IGNORED

Maxwell 58: What Will Anna Do? Plus Anna Marie Gives Birth

Coconut Flan

Yeah I no longer think she was pregnant at Mary's wedding. If she was big enough to show 10 weeks before, she'd be obviously pregnant by now. Ie if she was 12 weeks (many women look a little pregnant by then) then at 22 weeks it would be an obvious bump. 
I tend to agree / a healthy body after years of restrictive eating. Good for her! 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1

On 9/26/2023 at 12:03 AM, usmcmom said:

I was surprised to see Madeline is forward facing in her carseat.  She is pretty small and is she even two yet?  Also, I think her carseat clip needs to be raised. Yes, we have been given rigorously carseat instructions for driving with our grandson and that is just fine with  me

I'm not surprised, all these fundied turn the babies around far earlier than they should, seems to be a 1st birthday rite of passage based on old school traditions. Chelsy may dress modern but her views and safety standards are conservative in every sense of the word.

• Upvote 15

It just goes to show what a healthy appetite Sarah really does have when she is not being restricted. She must have been so miserable all those years eating those tiny meals. Bet she has meat in her burritos now!

• Upvote 6
  • Eyeroll 1
  • I Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Fluffles said:

It just goes to show what a healthy appetite Sarah really does have when she is not being restricted. She must have been so miserable all those years eating those tiny meals. Bet she has meat in her burritos now!

Or she just hated that bland food and only ate a little bit because it was so unappetizing. I think in some very large fundie families with limited means, they have food that is very unappetizing so they don’t eat much. I am reminded of a part of Jill Duggar’s new book. She said the first time they were filmed going grocery shopping at Aldi (a very inexpensive place to shop already) and the network said they would pay the shopping bill. Jill said they bought food everyone loved like lucky charms and frozen meat burritos. They wouldn’t have to eat bean sandwiches and tater tot casserole that week. She said the “good food” was always gone in the house and they would have to hide it or hurry to eat it first. The stuff that was left over was like beans that no one wanted. So technically there was food. But no one wanted to eat it. I think a lot of these fundie children get married and gain weight because they can finally eat food they like. And they can eat until they are full. 

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 4

Here's something that we've not commented on:  Sarah has a job.

Sarah -- a married, raised uber fundie woman --  has a job. She's a self-employed photographer (and a damn good one).

At the moment it may just be a hobby for family and friends. She may not charge them or only charge a nominal price.  But ... as more people see her photos (i.e. friends of friends of friends of friends), and word gets around how good she is  - that business is going to grow.

Sarah is so good at photography and seems to love doing it (unlike writing the Moody books). Kory is very supportive of her, and seems perfectly happy to haul her equipment around.

I can absolutely believe Kory would encourage her to go for creating a photography business, and be her most vocal cheerleader.

I wonder how Christoper feels that he wasn't asked to photo Chelsey's brother's wedding.  After all he is the Maxhell photographer (and not a good one at all). Is he furious that Sarah has usurped his role?

I wonder what Stevehovah thinks about Sarah's hobby/ small business?  Is he convinced she's going straight to Hell because of it? (I vote yes.)  Has he told her that? (I vote yes.)  Has she ignored him? (I vote yes.)

Sarah - you go!! You do you!!!!

If photography is your hobby and you love it  -- Do It.  If you want to make it a small business -- Do It. Neither of those things are a sin. The only person's opinion that matters is Kory's -- and he's your cheerleader.

• Upvote 12
  • Love 14

Honestly Sarah probably has a never ending supply of people needing a photographer. Think of all the engagement shoots, wedding photography, newborn photos, family photo shoots that people want all around her. I imagine she has to turn down work. 

• Upvote 16

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Or she just hated that bland food and only ate a little bit because it was so unappetizing. I think in some very large fundie families with limited means, they have food that is very unappetizing so they don’t eat much. I am reminded of a part of Jill Duggar’s new book. She said the first time they were filmed going grocery shopping at Aldi (a very inexpensive place to shop already) and the network said they would pay the shopping bill. Jill said they bought food everyone loved like lucky charms and frozen meat burritos. They wouldn’t have to eat bean sandwiches and tater tot casserole that week. She said the “good food” was always gone in the house and they would have to hide it or hurry to eat it first. The stuff that was left over was like beans that no one wanted. So technically there was food. But no one wanted to eat it. I think a lot of these fundie children get married and gain weight because they can finally eat food they like. And they can eat until they are full. 

My husband grew up like this. He is from a family with 7 kids, 5 boys. My MIL was very structured and controlling with food and money (there were no actual financial issues). She served the same meals, on the same rotation, each week. Monday chicken, Tuesday… All of the kids were thin when they lived at home, but once they moved out, that all changed, especially for the females. Now none of them are obese, but none of them would be considered thin either. My husband is probably the thinnest as he is also tall. 

Edited by SassyPants
  • Upvote 8
  • Sad 1

Or she just hated that bland food and only ate a little bit because it was so unappetizing.

