IGNORED

Bontragers/Bowers/Helferichs 11: Get Your Christofascism Here Folks!

nelliebelle1197

6 minutes ago, Katzchen24 said:

And not another Bont/Bowers match either. 

It’s definitely possible since there are so many single Bowers boys already (Christian, Charlie, and Carver). 

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1

On 3/1/2023 at 8:26 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

It’s definitely possible since there are so many single Bowers boys already (Christian, Charlie, and Carver). 

It seems like the Carver pairing has sailed. They used to post a bunch with each other and always with a sibling chaperone in between, and now they definitely do not. Could still end up with a different Bowers brother, but I think that one at least has been ruled out.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, CaptainFunderpants said:

It seems like the Carver pairing has sailed. They used to post a bunch with each other and always with a sibling chaperone in between, and now they definitely do not. Could still end up with a different Bowers brother, but I think that one at least has been ruled out.

Liz has recently said she’s single. And Carver seems busy with his new band with Joe Xiques. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BigSandy said:

Phew! I don't like Liz much, but I wouldn't wish a Bowers-match on anyone!

I hope Liz ends up with a male from a family that hasn’t yet married a Bontrager. And I hope she’s at least in her mid 20s.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 4

I could totally see her with a Duggar boy in the future. And even more than that: I'm predicting some Bowers-Bontrager-Duggar connections in the future. Although I, like a poster before me already said, wouldn't wish a Bowers on anybody.

• Upvote 6

3 hours ago, ophelia said:

I could totally see her with a Duggar boy in the future. And even more than that: I'm predicting some Bowers-Bontrager-Duggar connections in the future. Although I, like a poster before me already said, wouldn't wish a Bowers on anybody.

The most likely match would be Jackson since Liz seems to be such good friends with Hannie. If Hannie needed a male chaperone, the most likely candidate would be Jackson.

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

The most likely match would be Jackson since Liz seems to be such good friends with Hannie. If Hannie needed a male chaperone, the most likely candidate would be Jackson.

Jackson seems like maybe the least douchy of the Lost Boys. Might be Liz's best bet.

• Upvote 7

I feel like this kind of brother worshipping is unique to the Bonts. Haven't seen this in any other fundie family I've followed over the years.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 1

On 11/28/2022 at 2:18 PM, Bastet said:

Is it really the only service they could access?  They couldn’t get occupational therapy, for instance? Years ago I worked in the public school administration building of a small city and used to overhear the assistant superintendent of academics talking to parents who planned to homeschool, and her message seemed to be “let us know if we can help you with anything.” I wasn’t eavesdropping, so I don’t know what she was specifically offering, but why couldn’t parents choose to have their kids participate only in PE, or just AP chemistry if the student qualified? How could  a public school say no if a parent provided transportation? If the parents live in town, I think the children have a right to what is offered in the public schools, but you say schools deny them this? That’s a shame. Anything to mitigate the isolation of those children is a plus all by itself. 
  Of course,  this is largely hypothetical: fundie homeschooling parents would not want their children to have contact with school personnel  because they are all Satan’s minions. 

Laws vary by state and often are tied to funding. Education is mostly a state responsibility and not federal. Same with funding. About 90% of funding comes from state and local races and about 10% federal.

Some states allow partial enrollment.

Some allow only full time enrollment.

Some states leave it up to the district or even the individual schools within each district to decide how to handle it.

Some states allow state funds to be used in charter schools that cater to homeschooling families.

Technically laws around IEPs (evaluating for special education) are federal and apply to all children—whether public schooled, private schooled, and homeschooled. All children have the right to be evaluated for IEPs but bulk (or all) of special education services are offered through the public schools. Meaning children have to be enrolled.

Also. The laws are complex partly because some homeschoolers and homeschooling advocacy groups do NOT want families to have the option for partial enrollment or access to extra curricular activities. That’s a whole other can of worms. 

I have interacted with our public school system while homeschooling and have had a similar experience to what you describe: helpful, understanding, and generous.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

4 hours ago, ophelia said:

I feel like this kind of brother worshipping is unique to the Bonts. Haven't seen this in any other fundie family I've followed over the years.

The brother worship is unique but dating your brothers isn’t. So many fundies treat their brothers like dates before they start a relationship with an unrelated male. It’s so weird.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 1

4 hours ago, noseybutt said:

Laws vary by state and often are tied to funding. Education is mostly a state responsibility and not federal. Same with funding. About 90% of funding comes from state and local races and about 10% federal.

Some states allow partial enrollment.

Some allow only full time enrollment.

Some states leave it up to the district or even the individual schools within each district to decide how to handle it.

Some states allow state funds to be used in charter schools that cater to homeschooling families.

Technically laws around IEPs (evaluating for special education) are federal and apply to all children—whether public schooled, private schooled, and homeschooled. All children have the right to be evaluated for IEPs but bulk (or all) of special education services are offered through the public schools. Meaning children have to be enrolled.

Also. The laws are complex partly because some homeschoolers and homeschooling advocacy groups do NOT want families to have the option for partial enrollment or access to extra curricular activities. That’s a whole other can of worms. 

I have interacted with our public school system while homeschooling and have had a similar experience to what you describe: helpful, understanding, and generous.

I’ve got my church key to open that can of worms. Why would some homeschool families want to prevent others from partial enrollment? 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I’ve got my church key to open that can of worms. Why would some homeschool families want to prevent others from partial enrollment? 

Because they demonize public schools and it it much harder to demonize something that you have personal experience with. 

• Upvote 12

2 hours ago, FiveAcres said:

Because they demonize public schools and it it much harder to demonize something that you have personal experience with. 

