IGNORED

Where in the World is Doug Phillips? Part 13

Coconut Flan

My thoughts on why no one from the Phillips family will serve in the real military: they cannot control the narrative. They have created their own utopian system where they are all superlative. They ignore any wrong doings they commit, and instead of choosing humility or apologizing, they will blame anyone and use whoever for a scapegoat. They used their homeschool community to build a bubble to keep out anything that could contradict their illusion. They’re self proclaimed “writers, historians, and educators” whose writing style is absolutely abhorrent, and they educate children by reading from an iPhone while white washing history. 

What happens on day one of boot camp/basic training/etc.? You get told you suck. You aren’t shit. You’re stripped down and rebuilt. You’re not in control of any narrative. Forgot to put the fuel cap back on a bird? Enjoy a chair being thrown at your face 😂 Liberty mentioned in her interview she designed her bridge to history program like a boot camp, I wonder where she drew her experience from 🤔I would pay cash money to see her, or any of her siblings go through a real basic training.

This thought is in addition to others mentioned previously. 

Something I am genuinely curious about though, does Doug actually believe all of the destructive teachings and ideologies he’s spewed through Vision Forum, or did he just see other men in the fundamentalist community making bank and decided to jump on that band wagon to line his pockets?

Edited by ptm6114
  • Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

On 6/30/2023 at 4:41 PM, ptm6114 said:

Something I am genuinely curious about though, does Doug actually believe all of the destructive teachings and ideologies he’s spewed through Vision Forum, or did he just see other men in the fundamentalist community making bank and decided to jump on that band wagon to line his pockets?

The latter, I devoutly ;) believe. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

On 6/30/2023 at 2:41 PM, ptm6114 said:

My thoughts on why no one from the Phillips family will serve in the real military: they cannot control the narrative. They have created their own utopian system where they are all superlative. They ignore any wrong doings they commit, and instead of choosing humility or apologizing, they will blame anyone and use whoever for a scapegoat. They used their homeschool community to build a bubble to keep out anything that could contradict their illusion. They’re self proclaimed “writers, historians, and educators” whose writing style is absolutely abhorrent, and they educate children by reading from an iPhone while white washing history. 

What happens on day one of boot camp/basic training/etc.? You get told you suck. You aren’t shit. You’re stripped down and rebuilt. You’re not in control of any narrative. Forgot to put the fuel cap back on a bird? Enjoy a chair being thrown at your face 😂 Liberty mentioned in her interview she designed her bridge to history program like a boot camp, I wonder where she drew her experience from 🤔I would pay cash money to see her, or any of her siblings go through a real basic training.

This thought is in addition to others mentioned previously. 

I'm sure that's a big part of it. Doug railed against women in the military so much during the VF days (which cracks me up now that his daughter is cosplaying WW2 paratrooper) and when don't ask don't tell was repealed he just about lost his mind. Others in the VF circle (the Botkins) talked about how America's most recent wars weren't constitutional or Biblical, and because of that someone who enlisted would have to refuse their orders and get a dishonorable discharge. But in the end, I'm sure the biggest concern would have been having to take orders from a woman (maybe a gay woman, no less.) No way any of the VF patriarchy-bros would have been able to handle basic training with a woman leading them.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

On 6/30/2023 at 10:41 AM, ptm6114 said:

A perennial question here.

He was definitely raised to believe all of that shite. His late father, Howard Phillips, said as much in an interview with Julie Ingersoll, author of Building God's Kingdom: Inside the World of Christian Reconstruction:

I interviewed Phillips in 2009 for my current book project. He described meeting Rushdoony in the 1970s and hearing what he thought was the best critique of “socialized medicine… entirely based on the Bible.” He attributes his conversion in part to Rushdoony and spent much time with him in the subsequent years. In 1996 at Rushdoony’s 80th birthday party, Phillips predicted that the architect of dominion theology would be the most influential man of the 21st century.

In an interview in 2011 Phillips told Andrea Schwartz of the Chalcedon Foundation that Rushdoony had been his “spiritual father with extraordinary influence on him and his family.” Christian Reconstructionists’ plans for dominion are multigenerational; families are encouraged to build dynasties with 200-year plans and to see their families as central to God’s plan for history.

In that 2009 interview Phillips told me about how he had raised his children on Rushdoony’s taped lectures, playing them in his car.

