IGNORED

Fundie Recipes

makepeace

Creamed forest chanterelles on toast, with our without a slice of sharp cheese on top, is like a national dish here. And a cheap way to feed people, if you go out to pick the chanterelles yourself. I love it.

I love chanterelles, but you really have to pick them by yourself they are awfully expensive here, or often come from eastern Europe and I don't trust their safety...

Where do you live ?

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love chanterelles, but you really have to pick them by yourself they are awfully expensive here, or often come from eastern Europe and I don't trust their safety...

Where do you live ?

I live in Sweden and the forests are usually brimming with chanterelles so it's just to go out and get them. They are also sold everywhere during the chanterelle season and are not too expensive. I have purchased fresh chanterelles from Estonia, Lattvia and Lithuania and they have been fine.

In what whay do you think they can be "unsafe"?

Fundie Future Cakes, or a recipe for disaster

Ingredients:

Two under educated 20 year old virgins and isolate them like calves being made into veal.*

One must be male, one must be female.

One KJV Bibgle

*Do not allow them to touch, this will spoil the recipe.

Blend well after martial marination. Bake baby batter for 9 months. Repeat every 16 months for the next 20 years, or until the uterus gives out, or the woman runs for her life.

I've got a baked ziti recipe with lots of marinara sauce, mashed up tofu, nutritional yeast, herbs and Daiya "mozzarella" Yep, it's completely vegan and completely delicious. The mashed tofu substitutes for the ricotta.

Oh my gosh that sounds amazing...we can't get Daiya down here so I make my own cashew cheese. My fundieish family does not enjoy it sadly :(

I live in Sweden and the forests are usually brimming with chanterelles so it's just to go out and get them. They are also sold everywhere during the chanterelle season and are not too expensive. I have purchased fresh chanterelles from Estonia, Lattvia and Lithuania and they have been fine.

I don't use chanterelles but I have friends that do. I always go out to the forests of Boregonia in the fall to pick some for friends. I also have friends who have truffles on their property so I'm never at a loss for some truffles.

It is just me, but I find casseroles a big PITA to make? To me it's easier to season and cook the chicken in it's original form rather than cutting or shredding it up, steam some veggis and open a bag of salad or serve with some kind of side dish.

So my cousins MIL is officially craycray and likes to make casseroles for events. The problem is she finds interesting substitutions for ingredients she forgets to buy.

Two noteables....

Shrimp salad-Forgets to buy shrimp and substitutes with cheeto's (because they're orange).

Random casserole-Is out of milk and substitutes vanilla non-dairy creamer (coffee-mate).

It is just me, but I find casseroles a big PITA to make? To me it's easier to season and cook the chicken in it's original form rather than cutting or shredding it up, steam some veggis and open a bag of salad or serve with some kind of side dish.

So my cousins MIL is officially craycray and likes to make casseroles for events. The problem is she finds interesting substitutions for ingredients she forgets to buy.

Two noteables....

Shrimp salad-Forgets to buy shrimp and substitutes with cheeto's (because they're orange).

Random casserole-Is out of milk and substitutes vanilla non-dairy creamer (coffee-mate).

Now that I'm living alone I have some difficult down sizing my casserole recipes. But I love them in the winter and don't mind left overs. What I do prefer are one pot meals made in my le creuset dutch oven.

All of this stuff isn't necessarily fundie, but tied to the processed food revolution/recipes of the 50s to 70s. The fundies hang onto it because it's easy to translate to batch cooking (perceived as easier for larger families). The idiots who are using ketchup as pasta/pizza sauce and white bread in place of pizza crust or "good" bread are just, well, idiots.

I have to reluctantly agree.

I had a couple of variations of tuna casserole when I was growing up - one with Kraft Dinner, the other with rice and potato chips. My husband, who had immigrant parents and didn't eat "Canadian" food, was horrified and nearly puked the first (and last) time I made it. My atheist Jewish mom is definitely not fundie, but she did raise me in the 1970s. I do remember some sort of jello/Cool Whip/canned fruit concoction as well. We also had the horror of Chemical Soup - chicken soup that has never seen a chicken. It's bright yellow and filled with sodium, MSG and partially hydrogenated oil. As a kid, I always wondered why mom's chicken soup never made me feel better. I think my "I'll made chicken soup from scratch each week even though I work, dammit" approach is some sort of backlash against that soup.

Maybe this is why some fundie bloggers have gone to the other extreme, claiming that everything needs to be organic.

