IGNORED

Fundie Recipes

makepeace

Look harder. I definitely found Tater-tots at ASDA (under some other brand name - labelled hash browns I think) when I lived in Eastbourne. And Jamie Oliver's show, with its horror-turkey-twizzlers had some pretty awful Brit processed food. My personal favourite was canned Spotted Dick.

Even after living in the UK for close to seven years my husband and I still chuckle every time we see 'breakfast in a can'

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/ ... =256038932

Our other favorite is the canned 'hot dogs in brine'

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/ ... =254862137

However I have to say that the UK has some of the best desserts ever! And I looooove British candy :)

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even after living in the UK for close to seven years my husband and I still chuckle every time we see 'breakfast in a can'

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/ ... =256038932

Our other favorite is the canned 'hot dogs in brine'

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/ ... =254862137

However I have to say that the UK has some of the best desserts ever! And I looooove British candy :)

OH WOW Haha...I really will look harder. I suppose my radar just avoids. That breakfast...that is a SIN!!!

OH WOW Haha...I really will look harder. I suppose my radar just avoids. That breakfast...that is a SIN!!!

My arteries just screamed, seeing that. Having said that, I could swear, I saw tinned chicken in my local Sainsbury's. I'll go and check, but I fear, we have't been spared. :violin:

To me they aren't "fundy recipes" as much as "southern recipes"? I grew up on casseroles...almost every night literally a week would look like

Tuna Casserole (Cream of soup, Canned Tuna, Egg Noodles, Cheese, some sort of frozen veggie)

Rice Casserole (Brown Rice, Ground meat, canned Veggie soup, Cheese)

"Pasta Casserole" (Ground Meat, Pasta, Spaghetti sauce, Cheese)

Chicken Casserole (Ground Meat, Noodles, Cream of Soup, Cheese, some sort of frozen veggie)

Kraft Macaroni and cheese mixed with tuna and frozen veggies

Spaghetti, but it was already all mixed together

Sometimes we would have chicken legs or thighs with mac and cheese or rice a roni and frozen veggies

Sounds like my friend who is from the south. I was visiting her for a few days and she coooked two meals with lots of canned soup/canned vegetable/cream cheese casseroles

My arteries just screamed, seeing that. Having said that, I could swear, I saw tinned chicken in my local Sainsbury's. I'll go and check, but I fear, we have't been spared. :violin:

Fray Bentos?

Anyway our disgusting traditional Thanksgiving dish consists of lime jello with a can of Veg-All dumped in it. Allow it to set, place it on a bed of lettuce and you have a salty lime flavored veg dish.

Here's a link to what Veg-All is:

http://www.vegall.com/

Oh, that brings back memories! When I was young and broke and couldn't really cook, I'd stir a can of Veg-All into my ramen noodles and delude myself that I was eating healthy on a budget. Those were the days, living on 10 for a dollar ramen and 3 for a dollar frozen burritos.

Okay, if I ever see that breakfast in a can, Imma buy it. That's a challenge. Baked beans, mushrooms, and bacon and egg bites. Wtf is a bacon and egg bite?

Sooo, hmmm do I admit this? I make a similar dish to Anna's. We call it Chicken Spaghetti. It is more similar to the pioneer woman's recipe that was posted and it is delicious. Anna's looked SO nasty in that video. Mine honestly looks so good!!

And, being from the South, well, Rotel is pretty much a required food at gatherings. It's Rotel tomatoes mixed with melted Velveeta. You dip tortilla chips in it. OH my gosh it's good. Granted, we only have it once or twice a year, but it's really yummy.

I had never heard of funeral potatoes. That's so funny. ALL of the jello recipes listed here make me sick. Ugh. I cringe when I see anything mixed w/ jello. Just...no.

dare I mention aspic? Just saw one of the competition dinner party shows where someone was going all fifties housewife and made some kind of aspic mould. Most of the guests had to try hard not to spit it out (immediately).

I do make chicken spaghetti also, but it involves no creamed soup - just subbing lean ground chicken for beef in a regular recipe.

2510609479_dd79f8ca24_z.jpg?zz=1

I loved Velveeta when I was a kid. My mother thought it was gross and wouldn't buy it. I had to get my Velveeta fix at a neighbor's house. Seriously, I was the weird little kid who would go over to this neighbor's house and ask her for a Velveeta sandwich.

We had quite a number of casseroles when I was a kid. Also, items like shepherd's pie (potatoes, cooked burger and a whole mess of mixed vegetables in a casserole dish) and Frito pie (Fritos, cooked hamburger, taco seasoning, tomato paste). Mom also cooked something I like even to this day, which was pinto beans and ham hocks simmered for hours on the stove. Usually served with homemade mac and cheese and a salad.

