IGNORED

Erin & Chad 9: The Paine of it All

samurai_sarah

5 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Working as a carpenter can support a family with 2 kids. But they have 5 and before Erin had her surgery, they were probably going to end up with 10. His own father could probably support a family of 12 because he was paid well as a doctor. It makes no sense to tell your kids not to go to college but then tell them to let his decide their family size. They need big paychecks for big families. 

Exactly. Erin was set up for failure. She was not allowed to go to college (a real college, I mean). She married a great guy, but a guy without a profession that could support a big family. Then she was told that God wanted her to have lots of kids, if she could. 

It's not just Erin. Most of these adult kids were set up for failure and financial struggle.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, BeccaGrim said:

Why are they moving if they're not buying? What does Florida have that Tennessee doesn't for them? 

It makes me think some sort of job or work is promised there. 

• Upvote 7

Did the Paine family do a family group photo this thanksgiving?

Its the only opportunity we have  to see if Tabitha and her repentant husband have any children.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sops2 said:

Its the only opportunity we have  to see if Tabitha and her repentant husband have any children.

Erin posted pics with just their family. The kids were crafting with a cousin at the table, but we don’t know which Paine kid it is. 

I don’t think the Paines are doomed to financial failure, but in order for them to have a shot at a stable life, especially for their children, either Chad or Erin needs to get a family supporting job. It’s a lovely ideal to think that both parents need to in the home 24/7 tending to the flock (children and beast) and hearth, but it’s not a realistic approach in 2022 America. It just isn’t-

• Upvote 9

1 hour ago, justmy2cents said:

Erin posted pics with just their family. The kids were crafting with a cousin at the table, but we don’t know which Paine kid it is. 

I have a feeling they aren’t posting the yearly big family Paine pic publicly anymore. Likely because of Tabitha’s husband. If they have a child and it’s pictured, people will probably shit a brick.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

2 hours ago, SassyPants said:

I don’t think the Paines are doomed to financial failure, but in order for them to have a shot at a stable life, especially for their children, either Chad or Erin needs to get a family supporting job. It’s a lovely ideal to think that both parents need to in the home 24/7 tending to the flock (children and beast) and hearth, but it’s not a realistic approach in 2022 America. It just isn’t-

I don't think it's ever been a realistic approach. 

My grandpa grew up on a dairy and corn farm in the 20s and 30s. His parents had to work the farm all day, so the kids too young to be in school during were left at the house with their elderly grandpa. His parents just weren't available all day long for them. 

• Upvote 11

37 minutes ago, anjulibai said:

I don't think it's ever been a realistic approach. 

My grandpa grew up on a dairy and corn farm in the 20s and 30s. His parents had to work the farm all day, so the kids too young to be in school during were left at the house with their elderly grandpa. His parents just weren't available all day long for them. 

💯 agree.  Both parents were always working whether in the home, on the farm or somewhere nearby.  Take a look at the Waltons,  Ingalls or any TV family the fundies like to idolize.  

• Upvote 6

5 hours ago, Sops2 said:

Erin just posted a video. There's 17 grandchildren including the 1 inside Hannah.

Chad and Erin have 5.

Thomas and Dakota have 3

Nate and Laura have 4

Hannah and Levi have 1 with another on the way.

Abby and Jeremiah have 2.

Daniel and Allison have 1.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 7

I still just find this so baffling. I see Erin needing more family support than the great grandparents can provide. Has Kelly Jo mentioned this move?

• Upvote 1

I think what a Erin will miss the most is the free babysitting from Michael. Maybe they will have more support in FL than we realize. 

• Upvote 4

10 hours ago, Sops2 said:

I read that as repugnant husband 

It was not until I read it quoted further down I realised I read it wrong but was still right...

My mind saw what I was thinking...

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, RebeccaRay said:

Erin just posted a video. There's 17 grandchildren including the 1 inside Hannah.

Chad and Erin have 5.

Thomas and Dakota have 3

Nate and Laura have 4

Hannah and Levi have 1 with another on the way.

Abby and Jeremiah have 2.

Daniel and Allison have 1.

So no kids for Tabby and the anal rapist. Hopefully, they're divorced. 

• I Agree 2

6 hours ago, Tatar-tot said:

💯 agree.  Both parents were always working whether in the home, on the farm or somewhere nearby.  Take a look at the Waltons,  Ingalls or any TV family the fundies like to idolize.  

I don't think TV is the best source for historical information. However on both shows, I believe the mom was always home (though I think Mrs. Ingalls got a job later in the show, but that was purely fiction).

This was pretty close to real life. The real-life Waltons had one parent home, plus grandparents. The Ingalls had Ma at home all the time. Both families were both desperately poor, so having the father at home would have been unthinkable.  The moms did not spend their time taking selfies to post online--they worked constantly because there were no dishwashers or washing machines, and things like bread, pies and cheese were generally made, not bought.

