IGNORED

Fundie Recipes

makepeace

Plus how bland must this be. Only one onion for all that liquid. I don't think 18 tablespoons of Mexican flavored chicken broth would add much flavor.

Are you from the US? In general when it's refered to chicken bullion here, it is a very salty concentrated soup base. Often artificially flavored. Usually it comes in cubes unless you're buying it in bulk. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bouillon_cube

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Around here you have to show your license and tag. Half the tag stays on the deer or elk and the other half goes back to the state.

Which is why I suspect some people when they don't take them to a butcher.

If it hasn't been mentioned/commented on earlier in the thread - the "cream o'crap"/frozen veggie/tinned meat casseroles aren't just southern cooking but common to both Canada and the US thanks to the marketing folks at Campbell's back in the day. Another gross concoction that I remember well from potlucks/church dinners was the ever-present jello/veggie mold, which I thought had died out, but no

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1643,14 ... 98,00.html

1 pkg. lemon Jello

1/2 tsp. salt

1 1/2 c. boiling water

1 sm. can crushed pineapple

1 c. diced celery

1 c. shredded carrots

1/3 c. walnuts

Mix first three ingredients until Jello melts. Put into refrigerator until slightly thickened. After Jello has slightly thickened, put in rest of ingredients. Mix together. Pour into mold. Refrigerate until solid.

oh, and Ambrosia lives on (whipped cream product, preferably the fake stuff from a tub, canned fruit salad, shredded coconut, and mini marshmallows) - but I must admit I like it, along with some of the creamed soup casseroles.

Are you from the US? In general when it's refered to chicken bullion here, it is a very salty concentrated soup base. Often artificially flavored. Usually it comes in cubes unless you're buying it in bulk. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bouillon_cube

I thought they were referring to something like this. I have seen Mexican flavored broth in my local stores. Not sure of the brand though.

http://www.swansonbroth.com/ourproducts.aspx

Because you need to KEEP SWEET AT ALL TIMES. Seriously folks, green jello with carrots floating in it. Cookies galore at "Linger Longers" (after-church pot-luck). Sugar sugar sugar. Oh, but they don't drink coffee so they're keeping the word of wisdom! :P

The mention of Mormons and gelatin dishes made me remember a recipe I saw on the exmormon board a couple of weeks ago:

Lemon Shrimp Jello

1 pkg lemon jello

1 1/2 c water

2 T vinegar

1/2 t salt

Mix together and let thicken. Then mix in

1 can of shrimp

3/4 cup finely chopped celery

1/2 cup Miracle Whip

2 T pimiento

1 t onion juice

Serves 6

(http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,5 ... msg-550933)

OMG.. shrimp and jello? That's seriously fucked up.

What's in the "funeral potatos" that ya'll keep talking about?

I'm not a food snob like a lot of people here. I live in Philly and Cheez Whiz is one of only two acceptable cheeses for cheesesteak around here. But the Bates's poor man's steak and potatoes is just nauseating. I've eaten plenty of disgusting stuff, but that recipe crosses a line.

I also don't understand the point of tater tot casserole. I ate tons of casseroles growing up. They all had vegetables in them in some form. Why can't the Duggars just add a bag of frozen peas or carrots to that mess? I don't understand fundies' aversion to using frozen vegetables. Even as an adult I don't really like eating straight vegetables. So I just put them in other things! I won't eat a pile of cooked carrots, but if there are carrots in my soup, I can't get enough of them. Isn't that sort of the point of a casserole anyway, to have a place to hide the vegetables?

Aww Bananacat you live near me (-:

Aww Bananacat you live near me (-:

Me, too - Philly suburbs. You gotta have Cheez Whiz on a cheese steak. I have to admit I like ambrosia salad, too; no church pot luck is complete without it.

And what about scrapple? I like it, but I grew up on it.

I like scrapple but I've learned to make my own and always make one loaf in the autumn. Mine does not contain noses, ears etc, its made from pork shoulder.

Thanks WokChop! I love love love properly made diner hashbrowns, but all that cream of crap soup just makes me want to hurl. I'd rather have potatoes o'gratin made from scratch.

I like scrapple but I've learned to make my own and always make one loaf in the autumn. Mine does not contain noses, ears etc, its made from pork shoulder.

Sounds good, I'm too lazy to make my own, but my husband likes to cook so I bet he'd like to try and make some.

Sounds good, I'm too lazy to make my own, but my husband likes to cook so I bet he'd like to try and make some.

Its not hard at all, I got my recipe online and it specified pork shoulder. The trick is the seasonings.

Thanks WokChop! I love love love properly made diner hashbrowns, but all that cream of crap soup just makes me want to hurl. I'd rather have potatoes o'gratin made from scratch.