Wait, what's so gross about a pasta casserole? That's a winter staple in my house- penne, homemade meat sauce, ricotta, and mozzarella, all baked together. Delicious, fast, and made with lots of vegetables (tomatoes, garlic, onions peppers,, sometimes carrots) and spicy Italian sausage. Great for leftovers too.

Also, as someone who was raised Lutheran and is now Mormon, I have to say I LOVE me some hot dish. but pretty much only eat it at church functions (though I do think it's hilarious that I converted from one hot dish loving religion to another).

Also, some fundie recipes from my family...

- Creamed chipped beef on toast. A cheap way to feed your 7 kids. My grandma, bless her heart, told my mother it was my father's favorite dish when they were first married. My mother believed her, made it for my dad, and he told her to never, ever make it again.

- "My last name" Salad. A fruity jello concoction with macaroni noodles that my grandma makes. In her grief following my dad's death she accidentally put shrimp in it and then tried to cover the taste with cinnamon. We all politely ate our portions and told her it was delicious so as not to further upset her.

- Cauliflower in cheese sauce. I eat this to be polite, but why would you ruin delicious, fresh cauliflower with Velveeta?

Other than that my family makes amazing, AMAZING food. And my grandparents weren't yet fundies during the chipped beef fiasco, but they did have a bunch of kids to feed while trying to run the family farm. It was later in life that the fundiedom got them.

From Mirele:

Mom also cooked something I like even to this day, which was pinto beans and ham hocks simmered for hours on the stove. Usually served with homemade mac and cheese and a salad.

That does sound yummy.

Those of us "of a certain age" grew up with not-so-healthy food because that was the thing those days - to make things easier for the housewife or working woman. I didn't know there way any other kind of lettuce than iceburg - and when I first saw fresh broccoli (I was 14 years old!), I asked my mom to buy it and she said, "I don't know how to cook it."

(The 60's and 70's homemaker was lazy, IMO) but I digress...

If these women and men were less concerned with making babies than they are about nourishing children in spirit and body, it would be a very good thing, indeed.

I don't understand why so many fundies eat such crap when they have mothers and daughters at home all day who could easily cook really delicious stuff the rest of us try and make with a quarter of the time. They think women should be barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen, homemaking and being helpmeets, don't they have higher expectations of food? Or are they just really that ignorant and unedcated about health?

I think the latter combined with the fact that they focus on what is quick, cheap, and doesn't require much work.

Ok I admit i love SOS, but where the heck does one find real dried beef? The Hormel stuff now a days is mechanically recovered 'meat' pressed and formed. Do I need to go out and buy and eye round, pull out the meat slicer and go through hell to make this dish? The last time I had an urge I bought a jar of Hormel and saw how it was made and wound up throwing it in the trash.

All of this stuff isn't necessarily fundie, but tied to the processed food revolution/recipes of the 50s to 70s. The fundies hang onto it because it's easy to translate to batch cooking (perceived as easier for larger families). The idiots who are using ketchup as pasta/pizza sauce and white bread in place of pizza crust or "good" bread are just, well, idiots.

My sister once made something that the fundies would love. It was a casserole made with StoveTop stuffing, frozen spinach, cream of mushroom soup and cheese.

I really hate to say this but it was tasty although too salty.

Wait, what's so gross about a pasta casserole? That's a winter staple in my house- penne, homemade meat sauce, ricotta, and mozzarella, all baked together. Delicious, fast, and made with lots of vegetables (tomatoes, garlic, onions peppers,, sometimes carrots) and spicy Italian sausage. Great for leftovers too.

Also, as someone who was raised Lutheran and is now Mormon, I have to say I LOVE me some hot dish. but pretty much only eat it at church functions (though I do think it's hilarious that I converted from one hot dish loving religion to another).

I've got a baked ziti recipe with lots of marinara sauce, mashed up tofu, nutritional yeast, herbs and Daiya "mozzarella" Yep, it's completely vegan and completely delicious. The mashed tofu substitutes for the ricotta.

It kinda follow that their recipes would suck, because their "homekeeping" across the board sucks. Their decorating's abysmal----college frat houses have nicer furniture and more color on their walls. This isn't even an issue of their taste isn't my taste, their homes look like crap. For women who lecture so much about cleaning, their houses almost always look filthy. Martha Stewart most assuredly does not dwell within.

