IGNORED

Fundie Recipes

makepeace

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I used canned soups. Making stock sounds confusing and we never actually eat soup, just cook with it occasionally, so why bother with something that, frankly, freaks me out? I really don't get the hate for canned soups. I'm poor & busy and I hate cooking. I'd rather buy a case of mushroom & case of tomato & just grab a can or 2 when I need than try to deal with making soup. I'd made precisely one soup in my life, a couple months ago, & I bought beef broth for it. From what I understand I need bones to make stock & I very seldom have those.

Stock isn't confusing. You chuck all your veggie scraps into a pot with some water and boil it for a while. If you want a meat stock you save your bones from steak or chicken in a baggie in the freezer until you have sufficient and add them to the stockpot. The only thing easier than making stock is... actually, there's really nothing easier.

Canned soups are full of salt. I mean, really, full of salt. Even the "low salt" soups have 1/4 of your RDA of sodium per serving.

Stock isn't confusing. You chuck all your veggie scraps into a pot with some water and boil it for a while. If you want a meat stock you save your bones from steak or chicken in a baggie in the freezer until you have sufficient and add them to the stockpot. The only thing easier than making stock is... actually, there's really nothing easier.

Canned soups are full of salt. I mean, really, full of salt. Even the "low salt" soups have 1/4 of your RDA of sodium per serving.

I agree, I've got a freezer with an assortment of misc. baggies in it right now. Heck and with a crock pot one doesn't even need to put it on the stove. Today we also have good veggie and meat stocks available in the grocery. I tend to keep a couple of boxes of chicken and veggie stock (organic no salt) in my pantry. I'll buy these items when they are on sale.

In most cases one can make a substitute for a creamed soup by simply using a puree of good veggies to thicken it, or a roux.

I use a lot of fresh veggies and fruit, and do stock up when they are on sale. If, as a singleton, I cannot consume them before they decline there is always the freezer or smoothies. It is my preference to make a pot of vegetable soup and then freeze the finished product. The fruits make for good mixed cobblers in the winter.

I am not the only one who saves meat and veggie scraps in the freezer for stock? I seriously thought I was brilliant.

Just put a large ziploc in the freezer. Whenever you peel or cut pieces off veggies, stick them in. When the bag is full, put the contents in a crockpot and fill with water. Throw in a chicken carcass or leftover bones from dinner. Leave it in the crockpot all day, then strain and (wallah!!!) it's stock.

I agree, I've got a freezer with an assortment of misc. baggies in it right now. Heck and with a crock pot one doesn't even need to put it on the stove. Today we also have good veggie and meat stocks available in the grocery. I tend to keep a couple of boxes of chicken and veggie stock (organic no salt) in my pantry. I'll buy these items when they are on sale.

In most cases one can make a substitute for a creamed soup by simply using a puree of good veggies to thicken it, or a roux.

I use a lot of fresh veggies and fruit, and do stock up when they are on sale. If, as a singleton, I cannot consume them before they decline there is always the freezer or smoothies. It is my preference to make a pot of vegetable soup and then freeze the finished product. The fruits make for good mixed cobblers in the winter.

Wait, you can use a slow cooker\crock pot to make stock?

Why has no one informed me of this before?

Wait, you can use a slow cooker\crock pot to make stock?

Why has no one informed me of this before?

I'm sorry you didn't get the email, perhaps you failed to register as member of my secret pm army :lol:

They work just fine, I do start with hot or boiling water to save time. I'm a big advocate of using electric turkey roasters instead of crock pots for big batch cooking. I also like their temperature adjustments. They're good for making red sauce for canning so you don't need to slave over a hot stove. I have two Rivals that I got at the Goodwill. I think I payed $9.99 for each.

Turkey-Roaster.jpg

I don't think there's anything wrong with using canned soup. Yes, it's easy to make your own stock, but it still takes time and may not be worth it to some people. High sodium isn't always bad - it can actually be great for people with low blood pressure. My Dr. recommends that I drink regular chicken broth with salt added to keep my BP up and prevent orthostatic hypotension. I do wish the Duggars would try something other than Campbell's though; their soup tastes chemically to me, and there are so many good brands of canned soup with quality ingredients.