You're welcome! When I was a Mormon, I lived far outside of Utah and never got to experience funeral potatoes. One lady in my ward made something a bit similar (diced potatoes, a cheesy-looking sauce, but no Corn Flakes). Our funerals seemed to consist of 15 varieties of watery baked beans, 12 varieties of casseroles containing mushy, overcooked broccoli and a few assorted desserts. As for drinks, they only served tap water...which was from a well and smelled sulphurous. I was always so embarrassed to serve smelly, discolored tap water to grieving, non-member family members. :oops:

This? http://www.recipetips.com/recipe-cards/ ... -punch.asp

Ingredients

1 can frozen lemonade concentrate (6 ounce can)

1 can frozen orange juice concentrate (6 oz. can)

1 cup Sugar

10 cups water

1 teaspoon vanilla

1 teaspoon almond extract

1/2 bottle Sprite (2 liter bottle)

Directions

Mix frozen juices and sugar together. Add vanilla and almond extracts. Add water. Stir well. Add Sprite just before serving. Serve chilled.

My Q is why add sugar to all of that stuff that already has sugar?

Gross.

I thought you might be talking about the wedding reception beverage of the 80s and early 90s, the Sprite with assorted sherbet melted in.

ah, so "funeral potatoes" are what we could call "hash brown casserole".

No, no, no.

The best funeral potatoes are the way I make them. You have to use real potatoes. Diced. Not frozen. With plenty of sour cream and cheese. And preferably ham in the same meal. Yum.

Really how hard is it for Wendy to soak two lbs of white beans over night, add a pound or two of carrots, and onions with some FRESH garlic and throw it into an electric turkey roaster all day? An hour before serving add 8 boxes of frozen chopped spinach? Or some diced squash?

Seriously, she'd feed the brood for a couple of bucks and it would be a reasonably nutritious meal. Throw in a ham bone if you want meat! She could do something similar and make a huge batch of chili with that venison. I don't make chili with beans anymore but homemade chili is a go-to crockpot meal for me during the cooler months of the year.

I once ordered a box from the now-defunct (and apparently hideously corrupt) Angel Food Ministries and it had tube meat. It must have been last spring or summer, and a coworker who attends the fundie Pentacostal church convinced me to try it. Picking up the box was an experience in and of itself, but unpacking the box was pure comedy gold. Aside from the bread, eggs, and the frozen vegetables, we were kind of horrified at all of the other contents of the box. Of course there was the tube meat which I suspect was predominantly pink slime-based. There was also shit like an off-brand frozen lasagna, frozen meatballs of undetermined animal origin(s), a tube of ground turkey with tons of fillers, a mountain of artificially maple-flavored breakfast sausages, and the like. We donated the canned and boxed goods to the local food bank, used the frozen veggies and eggs, and the frozen crap stayed in the bottom of the deep freeze until a freak fall snowstorm hit and we lost power for over a week. We disposed of it all and made an insurance claim for it. :lol:

Re: funeral potatoes - we call them cheesy potatoes and my mother makes them every year for Christmas dinner. She uses the low sodium soups and it's not greasy, just cloyingly rich. Definitely a once-a-year recipe.

All of this makes me wish I hadn't thrown out my charity/community group recipe books - they were a gold mine of this stuff, especially for batch cooking for church dinners/funerals etc.

Someone should throw together a book of alternate recipes called something like "Same Taste, More Nutrition (and less sodium and MSG)"

AH OF course Kraft techno-orange slices? So THAT is Velveeta? Rubber cheese we call it.

In my family we call processed cheese slices dog cheese Why dog cheese? We used to have a German Shepherd Dog who sometimes got out of the fence. We'd use processed cheese slices to tease him back inside.

I'm not a food snob like a lot of people here. I live in Philly and Cheez Whiz is one of only two acceptable cheeses for cheesesteak around here.

Dumb question: I've heard that about Cheez Whiz and cheesesteaks, but what's the other option? Provolone?

I know mormon punch and funeral potatoes vary from family to family but the ones my ex-mormon friend made was just awful. If I remember correctly, she added 2 cans of cream of chicken soup, half a can of cream of mushroom soup, sliced potatoes, loads of cheese, salt (yes, salt) and pepper. She said once in a while, if her mom felt like it, she would sprinkle in some garlic powder but that's pretty much it. Just a couple bites filled me up since it was so heavy.

The mormon punch she made was just loaded with sugar because it called for different juices, ginger ale (instead of club soda) and vanilla extract. It was just an overload of sweetness. They always had this punch out for special occasions from receptions, graduations, engagements, and birthdays. Apparently, her family would drink this stuff like an alcoholic would run to an open bar and drink like a fish.

More fundie recipe disaster--

Jim Bob Duggar's BBQ Tuna sandwich:

-Can of tuna

-Bottle of BBQ sauce

-Bread

Combine the first two ingredients together and smear on top of bread. Voila, bbq tuna sandwich.

Archived