After the crash of VFI-VFM, Dougʻs own behavior as well as that of his family suggest that these beliefs were not as ingrained as you might think from watching or listening to him back in the day. Then again, so many Christian fundies are clearly just fine with lying and hypocrisy, not to mention criminal behavior. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 3

I was reading through some of the older posts of how the Phillips family were having financial troubles back in 2019 (I think the year is correct). I hope those have been alleviated. I read how Doug practically ditched his kids and it makes even more sense of Liberty's attraction to Jeff. He presents himself as well off and from a wealthy family. However that is not the case. He has about as much as any E8 in the army makes. But constantly complains about child support and not having money for gas to see his kid (but he can pay to drive from NC to Florida and go parachuting with the cosplayers). He, like Doug, is also an absent father. The sad thing is I’m fairly certain he is after Liberty for the sole fact that she’s a “virgin,“ he has made comments as such. I read the screenshot of how Doug said it’s the father’s biblical duty to protect their daughter’s virginity. Which is weird. But what is awful, I’m not sure Doug realizes his teachings have practically left his daughter as bait for abusive men (Jeff). When Jeff is not with Liberty, he pokes fun at her for things such as her endless writing.. how she wrote him a 12 paragraph letter professing her love for him. She FaceTimed him and made him listen to her read it (supposedly). 

Something possibly irrelevant, but something I think is fkd up, a few months ago Jeff was with my friend (his baby mama) and told her something along the lines of the first time he saw her (baby mama), he had this feeling he never experienced before as he had this warm feeling in his loins that filled his entire body, and this feeling is mentioned in the Bible. I say Bible because BM is 10000000% atheist/agnostic. And it was all she could do to not barf when he said it. Jeff was not religious at all when they were engaged and she pinpointed it as a manipulation tactic instantly. Then it hit her that it’s probably something Liberty told to Jeff, and Jeff relayed it to BM trying to love bomb her. Liberty that’s not a biblical feeling lol. That’s called being a 26 year old seggsually frustrated virgin 😬

Edited by ptm6114
  • Upvote 2
  • WTF 1

Just noticed that Liberty didn’t give ol’ Doug a shout out on Father’s Day via her OM Instagram like she did her “mum!” Maybe she’s aware he’s a tool? Or she couldn’t find a cool Father’s Day centered war story on the Google 😂 

Edited by ptm6114
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, ptm6114 said:

Just noticed that Liberty didn’t give ol’ Doug a shout out on Father’s Day via her OM Instagram like she did her “mum!” Maybe she’s aware he’s a tool? Or she couldn’t find a cool Father’s Day centered war story on the Google 😂 

It’s like they all pretend Doug doesn’t exist. And I don’t think it’s because they have no relationship with him. I think they see their dad and communicate with him. But I think they all agree to keep him off of social media. It’s very strange. Because he was so “look at me! look at me!” for so many years. And now he is the opposite. 

• Upvote 7

12 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

It’s like they all pretend Doug doesn’t exist. And I don’t think it’s because they have no relationship with him. I think they see their dad and communicate with him. But I think they all agree to keep him off of social media. It’s very strange. Because he was so “look at me! look at me!” for so many years. And now he is the opposite. 

Apparently they are all living together in an apartment in San Antonio. I wonder if she’s trying to keep his name away from the cheatball train. “Hi I’m Liberty, president and founder of operation meatball. And I live with my rapist father! He is completely innocent, though. The nanny only wanted money and tempted my poor father. Even though he was caught climbing the gutters trying to get into her bedroom. By the way you should totally trust me with your children. I am completely capable of spotting abusive/manipulative people! And my mother did an excellent job of teaching me how not to be a doormat.” 🥴🥴

I’m curious if their friends across the pond are aware of why so many Americans despise that family. 

Edited by ptm6114
  • Upvote 7

11 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I think that's why he started posting on the Facebook VF page again (and I don't doubt that it's him.) It's the only way he's able to get a modicum of the attention he once had in spades.

• Upvote 5

On 7/7/2023 at 8:13 PM, ptm6114 said:

I’m curious if their friends across the pond are aware of why so many Americans despise that family. 

For a while Doug was running around with "Lady Flo," a European burlesque dancer friend of his, and flirting with her on Facebook. I wondered so much how much he told her about himself, and whether she ever Googled his name (or whatever name he gave her) to find out who he was. 

• Upvote 9
  • WTF 1

Did anyone else notice in the court documents of Doug and Lordes, when Doug went to Lourdes’ parent’s house with Beall, and he kept trying to convince Lourdes’ parents to let him talk to Lourdes’ alone and for them to make her keep working for him, Beall burst into tears? To me that says she’s aware and hurt by what her husband is doing. I cannot fathom a woman so weak who would endure what that man has put her through. If she wouldn’t want her daughters to endure that, she needs to be the example and show her daughters how to set strong boundaries and protect themselves. 