I agree. There was nothing wrong per se with the food the Maxwell's made. It would  provide essential nutrients but it was not appetizing. Who would want to have seconds (or even firsts) of their version of bean burritos or soup? On top of this who would have an appetite if they were living under Steve's thumb?

• Upvote 9
  • Love 1

There are so many ways a person could be eating less than is necessary for their health when in a strict and controlling home with limited finances. Hell I could see a fundie parent forcing a kid to consume dairy even if they are showing signs of lactose intolerance. I could see fundies forcing kids to eat or go hungry if they have food texture issues. I feel for any fundie child with food sensory issues. They are probably made to go hungry and labeled as picky at a young age. 

• Upvote 7
  • Sad 1
  • WTF 2
  • I Agree 1

Sarah probably has a never ending supply of people needing a photographer.

Yep. She & Kory are from large families and then thereʻs their church -- a big pool of people who may want a good photographer whom they actually know.

• Upvote 9

9 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Honestly Sarah probably has a never ending supply of people needing a photographer. Think of all the engagement shoots, wedding photography, newborn photos, family photo shoots that people want all around her. I imagine she has to turn down work. 

If I lived closer I’d hire her. She did a wonderful resume photo for a mature woman! It’s on her business Instagram feed. 

7 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

There are so many ways a person could be eating less than is necessary for their health when in a strict and controlling home with limited finances. Hell I could see a fundie parent forcing a kid to consume dairy even if they are showing signs of lactose intolerance. I could see fundies forcing kids to eat or go hungry if they have food texture issues. I feel for any fundie child with food sensory issues. They are probably made to go hungry and labeled as picky at a young age. 

Food as control device. Remember when Anna narc’ed on a couple of the younger brothers and their punishment was eating crackers in the family car while the rest of the Maxes ate at the local Taco Bell?  

While I’m waxing chatty, I was a little annoyed that Chelsy “threw away” some shoes which caused her to stumble (she said “trip” but I couldn’t resist)!

Wish she’d said she donated them. But then people might have fussed that she donated dangerous shoes. I dunno. I think I’m hungry. LOL 

• Upvote 5
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 4

9 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

They are probably made to go hungry and labeled as picky at a young age. 

Try "disobedient" or "controlling." These are the same people who believe a shy child is acting that way only so he or she can control the conversation by refusing to speak.

• Upvote 12
  • Sad 1

Another aspect that could be linked to the major change in Sarah's physical appearance could be correlated to a change in her mental health.  

We know the home life was controlling and oppressive. We know there was little autonomy under Steve.  We know that Sarah suffered more than one concussion and had to heal from those.  Just from appearances Sarah physically appeared depressed.  

At some point there was some level of intervention. Somehow, someone, some way got involved and changes started to happen.. Sarah stopped blogging- likely a chore she was not find of...

Sarah stopped writing- from her blog post about HOW she wrote it sure sounded like more chore than joyful experience

Sarah moved out into her own living situation.... 

Then all of the sudden Sarah pops up on the radar in another church, wearing pants and makeup, smiling, physically connecting with some attractive guy her age, and BOOM she is engaged and getting married.  

We eventually find out via Chelsey, Sarah had started to do photography for friends and took the risk and made a dating profile online thus setting off this domino affect.  And suddenly we see smiles, healthier glow, weight gain, clothing change etc.  

Kory is not a rail thin man so (hopefully) there is not a mental stigma that Sarah would need to manage and keep herself smaller then him for appearances. I would hope that she has been very open and transparent with him about the good AND bad in her life and that he is smart enough to recognize HOW much she has grown and changed recently

• Upvote 24
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 2

11 hours ago, MamaJunebug said:

If I lived closer I’d hire her. She did a wonderful resume photo for a mature woman! It’s on her business Instagram feed. 

Food as control device. Remember when Anna narc’ed on a couple of the younger brothers and their punishment was eating crackers in the family car while the rest of the Maxes ate at the local Taco Bell?  

While I’m waxing chatty, I was a little annoyed that Chelsy “threw away” some shoes which caused her to stumble (she said “trip” but I couldn’t resist)!

Wish she’d said she donated them. But then people might have fussed that she donated dangerous shoes. I dunno. I think I’m hungry. LOL 

I find this interesting. Are resume/CV photos standard in the US? Here in the UK we're usually encouraged not to include one (unless relevant to the job we're applying for... not sure when that would be needed, maybe for modelling/acting or similar). I looked up about CV advice and the reason given for no photos was for unconscious bias reasons (on the part of the employer/recruiter).

Their bean burrito recipe always sounded so gross. It was basically onions, beans and jalapenos, all pureed together. And the cooking process took forever - it took place over a couple of days. Sarah always said it was her favourite meal... but was it really??

