IGNORED

Erin & Chad 9: The Paine of it All

samurai_sarah

I watched the video where they tell their audience that they are renting a house in Florida and during the house tour it sounds like Erin said that there is a piano in the house. So maybe there was no need to take the piano because there already was one in the house? But who is renting a house with a piano? 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Scrabblemaster said:

I watched the video where they tell their audience that they are renting a house in Florida and during the house tour it sounds like Erin said that there is a piano in the house. So maybe there was no need to take the piano because there already was one in the house? But who is renting a house with a piano? 

Depending on the age, some are built in. I've viewed a couple homes in which that was the case.

• Upvote 2

I’m glad the new house is a rental and they aren’t buying it. Because there’s a lot of wood trim. And I think most landlords aren’t like their last. Which means Erin probably won’t be allowed to paint everything white, beige, or gray. I’m sure she will paint all the walls white which is fine. But I like that there’s a lot of wood trim. And hopefully the landlord will tell her painting it all is off limits. 

• Upvote 1
  • Rufus Bless 1

About second cousins marrying: it’s pretty safe. My ex is the child of second cousins, so we were curious if he and his siblings were just lucky in their lack of known genetic defects. The danger apparently comes when second cousins marry generation after generation, like the Hapsburg aristocrats or the Amish. When you get to the point where a new couple has half their great grandparents in common, for instance, the chance that recessive mutations will match up gets much more likely.  Second cousin marriage is legal, and my ex in-laws got no objections from the Catholic Church.  Does a single instance of a second cousin marriage in a family tree raise the risk of a genetic problem in offspring at all? I find it hard to believe it doesn’t, but apparently not by much. 
   That icky feeling you get when even contemplating getting it on with a relative is the incest taboo in action, and a very fine thing it is—the fact that it can be easily triggered makes us all genetically healthier than we otherwise would be.  

Edited by Bastet
  • Upvote 6
  • I Agree 4
  • Thank You 1

On 12/10/2022 at 5:31 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

I’m glad the new house is a rental and they aren’t buying it. Because there’s a lot of wood trim. And I think most landlords aren’t like their last. Which means Erin probably won’t be allowed to paint everything white, beige, or gray. I’m sure she will paint all the walls white which is fine. But I like that there’s a lot of wood trim. And hopefully the landlord will tell her painting it all is off limits. 

What type of trim did you expect to see? I've never seen a home that didn't have wood trim. Is it unusual in the south, or something?

When wood trim is scuffed or stained, people paint it. Why wouldn't the landlord allow that? I''d think he'd be delighted. I have a feeling that landlord is going to say, "Paint away! if it's on your dime, that is."

Those walls were pretty beat up, and the colors were ugly. Erin is definitely going to (have Chad) paint them if that happens.

They vastly improved their little cottage in TN. I think any landlord would appreciate that. I bet the new landlord spoke with their old to check on their payment history, heard all about Chad's upgrades, and is hoping for the same.

Edited by Jackie3
  • Upvote 2
  • Move Along 1
  • Bless Your Heart 1

I got a kick out of how she pointed to the living room window and said it had such a beautiful view and all you could see at first was two giant trash cans, lol.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 4

It seems odd to me that are uprooting their entire lives to help a church. I didn't watch her video so there may be more to it. But I guess when your entire life revolves around church, it's not an unusual choice. I wonder to what extent they are helping a church.

• Upvote 2

I think fundies make a lot of strange choices. Just from my viewpoint. Jill Rod moving to a house that is completely impractical for their family in Wooster Ohio after her parents had moved just down the road from them. Wtf? John Shrader moving his whole family to Zambia to do what exactly? It’s obvious fundies think very differently from myself. And I just don’t understand a lot of choices. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2

On 12/13/2022 at 5:55 AM, Knight of Ni said:

It seems odd to me that are uprooting their entire lives to help a church. I didn't watch her video so there may be more to it. But I guess when your entire life revolves around church, it's not an unusual choice. I wonder to what extent they are helping a church.

"Help a church" must be code for something.

They could "help a church" by sending donating money and staying put in TN.

