IGNORED

Fundie Recipes

makepeace

Oh, here's a bad recipe courtesy of Paula Deen...

Burger

Fried egg

Cooked bacon

Sandwiched between two glazed doughnuts.

(if you don't believe me, go to YouTube and type in "Paula Deen Sandwich").

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh, here's a bad recipe courtesy of Paula Deen...

Burger

Fried egg

Cooked bacon

Sandwiched between two glazed doughnuts.

(if you don't believe me, go to YouTube and type in "Paula Deen Sandwich").

Oh, dude, you're missing the best part of the recipe: the name. It's called the "[link=http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paulas-home-cooking/the-ladys-brunch-burger-recipe/index.html]Lady's Brunch Burger[/link]"! :dance:

I still remember hunting down the small liquor store in Kauai that sold Spam or hot dogs rolled up in sushi rice, served cold for my friends. No thanks. I love Hawaii, but too much rocessed meat love there.

I want to add that this thread took me the closest I have ever come to actually throwing up from reading a recipe for "food", the winner, Shrimp Jello. That is the most terrifying thing ever.

I also must admit I do occassionally eat cream soup casseroles, only two Green Bean and Broccoli (with real cheese not velvetta). I admit I was raised with them, so have a soft spot for them. But they aren't staples, and mostly we eat real food here.

Lastly, why the hell would you ever create a greasy, slimey, mushy french fry, mass like that dish? Fries should be crispy, not congealing in grease eww. Texturely I am horrified, before I can even get to the fact it pretty muchwould have to taste like greasy salt.

See this thread makes me feel dumb because I think I pretty much eat like fundies...or worse? :-p

My Man hates casseroles, so we eat seperate stuff, but literally a week here is like

Hamburgers and Mac and Cheese (He drinks soda, milk, or sweet tea. I drink water, milk, or mostly unsweet tea)

Steak and Rice

Chicken Breast and Pasta

Fried Rice with chicken

I am so boring, we hate most veggies, I hate most spices... I have been eating a lot more salads (Spinach, carrot, cucumber, celery, Romaine, and chicken breast with some ranch dressing)

Tonight I am attempting a pork roast, but I am cooking it at 250 all day so it will be crock pot like?

I admit I love my Lutheran casseroles, but I do use dried green beans from the garden or home grown frozen French filets and buy some hippy healthy cream of mushroom. On the first cold days of autumn I love it with some roast chicken.

This whole food thing is a balance. The fundies don't treat themselves with these yucky masses of salt and fat. These horrid dishes are a major portion of their diets and that's where it all falls down. The fact that Cindy Jeub could not drain the fat off her tube meat just speaks volumes.

I love Mormon cheezey potatoes, don't know if they are funeral potatoes. My Mormon friends make theirs from real shredded spuds and real cheddar cheese. Depending on which family member makes them they can also have roasted garlic or hot green chillies.

Most of these recipes make me ill; that french fry hot dish is one of the most disgusting things I have ever seen, but funeral potatoes are freaking delicious. My mom used to make them for holiday dinners and I love them.

Most of these recipes make me ill; that french fry hot dish is one of the most disgusting things I have ever seen, but funeral potatoes are freaking delicious. My mom used to make them for holiday dinners and I love them.

My mormon pals don't use sucky canned soup, and their version is a bit dryer and crusty. Gosh I think I'm gonna invite myself over to the Mormons for Thanksgiving this year, I took a pass last year, but this gang gardens and cooks from scratch. One of the daughters makes a crustless quiche with fresh broccoli and swiss cheese that is to die for.

My mom didn't used canned soup in hers either, but lots of sour cream and cheddar cheese and butter. Those potatoes were the best thing about Easter when I was a kid.

These fundie women ought to learn a few things from Lucinda Scala Quinn. She cooks from scratch for her family almost every night and she's got lots of time saving tips. She keeps her pantry and freezer well-stocked so she can always make a delicious, nutritious meal. I love her! She's never pass muster with the fundies though. She only has three children and she likes to drink a thimbleful of whiskey every day.

Is the ring bologna the bologna that hasn't been cut yet and so still has the red plastic casing on it? My dachshund I had as a kid used to love to eat the wrappers off sliced bologna. They did not quite pass through. :angry-cussing:

I'd look at the ingredients on those yogurts. Probably still rubbish, except that they include some dairy and cultures. Kids' yogurt is known for being full of sugar/corn syurp and artificial flavorings. (except one baby brand that I can think of)

And Campbell's soups are a comfort food for me, but that's because we had a family friend who worked for the company and would bring home too much from the company store "because it was such a good deal!" and we'd end up with lots of soup. I loved it when it was spaghetti-os, and I still buy those or Bernie-O's for myself on occasion. But the key is that they are NOT the main part of my diet, just a sometimes treat.

Canned chicken is not like spam, it's generally old layer hens that would be too tough to sell as regular food, so they are used in soup and canned meat. I have also canned my own chicken and chicken broth with meat- it looks awful, but isn't nearly as salty as commercial stuff.

Probably true about the Yoghurts. I only buy Petit filous for convenience, normally just add puree fresh fruit to greek yoghurt.

BUT THIS ...truly...someone shoot me. I thought a Spam fritter was bad....SPAM will never be good, not even like this lol

e6dxO.jpg

This is ring bologna:

koegel_ring_bologna_web.jpg

My mom used to slice it into rings and fry it with onions. It's gross, unless you like bologna.