Also, ethnic fundies eat well. I actually laughed at Rosie DiManno's column in the Star today, in part because I hadn't heard the term mangiacake since I stopped working at my old Italian firm. http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article ... population.

Two noteables....

OMG, I am laughing so hard I almost peed my pants. That is SO something my grandmother would do... I can't remember exactly what it was, but she made us a meal once and everyone was like "what the heck meemo?" and it turned out she had done something like that...

Oh it's an old story, I don't think it's still accurate, but back in the 80's after Tchernobyl we were told not to eat mushrooms as they were toxics, especially the one coming from eastern Europe. I was a teen in the 80's, but can't help thinking of that when I see chanterelles from Poland in the supermarkets, and the ones from France are way too expensive :?

Would you, pretty pretty please with a cherry on top, share the recipe? :mrgreen: I am especially intrigued by the tofu subbing for ricotta, due to dairy issues. Do you use silken or medium firm tofu? So far I've only had the the fake shredded cheese that comes from the green package. I forget the name, but I do remember it wasn't anything to write home about. So far my fave creamy pasta casserole dish go to has been pasta, veg and some tofutti mixed in at the last minute. Soooo creamy! :drool:

Ok, Lala29 and Wandering, here's the recipe. I didn't create it, though. It's from Vegan on the Cheap by Robin Robertson (John Wiley and Sons, 2010). The recipe makes 4-6 servings.

12 ounces ziti

3 1/2 cups of marinara sauce

1 pound extra-firm tofu, drained and crumbled

3 tablespoons nutritional yeast

1/4 cup minced fresh parsley

1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil

3/4 teaspoon dried oregano

1 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Daiya vegan mozzarella, optional

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly oil a 3 1/2 quart casserole and set aside.

2 In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the ziti over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until al dente, about 10 minutes. Drain well and return to pot. Add 2 cups of marinara sauce and toss to coat.

3. In a large bowl, combine the tofu, parsley, basil, oregano, salt and pepper. Taste and adjust the seasonings, if necessary.

4 Spread a thin layer of marinara sauce in the bottom of the prepared casserole. Add half the pasta mixture and top with the tofu mixture. Top with the remaining pasta and spread the remaining marinara on top.

5 Cover tightly with foil and bake until hot, about 45 minutes. Serve hot.

If desired, you may top the casserole with the Daiya mozzarella and bake for an additional 10 minutes to allow the Daiya to melt. For convenience, use store bought marinara sauce.

I made this recipe for our vegan potluck recently. I splurged a bit and top with the cheese and changed up the seasonings a bit. The store did not have fresh parsley so used dried and added some fresh basil along with the dried. The pepper was freshly ground and I don't think I measured it.

Cottage Cheese! You forgot the cottage cheese. My MIL makes it. I love mandarin oranges, but this stuff really is baaaad! Especially since my (fundy) MIL is really cheap, and barely puts any oranges in it. She also uses the cheapest off brands that she can find, and never throws anything away. I don't know how she avoids food poisoning.

Cottage Cheese? :shock: You poor, poor soul. Please, don't ever let anyone tell my mother about that potential addition because she WILL try it.

Oh it's an old story, I don't think it's still accurate, but back in the 80's after Tchernobyl we were told not to eat mushrooms as they were toxics, especially the one coming from eastern Europe. I was a teen in the 80's, but can't help thinking of that when I see chanterelles from Poland in the supermarkets, and the ones from France are way too expensive :?

It was the same here - we were warned against eating chanterelles for a few years after the accident. But it has been safe for 20+ years, plus I think importers test the shipments regularly, so I consider it safe.

There are dried chanterelles that you can but, usually a lot cheaper than fresh ones. They are great for using in risotto or a creamy soup.

experiencedd - you lucky girl! Truffles are so delicious... and costs 25 times more than chanterelles. Do you live in Oregon? I read Alicia Paulson's blog and it looks so beautiful there.... like the magic forest.

I know she puts orange Jello, Cool Whip, and canned mandarin oranges in it, but not sure what else. It seems like perfect fundy food. Nasty, quick, and easy.

Cottage Cheese! You forgot the cottage cheese. My MIL makes it. I love mandarin oranges, but this stuff really is baaaad! Especially since my (fundy) MIL is really cheap, and barely puts any oranges in it. She also uses the cheapest off brands that she can find, and never throws anything away. I don't know how she avoids food poisoning.

