IGNORED

Where in the World is Doug Phillips? Part 13

Coconut Flan

Jennie Chancey's page is up, and it has my absolutely favorite line of hers from Return of the Daughters in it:

image.png.222600f5b2aeb2861b3405d809a5dcf0.png

I've always been dying to know how all these smart, college educated women didn't know how to boil water (or look it up on the internet or in a cookbook, apparently,) but somehow were able to find Jennie Chancey and tell her that.

Matt Chancey's Heart of Darkness photo also got a shout out.

• Upvote 11
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Haha 7
  • Love 1

9 hours ago, Columbia said:

Jennie Chancey's page is up, and it has my absolutely favorite line of hers from Return of the Daughters in it:

image.png.222600f5b2aeb2861b3405d809a5dcf0.png

I've always been dying to know how all these smart, college educated women didn't know how to boil water (or look it up on the internet or in a cookbook, apparently,) but somehow were able to find Jennie Chancey and tell her that.

Matt Chancey's Heart of Darkness photo also got a shout out.

That made me laugh so hard! How have I never heard this bullshit line? I went to college and have lots of friends who went to college. Some would call themselves feminists. Most had working moms. Yet all of them knew how to boil water. What’s funny about this is that when I was in college, all the girls were extremely capable. They all knew how to do their laundry, do basic cooking, clean, etc. Yet it was the boys who could be so clueless! It was embarrassing how many didn’t know how to do basic things like laundry! I would love to tell Jenny that it was so many of the men who knew nothing because their mothers did everything for them. Just like she proclaims to be the best way! Women must take care of men. So much so that they become helpless man-children. 

• Upvote 10

11 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Yet it was the boys who could be so clueless! It was embarrassing how many didn’t know how to do basic things like laundry! I would love to tell Jenny that it was so many of the men who knew nothing because their mothers did everything for them. Just like she proclaims to be the best way! Women must take care of men. So much so that they become helpless man-children. 

Was it @woonaluna who remarked that the girls in her mega family were super capable and organized; the boys were clueless? 

In patriarchy, the strict division of labor along gender lines leaves  boys and men not learning the basics of caring for themselves, their siblings/children or their household. 

• Upvote 8

42 minutes ago, Howl said:

In patriarchy, the strict division of labor along gender lines leaves  boys and men not learning the basics of caring for themselves, their siblings/children or their household. 

The combination of not knowing how to care for children, and then getting to decide whatever happens in the house, no questions asked, always makes for the most out of touch, unhinged commands about family life. Take, for instance, this charming vignette from Voddie Baucham in "What He Must Be If He Wants To Marry My Daughter" in which he loses his mind because a father is choosing to stay at home with his children because his wife has a large enough income to make that possible. For as much prattle as Voddie dedicates to "men protect their families" (until Doug Wilson throws him a check), what if the wife's new income made it possible for this family to move from eating mostly rice and beans and pasta to a healthier diet? What if it means they can move out of a dangerous neighborhood to a safer one? What if it means that now they can afford a decent car, instead of one that constantly needs repairs? What if the wife's new job means good benefits and now the kids can finally see a dentist? Is it "protecting the family" for the husband to enable all these changes, or would they be better off living with bars on the windows and relying on Voddie's church for "charity" just so the father can work himself to death and never see his kids?

image.png

image.png

• Upvote 4
  • Eyeroll 3
  • WTF 1
  • Thank You 3

4 hours ago, Columbia said:

The combination of not knowing how to care for children, and then getting to decide whatever happens in the house, no questions asked, always makes for the most out of touch, unhinged commands about family life. Take, for instance, this charming vignette from Voddie Baucham in "What He Must Be If He Wants To Marry My Daughter" in which he loses his mind because a father is choosing to stay at home with his children because his wife has a large enough income to make that possible. For as much prattle as Voddie dedicates to "men protect their families" (until Doug Wilson throws him a check), what if the wife's new income made it possible for this family to move from eating mostly rice and beans and pasta to a healthier diet? What if it means they can move out of a dangerous neighborhood to a safer one? What if it means that now they can afford a decent car, instead of one that constantly needs repairs? What if the wife's new job means good benefits and now the kids can finally see a dentist? Is it "protecting the family" for the husband to enable all these changes, or would they be better off living with bars on the windows and relying on Voddie's church for "charity" just so the father can work himself to death and never see his kids?

image.png

image.png

I wonder how Voddie’s wife feels knowing Voddie knows she “doesn’t work” while doing every effing thing around his house. What a douche. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 4

4 hours ago, Columbia said:

For as much prattle as Voddie dedicates to "men protect their families" (until Doug Wilson throws him a check), what if the wife's new income made it possible for this family to move from eating mostly rice and beans and pasta to a healthier diet? What if it means they can move out of a dangerous neighborhood to a safer one? What if it means that now they can afford a decent car, instead of one that constantly needs repairs? What if the wife's new job means good benefits and now the kids can finally see a dentist? Is it "protecting the family" for the husband to enable all these changes, or would they be better off living with bars on the windows and relying on Voddie's church for "charity" just so the father can work himself to death and never see his kids?