They misinterpret enduring toxic men as a strength as Liberty told Jeff something along the lines of “I’m a Phillips, we don’t bug out at the first sign of difficulty.” Apparently men making a fool of the Phillips women not once or twice, but endlessly, is seen as a feat of strength 😬

• Upvote 8
  • Disgust 1
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 1

15 hours ago, Columbia said:

I wondered so much how much he told her about himself, and whether she ever Googled his name (or whatever name he gave her) to find out who he was. 

I wondered this also. He seems to have just shown up to start filming her events and sort of inveigled himself into her good graces for a time. She actually has an academic background in art history and is an extremely talented performer, costumiere, and stage & event manager. Makes Dougie and his VF cosplay shite look incredibly gauche and fake. 

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 1

2 hours ago, ptm6114 said:

They misinterpret enduring toxic men as a strength as Liberty told Jeff something along the lines of “I’m a Phillips, we don’t bug out at the first sign of difficulty.” Apparently men making a fool of the Phillips women not once or twice, but endlessly, is seen as a feat of strength 😬

I don't think there ever was a definition for "toxic men" in Vision Forum. I remember hearing a lot about passive, wimpy, or effeminate men; men who deferred to their wives and let the women in their lives control them. But I don't remember ever hearing about aggression or manipulation, and any talk of predatory sexuality was, of course, directed to secular men outside the VF circle. It further confirms my suspicion that things like that were not seen as a sin, or even as something less than desirable, merely as too much of a good thing.

• Upvote 7
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 3

4 minutes ago, Columbia said:

any talk of predatory sexuality was, of course, directed to secular men outside the VF circle.

And at "Jezebels" as Dougie loved to say.

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

🫣🫣🫣 Doug definitely has Napoleon complex. So jezebel is the blanket statement used by the VF crew to avoid critical thinking and avoid accountability for the atrocities committed within that community. 

On 7/10/2023 at 6:44 PM, Columbia said:

For a while Doug was running around with "Lady Flo," a European burlesque dancer friend of his, and flirting with her on Facebook. I wondered so much how much he told her about himself, and whether she ever Googled his name (or whatever name he gave her) to find out who he was. 

Wasn't that his "Douglas Winston" phase? 

• Haha 2
  • I Agree 1

On 7/11/2023 at 11:59 AM, hoipolloi said:

"Jezebel" and "Mistress Jezi" featured in his poems...

Spoiler

The Patriarch

More noble than the valiant deeds of shining knights of yore,
More powerful than earthly plights that make the rich man poor,
More kingly than a royal throne or a lion with his pride,
Is he whose babes sleep well at night sure Daddy will provide.

There is a spirit in this land and Jezebel’s her name.
She’s calling you to leave your home for power, fun, and fame.
She wants your wife, your children too — she’ll never compromise,
Until your house is torn in two by listening to her lies.

But though a hundred thousand million men may fall prey to her lures,
And wives en masse leave home in search of “more fulfilling” chores,
Though preachers praise, and friends embrace, her pagan plan of death,
Stand strong and quit you like a man with every blessed breath.

Stand strong and rise, O man of God, to meet this noble call,
The battle is not new you see, it’s been here since the Fall.

Your wife is your helpmeet, my friend, and not another man’s,
So care for her and keep her far from Mistress Jezi’s plans.
Protect, provide, and give to her your undivided life,
This is the dear one of your youth, your precious bride, your wife.

And rally to those tiny ones who trust you for their care —
A lifetime spent discipling them’s a lifetime pure and rare.
For when they put their hand in yours and know a Daddy’s love,
You’re showing them a picture of the Father from above.

Look not toward worldly goal or gain, or for your liberty,
Look only into their sweet eyes to find your ministry.
Devote your heart and sacrifice and make your manly mark —
There is none so great as he who finds his call as patriarch.

... but my favorite was "Mistress Amazonia."

Spoiler

The Daughter of Destiny (for Hannah Zes on her graduation)

“Long before the present battle
There was prophesied a day
Tinkling words, impov’rished prattle
Itching ears to hearts would sway.

In that day of broken marriage.
Femininity’s demise,
Ladies lost their life and carriage.
All were ‘smart’, but none were wise.

Rose up Mistress Amazonia
Warring woman lead with mirth.
Most forgot the Pauline proverb,
‘She’ll be saved through childbirth.’

Off to war went the daughters.
Left behind the men and babes.
Noble womanhood was slaughtered.
Craving freedom, became slaves.