I don't think there's anything wrong with using canned soup. Yes, it's easy to make your own stock, but it still takes time and may not be worth it to some people. High sodium isn't always bad - it can actually be great for people with low blood pressure. My Dr. recommends that I drink regular chicken broth with salt added to keep my BP up and prevent orthostatic hypotension. I do wish the Duggars would try something other than Campbell's though; their soup tastes chemically to me, and there are so many good brands of canned soup with quality ingredients.

That's how it is for me. I don't usually care for soup but will get cravings for it from time to time. So for me it is just easier to go to the store and buy one of those little box soups (I don't like canned items because they taste tinny). I just look at the different nutrition stats and go with the one that looks best.

I can see where homemade soup would be best for someone or a family that eats a lot of soup though, because in the long run it'd be cheaper, healthier and better for the environment.

And for stocks, again because I don't use much, I just go with a local store brand because it's not too bad health-wise. I never eat meat with bones. Ever. So I don't have bones to make beef or chicken stock with.

Well, making stock doesn't really take much time if you're making it primarily from scraps. You don't need to be sitting there staring at the pot every second (especially if it's a crockpot), you start it simmering and go watch TV or do whatever you like. Once it's cooking it pretty much makes itself. And you can make a few really big batches all at once and then freeze them for later use.

If you're making a planned stock instead of a found stock you'll have to take a few minutes to chop your various vegetables and whatnot, but then, again, it's back to "it cooks itself".

I never eat meat with bones. Ever. So I don't have bones to make beef or chicken stock with.

Well, that's not really necessary for stock either. It's helpful, certainly, and it certainly is why stock is a truly frugal food (getting that last bit of goodness out of food that'd otherwise go to waste!), but if you truly dislike cooking or eating meat with the bone in you can ask the butcher directly for bones (which you can even get free if there's low demand for them in your area) or make your stock using meat instead.

Look, I'm not saying you have to make stock. You don't have to do anything you don't want. I just think that all these "Oh, I can't because of this reason or that reason!" arguments are flawed because they're factually wrong. It doesn't take that much time, it's not that hard, and the bones are not an insurmountable obstacle.

Well, making stock doesn't really take much time if you're making it primarily from scraps. You don't need to be sitting there staring at the pot every second (especially if it's a crockpot), you start it simmering and go watch TV or do whatever you like. Once it's cooking it pretty much makes itself. And you can make a few really big batches all at once and then freeze them for later use.

If you're making a planned stock instead of a found stock you'll have to take a few minutes to chop your various vegetables and whatnot, but then, again, it's back to "it cooks itself".

Well, that's not really necessary for stock either. It's helpful, certainly, and it certainly is why stock is a truly frugal food (getting that last bit of goodness out of food that'd otherwise go to waste!), but if you truly dislike cooking or eating meat with the bone in you can ask the butcher directly for bones (which you can even get free if there's low demand for them in your area) or make your stock using meat instead.

Look, I'm not saying you have to make stock. You don't have to do anything you don't want. I just think that all these "Oh, I can't because of this reason or that reason!" arguments are flawed because they're factually wrong. It doesn't take that much time, it's not that hard, and the bones are not an insurmountable obstacle.

I know I could make it if I wanted to; I'm just saying that, for some people, canned soup actually makes more sense. I need the extra sodium, it's inexpensive and convenient, healthy brands are available, and I don't have to cut into what precious little sleep I'm getting during my accelerated nursing program.

For all their preaching about stay at home motherhood being God's calling for women, it all boils down the fact that anything they do is half assed. Their cooking is half assed, their child rearing is half assed and violent, their homemaking is half assed, and on and on. Their is no concept of striving for excellence, for beauty, for clarity, for just plain fun.

This, QFT.

It's just incredible that they can take something as comforting and bonding as a family meal and turn it into something so devoid of joy and plain nasty.

This, also. Not like every single meal in my house is worthy of being immortalized in a cookbook, but I feel like my daughter and I get more joy from sitting down with one of my dishes than any of this crowd does.

This can't be said enough. That they have the gall to denigrate other parents is what's really wrong. They're always making these nasty little digs at secular people, working mothers, single mothers and lesbians. Meanwhile, fundie parenting doesn't even make it to half-assed.

This, times a thousand.

