IGNORED

Bontragers/Bowers/Helferichs 11: Get Your Christofascism Here Folks!

nelliebelle1197

what is weird to me about the brother worship is that there are girls who are forced to “mother” younger brothers and then when they get a pick older they have to follow their lead. It’s like they changed a kids diaper and then later have to take orders from them. 

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 3

I don’t understand this post. She’s 15.5 and won’t be 16 for months. If they had done this on her 16th or 18th birthday, maybe I would understand. So the only thing I can think of is celebrating her first period. Which is fine. But don’t post about it. 

C563E352-D2D2-4F9E-82BB-F2C146635BD2.jpeg

• Upvote 1
  • Disgust 2
  • WTF 10

So they are celebrating Rebecca's first monthly visitor?  Oh how gross.  Not trying to thread drift but 15.5 years is kind of old to be getting your first period.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SPHASH said:

So they are celebrating Rebecca's first monthly visitor?  Oh how gross.  Not trying to thread drift but 15.5 years is kind of old to be getting your first period.

That's just an assumption.  This could just be a typical age for a blessing ceremony.  For example Jewish girls have a Bat Mitzvah at 12 or 13 to celebrate entering adulthood regardless of whether they have their period or not. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, SPHASH said:

I was 16.5 when I had my first period. My mother was also older when she started. My period was perfectly regular until I turned 53. It slowed to every 3 months  and then stopped when I turned 54.  

I never had any super annoying menopause symptoms and feel very lucky about that. Most of my friends complained a lot about headaches, hot flashes, mood swings,etc

• Upvote 2

It has nothing to do with menstruation. The Bontragers have long been into faux Bar and Bat Mitzvahs for their kids. Have no idea how they made this a tradition, since I don't think its a Mennonite-or Independent Baptist--thing.

I don't think their church is involved, I think self-appointed Rev. Marlon presides over the proceedings.  I have no idea if purity rings are involved.

Past examples:

https://bontragerfamilysingers.com/taylors-blessing-ceremony 

https://bontragerfamilysingers.com/joshuas-bar-mitzvah

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 9

51 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

It has nothing to do with menstruation. The Bontragers have long been into faux Bar and Bat Mitzvahs for their kids. Have no idea how they made this a tradition, since I don't think its a Mennonite-or Independent Baptist--thing.

I don't think their church is involved, I think self-appointed Rev. Marlon presides over the proceedings.  I have no idea if purity rings are involved.

Past examples:

So weird since she’s 15.5 and long past her 13th birthday. 

• Upvote 9

1 hour ago, HereticHick said:

Past examples:

One additional link that further explains their reasoning: https://bontragerfamilysingers.com/denvers-blessing-ceremony

I don't think it's a weird idea, but I don't like how they refer to it as a bar/bat mitzvah.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

Since they're Christians, they could call it a confirmation. 😜

(Yes, I can guess their thoughts on churches that do confirmation. Hence the 😜.)

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 5
  • I Agree 1

So they are just appropriating Jewish traditions. Not surprising at all. Fundies seem to love to pick and choose the Jewish traditions they like and Chuck the rest. Sort of like their Christianity. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 2

On 5/10/2023 at 2:41 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

So they are just appropriating Jewish traditions. Not surprising at all. Fundies seem to love to pick and choose the Jewish traditions they like and Chuck the rest. Sort of like their Christianity. 

Yup. Really, really, really inappropriate and offensive.

• Upvote 14

5 hours ago, DJ1234 said:

Yup. Really, really, really inappropriate and offensive.

And also just really wrong. Like they haven’t even appropriated it well. They took the name and maybe a general idea but what they are doing isn’t even close to a bar or bag mitzvah. It’s like they heard of the tradition and didn’t even look into anything about it and just made up how it should go 

• Upvote 8

1 hour ago, ElizaB said:

And also just really wrong. Like they haven’t even appropriated it well. They took the name and maybe a general idea but what they are doing isn’t even close to a bar or bag mitzvah. It’s like they heard of the tradition and didn’t even look into anything about it and just made up how it should go 

My opinion is that they should just do it on their 16th birthday and leave all the Jewish appropriation out of it. A kid’s 16th birthday is usually a big deal in all households. They could have just a blessing for the 16th birthday and make a party out of it. No appropriation necessary. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 2

Anybody else wondering who the two dudes in the hats and the blonde girl and the brunette are? Guessing maybe two random ATI guys?

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, SwimmerBoy29 said:

Anybody else wondering who the two dudes in the hats and the blonde girl and the brunette are? Guessing maybe two random ATI guys?

They look like Caldwells and a Swanson, but that's a guess.

• Upvote 1

Yeah since that’s Lauren Swanson’s younger sister, I was assuming the boys were her brothers. But it’s hard to see the face of the boy in the back. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Yeah since that’s Lauren Swanson’s younger sister, I was assuming the boys were her brothers. But it’s hard to see the face of the boy in the back. 

The boys and the other girl look more like Kendra. I thought they might be Caldwells.

• Upvote 2

I think the backwards hat guy on the left might be a Swanson- I might be off but if you look at their page on the fundie wiki he could definitely be the brother on the right with the blue shirt and the bow tie.

Liz is really going all in on half-baked nutrition advice.

image.png.03cfeed5fd58cef3dd0bb584bc4ef5bd.png

• Rufus Bless 1
  • Eyeroll 8

10 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

Liz is really going all in on half-baked nutrition advice.

image.png.03cfeed5fd58cef3dd0bb584bc4ef5bd.png

I think this sort of thing is pretty common amongst not just fundies but the mlm snake oil salesmen. She sells essential oils and probably just reshares a bunch of stuff she sees shared by other fundies and oil Huns. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 9

Allison always seems super desperate to convince herself and everyone else that she's in love with her husband.

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 26

Eesh. This sounds like one of those women’s magazines from the 50s that advised women to listen to their husband and not bother him with her so-called petty problems. This after taking care of small children all day. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 12

7 hours ago, HereticHick said:

Allison always seems super desperate to convince herself and everyone else that she's in love with her husband.

and that he's in love with her. They could be amazing together, but it doesn't come across that way. I don't get the sense they would have married if they weren't fundies from families that push marriage. If they weren't fundie, I think both of them would be single by choice or at least he would. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 12

• Coconut Flan locked this topic