Rise up Hannah – listen, hear it!
Maidenhood’s the royal throne,
Of those women, true of spirit,
Loving heaven, hearth, and home.

Rise up Hannah – others follow
You will not proceed alone
And the victory’s not hollow
When the truth is set in stone.

From the ashes of a culture
That knew God, but now knows none
Generations rose to prosper,
Forged by light from His true Son.

Taught at home, but raised for warfare,
Not the steel and fleshy kind,
But the battle that is more fair,
When the Spirit girds the mind.

Now there stands a breed of woman
Strong of mind, content of heart.
Cherishing the ancient virtues,
And from them will not depart:

Love of truth, and love of mother;
Purity; the Word of God;
Holiness to one another,
Homes to build, and keep, and laud.

Rise up Hannah – here’s God’s token,
That your youth has passed the test.
Three-fold strands will not be broken.
In the sisters’ friendship rest.

Rise up Hannah – happy sister.
Sarah’s friend, Rebecca’s love,
Sisters three, your God has given
Tender hearts knit from above.

Stand they now this generation
Birthed by hearts which turned to home;
Fathers who have changed direction
Mothers who no longer roam.

And the future is a bright one,
If to vision you will cleave
And will not trade God’s truth for some
Mess of pottage known as ease.

Prepare to hear the heathen grumble,
Steel yourself to their complaint
Cynics moan and basely mumble
Gnash their teeth, but they will faint.

They will faint, and will not follow
For you tread the narrow road.
And its tread will chew and swallow
Selfish seeds unjustly sewn.

In the end, the Lord will vanquish
Vanquish them but vindicate
All who love Christ’s ancient order
And enter in the narrow gate.

Rise up Hannah – faithful daughter.
Onward Maiden to the quest.
You who called your mother blessed,
Someday shall in kind be blessed.

Rise up Hannah – to your station!
Daughter fair of destiny.
Light the path for generations.
Raise the torch of liberty.

• Eyeroll 1
  • WTF 2
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Columbia said:

"Jezebel" and "Mistress Jezi" featured in his poems...

Reveal hidden contents

The Patriarch

More noble than the valiant deeds of shining knights of yore,
More powerful than earthly plights that make the rich man poor,
More kingly than a royal throne or a lion with his pride,
Is he whose babes sleep well at night sure Daddy will provide.

There is a spirit in this land and Jezebel’s her name.
She’s calling you to leave your home for power, fun, and fame.
She wants your wife, your children too — she’ll never compromise,
Until your house is torn in two by listening to her lies.

But though a hundred thousand million men may fall prey to her lures,
And wives en masse leave home in search of “more fulfilling” chores,
Though preachers praise, and friends embrace, her pagan plan of death,
Stand strong and quit you like a man with every blessed breath.

Stand strong and rise, O man of God, to meet this noble call,
The battle is not new you see, it’s been here since the Fall.

Your wife is your helpmeet, my friend, and not another man’s,
So care for her and keep her far from Mistress Jezi’s plans.
Protect, provide, and give to her your undivided life,
This is the dear one of your youth, your precious bride, your wife.

And rally to those tiny ones who trust you for their care —
A lifetime spent discipling them’s a lifetime pure and rare.
For when they put their hand in yours and know a Daddy’s love,
You’re showing them a picture of the Father from above.

Look not toward worldly goal or gain, or for your liberty,
Look only into their sweet eyes to find your ministry.
Devote your heart and sacrifice and make your manly mark —
There is none so great as he who finds his call as patriarch.

... but my favorite was "Mistress Amazonia."

Reveal hidden contents

The Daughter of Destiny (for Hannah Zes on her graduation)

“Long before the present battle
There was prophesied a day
Tinkling words, impov’rished prattle
Itching ears to hearts would sway.

In that day of broken marriage.
Femininity’s demise,
Ladies lost their life and carriage.
All were ‘smart’, but none were wise.

Rose up Mistress Amazonia
Warring woman lead with mirth.
Most forgot the Pauline proverb,
‘She’ll be saved through childbirth.’

Off to war went the daughters.
Left behind the men and babes.
Noble womanhood was slaughtered.
Craving freedom, became slaves.

Rise up Hannah – listen, hear it!
Maidenhood’s the royal throne,
Of those women, true of spirit,
Loving heaven, hearth, and home.

Rise up Hannah – others follow
You will not proceed alone
And the victory’s not hollow
When the truth is set in stone.

From the ashes of a culture
That knew God, but now knows none
Generations rose to prosper,
Forged by light from His true Son.

