IGNORED

Bontragers/Bowers/Helferichs 11: Get Your Christofascism Here Folks!

nelliebelle1197

1 hour ago, hollyandivy said:

Because they are all indoctrinated with the same bs.

They absolutely are, yet I don't remember Chelsy sounding like that. Maybe because she really enjoyed her 'season of singleness'. To me it always seemed as if Alison needed to convince and reassure herself A LOT.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 3

I think Chelsy may have gone through some stuff when single because she mentioned a break up right before meeting John. But I don’t think Chelsy aired her depressing times as much as Allison. That girl just let it all out on her social media. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 7
  • Rufus Bless 1

On 2/1/2023 at 7:15 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

I really really hate this. Some crappy mlm essential oils won’t cure your hormone problems. I’m so tired of oil shillers telling people they cure just about everything under the sun. Modern day snake oil.

01F99F7E-CECE-4208-B0FB-C5CCAF682938.jpeg

Isn’t it funny how these fundi girls who believe women shouldn’t work and marry such “manly men” and “wonderful providers” still work their butts off trying to sell their mlm products? 

that being said I always thought allison did a really good job working at the inn and running the bonts social media. I think had she been allowed to go to college she could have a very successful business career. i know in her mind she wanted to be married and had a lot of mental struggles because she wasn’t. However, I wonder if she was actually struggling because she wasn’t being professionally challenged enough. 

• Upvote 15

13 minutes ago, ElizaB said:

Isn’t it funny how these fundi girls who believe women shouldn’t work and marry such “manly men” and “wonderful providers” still work their butts off trying to sell their mlm products? 

that being said I always thought allison did a really good job working at the inn and running the bonts social media. I think had she been allowed to go to college she could have a very successful business career. i know in her mind she wanted to be married and had a lot of mental struggles because she wasn’t. However, I wonder if she was actually struggling because she wasn’t being professionally challenged enough. 

The thing is, Amish have a built in work ethic. I don’t actually think it’s healthy. But that’s another debate. But since the Bonts come from Amish, they all still have that extreme work ethic built into them. Which makes me think a lot of the girls would have done really well in college. Because they know how to work hard. I also think they would have done well in the working world as well. Because they are willing to put in the hours. However the girls are forced to be stay at home moms and hope their husbands can provide. I’m a stay at home mom too so I’m not putting it down. But I do think some of them would have enjoyed working a job and having kids if they had the opportunity. 

• Upvote 13

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

The thing is, Amish have a built in work ethic. I don’t actually think it’s healthy. But that’s another debate. But since the Bonts come from Amish, they all still have that extreme work ethic built into them. Which makes me think a lot of the girls would have done really well in college. Because they know how to work hard. I also think they would have done well in the working world as well. Because they are willing to put in the hours. However the girls are forced to be stay at home moms and hope their husbands can provide. I’m a stay at home mom too so I’m not putting it down. But I do think some of them would have enjoyed working a job and having kids if they had the opportunity. 

I can’t agree enough. I think a lot of these girls, including Allison and possibly Chelsy, would be happier if they had been allowed a year or two of college and/or a part-time job while raising a family. It wouldn’t have to be a career-path job. Even 10 hours a week working retail would do wonders for their sense of self-worth. 

Watching many of these families is like watching couples from my grandparents’ (came of age in the Depression) or parents’ (came of age late 50s-early 60s) generations. For my grandparents, it was a matter of pride that the wives didn’t have to work, and kids were more or less mandatory. However, at least one of my grandmothers would have led a much happier life if she had held a job. Ironically, she was the grandparent who thought her grandchildren hadn’t fulfilled their life’s purpose when they didn’t marry and reproduce.

By my parents’ generation, the women had at least some college and could work until they got pregnant, but then they were forced to quit. Many of them also went back to work once their kids were old enough to manage on their own. In addition, if the marriage didn’t work, they were more likely to divorce (even though there was a stigma attached), rather than hang on in a miserable marriage like my grandparents’ generation. I sometimes feel like shaking these fundy girls and saying “Society has moved on since the 30s! You can choose your life path! Education, work, stay-at-home mom life and kids aren’t mutually exclusive!”