If Chad's business was thriving in TN, would he uproot their source of income to "help a church" hundreds of miles away?

What sort of "help" could be provided by Erin and Chad anyway? Chad has his construction skills, that might be useful. Erin plays piano. There are construction workers and piano players in Florida already. There's a lot they aren't telling us.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

That just seems so strange to me. Help a church?  Build a church? Start a church?  Fix a church?  They have to move for this? He couldn't go down, help the church, and come back when he's done? 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

13 minutes ago, BeccaGrim said:

That just seems so strange to me. Help a church?  Build a church? Start a church?  Fix a church?  They have to move for this? He couldn't go down, help the church, and come back when he's done? 

They could be pulling a Jill Rod. The church the Rods attended in WV was big. The Rods were totally lost in the shuffle. David rarely got to preach and Jill never got to decorate. Plus she didn’t get to head any little plays or activities. At their new church, they get to do a lot. They have a huge influence on that little church in Amish country. Bringing 15 new people to that church probably benefitted the church and the Rods. I bet Erin and Chad will have a major part in this church. I’m betting Erin will run their music. She will play and probably head the choir. She will probably help with children’s singing as well. And Chad is so handy that he could easily do some handy work around a church. They could decorate around the holidays. Plus they bring their big names in fundieland. I bet some people would attend just because they knew Erin’s family would be there. I bet they are going to be big fish in a small pond in Florida. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 14

Moving to "help" a church might seem weird in the regular world, but it's totally normal in evangelical and fundamentalist christian circles. People were always leaving our church growing up and moving to new places to "plant" a church or help a small new church grow. It's totally insane, but not to them...the most important thing in the entire universe to them is spreading the gospel, so they will sacrifice their children's happiness, health, family wellbeing, financial wellbeing, etc all for Jesus. My parents never moved for a church or anything like that, but they sacrificed plenty of other things so we could attend church 4x a week...there are really no limits, especially in fundie land!

• Upvote 14
  • Love 1

10 hours ago, bookworm29 said:

Moving to "help" a church might seem weird in the regular world, but it's totally normal in evangelical and fundamentalist christian circles. People were always leaving our church growing up and moving to new places to "plant" a church or help a small new church grow. It's totally insane, but not to them...the most important thing in the entire universe to them is spreading the gospel, so they will sacrifice their children's happiness, health, family wellbeing, financial wellbeing, etc all for Jesus. My parents never moved for a church or anything like that, but they sacrificed plenty of other things so we could attend church 4x a week...there are really no limits, especially in fundie land!

4x a week? How deadly boring.

• I Agree 1

1 hour ago, Jackie3 said:

4x a week? How deadly boring.

Luckily by age 10 I figured out that I could work in the nursery, and eat animal crackers and play with cute babies instead of listen to sermons. The ultimate avoidance tactic because adults think it's adorable that young girls want to take care of babies since it's their god given role in life anyway! Little did they know I would grow up to be an atheist who has never ever wanted children😂

• Upvote 12
  • Love 17

Part of me thinks Erin is just going deep in the fundie since she broke up with the Bates Sisters Boutique. This is all speculation, but I can’t help but notice how very worldly Whitney and Carlin seem to be compared to Erin now. Erin is pushing very fundie shit like prayer cards. All she posts about is fundie related crap. Whitney and Carlin hardly ever post about that kind of stuff. Plus we’ve seen that Erin doesn’t seem to hang out with Whitney and Carlin anymore. I definitely think there was some sort of falling out and maybe Erin is looking for an excuse to just start her own very godly path. She can probably be revered for her godliness and fundie celebrity in Florida. While in Tennessee, she’s just another Bates daughter who got out of a lucrative business and won’t say what really went down. 

• Upvote 21
  • Thank You 1

20 hours ago, bookworm29 said:

Luckily by age 10 I figured out that I could work in the nursery, and eat animal crackers and play with cute babies instead of listen to sermons. The ultimate avoidance tactic because adults think it's adorable that young girls want to take care of babies since it's their god given role in life anyway! Little did they know I would grow up to be an atheist who has never ever wanted children😂

I wonder how many church nursery workers actually just hated attending church services. :laughing-jumpingpurple:  I too practically lived in the church nursery as a way to avoid the sermons. Plus, I got to listen to all sorts of church gossip because the church nursery ladies knew all the drama! 

