IGNORED

Bontragers/Bowers/Helferichs 11: Get Your Christofascism Here Folks!

nelliebelle1197

53 minutes ago, browngrl said:

"We do a variety.  Math U See(math). Abeka(English)
We've done some Apologia for science although most of our science is hands on life
stuff".      (bolding mine)

Ah yes. A degree in "life" from the school of hard knocks. 

Yet fundies love to protect their kids from the real world at the same time. 

• Upvote 7

I wonder if their dislike of vaccines includes their cattle. I don’t know a lot about farming but I think most cattle are vaccinated or a herd can be wiped out pretty quickly. 

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, ElizaB said:

I wonder if their dislike of vaccines includes their cattle. I don’t know a lot about farming but I think most cattle are vaccinated or a herd can be wiped out pretty quickly. 

Oh I bet they give their animals shots of it means making money. They wouldn’t risk losing a ton of cows just because of vaccines. But I imagine they do the bare minimum vaccines when it comes to their livestock. 

• Upvote 9

Per their (public) Instagram stories, the Bontragers are cutting their tour short to head home to Iowa. Marlin’s mother has been diagnosed with a terminal illness. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 12
  • Thank You 6

I'm glad they're heading home to be with her. The tour is such an ego trip of "preaching to the converted"; it's really unnecessary that they keep it up.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 4

3 hours ago, BigSandy said:

I'm glad they're heading home to be with her. The tour is such an ego trip of "preaching to the converted"; it's really unnecessary that they keep it up.

I agree. It’s an unnecessary ego stroke for Marlin. They are literally preaching to the choir everywhere they go. They make money from the farm and motel. They probably don’t need the tour donations. I bet they could live off of the money they make at home. 

• Upvote 6

43 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I agree. It’s an unnecessary ego stroke for Marlin. They are literally preaching to the choir everywhere they go. They make money from the farm and motel. They probably don’t need the tour donations. I bet they could live off of the money they make at home. 

I wonder how much (if any) money they're actually making from touring, considering the expense of carting the whole family around in the bus, the fact that someone else has to do the farm work in the mean time, and so on. Can't imagine singing in fundie churches really pays that well, but maybe I'm misjudging it completely.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3

On 2/19/2023 at 4:24 PM, usmcmom said:

Per their (public) Instagram stories, the Bontragers are cutting their tour short to head home to Iowa. Marlin’s mother has been diagnosed with a terminal illness. 

Quoting myself to clarify something. The word “diagnosed” was not used in the original IG post I mentioned. It was worded rather strangely; something like “…has a terminal medical issue.” I just wanted to be clear because a diagnosis makes me think physicians were involved in ongoing care. I have no idea if that is the case or not. I think my original post implied a lot more than I meant for it to. 

Newer posts show that the rest of the tour is cancelled.  Sadly, Marlin’s mother has experienced a lot of pain; however, she has been able to sleep some. 

• Thank You 7

15 hours ago, usmcmom said:

Quoting myself to clarify something. The word “diagnosed” was not used in the original IG post I mentioned. It was worded rather strangely; something like “…has a terminal medical issue.” I just wanted to be clear because a diagnosis makes me think physicians were involved in ongoing care. I have no idea if that is the case or not. I think my original post implied a lot more than I meant for it to. 

Where do you see that? I just see the Insta reel that says "Grandma is dying"

image.png.02de7326b751569422512433287055ba.png

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

On 2/21/2023 at 12:12 PM, HereticHick said:

Where do you see that? I just see the Insta reel that says "Grandma is dying"

image.png.02de7326b751569422512433287055ba.png

It was part of their IG stories a few days ago. Stories disappear after 24 hours; so I wasn’t able to go back and get a screenshot. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

Since their grandmother passed away, I’m guessing there will be a funeral within a few days. I wonder if they will go back in the road after the funeral. It wouldn’t surprise me if they did. 

The Collingsworths are infinitely more successful as a family singing group and even they let their youngest stay home instead of touring because she just got married. These family fundie bands are so strange. I would love to be a fly on the wall when they are talking about who is leaving and getting married. 

• Upvote 8

18 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

Who is this baby Cherith (sic) that Liz just posted?

image.png.c6867514fc6f1ff6e5c7304fd9270a64.png

Since they are very good about not posting the Bontrager/Boner kids, I’m guessing it’s the baby of a family friend or cousin. 

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, HereticHick said:

Who is this baby Cherith (sic) that Liz just posted?

image.png.c6867514fc6f1ff6e5c7304fd9270a64.png

Who the fuck names their baby Cherith??? It just sounds like Cherish with a lisp.

• Upvote 5
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Haha 5
  • I Agree 2

Since a funeral is in the close future will Marlin go into a rant about everything that is wrong with the world like he does at weddings.  Which grandma was it anyway.

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, EmiSue said:

Who the fuck names their baby Cherith??? It just sounds like Cherish with a lisp.

I’ve definitely heard it in fundie circles. It’s not one of my faves. I would want to nickname her Cherry. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, SPHASH said:

Since a funeral is in the close future will Marlin go into a rant about everything that is wrong with the world like he does at weddings.  Which grandma was it anyway.

It was his mom. Ugh I hope not! Way to make a funeral even worse - a Marlin rant!

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, EmiSue said:

Exactly! Its like Donald Duck as an officiant.

" for better, for worth, for richer, for poorer, in thickness and in health, to love and to cherith, until parted by death."

• Rufus Bless 1
  • Haha 12

27 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

Exactly! Its like Donald Duck as an officiant.

" for better, for worth, for richer, for poorer, in thickness and in health, to love and to cherith, until parted by death."

"Now Steve, you know the world wants to hear about your vasectomy reversal again. Get on up here!"

• Haha 8

I wonder how many of the family will go home for the funeral. I'm sure Chelsy will post about it (eventually) if they go. Allison posted some "desired housewife" post today, but nothing so far about her grandpa. I wonder if they'll go. For some reason Allison always seems to me like she's trying way to hard to convince herself that she's right where she wants to be.

• I Agree 6

7 hours ago, BigSandy said:

I wonder how many of the family will go home for the funeral. I'm sure Chelsy will post about it (eventually) if they go. Allison posted some "desired housewife" post today, but nothing so far about her grandpa grandma.I wonder if they'll go. For some reason Allison always seems to me like she's trying way to hard to convince herself that she's right where she wants to be.

It was Marlin's mother Salina Bontrager. According to her obit, she was 88 years old. It mentions that her husband predeceased her.  She seems to have been an evangelical as the obit mentions she was saved at a revival at a young age. Here is a link to the full obit. 

Edited by Bluebirdbluebell
  • Thank You 8

I think most of the family will be there for the funeral. I’m pretty sure Chelsy really loved this particular grandma. If she lived near the Bonts, all the kids probably grew up with her and will want to attend the funeral. 

• Upvote 3
  • Rufus Bless 1

On 2/23/2023 at 5:01 PM, EmiSue said:

Cherith is from the Hebrew name Kerit, which was a brook where the prophet Elijah hid. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 3

• Coconut Flan locked this topic