I am not the only one who saves meat and veggie scraps in the freezer for stock? I seriously thought I was brilliant.

Just put a large ziploc in the freezer. Whenever you peel or cut pieces off veggies, stick them in. When the bag is full, put the contents in a crockpot and fill with water. Throw in a chicken carcass or leftover bones from dinner. Leave it in the crockpot all day, then strain and (wallah!!!) it's stock.

I save the carcass when I roast a chicken. I also get hambones from my dad (he's the one who cooks the ham for our extended family dinners) for beans.

I'm sorry you didn't get the email, perhaps you failed to register as member of my secret pm army :lol:

They work just fine, I do start with hot or boiling water to save time. I'm a big advocate of using electric turkey roasters instead of crock pots for big batch cooking. I also like their temperature adjustments. They're good for making red sauce for canning so you don't need to slave over a hot stove. I have two Rivals that I got at the Goodwill. I think I payed $9.99 for each.

Turkey-Roaster.jpg

I have one of these! My husband works for the company that makes them so I got mine for free! It's great for the holidays and you only have one oven. I toss the turkey in there and use the oven for other stuff. It's also great for sausage, peppers and potatoes.

Michele Duggar gave some tips on feeding a a large family:

When you’re serving bigger amounts of people, industrial size pots and pans are helpful.

Stop the presses! :shock:

Industrial refrigerator enables us to store things more effectively.

Get a deep freezer with a lid that lifts from the top. The regular freezers often don’t freeze properly because something is sticking out. We have found so many things on Craig’s List. People often will sell freezers because they don’t want to take it with them when they move.

We love convection ovens.

Large crockpots. Put the food in the night before.

We have a bright colored piece of paper on the fridge with 3 columns representing the 3 major stores where we shop. When we run out of an item, we write down always on the refrigerator door.

We use a phone app called Cozi Calendar in order to monitor what’s going on with the family.

Buy lots of giant plastic bowls from Goodwill.

I had a deep freezer with lid lifted from top. The regular freezers often don’t freeze properly because something is sticking out. We have found so many things on Craig’s List. People often will sell freezers because they don’t want to take it with them when they move.

We recommend an extra washer and dryer and a fold out ironing board from the wall.

Did people pay money to be privy to all this amazing advice? Shopping lists, you say? And things don't freeze if they're not properly in the freezer? Michelle has a preference for convection ovens? AMAZING.

You should also cook a large amount of food, because lots of people will eat more food than one person, so you need to make more food. Paycheck, please.

Michele Duggar gave some tips on feeding a a large family:

When you’re serving bigger amounts of people, industrial size pots and pans are helpful.

Well yes, human body parts don't fit in the "regular" sized pots and pans...

Well yes, human body parts don't fit in the "regular" sized pots and pans...

:lol:

:( there is no room in our small freezer (my roommate eats out of the freezer 50% of the time :( ) When I'm a grown up (lol) I'll have a deep freezer. (can't wait ahahaha)

Turkey-Roaster.jpg

How does one register as a member of the secret PM army? Will I be approached? :)

I'll definitely need to try it, thanks!

I've been thinking of particularly the Gothardite approach to feeding/raising these large families, and here is what really pings for me. They treat these kids like feed lot cattle or pig operations. The cheapest and nastiest food possible to ensure growth, in a industrial setting, with little social interactions that would develop their minds. Fill troughs, get all the kids/cattle to the trough, have them eating out of basic instinct, feed time over, get them back to their spot. The family meal as an industrial operation to keep the stock going. How can you not weep?

Children as blessings my Big Fat Greek Ass! :evil:

Turkey-Roaster.jpg

Taking the thread OT, but I'm considering buying a crock pot/slow cooker, but I do batch cook a lot of meals so I'm wondering now if the turkey roaster is a better idea. Do you think they are a better idea? I've seen a 7ltr crock pot which I thought would be fine for batch cooking, how big are the turkey roasters? Do they cook at a low temp like crock pots do?