My grandma used to make this but substitute green jello and pears and yes she always added cottage cheese. It's one of the reasons I cannot eat Jello without gagging.

I never knew how gourmet I actually make chicken and rice casserole. yep, the one from campbells. I saute onions, garlic and fresh mushrooms first. Then I brown the chicken breasts a bit. I use homemade chicken broth and a bit of white wine instead of just water. Instead of white rice I use an organic rice blend of several different kinds of rices. I serve it with a romaine salad and usually sort sort of fresh steamed veggie. I suppose I can get all fanceh like because I'm not feeding half my town.

Hi - longtime lurker, first time poster.

I was just wondering if anyone has ever tried funeral sandwiches. They are ham and cheese sandwiches made with those King's Hawaiian rolls that are kind of sweet. You then soak them in a glaze made of mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and brown sugar until they're good and soggy, then you bake them. I read about them on some other site, and people were raving about them. All I could think was yucccchhh.... Funeral potatoes sound pretty good though.

My mom used to make a "salad" for holidays with lime jello, canned pineapple, and cottage cheese. I'm not sure why - I don't think anyone actually liked it much. She also tried making aspic once.

Once.

eta: http://gillwhatsfordinner.blogspot.com/2011/08/funeral-sandwiches.html

Dumb question: I've heard that about Cheez Whiz and cheesesteaks, but what's the other option? Provolone?

Cheez Whiz is preferable, but mozzarella is also acceptable, especially if you add marinara sauce and make it a pizza steak.

Once saw a TV show that mentioned 'Cheese Whizz.' My kid was like 'MUM, MUM in America cheese comes in a tin. I had to tell her they eat exactly the same cheese as we do, she nodded sagely and said ..'Yes can't see the Barefoot Contessa using that.' As you do.

OH yes, Cheez Whiz! I remember in graduate school going to a "wine and cheese" party put on by the dorm social committee, most people were international students and particularly the Europeans were bringing various fancy cheeses to the party purchased at the European import shop in town. A self-proclaimed "proud redneck" American friend of mine made a point of bringing Cheez Whiz (in the aerosol can!!!) and Ritz crackers. It was hilarious.

AH OF course Kraft techno-orange slices? So THAT is Velveeta? Rubber cheese we call it.

"Pasteurized Processed Cheese Food." Ask for it by name.

Hilarious thing about it by me (and I live next to a Kraft plant! Air smells... interesting sometimes) is that in the USA they call that type of cheese "American Cheese" but apparently in Canada the exact same stuff is called "Canadian Cheese."

(Of course Kraft packages various kinds of other normal cheeses, labelled actual "cheese" also, but...)

I don't even defrost chicken in the microwave anymore because I hate how rubbery and weird-tasting it makes it if you leave it in a little too long.

Werd. I'll defrost chicken that I need to cube up for other recipes in the m'wave, but the trick there is that it's easier to cube up if it's only HALF defrosted (these are "boneless skinless chicken thighs" in my case). The 'wave has a defrost setting where you enter in the weight, I find if I put half the actual weight, it works fine.

But yeah heaven forbid if the edges start actually cooking in there, it's nasty. Actual bone-in chicken I need to defrost for any reason, it can sit on the counter or in the fridge or some combo thereof with a human watching it and spending time to wait.

Separately from that I have various microwave cookbooks (from Japan) and the recipes in there work out nicely, but none of them are about just raw meat in the package.

These fundies need to learn about stir-fry. Quick, cheap, easy, starts with raw stuff. Speaking of which green beans stir-fried up in pork grease with garlic and hot peppers is AWESOME but you don't start with beans from a can. (Though I can't deny I like some American Southern traditional beans too, boiled with a ham hock).

Why can't the Duggars just add a bag of frozen peas or carrots to that mess? I don't understand fundies' aversion to using frozen vegetables. Even as an adult I don't really like eating straight vegetables. So I just put them in other things! I won't eat a pile of cooked carrots, but if there are carrots in my soup, I can't get enough of them. Isn't that sort of the point of a casserole anyway, to have a place to hide the vegetables?

Dunno, but I eat a lot of crock pot lunch (no shame here) and in various I-made-it-up "chicken met vegetable soup, and we eat it over rice" recipes (again, no shame here) I put frozen vegetables in it, either officially mixed or I'll mix it myself from a bunch of individual bags o'. I mean, I'll dice the onion, and chop up a bunch of mushrooms and celery, but when it comes to the corn/broccoli/cauliflower/greenbeans, yeah, I'll just go for the frozen. Nothing in it but raw vegetables anyway according to the ingredients list.

