IGNORED

Where in the World is Doug Phillips? Part 13

Coconut Flan

Since this person delightfully brought in Stacy and quoted Passionate Housewives, it is now time to bring in Jennie "what? I don't recollect any harmful teachings or idolizing Doug and Beall, I just run a quirky coffee shop in Alabama with my passel of kids" Chancey.  

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 3
  • I Agree 2

2 hours ago, bea said:

I remember James and Stacey!  They had a blended family they pretended wasn't blended and a daughter with a failed courtship whose courtship got scrubbed from the site and they never mentioned it again.

Oh yes. Stacy recast herself as what she called a "grace widow" which meant that she was free to marry James. 

Re: the failed courtship. They also trumpeted that a betrothal was the same as a marriage and therefore breaking a betrothal was a de facto divorce. This pronouncement disappeared into the ether when their betrothed daughter broke that attachment. 

47 minutes ago, danvillebelle said:

it is now time to bring in Jennie "what? I don't recollect any harmful teachings or idolizing Doug and Beall, I just run a quirky coffee shop in Alabama with my passel of kids" Chancey.  

Oh yes to this as well. I am looking forward to it.

I must say that for the sake of their kids, itʻs good that Stacy & Jennie seem to have dumped their former ideology but since both of them frequently wrote or appeared on behalf of those destructive beliefs, they also owe the public -- especially their followers -- an apology and transparent acknowledgement of their formerly destructive beliefs.

Edited by hoipolloi
clarity
  • Upvote 5
  • I Agree 3

Grass widow! That was what she called herself. I had forgotten that. 

Rufus bless whoever is outing all these charlatans on cinema of wonder. It’s glorious 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

2 hours ago, frumperlicious said:

Rufus bless whoever is outing all these charlatans on cinema of wonder. It’s glorious 

Wondering if Dougie someone will post a warning or condemnation of the reimagined Cinema of Wonder on the VF FB page. 

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, bea said:

Oh remember Matt Chancey and the whole "manliest man" thing?

What, this?

image.png.e7972246ed937ee6d3628e3a3aa9997b.png

That picture still gives me the willies. It looks straight out of King Leopold's Ghost. You almost expect to see a bunch of hand-less rubber pickers on the next page.

• Upvote 4
  • Angry 2
  • Disgust 3

6 hours ago, danvillebelle said:

Since this person delightfully brought in Stacy and quoted Passionate Housewives, it is now time to bring in Jennie "what? I don't recollect any harmful teachings or idolizing Doug and Beall, I just run a quirky coffee shop in Alabama with my passel of kids" Chancey.  

Jennie Chancey is involved enough in the costuming world that she has had positive contact with Bernadette Banner who has a queer or trans sibling and with Zack Pinsent. He is VERY out, proud and loud. For the life of me I can’t find the comments they were saying or remember the actual comments and exactly who was talking about/to who.
Just that very gay and  very conservative Christians were bonding over costumes. 🤯

Edited by Mrs Ms
“She” isn’t helpful when talking about 2 women
  • Upvote 5

Apologies if this should have been posted elsewhere. I did a search on the site and did not find anything recent for the Coghlan family, formerly of “inashoe” infamy and the inspiration for the phrase “children stacked like cordwood.” They had eight or nine children in a very small house illegally built on someone else’s property, and Perry, along with some of their older children, worked in the Vision Forum warehouse (I think he was the manager).

They are up to 13 children now with some of the older ones married and out of the house, but they certainly aren’t stacking them like cordwood anymore. After the fall of VF, they got into eBay reselling and they must be doing spectacularly well at it because according to the Bexar County Appraisal District website, they are living in a $1.2 million dollar house. 

I can’t help wondering at the enormous gulf between the childhoods of the older children who grew up in penury in a crowded shack and the younger children who are growing up in luxury.

• Upvote 5
  • Sad 1
  • Thank You 1

13 hours ago, VVV said:

I did a search on the site and did not find anything recent for the Coghlan family, formerly of “inashoe” infamy

Interesting family in some ways, because, at least in earlier photos, they didn't look like the perfectly polished VF family -- there seemed to be some funky individuality in dress and hairstyle allowed. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Howl said:

Interesting family in some ways, because, at least in earlier photos, they didn't look like the perfectly polished VF family -- there seemed to be some funky individuality in dress and hairstyle allowed. 

Agreed. They also seemed better read than the average SOTDRT family, and nobody could say that they didn’t have a great work ethic. I got the impression that Perry did more work in one week than Doug the Tool did in a year. I assume they’re still homeschooling the younger children, which is a shame because they live pretty close to some excellent public schools.

• Upvote 5

3 minutes ago, VVV said:

I assume they’re still homeschooling the younger children, which is a shame because they live pretty close to some excellent public schools.

I'd hope they are involved in some home-school co-ops/enrichment activities and not still in that "the mega family provides the only experience you will ever need" mindset. 

I also got the impression that everyone worked - I hope not to the detriment of an actual education -- but I suppose learning how to run a successful business is one aspect of an education. I'm also interested on how they are doing and how fundie they remain in their educational materials, now that they are doing well financially. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Howl said:

I'd hope they are involved in some home-school co-ops/enrichment activities and not still in that "the mega family provides the only experience you will ever need" mindset. 

I also got the impression that everyone worked - I hope not to the detriment of an actual education -- but I suppose learning how to run a successful business is one aspect of an education. I'm also interested on how they are doing and how fundie they remain in their educational materials, now that they are doing well financially. 