Taught at home, but raised for warfare,
Not the steel and fleshy kind,
But the battle that is more fair,
When the Spirit girds the mind.

Now there stands a breed of woman
Strong of mind, content of heart.
Cherishing the ancient virtues,
And from them will not depart:

Love of truth, and love of mother;
Purity; the Word of God;
Holiness to one another,
Homes to build, and keep, and laud.

Rise up Hannah – here’s God’s token,
That your youth has passed the test.
Three-fold strands will not be broken.
In the sisters’ friendship rest.

Rise up Hannah – happy sister.
Sarah’s friend, Rebecca’s love,
Sisters three, your God has given
Tender hearts knit from above.

Stand they now this generation
Birthed by hearts which turned to home;
Fathers who have changed direction
Mothers who no longer roam.

And the future is a bright one,
If to vision you will cleave
And will not trade God’s truth for some
Mess of pottage known as ease.

Prepare to hear the heathen grumble,
Steel yourself to their complaint
Cynics moan and basely mumble
Gnash their teeth, but they will faint.

They will faint, and will not follow
For you tread the narrow road.
And its tread will chew and swallow
Selfish seeds unjustly sewn.

In the end, the Lord will vanquish
Vanquish them but vindicate
All who love Christ’s ancient order
And enter in the narrow gate.

Rise up Hannah – faithful daughter.
Onward Maiden to the quest.
You who called your mother blessed,
Someday shall in kind be blessed.

Rise up Hannah – to your station!
Daughter fair of destiny.
Light the path for generations.
Raise the torch of liberty.

Dang Doug, that’s an overly dramatic, drawn out way to say “I’m a tiny man and my biggest fear is free thinking, educated, and strong women!”

• Haha 6
  • I Agree 2

11 hours ago, ptm6114 said:

Dang Doug, that’s an overly dramatic, drawn out way to say “I’m a tiny man and my biggest fear is free thinking, educated, and strong women!”

He loved this one for his Titanic dress up parties. Either women get to make their own choices, or they get to have men protect them (when the men see fit.) There's no third ground.

Of course, we all saw just how well VF women are "protected" by patriarchy.

image.thumb.png.10972f61b16213597fb2c43a5299d55b.png

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1

Beall, who has a college degree, has settled for some fairly basic caregiving work to keep herself and the kids afloat. At one point she couldn't even afford some very basic repairs for her car. 

She is qualified for more challenging jobs, but perhaps she's still stuck in the mentality that women are caregivers and can't undertake any sort of work that seems like a "career".  

• Upvote 5

7 hours ago, Columbia said:

He loved this one for his Titanic dress up parties. Either women get to make their own choices, or they get to have men protect them (when the men see fit.) There's no third ground.

Of course, we all saw just how well VF women are "protected" by patriarchy.

image.thumb.png.10972f61b16213597fb2c43a5299d55b.png

So appropriate given many of the men on the Titanic didn’t exactly prioritize the women.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, noseybutt said:

So appropriate given many of the men on the Titanic didn’t exactly prioritize the women.

I would give a great deal to hear Doug "Dabney is my homeboy" Phillips explain how patriarchy protects women, and also how enslaved women were the sexual property of their enslavers or were paired up with enslaved men to produce children. (Ironically enough, Jasmine Holmes, née Baucham is doing a bunch of educating on Black history on her Instagram, and it's really well researched.) I'm sure there would have been plenty of excuses, but it would be worth it to see him tie himself in knots trying to come up with them, especially with his buddy Voddie on stage next to him. The only Vision Forum man I can think of who has ever protected a woman is Benjamin Botkin, and I'm sure it cost him dearly and probably changed his views about patriarchy.

• Upvote 4

• 3 weeks later...

I was watching a rerun of “Judge Judy” yesterday, and who was the plaintiff in a case?  Yup, Lourdes Torres.  She won her case against an ex who borrowed several thousand dollars from her and of course, didn’t pay her back.

• Upvote 7
  • Rufus Bless 2
  • Thank You 1

39 minutes ago, Granwych said:

I was watching a rerun of “Judge Judy” yesterday, and who was the plaintiff in a case?  Yup, Lourdes Torres.  She won her case against an ex who borrowed several thousand dollars from her and of course, didn’t pay her back.

Previous FJ discussion of this, from when it first was aired:

• Thank You 3

21 hours ago, thoughtful said:

Previous FJ discussion of this, from when it first was aired:

Right!   I hadn’t seen it the first time it aired.  The ex boyfriend seemed eager to tell all about how Lourdes had come into the money she lent to him, but Judge Judy didn’t get into the details.   

• Upvote 1