If it hasn't been mentioned/commented on earlier in the thread - the "cream o'crap"/frozen veggie/tinned meat casseroles aren't just southern cooking but common to both Canada and the US thanks to the marketing folks at Campbell's back in the day. Another gross concoction that I remember well from potlucks/church dinners was the ever-present jello/veggie mold, which I thought had died out, but no...

Oh my yes.

That same cafeteria I worked at where they served the polymer cheese, they always had various green jello with vegetables in it on top of lettuce. I remember this because I mentioned that as a kid my own relatives liked to make coffee gelatin (coffee jello, basically) and put honey on it, and to me that was normal but the other "lunch ladies" were utterly horrified, and I was thinking, wut? but you like sweet jello with VEGETABLES what is that :D

I've read many cookbooks about 1950s American aspic, much after the fact, but to me gelatinous foods are always sweet or else neutral/bitter. Savory aspic just seems weird to me. But the thing with the green veggie jello is that it was sweet LIME jello, how does that work with carrots? Orange slices or pineapple, sure!

Meanwhile in home-ec way back in the mists of time we learned to make almond jello (æä»è±†è…)and coconut and milk jello, all sweet, and all made from scratch with "kanten 寒天" or "agar agar" I think it's called. It's a seaweed extract, so vegetarian, which is handy now when I want to invite vegetarian people for dessert.

What is Mexican Chicken Boullion? Is there a particular brand?

I wonder if it's Knorr. It's originally from the UK (?) but most often in the US it's sold with Spanish labelling in the Mexican food section in US supermarkets. If you shop Asian markets the same stuff is sold with Chinese labelling. I use it, when I need bullion (either that or "telma" brand cubes from Israel).

I still remember hunting down the small liquor store in Kauai that sold Spam or hot dogs rolled up in sushi rice, served cold for my friends. No thanks. I love Hawaii, but too much rocessed meat love there.

Spam Musubi!!!

spamresu.jpg

(ignore the snark caption - normally this is used for saying some comment is spam.)

hese fundies need to learn about stir-fry. Quick, cheap, easy, starts with raw stuff. Speaking of which green beans stir-fried up in pork grease with garlic and hot peppers is AWESOME but you don't start with beans from a can. (Though I can't deny I like some American Southern traditional beans too, boiled with a ham hock).

No! Stir-fry is WEIRD and y'know, ETHNIC. Not to mention, how big a wok would they need?

Never mind that it's easy and yummy.

I think a lot of this is regional food culture rather than fundie per se. I grew up fundie in Oregon, with seven kids in the fam (small by Duggar standards), and we ate plenty of whole foods cooked from scratch. Sure, when money was tight it might have been lentils and rice and frozen green beans, but it was definitely real food for the most part. Although I suppose we were lucky that my dad made a good salary, and my siblings are all girls and none of them huge eaters, and my extended family on both sides are good cooks, but it's not like it's a Gothard requirement to eat nasty canned soup casseroles.

Quick question: what does 'funeral sandwich' and 'funeral potatoes' mean? I assumed funeral potatoes must be the traditional preparation for potatoes served at a wake, but, er, maybe not.

Hi - longtime lurker, first time poster.

I was just wondering if anyone has ever tried funeral sandwiches. They are ham and cheese sandwiches made with those King's Hawaiian rolls that are kind of sweet. You then soak them in a glaze made of mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and brown sugar until they're good and soggy, then you bake them. I read about them on some other site, and people were raving about them. All I could think was yucccchhh.... Funeral potatoes sound pretty good though.

My mom used to make a "salad" for holidays with lime jello, canned pineapple, and cottage cheese. I'm not sure why - I don't think anyone actually liked it much. She also tried making aspic once.

Once.

eta: http://gillwhatsfordinner.blogspot.com/2011/08/funeral-sandwiches.html

I've actually made the "funeral sandwiches", but they weren't called that. They tasted much better than I thought they would, but are not healthy in any way and aren't something I'd make more than once a year (if that).

Growing up, we weren't fundie, but my mother made this terrifying "salad" out of cool whip, orange jello, mandarin oranges and canned pineapple. I seem to remember cottage cheese in it as well. Even thinking about it makes me want to vomit.

Archived