To me they aren't "fundy recipes" as much as "southern recipes"? I grew up on casseroles...almost every night literally a week would look like

Tuna Casserole (Cream of soup, Canned Tuna, Egg Noodles, Cheese, some sort of frozen veggie)

Rice Casserole (Brown Rice, Ground meat, canned Veggie soup, Cheese)

"Pasta Casserole" (Ground Meat, Pasta, Spaghetti sauce, Cheese)

Chicken Casserole (Ground Meat, Noodles, Cream of Soup, Cheese, some sort of frozen veggie)

Kraft Macaroni and cheese mixed with tuna and frozen veggies

Spaghetti, but it was already all mixed together

Sometimes we would have chicken legs or thighs with mac and cheese or rice a roni and frozen veggies

Wow, just wow!

- Cauliflower in cheese sauce. I eat this to be polite, but why would you ruin delicious, fresh cauliflower with Velveeta?

I love cauliflower roasted in the oven (after tossing with onions, garlic, olive oil, and salt) and sprinkled with generous amounts of freshly grated Parmesan. Not velveeta, I had enough of that growing up! I used to love mushy broccoli smothered in velveeta...now the thought makes me want to puke.

Up until very recently, I usually ate prepared, processed, and canned stuff. I decided to start a csa (where I get a box of fresh, local fruits and veggies each week) and its forced me to learn to cook with all sorts of veggies. Loving it so far, and my favorite has been baked eggplant parmegiana with roasted tomatoes and ricotta. It's more work than I'm used to, as I don't have a big kitchen or a lot of tools to use (unfair that the duggars do and don't use it) and I have to take the time to chop and slice veggies, but it is worth it. I feel a lot better about what I eat, and the convenience of having veggies delivered every week along with add-ons like bread and milk, eggs, yogurt, ect., has been great. Granted, earlier I wouldn't have been in a location that does this (new to the big city) and I wouldn't have thought I could afford it. I did the math though and realized I spent just as much at the grocery store on crap as my weekly payment. If anyone lives somewhere that you can do csas and have the extra cash, it's fun and made me step outside my comfort zone. Since I was raised southern and on cream-o-crap casseroles, it took forcing me to cook with new stuff to make the effort.

Apologies for any bad grammar, I'm on my phone.

I love cauliflower roasted in the oven (after tossing with onions, garlic, olive oil, and salt) and sprinkled with generous amounts of freshly grated Parmesan. Not velveeta, I had enough of that growing up! I used to love mushy broccoli smothered in velveeta...now the thought makes me want to puke.

Up until very recently, I usually ate prepared, processed, and canned stuff. I decided to start a csa (where I get a box of fresh, local fruits and veggies each week) and its forced me to learn to cook with all sorts of veggies. Loving it so far, and my favorite has been baked eggplant parmegiana with roasted tomatoes and ricotta. It's more work than I'm used to, as I don't have a big kitchen or a lot of tools to use (unfair that the duggars do and don't use it) and I have to take the time to chop and slice veggies, but it is worth it. I feel a lot better about what I eat, and the convenience of having veggies delivered every week along with add-ons like bread and milk, eggs, yogurt, ect., has been great. Granted, earlier I wouldn't have been in a location that does this (new to the big city) and I wouldn't have thought I could afford it. I did the math though and realized I spent just as much at the grocery store on crap as my weekly payment. If anyone lives somewhere that you can do csas and have the extra cash, it's fun and made me step outside my comfort zone. Since I was raised southern and on cream-o-crap casseroles, it took forcing me to cook with new stuff to make the effort.

Apologies for any bad grammar, I'm on my phone.

I belong to a CSA too, we have a full basket of organic veggies each saturday, goat cheese (6 of them) once a month and 20 kg of meat (pork and beef) twice a year (yes I own a big freezer !)

I spend far less money on groceries than I used too because I go less in tempting supermarkets :lol:

We only eat in-season veggies which is sometimes tricky, especially in winter with all those cabbages and winter squashes, but I'm so happy to eat locally and to know the people who provide this food for us...

My mom and I belong to a CSA too, and I loooove it. My parents are/were pretty hardcore hippies and my dad grew up on a farm, so we've always been general anti-processed food. We ate a lot of fresh veggies before, but now it's like a smorgasbord of produce and I'm so glad we joined. Tonight we're having garlic steamed kale with fettucine alfredo and I can't wait! Right now we're just getting green veggies, but soon we'll be getting tons of tomatoes and potatoes and I am so excited to nom on them.

Archived