OMG Koegel's! I love Koegel viennas, especially when it's been cooked over a campfire. With a glass of Rock & Rye and some potato chips.

And BTW, they also make pickled ring bologna. Blech. Not my thing.

This is ring bologna:

My mom used to slice it into rings and fry it with onions. It's gross, unless you like bologna.

lololol@the package "Great served cold... delicious when served heated!" :lol: Just how bad IS that stuff when served cold if the warm is "delicious"?

My mother in law does something like this. Except it's pink. So they call it pink puke. I haven't ever tried it. Because, ew.

Oh God, my mother does something similar, expect it's only brought out for Thanksgiving, and only because it's 'tradition'. Apparently my great-grandmother made it, my grandmother makes it, and therefore my mother makes it. I know in the next couple of years I'll be making it for my child/children and begging them to 'just try one bite for tradition'! Anyway our disgusting traditional Thanksgiving dish consists of lime jello with a can of Veg-All dumped in it. Allow it to set, place it on a bed of lettuce and you have a salty lime flavored veg dish.

Here's a link to what Veg-All is:

http://www.vegall.com/

This is ring bologna:

Ah, so that's what it is! In the South you used to see uncut bologna at country stores.

Homemade stock and flour takes more time! To make homemade stock would mean you'd have to have cooked actual meat (like whole chickens or beef) and to make it for 21 people or more would mean at least 5 chickens and a lot more effort.

They eat the food they serve at Summer camps because (drum roll, please) it's EASIER! To cook decent meals for 21 people means that at any given time, food prep, cooking, and clean-up would be on-going. There would never be a break. Of course, with J'slaves, you could rotate them in shifts through Breakfast, lunch, and dinner and have some chopping fresh veggies while others prepare decent meat.... but then who would school the kids or do the laundry?

Briefly de-lurking because this is about food.

I'm pretty sure that I can prep an entire dinner of real food, including chicken soup made from scratch, in less time than it takes to cook chicken-etti.

Here's the link to my crock-pot chicken stock, which only takes a few minutes to throw together:

https://sites.google.com/site/weeklyfam ... icken-soup

Roast chicken and potatoes is also idiot-proof, and can be done in around 5 minutes. You can even put the potatoes in the same dish as the chicken:

https://sites.google.com/site/weeklyfam ... ic-chicken

https://sites.google.com/site/weeklyfam ... d-potatoes

For the casserole feeling and economy without using fake food, just make stew:

https://sites.google.com/site/weeklyfam ... -beef-stew

Probably true about the Yoghurts. I only buy Petit filous for convenience, normally just add puree fresh fruit to greek yoghurt.

BUT THIS ...truly...someone shoot me. I thought a Spam fritter was bad....SPAM will never be good, not even like this lol

e6dxO.jpg

I'm not a spam eater- but that's something called Spam Musubi. It's a Hawaiian thing. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spam_musubi

My mother in law does something like this. Except it's pink. So they call it pink puke. I haven't ever tried it. Because, ew.

You are absolutely right! It looks like vomit! Don't ever try it! Just... don't.

Also, the college cafeteria made TTC once this past semester. It was so odd! We felt like we were eating pure salt with cheese...yet we all went back for more, while saying "I don't even like this stuff, so why am I eating it!?"

Thank you for posting this recipe ! This what I call real food, with nothing coming from a can or a bag of frozen something...

It doesn't need to be complicated, neither to spend hours in the kitchen...

Throwing together random ingredients from various cans and packets is not cooking for god sake !

And those people dare to put this so called "recipes" in "cookbooks" I don't know if i should laugh or cry :lol:

You're welcome. :-) I forgot to mention that I chill it for about an hour. It's so good when it's 100+F outside.

I don't understand why the fundies who own their own homes and have a garden or a piece of land don't grow their own vegetables. The kids are aldready used to doing a lot of work in the household so they might as well be asked to help grow vegetables and have fruit trees and different kind of berries. Since the girls are supposed to be "skilled hommakers", they could learn to freeze, dry and can the crop.

Sometimes the climate can be too harsh for gardening. My parents' garden actually costs more than buying the same amount of produce at the store. They lose quite a bit of produce to grasshoppers and the heat, plus their water bills are higher.

I found tinned Chilli, AND tinned Haggis. Alas no tinned Chicken.

Just about every food that was marketed for kids was rubbish except some Yoghurts and Smoothies Turkey Twizzler anybody? We have no Tatertots here I'm gutted :(

Look harder. I definitely found Tater-tots at ASDA (under some other brand name - labelled hash browns I think) when I lived in Eastbourne. And Jamie Oliver's show, with its horror-turkey-twizzlers had some pretty awful Brit processed food. My personal favourite was canned Spotted Dick.

:shock: I have to go figure out what to fix for supper, but thanks to having just read every single page of this thread, I'm not even remotely hungry now. :doh:

But honestly...wtf? I'm no cook--I'm not creative, I can't pull four unrelated things out of the pantry and have a gourmet meal on the table in ten minutes--but I can still make something healthful with a package of boneless chicken breasts, a couple of sweet potatoes, and a green frozen vegetable, in very little time. Don't these women ever read a Good Housekeeping or Family Circle magazine? These days they're full of healthy meal ideas. Oh, wait. Silly me. They'd have to pass the 'Find Your Perfect Swimsuit' and 'Blue Jeans For Every Body Type' articles to get to the food pages. Can't have that, can we? Not to mention the dangers of leaving said magazines around for the kids to accidentally pick up. Nike! Never mind. :roll:

Archived