Very good point! And it reminds me of Piper's analogy about the woman who has a black belt in karate (emphasis mine):

Sarah has a black belt in karate and could probably disarm the assailant better than he could. Should he step back and tell her to do it? No. He should step in front of her and be ready to lay down his life to protect her, irrespective of competency. It is written on his soul. That is what manhood does.

Who cares if she could easily save them both? Who cares if he gets killed? It's his role, not hers. Sorry Daddy's never coming home again, kids, but at least he "did it God's way".

The absolute rules of complementarianism throw common sense right out the window. There's no accounting for ability or unique circumstances or judgment. There's only one correct path for every woman or man, whether it makes sense or not.

• Upvote 6
  • WTF 3

20 minutes ago, Antipatriarch said:

Who cares if she could easily save them both? Who cares if he gets killed? It's his role, not hers. Sorry Daddy's never coming home again, kids, but at least he "did it God's way".

The absolute rules of complementarianism throw common sense right out the window. There's no accounting for ability or unique circumstances or judgment. There's only one correct path for every woman or man, whether it makes sense or not.

"The guy who tried to help her dies, and she's still left to deal with the assailant on her own" sounds like so many church abuse stories right now. The pastor kicked out the elders who were about to hold him accountable, and then stomped all over the congregation and kept molesting the youth group kids.

I hope Piper realizes what awful theology he unleashed on women some day.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 3

6 hours ago, Columbia said:

Take, for instance, this charming vignette from Voddie Baucham in "What He Must Be If He Wants To Marry My Daughter" in which he loses his mind because a father is choosing to stay at home with his children because his wife has a large enough income to make that possible.

Voddie's missive sounds like made-up bullshit to me -- in the vein of "of all the things that didn't happen, this didn't happen the most..." 

These clueless gits seem to think that nothing will ever happen to the marriage.  The patriarch bails out for a younger model, dies, is disabled through injury or illness, succumbs to one addiction or another and suddenly the wife is left alone with a zillion kids and no income. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, Howl said:

These clueless gits seem to think that nothing will ever happen to the marriage.  The patriarch bails out for a younger model, dies, is disabled through injury or illness, succumbs to one addiction or another and suddenly the wife is left alone with a zillion kids and no income. 

Makes you wonder what would happen to Voddie's family if he should suddenly pass away -- as might have occurred when he had his cardiac emergency a couple of years ago. Do they all have dual citizenship such that his widow & minor children could stay in their house in Zambia? Does he have a healthy pension plan or whatever with ACU or his other grifts gigs? 

• Upvote 5

8 hours ago, Columbia said:

image.png

image.png

Also at whoever the lady was who said Voddie doesn't "have a real job" lol.

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 5

4 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

Makes you wonder what would happen to Voddie's family if he should suddenly pass away -- as might have occurred when he had his cardiac emergency a couple of years ago. Do they all have dual citizenship such that his widow & minor children could stay in their house in Zambia? Does he have a healthy pension plan or whatever with ACU or his other grifts gigs? 

He's the only one I've ever heard actually talk about that possibility. In this speech, which I assume was given at a Father-Daughter Retreat:

"What if you end up alone? A lot of women end up alone... Well, she knows that her father is committed to her, so much so that I will take care of her for the rest of her life, if necessary. And make sure that I'm well enough insured so that if I die she's still well taken care of. I do not have in the back of my mind that my job as a father is to get my daughter equipped for the worst case scenario so that she can be a career woman and take care of herself. That's my job. If she gets married, that's her husband's job. "But what if that husband abandons her?" Then it becomes my job again.

I don't think I've ever heard another VF hotshot talk about this chance. Not Doug, not Scott. Geoff would sneer at jobs with pensions in his speeches, as if the men who took those jobs were stooping and grasping at something so miniscule. The only other people I ever heard mention the possibility of abandonment were young women in their speeches (or in So Much More,) which I'm sure is telling, but even then the answers were weak.

• Upvote 5

2 hours ago, Columbia said:

I don't think I've ever heard another VF hotshot talk about this chance.