That occurred to me as an explanation, but I figured there’d be homeschooling parents who would object to having their freedom curtailed like that, by someone purporting to represent their interests no less.  

• Upvote 3

34 minutes ago, Bastet said:

That occurred to me as an explanation, but I figured there’d be homeschooling parents who would object to having their freedom curtailed like that, by someone purporting to represent their interests no less.  

It’s also because they want the energy of homeschooling families to go into other homeschooling families.

The areas of the country that have strong homeschooling sports leagues, for example, are often in areas where homeschoolers have no access to public sports.

They want homeschooling families contributing to the homeschooling infrastructure.

Also, there are deep divides over the homeschooling political advocacy groups. HSLDA only represents a certain “type” of homeschooling family. State advocacy groups vary widely with some comfortable with homeschooling oversight and some demanding minimal regulation. Some are religious and some are secular.

It’s herding cats.

• Upvote 7

9 hours ago, ophelia said:

The Morton's are pretty big brother worshippers. One of the sisters even wrote a "book" about them.

• Upvote 8
  • Disgust 4

If only I had brothers. Deciding where to park makes my tiny ladybrain hurt. 🙄

• Upvote 4
  • Rufus Bless 2
  • Haha 21

Just FYI - According to Liz's Instagram stories, they're having the Young Ladies Retreat again this year, May 25-28. Who wants to bet that they'll also do the Manly Manly MAN one too?

• Upvote 4

28 minutes ago, BigSandy said:

Just FYI - According to Liz's Instagram stories, they're having the Young Ladies Retreat again this year, May 25-28. Who wants to bet that they'll also do the Manly Manly MAN one too?

They both seem to be popular retreats. Although I guess I can kind of see why. A bunch of homeschooled SAHDs are probably always looking for an excuse to get away from their home for a few days and hang out with friends. The numbers for the manly retreat is smaller, but I’m guessing that’s because the young fundie males have work schedules they have to deal with. Otherwise more might attend. 

• Upvote 10

On 3/9/2023 at 6:16 PM, anjulibai said:

The Morton's are pretty big brother worshippers. One of the sisters even wrote a "book" about them.

You are absolutely right. And how could I forget that "book". It was so cringeworthy.

Why do I never see them recommending this kind of stuff for their mother? Fundies act like the man of the household has it so hard. Sorry but the mothers seem to do the most work in a lot of these families. I personally think a lot of them men have it easy. 

70DDD1C6-6120-49A4-A192-492B065FF550.jpeg

• Upvote 5
  • Eyeroll 4
  • WTF 1
  • I Agree 2

5 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Why do I never see them recommending this kind of stuff for their mother? Fundies act like the man of the household has it so hard. Sorry but the mothers seem to do the most work in a lot of these families. I personally think a lot of them men have it easy. 

The role fundie women are assigned is unpaid labor- child care, cooking, cleaning, homeschooling etc. Unpaid labor is not valued like paid labor. Young children (typically daughters) are tasked with a lot of the unpaid labor at a young age, and I wonder if that makes it easier to deem it as not important or valuable. If a ten-year-old can cook, clean, do laundry, watch younger siblings it might be seen as easy because look the kid can do it. I doubt fundie men expect the ten-year-old son to be able to their income producing job at ten therefore it is seen as more important and valuable. 

I don't think anyone is teaching the kids to see the scope of the fundie mom's responsibilities. Women are expected to be submissive and have a cheerful attitude even when life is a dumpster fire. Men are allowed to come home from their job and express their frustration because they "earned" it.  Even in mainstream culture where both parents work outside the home women are expected to assume more of the unpaid labor regardless on their work hours or income. 

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, ifosterkittens said:

The role fundie women are assigned is unpaid labor- child care, cooking, cleaning, homeschooling etc. Unpaid labor is not valued like paid labor. Young children (typically daughters) are tasked with a lot of the unpaid labor at a young age, and I wonder if that makes it easier to deem it as not important or valuable. If a ten-year-old can cook, clean, do laundry, watch younger siblings it might be seen as easy because look the kid can do it. I doubt fundie men expect the ten-year-old son to be able to their income producing job at ten therefore it is seen as more important and valuable. 

I don't think anyone is teaching the kids to see the scope of the fundie mom's responsibilities. Women are expected to be submissive and have a cheerful attitude even when life is a dumpster fire. Men are allowed to come home from their job and express their frustration because they "earned" it.  Even in mainstream culture where both parents work outside the home women are expected to assume more of the unpaid labor regardless on their work hours or income. 

I’m sort of surprised it is so strong amongst the Bontragers because of their Amish background. Yes, men are head of the house in Amish culture but I guess I always figured the Amish also saw the women as working hard too. Because they live on farms. And when it comes to farms, everyone helps. The adults and the kids. And the adult unmarried women are allowed to have paying jobs if their parents don’t need them at home on their farm. Home life and work life are so mixed on family farms. Marlin doesn’t have an office job to go to every day that no one else can do. Marlin’s sons can do most of what he does. And maybe even better. And Alison was allowed to run the Inn for years. It just seems like everyone works hard in that family but daddy Marlin is worshipped. It’s just so infuriating. I have a feeling Marlin needs that constant worship like Jill Rod. And that’s why his daughters do this shit. I think the reason why Marlin is publicly worshipped and Becky is not is for the same reason Jill Rod is publicly worshipped while David is not. One needs a lot of narc supply while the other doesn’t. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 12

I wonder if their sons are expected to give this type of treatment to their mom. None of them are active on SM, so it's not like we would see it. 

• Upvote 3

• Coconut Flan locked this topic