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 5
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, formergothardite said:

I wonder how many church nursery workers actually just hated attending church services. :laughing-jumpingpurple:  I too practically lived in the church nursery as a way to avoid the sermons. Plus, I got to listen to all sorts of church gossip because the church nursery ladies knew all the drama! 

I spent a lot of time working in the church nursery until someone started a rumor that I was gay so I was no longer allowed to work with church members' children, while I could still work with children brought in on the buses. . . .

Helping a church is a common thing. It could include Erin's skills playing the piano for services, leading a children's choir, teaching Sunday School and working in nursery. She and Chad could run Sunday Children's Church and Wednesday's Awana/Patch the Pirate/King's Kids club. Chad could help with leading singing in the services, visiting the community/church members, and any repair work needed on the building. This is usually in addition to some other job that he will hold to outside of the church that will pay the bills.

• Sad 5
  • WTF 5

22 hours ago, bookworm29 said:

I think I would have done the same thing. Sounds like a lot more fun.

In my family, the kids were sent to religious education 3-4 times per week (sometimes more), while the grownups stayed home and read the newspaper. IT was pretty hypocritcal.

45 minutes ago, nolongerIFBx said:

I spent a lot of time working in the church nursery until someone started a rumor that I was gay so I was no longer allowed to work with church members' children, while I could still work with children brought in on the buses. . . .

I'm so sorry. You say that so casually, but it must have been very painful.  And how pathetic that they'd still use your childcare help on busses

• Thank You 1

47 minutes ago, nolongerIFBx said:

Helping a church is a common thing. It could include Erin's skills playing the piano for services, leading a children's choir, teaching Sunday School and working in nursery. She and Chad could run Sunday Children's Church and Wednesday's Awana/Patch the Pirate/King's Kids club. Chad could help with leading singing in the services, visiting the community/church members, and any repair work needed on the building. This is usually in addition to some other job that he will hold to outside of the church that will pay the bills.

Yes, but why this church? Don't all churches welcome this type of help? Why is a church in central Florida the lucky one that gets the Paine's help?

Ooh, I was never that comfortable with kids but I helped in the nursery for years.  It was probably because I was so damn bored by sermons and just didn't want to admit it.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, GuineaPigCourtship said:

Ooh, I was never that comfortable with kids but I helped in the nursery for years.  It was probably because I was so damn bored by sermons and just didn't want to admit it.

Sounds like the reason I often volunteered in the nursery! Lol. 

• Upvote 1

On 12/17/2022 at 12:52 PM, Jackie3 said:

"Help a church" must be code for something.

They could "help a church" by sending donating money and staying put in TN.

If Chad's business was thriving in TN, would he uproot their source of income to "help a church" hundreds of miles away?

What sort of "help" could be provided by Erin and Chad anyway? Chad has his construction skills, that might be useful. Erin plays piano. There are construction workers and piano players in Florida already. There's a lot they aren't telling us.

I'm predicting Chad is starting some sort of ministry career. Maybe he's helping as a pastor/handyman and she as a musician. Or it could be church-adjacent - I think Erin has disassociated with Gothard but it could be something like that and "helping a church" is a way to keep the ministry private.

• Upvote 1

What was Chad’s Crown  College degree in (or do we know)?  I’m wondering if this is someone they know from Crown.  And is this a location that may be considered a “church plant”?  (Which is considered sort of a mission sort of thing in that world)  

Also, I maintain that the whole covid, miscarriage, health issue, ovarian cysts made them double down on religion/faith/Jesus.  And perhaps they see cancellation of the tv show as a sign that they need to head in a different direction.  

• I Agree 3

Did anybody watch the new video?

I couldn't.  I've sat through so much "stew crew" blather....but when Erin had purple eyeshadow matching her purple top and started talking about visiting a printer/print ministry/collating. I had such a strong Rodrigues gut punch I had to turn it off.

• Haha 6

• samurai_sarah locked and unlocked this topic