No, they rarely bring it up and even then gloss over such an eventuality, probably because they believe that bad stuff only happens to other people who are not as godly as they are.

• Upvote 4

That pic of Jennie in a tank top flexing her biceps - I am DYING.  20 years ago, she'd have cut off that arm before she'd post that on the internet. 

I am very curious to know if her oldest daughter went/is going to college.  LOL

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wow!!  Ducky Geoff is so much in love with his own bloviating prose.

Those photos of him in Sudan look like the photos of Matt Chancey for the manliest man contest. Is there a special store where they all buy their costumes clothes?

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1

I love the dismissiveness of a man staying home to care for children and saying "he doesn't work," while at the same time praising women who stay home with their kids.  Which one is it?  Either kids benefit from a parent being home with them, or they don't. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 3

I didn’t think Liberty Philips could get anymore cringe. And then she went and got herself a pair of issued combat boots. Can we start a petition for cadet Kelly to just got ahead and enlist? The worst part is she got dressed, [I’m assuming] looked in the mirror, and thought “Yep! This outfit. This is what I’m wearing today!”

8BBA4178-C071-48C5-8DE9-10C76E3A272F.jpeg

9FD49B97-C06F-448E-A227-7F4A21E1F74D.jpeg

Dougie Someone has been on a posting spree about Israel and Hamas over at the VF FB page:

Once any group or individual takes it upon themselves to be a law unto themselves in their "righteous" cause -- they make up definitions to suit their narrative, fabricate evidence, misrepresent facts, refuse to have rational conversations and dedicate themselves to never ending harassment of others and justification of their own crimes through obfuscation and projection.

The writer is referring to Hamas although that could easily have been written about Vision Forum.

Takes one to know one. 

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 2

There's an interesting little FAQ in the Cinema of Wonder site.

The "Why Now" made me laugh, but the second part is sad. It reminds me of Michael Farris in that Washington Post article shrugging off the "extremes" in the homeschooling circle when in reality he ran wild with them until he decided they might not be convenient any more.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.49ebe9800ee934b002e8ab7b6eb0a08c.png

Also, if whoever is working on that site is still taking requests, here are a trio of doozies from Doug, Esquire, on why women who have ectopic pregnancies should die with their unborn babies.

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 4

1 hour ago, Columbia said:

Also, if whoever is working on that site is still taking requests, here are a trio of doozies from Doug, Esquire, on why women who have ectopic pregnancies should die with their unborn babies.

I forgot about the way Dougie worshipped sexual predator Roy Moore:

DougPhillipsLovesSexualPredators.thumb.jpg.a73f81b7da694f4c732fd12c7f2f4278.jpg

• Upvote 3

They loved Roy Moore so much. I forgot how much influence he had with the VF crowd and how tight he was with Doug. 

There are some blasts from the past in a lot of those pictures that I didn't realize at first. Sarah Wean was one of the young women quoted in So Much More.

Spoiler

image.png.2e699bf52ca8650ffa7681bbf9f8dc12.png

image.thumb.png.702ded14c98bad57d9481894750ca870.png

There was a really long section in the book about their courtship, which was especially important because Sarah's father wasn't involved.

Sarah and Josh divorced a few years later over allegations of abuse.

Spoiler

image.png.02bee173d34e72aee4f4559749a365fa.png

• Sad 1
  • Thank You 8

3 hours ago, Columbia said:

Sarah and Josh divorced a few years later over allegations of abuse.

Yes, the Wean divorce was pretty horrific.

Oh look -- just like the others listed at Cinema of Wonder, Josh also pretends that Vision Forum never happened:

VisionForumNeverheardofit.thumb.png.709e05f10a3d8ea22f709c1bb4daa150.png

It looks like Sarah was able to go to school & become an RN. 

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, hoipolloi said:

Yes, the Wean divorce was pretty horrific.

It looks like Sarah was able to go to school & become an RN. 

It looks like she got fed up pretty quickly (only three kids!) for a fundy -- the whole marriage was maybe 6 - 8 years? He must have been truly obnoxious. 

Glad she was able to get a professional degree.  I wonder what kind of support she had from her family.  I assume there was some, unless she got a very generous amount of child support $$$ from the ex as part of the divorce.  

• Upvote 6

On 10/21/2023 at 12:50 PM, hoipolloi said:

Dougie Someone has been on a posting spree about Israel and Hamas over at the VF FB page:

The writer is referring to Hamas although that could easily have been written about Vision Forum.

Takes one to know one. 

Perhaps Doug should go tell his daughter to tighten up her combat boots and go save the day. It’s easy to have opinions on conflicts when you’re a coward with a keyboard. 

• Upvote 6