocolate from the baking supply store. They should be rolled fairly small to have an optimum chocolate to peanut butter ratio. No paraffin is not good to eat, but if a person eats velveeta, than a little paraffin is nothing.

I used to eat turkey bacon because I didn't eat pork (I recently just had two pasture-raised pigs butchered, it's all about the humanely raised livestock). It's *like* bacon, but not just like bacon, obviously.

okay, 2 lbs of cheese, and a "chicken rice enchelada" recipe with no real chicken, not even ground?

Not only am I surprised that JimBob hasn't dropped dead if they actually eat this way, but that any of these people can actually poop on a regular basis. They're also morons if they think this is less expensive in any way - velveeta (who must be giving them kickbacks and free stuff) is expensive compared to actual cheese and adding cream soup to everything is an extra expense too.

Another Hungry Stoner Duggar Recipe:

Haystacks

butterscotch chips, melted

1-2 c. chow mein noodles

1-2 c. peanuts

Mix all ingredients together and drop on waxed paper. Enjoy!

Who wants to bet that chow mein noodles are about as exotic as the Duggars go in their food choices?

They want young kids to be able to cook, so the meals are very simple and involve minimal actual cooking.

I can buy this one, if not agree with it. But then when does anyone LEARN how to cook stuff that doesn't come out of a can?

IF the kids are too young to cook a meal, they still need to be able to feed themselves throughout the day, hence the microwave meals.

This is where a garden would be awesome, because then the kids could nosh on vegetables that don't come out of a can.

I think that food is one of the few joys that many fundie family's have (although some restrict even that), and people who want comfort food often turn to processed, heavy foods and many people find these processed foods delicious, far more so than fresh foods. I know that sounds crazy, but it's true.

Well, that and it's what they have grown up with, which is what makes most comfort foods. I can't imagine eating their recipes, but you are talking to the person who was eating sour cream and onion potato chips dipped in soy sauce to quiet the period salt demon....

Who wants to bet that chow mein noodles are about as exotic as the Duggars go in their food choices?

I'm sure orange flavored chicken from Panda Express would be pushing their exotic food limit too.

You people crack me up. So to speak.... :lol:

:? I hope you didn't think I was ranting on you. Far from it, just saying that we are opposits on real bacon/turkey bacon for very real reasons. By the way, if you ever come over to my house for dinner and we were having something that called for bacon, you can be rest assured that you would have your real bacon while I had my fake bacon. You might have to fight for it though as my guys agree with you that bacon is better when it comes from a pig. ;)

No worries, LPL. ;) I didn't think you were! I just read back my first post about turkey bacon and thought, "Demgirl, you sound like a bitch". So then, I decided I'd clarify with a second post, which I feel makes me sound like a crazy person, but not as much a bitch. :P I'd love to eat bacon with your little pugs. :mrgreen:

when you buy those melting chocolates they use palm kernel oil or coconut oil to make them solid. so paraffin will just slide through you.

One thing that amazes me about the Duggars is that they actually post these recipes. I bet that we all have some type of processed food that we love. However, if we were going to write out recipes for the entire world to see, wouldn't we pick our best meals? I certainly wouldn't add any meal that had velveeta in it, even if my family loved it.

By the way, velveeta is expensive. I grew up with a mom who loved it and used it often. As an adult, I find Velveeta too salty. My family used cream of soup also but, again, I no longer like the taste. Even if I liked the taste, I would know not to include those recipes for the world to see.

Another Hungry Stoner Duggar Recipe:

Haystacks

butterscotch chips, melted

1-2 c. chow mein noodles

1-2 c. peanuts

Mix all ingredients together and drop on waxed paper. Enjoy!

Those haystacks are delicious! They're easy to bring to pot lucks and such.

Archived