Maybe it's all a secret they have going---they just insist they're these devoted homemakers, but it really stops at the freaky homesteading binders they make.

I just threw some custard in the oven. It's so simple (eggs, milk, sugar and vanilla extract), yet it's probably not something that they'd ever make.

I just threw some custard in the oven. It's so simple (eggs, milk, sugar and vanilla extract), yet it's probably not something that they'd ever make.

Seriously or a good bread pudding made from some home made cinnamon bread.

redcurls wrote:

Mom insists on making this vile orange dessert for every. single. occasion. Christmas? Baby Shower? Cookout? You need Orange Dessert! She will rant for 10 minutes on how delicious it is, punctuated with "So-and-So likes it, don't you?" She always gets a "Yeah...it's...good..." response and still hasn't caught on because no one will admit to her that Orange Dessert is garbage. I'm the only one who will straight-up say that it is nasty. I know she puts orange Jello, Cool Whip, and canned mandarin oranges in it, but not sure what else. It seems like perfect fundy food. Nasty, quick, and easy.

Cottage Cheese! You forgot the cottage cheese. My MIL makes it. I love mandarin oranges, but this stuff really is baaaad! Especially since my (fundy) MIL is really cheap, and barely puts any oranges in it. She also uses the cheapest off brands that she can find, and never throws anything away. I don't know how she avoids food poisoning.

I've got a baked ziti recipe with lots of marinara sauce, mashed up tofu, nutritional yeast, herbs and Daiya "mozzarella" Yep, it's completely vegan and completely delicious. The mashed tofu substitutes for the ricotta.

Would you, pretty pretty please with a cherry on top, share the recipe? :mrgreen: I am especially intrigued by the tofu subbing for ricotta, due to dairy issues. Do you use silken or medium firm tofu? So far I've only had the the fake shredded cheese that comes from the green package. I forget the name, but I do remember it wasn't anything to write home about. So far my fave creamy pasta casserole dish go to has been pasta, veg and some tofutti mixed in at the last minute. Soooo creamy! :drool:

Also, some fundie recipes from my family...

- Creamed chipped beef on toast. A cheap way to feed your 7 kids. My grandma, bless her heart, told my mother it was my father's favorite dish when they were first married. My mother believed her, made it for my dad, and he told her to never, ever make it again.

My dad LOVES creamed chipped beef on toast. He was a cook in the Army, a darn good cook, so good that his commanding officer would not let him transfer into electronics but insisted he stay as a cook. He taught my mom how to make "sh*t on a shingle" and it was good. It was about the only thing made with gravy that I'd eat when I was a kid.

- Cauliflower in cheese sauce. I eat this to be polite, but why would you ruin delicious, fresh cauliflower with Velveeta?

My mom ate her cauliflower with a succession of salad dressings. She also likes eating artichokes. One of my childhood memories is my very dainty mother, dressed in a blouse and capri pants, sitting out on the patio, smoking cigarettes, drinking Coke in those tiny 6 oz. bottles and pulling one "leaf" after another from an artichoke, dipping it in real mayonnaise, not "Miracle Whip," and then just eating the most bottom portion. We weren't allowed the adult food (artichokes), the adult drink (Coke) and the adult smokes. That was hers.

Ok I admit i love SOS, but where the heck does one find real dried beef? The Hormel stuff now a days is mechanically recovered 'meat' pressed and formed. Do I need to go out and buy and eye round, pull out the meat slicer and go through hell to make this dish? The last time I had an urge I bought a jar of Hormel and saw how it was made and wound up throwing it in the trash.

Would beef jerky work? I've never had SOS so I have no idea.

My dad LOVES creamed chipped beef on toast. He was a cook in the Army, a darn good cook, so good that his commanding officer would not let him transfer into electronics but insisted he stay as a cook. He taught my mom how to make "sh*t on a shingle" and it was good. It was about the only thing made with gravy that I'd eat when I was a kid.

My mom ate her cauliflower with a succession of salad dressings. She also likes eating artichokes. One of my childhood memories is my very dainty mother, dressed in a blouse and capri pants, sitting out on the patio, smoking cigarettes, drinking Coke in those tiny 6 oz. bottles and pulling one "leaf" after another from an artichoke, dipping it in real mayonnaise, not "Miracle Whip," and then just eating the most bottom portion. We weren't allowed the adult food (artichokes), the adult drink (Coke) and the adult smokes. That was hers.

Creamed forest chanterelles on toast, with our without a slice of sharp cheese on top, is like a national dish here. And a cheap way to feed people, if you go out to pick the chanterelles yourself. I love it.

Archived