There is a lot of public material on Kim‘s Facebook, but very few mentions of politics, religion, or homeschooling. Of course, there’s no telling what she posts that is private. The little hints that exist publicly suggest that their theology and their politics remain unchanged. They are living the good life for sure.

I have to say that I am absolutely astounded at their financial trajectory. They have the life that the Phillips family was grifting, except to give them their due they appear to have earned it themselves through hard work.

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, VVV said:

They are living the good life for sure.

Yep. Check out this exchange from Kim's FB page a few months ago:

No more homeschooling.png

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 6

I kind of got the idea the Coghlans weren't white and blond so weren't prominently featured and then when VF went down they really struggled for awhile. I admit I enjoy their financial success when compared to Doug and Beall's current situations😁

Edited by Sweetpickle
I can't spell😑
  • Upvote 1
  • I Agree 5

I'll bet they have 2 or 3 wonderful people to help them out with various aspects of running a large household and big house and I don't begrudge them if they've done that, unless they've started giving large sums of money to various assholes to further a regressive/repressive agenda. 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 1
  • I Agree 4

51 minutes ago, Howl said:

I'll bet they have 2 or 3 wonderful people to help them out with various aspects of running a large household and big house and I don't begrudge them if they've done that

Neither do I. In the case of homeschooling, chances are good the kids are getting a better education from the tutor than they would be from either parent.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

I do give them props for admitting to paid help and the fact that having a private teacher isn't the same as a parent homeschooling the kids.

Can you even IMAGINE the VF crowd's reaction to someone saying that?  Mercy!

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

23 minutes ago, bea said:

Can you even IMAGINE the VF crowd's reaction to someone saying that?  Mercy!

VF's solution was to pay through the nose for expensive cosplay trips around the US and abroad where people could listen to Dougie and the failed academic Bill Potter bloviate ad nauseum. 

Edited by hoipolloi
  • Upvote 3

7 hours ago, Sweetpickle said:

I kind of got the idea the Coghlans weren't white and blond so weren't prominently featured and then when VF went down they really struggled for awhile. I admit I enjoy their financial success when compared to Doug and Beall's current situations😁

They are white - not blonde - and I think from a more working class background than Dougie and co. VF was notably classist. 

• Upvote 4

15 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

and the failed academic Bill Potter bloviate ad nauseum

Ah, yes, the rewriting of "history" is big in fundy circles.  Potter is still running his same tired shtick about "providential history" through Landmark Events.  I noticed one intriguing bit from his bio: "Mr. Potter...has penned many articles and book reviews for publication."   

That doesn't mean they were actually published!  "Dear Mr. Potter, thank you for your submission.  We are unable to accept your article/review as it does not meet the rigorous academic standards required for our journal.  Best, every academic publication ever." 

He's still listed as a Staff Historian for Vision Forum Ministries on the Exodus Books webpage: "A consummate historian and avid bibliophile, Bill Potter brings a wealth of experience and knowledge of history to his current position as staff historian for Vision Forum Ministries. He holds a B.A. in American History from Cedarville College and a M.A. in American History from the University of Dayton, where he taught military history for a time. He holds a background as a top Ph.D. candidate in history at the College of William and Mary.

What bull shit. There's a story there, but I don't have time to excavate it at the moment.   Top Ph.D. candidate = ABD (all but dissertation) meaning he never completed his dissertation and didn't defend it to his dissertation committee. 

He also has a personal library in excess of 4,000 antiquated hardbacks!..." 

Ouch, that's painful. 

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 2

1 hour ago, Howl said:

There's a story there, but I don't have time to excavate it at the moment.   Top Ph.D. candidate = ABD (all but dissertation) meaning he never completed his dissertation and didn't defend it to his dissertation committee. 

Fortunately, I screencapped a 2004 tribute to Potter by Dougie. The tl;dr - Potter''s academic career was tanked by a MARXIST:

BillPotterAcademicCareer.thumb.jpg.ebc725d08ca44778dc6d32796c5ff968.jpg

And, of course, who could forget this astounding wedding photo, ca 1992:wedding_phillips.jpg.a893ed8b42bb8011826cb3f597acc41e.jpg 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 3

14 hours ago, VVV said:

They are white - not blonde - and I think from a more working class background than Dougie and co. VF was notably classist. 

I didn't mean they weren't white I meant they didn't fit VF's look

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

2 hours ago, Columbia said:

"overt Christian and Southern perspective on history."
I wonder if his dissertation was just "Dabney is my homeboy" scrawled over and over.

This is just the best!  In essence,  yes! 

@hoipolloi, as ever, thanks for the institutional memory! 

"He and his wife Leslie have seven children Davis, Dabney, Electa (WTF?), Beall, Jackson, Lydia, Claire and...uh...Brandon."  That's eight names but who's counting. 

Davis, Dabney and Jackson are ostensibly named after Southern confederate soldiers. 

Did they name a daughter after Beall?  

And one more additional thing! What is a top Ph.D. candidate? More likely, Potter was a legend in his own mind but that doesn't quite fit Doug's narrative of the career of a brilliant  Christian academic cut short  by persecution at the hands of a vile Marxist. 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 6

1 hour ago, Howl said:

@hoipolloi, as ever, thanks for the institutional memory!

You're welcome. I live in hopes that someone who was in the History Dept at William & Mary during that era will show up here on FJ eventually and give us the tea. Stranger things have happened here so itʻs not impossible.

Re: Bill Potter as a Top Ph.D. Candidate™️. Iʻd be surprised if that were true. He may well have looked good enough on paper & had decent recommendation letters but once he showed up at W & M everyone said "WTF is up with this Lost Cause dickwad?" 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1