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, NoseyNellie said:

Kory is not a rail thin man so (hopefully) there is not a mental stigma that Sarah would need to manage and keep herself smaller then him for appearances. I would hope that she has been very open and transparent with him about the good AND bad in her life and that he is smart enough to recognize HOW much she has grown and changed recently

Kory has got to know his father-in-law is whacked.  He probably helped Sarah see that.  Steve thinks that football is Satan's game.  Not only did Kory play football, but his late father was a football coach.  He probably helped Sarah realize that her father is wrong.  With the clothes she was wearing in that picture, I don't think she cares what her father has to say any more.  

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 5

5 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

I find this interesting. Are resume/CV photos standard in the US? Here in the UK we're usually encouraged not to include one (unless relevant to the job we're applying for... not sure when that would be needed, maybe for modelling/acting or similar). I looked up about CV advice and the reason given for no photos was for unconscious bias reasons (on the part of the employer/recruiter).

It's been a long time since I've done a resume, but yeah we usually wouldn't include one. However, these days your LinkedIn profile is likely to be looked up (I need to update mine, apparently when our company got bought some people here at the new combined company checked it out...) so maybe it was for that? Also companies like to have a decent headshot for their website depending on the position. 

Unless the person is a Realtor. For some reason Realtors put their own photo EVERYWHERE.  Business cards, for sale signs, ads anywhere they place them, flyers, etc. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 1

It's standard practice in some countries to include a photo. However, in the US, most large companies discourage it and some will outright deny applications with a photo. They don't want to be accused of bias based on gender/sex/age/race/religion. 

• Upvote 5

When I was searching for regular jobs I always had a covered letter. It was basically the same for each job I applied to except I change the job I was applying for & which website I saw the job posted on. 

• Upvote 5

2 hours ago, Maggie Mae said:

It's standard practice in some countries to include a photo. However, in the US, most large companies discourage it and some will outright deny applications with a photo. They don't want to be accused of bias based on gender/sex/age/race/religion. 

Yeah, sounds similar to the UK then. I was just interested, really. 

• Upvote 4

10 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

Are resume/CV photos standard in the US? Here in the UK we're usually encouraged not to include one

Good Q!  Ive been out of the *work!* game for so long, I really don’t know!  I wouldn’t mind having a nice image of myself for … I dunno what purpose. 
Wait oh wait! I DO Know! 
In Japan (according to NHK TV, which I watched a few years ago til my cable dropped it) folks get a pleasant photo of themselves taken as they enter their later years. The family display the photo at home as a memorial when the time comes. 

Speaking of old people, I typed *work!* above in homage to Maynard G. Krebs. Who, here, remembers him?  :D 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, MamaJunebug said:

Good Q!  Ive been out of the *work!* game for so long, I really don’t know!  I wouldn’t mind having a nice image of myself for … I dunno what purpose. 
Wait oh wait! I DO Know! 
In Japan (according to NHK TV, which I watched a few years ago til my cable dropped it) folks get a pleasant photo of themselves taken as they enter their later years. The family display the photo at home as a memorial when the time comes. 

Speaking of old people, I typed *work!* above in homage to Maynard G. Krebs. Who, here, remembers him?  :D 

WORK!!!!!!!

• Bless Your Heart 1
  • Haha 5

4 hours ago, MamaJunebug said:

I was over on the Rodrigues forum and was going to suggest that Phillip's goatee always reminded me of Maynard G. Krebs but I didn't know if anyone would get the reference.  I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who remembers him!

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 3

Sarah has an average appearance/weight. She was thinner when single, but she was also average then. I would understand comments if she got obese or extremely thin of had some major change. But from average to average? It's giving too much importance to weight. 

For me, the big change is that she looks happy and relaxed. No more depressed look on the verge of tears. I don't care if she is eating more or less... weight does not indicate happiness nor the contrary: slim people can be very  happy too and some weight gain is tied to anxiety, so gain/loss weight is not an evidence of well being, but her looks and attitude is.

• I Agree 13

On 10/1/2023 at 5:20 PM, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

At the moment it may just be a hobby for family and friends. She may not charge them or only charge a nominal price. 

She does advertise on instagram as a photographer, her profile says to message her for availability and pricing, and even the photos she took for family have comments that do not show they were family. For example, she posted a photo of Mary and Sam saying “I took this couple’s engagement photos and months later helped out with formals. They are adorable.” This is clearly addressed to potential non-family customers.
https://www.instagram.com/psalm374photography/

• Upvote 8
  • Love 2

On 10/1/2023 at 5:20 PM, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

I wonder how Christoper feels that he wasn't asked to photo Chelsey's brother's wedding.  After all he is the Maxhell photographer (and not a good one at all). Is he furious that Sarah has usurped his role?

And with not clothes hangers to be found in any of her photos! If there is no photo of a clothes hanger in an empty staircase, is it even a wedding? 😂

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 11

• Coconut Flan changed the title to Maxwell 58: What Will Anna Do? Plus Anna Marie Gives Birth
  • Coconut Flan locked this topic