Very few families have ever been able to have both parents home to watch the kids. Except for the wealthy, it's pretty hard to just have one parent home. In some cases, young children and babies were left at home alone while parents were at work, dangerous as that was, because there was no other choice.

Edited by Jackie3
  • Upvote 3
  • Move Along 1

They're there- just screenshotted this from Erin's video.

They are the couple on the left of the group- no children with them

Spoiler

20221201_083943.jpg

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 3

16 hours ago, BeccaGrim said:

Why are they moving if they're not buying? What does Florida have that Tennessee doesn't for them? 

Tons of insurance funded post hurricane construction.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, marmalade said:

So no kids for Tabby and the anal rapist. Hopefully, they're divorced. 

They're still married. Just no kids

• Upvote 4
  • Rufus Bless 2

4 hours ago, RebeccaRay said:

They're still married. Just no kids

Yeah, I hadn't seen the picture posted above when I made my post. 

Hopefully, they will remain childless.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2

I had a little time on my hands, so I started scrolling backwards through Chad and Erin's blog (someone on Reddit had mentioned that there was some interesting old stuff there). And boy, that was a journey! Some of my takeaways:

- Damn, but Chad practically grew up surrounded by IBLP. It's conferences and retreats and journeys to the heart all the way back to 2010. He's been marinated in the kool-aid even more than I thought.

- I technically knew this, but the pictures really brought home how long their families have known each other. There's pictures of Trace and Zach (and some Duggar boys, if I'm not very much mistaken) from way back when.

- The whole thing also brought home to me again how small their social circle really is and how they all have known each other for ever. There were pics of Chad standing next to Kendalyn Staddon, for example. And this gem from 2012:

Spoiler

grafik.thumb.png.642e3b8b59ca453308cd243a8955f21e.png

Must be weird to spend all your life hanging out with the same six or seven families...

• Upvote 5

9 hours ago, Nothing if not critical said:

I had a little time on my hands, so I started scrolling backwards through Chad and Erin's blog (someone on Reddit had mentioned that there was some interesting old stuff there). And boy, that was a journey! Some of my takeaways:

- Damn, but Chad practically grew up surrounded by IBLP. It's conferences and retreats and journeys to the heart all the way back to 2010. He's been marinated in the kool-aid even more than I thought.

- I technically knew this, but the pictures really brought home how long their families have known each other. There's pictures of Trace and Zach (and some Duggar boys, if I'm not very much mistaken) from way back when.

- The whole thing also brought home to me again how small their social circle really is and how they all have known each other for ever. There were pics of Chad standing next to Kendalyn Staddon, for example. And this gem from 2012:

Hide contents

grafik.thumb.png.642e3b8b59ca453308cd243a8955f21e.png

Must be weird to spend all your life hanging out with the same six or seven families...

I mean, I'm from a small-town, so it is the normal here. My hometown has less than a 1000 people and the nearest town is a 15 minute drive and the nearest big Town (where the high schools are) is 30 minutes. So by necessity, your social school is limited. High school broadens it a bit but at the same time, until you can drive, you are dependent on your parents or hanging out with local friends. 

My parents' had the same group of friends since high school. I grew up with their kids. Most of their friends stayed within a  25 minute drive of each other. 

I have said this before, but I think about 75% of the people I grew up with married their high school partner. The dating pool is shallow, you either snap one up fast or look elsewhere (which is what I did, I married a city boy). 

Fundie life reminds me a lot of small-town/country life. Just with more jesus and less beer. But the idea of a small social circle doesn't really baffle me because it was all I knew (and I definitely got a lot of comments for marrying an 'outsider'). 

Edited by CanadianMamam
  • Upvote 12

I’m from a small town where my mom had to warn me not to have a crush on so and so. Because he’s your 3rd cousin. This happened multiple times. She would be at a ball game with me and be like, “oh is that Bobby? He’s your cousin.” And I would be like 15 years old. Why didn’t you tell me earlier?!?! I used to think he was cute! Ugh.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 10

19 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I’m from a small town where my mom had to warn me not to have a crush on so and so. Because he’s your 3rd cousin. This happened multiple times. She would be at a ball game with me and be like, “oh is that Bobby? He’s your cousin.” And I would be like 15 years old. Why didn’t you tell me earlier?!?! I used to think he was cute! Ugh.

Totally flirted with a second cousin at a family funeral when I was in college, convinced he wasn't actually related to me because I didn't remember him. Neither of us lived in the small town anymore and hadn't seen each other since elementary school. Very disappointed on that score!

• Haha 3

43 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I joined an online mom's group and made a few close friends. One kff them was originally from my area but now lives in a different province. Turns out we are third cousins. 

• Upvote 1

Technically, you can marry your second or third cousins, if you want...... 

I was doing family research for my husband's family and discovered that his parents were 4th cousins. No one new there was any connection on either side. My husband was so upset by it that he wouldn't tell his parents. 4th cousins are pretty far removed. But it might explain his one brother 😁

• Haha 16

• samurai_sarah locked and unlocked this topic