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 1

1 minute ago, postscript said:

I can’t agree enough. I think a lot of these girls, including Allison and possibly Chelsy, would be happier if they had been allowed a year or two of college and/or a part-time job while raising a family. It wouldn’t have to be a career-path job. Even 10 hours a week working retail would do wonders for their sense of self-worth. 

Watching many of these families is like watching couples from my grandparents’ (came of age in the Depression) or parents’ (came of age late 50s-early 60s) generations. For my grandparents, it was a matter of pride that the wives didn’t have to work, and kids were more or less mandatory. However, at least one of my grandmothers would have led a much happier life if she had held a job. Ironically, she was the grandparent who thought her grandchildren hadn’t fulfilled their life’s purpose when they didn’t marry and reproduce.

By my parents’ generation, the women had at least some college and could work until they got pregnant, but then they were forced to quit. Many of them also went back to work once their kids were old enough to manage on their own. In addition, if the marriage didn’t work, they were more likely to divorce (even though there was a stigma attached), rather than hang on in a miserable marriage like my grandparents’ generation. I sometimes feel like shaking these fundy girls and saying “Society has moved on since the 30s! You can choose your life path! Education, work, stay-at-home mom life and kids aren’t mutually exclusive!”

My dad’s mom was a very social person. Like about as social as a human being can be, lol. She also wasn’t the type who enjoyed getting dirty or messy. She always looked fabulous. However she had 4 kids. And changing diapers, wiping snotty noses, and picking up toys just wasn’t her thing. She would have been much happier working in a very social job and having just one or no kids at all. She was so much fun to be around and everyone who knew her adored her. She was funny, quick witted, made friends with everyone, and always wanted to buy you gifts or pay for your dinner. However she was born at a time where you were expected to be a SAHM and have multiple kids. After her kids moved out, she got a job she loved because she got to meet tons of new people and be the social butterfly she was always meant to be. 

BTW, I’m the opposite of my grandma and I’m an introverted awkward weirdo 😝 but because of that, I loved being around her. I love being around people so unlike myself. 

• Upvote 13
  • Thank You 1

On 2/3/2023 at 12:31 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

My dad’s mom was a very social person. Like about as social as a human being can be, lol. She also wasn’t the type who enjoyed getting dirty or messy. She always looked fabulous. However she had 4 kids. And changing diapers, wiping snotty noses, and picking up toys just wasn’t her thing. She would have been much happier working in a very social job and having just one or no kids at all. She was so much fun to be around and everyone who knew her adored her. She was funny, quick witted, made friends with everyone, and always wanted to buy you gifts or pay for your dinner. However she was born at a time where you were expected to be a SAHM and have multiple kids. After her kids moved out, she got a job she loved because she got to meet tons of new people and be the social butterfly she was always meant to be. 

BTW, I’m the opposite of my grandma and I’m an introverted awkward weirdo 😝 but because of that, I loved being around her. I love being around people so unlike myself. 

I feel so badly for women of my mother's generation (She was born in the late 1920's) who rarely had choices. My mother actually loved children and really wanted the four that she had. But me? Yikes! I knew from very young that I wanted at most one child. I loved every level of education from kindergarten through graduate school, and would have been totally miserable and a misfit if stuck in the life of a Bon or Rod girl. I had the best of both worlds for me: one great kid and a career I've enjoyed for forty years. 

Edited by Caroline
  • Upvote 10

51 minutes ago, SPHASH said:

When did Josh and Cassidy have their third kid?  I don't remember hearing about it.

Marlin and Curtis both announced having two new grandkids born last summer. They announced the births without saying who the parents were. It's just generally been announced that both Bonwers couples have three kids.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

The bowers Bontrager sisters are on a similar pattern for pregnancy. Their middle ones were a few months apart but their third babies were born this past summer. We have no idea of the sexes or names. 

• Upvote 4

Just now, JermajestyDuggar said:

The bowers Bontrager sisters are on a similar pattern for pregnancy. Their middle ones were a few months apart but their third babies were born this past summer. We have no idea of the sexes or names. 

The January 6th stuff is moving through the courts slowly but surely. I wonder if Josh and Carson have been subpoenaed. 

• Upvote 7

1 hour ago, CaptainFunderpants said:

The January 6th stuff is moving through the courts slowly but surely. I wonder if Josh and Carson have been subpoenaed. 

They were definitely there. But there were never pictures posted of them going inside. I’m guessing they stayed outside. However I bet they were contacted because they were outside and posted plenty of public pictures of themselves outside of the capital. So they were likely questioned about that and it probably scared them. And I bet that’s why they went silent. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

I love the way fundy homeschoolers think they are letting their kids learn by "experiencing life" and the rest of us--don't, somehow. 

• Upvote 26

6 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

I love the way fundy homeschoolers think they are letting their kids learn by "experiencing life" and the rest of us--don't, somehow. 

Exactly. My kids learn in public school but don’t stop learning when they are let out of school at 3pm. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 4

This is one of the dumbest things I’ve ever seen. I’ve been to plenty of doctors and none have said anything even close to this. A perfect example of their lack of science education. 

58329CE4-F71C-4AC7-A3EA-C53E9F15EF04.jpeg

• Angry 1
  • Disgust 3
  • Eyeroll 7
  • WTF 10

Science isn't a subject you can just wing. I have no idea what the Bontragers consider learning science by hand. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

6 hours ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

Science isn't a subject you can just wing. I have no idea what the Bontragers consider learning science by hand. 

I bet they think you can learn science by using essential oils when you get sick 🙄

• Upvote 9
  • Eyeroll 1

8 minutes ago, PlentyOfJesusFishInTheSea said:

Taking care of livestock is biology, obviously!

Yup. And baking sour dough bread qualifies as advanced chemistry. Stacking their instruments in the van is probably a physics lesson.

Don't get me wrong - you can learn all kinds of stuff by doing daily tasks, including the practical application of some scientific principles. In fact, that's what our heathen kids do, too, when we bake and cook and do chores with them. But none of this replaces proper science lessons where you actually learn to understand said principles. It just doesn't.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 6

2 hours ago, Nothing if not critical said:

Yup. And baking sour dough bread qualifies as advanced chemistry. Stacking their instruments in the van is probably a physics lesson.

Don't get me wrong - you can learn all kinds of stuff by doing daily tasks, including the practical application of some scientific principles. In fact, that's what our heathen kids do, too, when we bake and cook and do chores with them. But none of this replaces proper science lessons where you actually learn to understand said principles. It just doesn't.

It’s the Nic Nog school of learning. And we all know how that worked out for them….

• Upvote 3

My farm kids learn a lot of practical science just by doing.  My teenage boys have been doing artificial insemination on our heifers for years.  In addition to the reproductive system, they've learned about nutrition from daily feeding and changing rations when cows develop health issues or start to grow thin.  They know the importance of using vaccinations and dealing with health issues when they arise.  They've helped the vet with surgery for twisted stomach or when a cow pushes out her uterus.  They have also helped gut deer during hunting season.  

They help plant, learning the importance of seeds per acre and how close the rows and seeds need to be.  How long does it take to germinate?  The importance of herbicide in weed control and how it affects yield during harvest.  They've helped cut branches on the edge of fields, and they've seen that lack of sunshine affects plant growth.  

They've seen their dad agonize about expenses and where to spend money when things are tight.  Can we make that piece of equipment suffice for another year or is it time to replace it?  Do we take the plunge and invest financially looking toward a future or do we patch and make do? Fertilizer has doubled.  Can we do with less or do we take out a bigger loan?

We homeschool.  My kids do science every year.  They also SEE science in action every single day.  I doubt very highly that anyone can run a successful dairy farm without learning/knowing very detailed agricultural science. 

• Upvote 11

On 2/11/2023 at 5:16 AM, JermajestyDuggar said:

This is one of the dumbest things I’ve ever seen. I’ve been to plenty of doctors and none have said anything even close to this. A perfect example of their lack of science education. 

58329CE4-F71C-4AC7-A3EA-C53E9F15EF04.jpeg

Given that a large part of their culture seems to revolve around how kids are born in Original Sin (ie defective) and have to have the crap beaten out of them to stay on the straight and narrow... I find the use of this meme somewhat odd.

Also I invariably want to answer the question "are you sure this [common thing] is right for my kid?" With "why do you think your child will not benefit from this when billions of other children have?"

• Upvote 5

"We do a variety.  Math U See(math). Abeka(English)
We've done some Apologia for science although most of our science is hands on life
stuff".      (bolding mine)

Ah yes. A degree in "life" from the school of hard knocks. 

• Upvote 6

• Coconut Flan locked this topic