IGNORED

Erin & Chad 9: The Paine of it All

samurai_sarah

1 hour ago, WatchingTheTireFireBurn said:

Did anybody watch the new video?

I couldn't.  I've sat through so much "stew crew" blather....but when Erin had purple eyeshadow matching her purple top and started talking about visiting a printer/print ministry/collating. I had such a strong Rodrigues gut punch I had to turn it off.

It's a much bigger operation than DBD's smiley reacts. This operation makes bibles for foreign countries. They announced that they are giving 10% of the proceeds from ChadErinCo (or whatever they call their business) to this place. That was it. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, marmalade said:

It's a much bigger operation than DBD's smiley reacts. This operation makes bibles for foreign countries. They announced that they are giving 10% of the proceeds from ChadErinCo (or whatever they call their business) to this place. That was it. 

Ah thanks!

I wonder what kind of proceeds they are getting from their business? Don't they sell prayer cards? How much can that bring in?

Ugh. 

There are so many bibles floating around. They're always in the thrift stores. 1000s of versions free online. Why print even more? Are there places on this planet that aren't inundated with missionaries and their detritus? 

• Upvote 2

They didn't go into detail about how they're passed out, but I agree that these bibles are given to missionaries to distribute. They mentioned Russia and China. Good luck getting into either of those places now. 

Maybe they could hook up with Phillip Rodrigues and get some bibles printed in Hungarian. 😂

• Upvote 1

I've directly( in person) known a person working with a Christian organization to send people(including himself) to China to spread Christianity and their whole thing was it was secret and they lied about it to the government and trained their people to never mention their true purpose etc. Because spreading Christianity illegally trumped any Chinese laws or lying about it.

So I expect there's plenty of these types still operating on both China and russia.

• Upvote 6

I’m in Canada and we frequently get people from the church of LDS coming to ?I guess spread their religion? here from the US. They try to add you as friends on Facebook, post in local fb groups, and even call you. Mostly young men. A few weeks ago I got a call from a number that looked local, and when I answered, the guy said “yo yo yo, I’m talking to you today about being saved”. And I was like oh thanks I’m good 😬

• Haha 8

Erin posted a video of their house all packed up. I’m surprised she’s letting us see the mess. Of course Callie is there to help. There’s always some little Bates girl that has to help all her aunts and uncles. If you watch the video, you could see that Erin’s house wasn’t as perfect as it seemed in pictures. There are lots of places where the paint was peeling or where they just didn’t bother painting the rest of the trim because a large piece of furniture was covering it up. 

• Upvote 9

7 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Erin posted a video of their house all packed up. I’m surprised she’s letting us see the mess. Of course Callie is there to help. There’s always some little Bates girl that has to help all her aunts and uncles. If you watch the video, you could see that Erin’s house wasn’t as perfect as it seemed in pictures. There are lots of places where the paint was peeling or where they just didn’t bother painting the rest of the trim because a large piece of furniture was covering it up. 

As many times as they painted I can imagine it wasn't worth moving everything.

2 hours ago, WatchingTheTireFireBurn said:

As many times as they painted I can imagine it wasn't worth moving everything.

Instead of repainting a million times, you'd think they'd just paint properly one time.

• Upvote 2

I expect with the kids and visitors, the walls could use refreshing.

Why they wouldn't do it all correctly though is crazy.

Edited by Coconut Flan
  • Upvote 5

Poor and unfinished painting is a peeve of mine. Probably because I’ve lived in so many different homes when I was 18-25. I would notice all the poor paint jobs. I’m the type of person who says, if you aren’t willing to put in the effort to paint it correctly, then just don’t do it at all. 

• Upvote 6

21 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Poor and unfinished painting is a peeve of mine. Probably because I’ve lived in so many different homes when I was 18-25. I would notice all the poor paint jobs. I’m the type of person who says, if you aren’t willing to put in the effort to paint it correctly, then just don’t do it at all. 

When I start a paint job or anything similar I feel like you. Then about halfway through, I'm like, fuck it. So I can sort of identify with Erin in this case. And I can't believe I'm saying that.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 5
  • I Agree 4

21 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Meanwhile I've come to accept in my life that there's many situations where doing something is better than nothing.

But tbh I am currently struggling with the previous owner horrible paint job in bathroom and hall and I wish I could do a carp job over it. Instead I've owned my 1st house for nearly 4 years and still haven't painted it. 

There's a cost either way.

• Upvote 3

I’ve left a lot of my walls alone in my home. I’ve lived here for 12 years and I’ve painted some rooms but left others alone. I’ve actually touched up walls that were painted horribly before we moved in. I’m glad they left that paint in the basement. Because they did a poor job of painting and I finished it up. It seems like such a waste of money and time to paint something poorly. I would rather save my money and time and leave it the way it is. 

The previous owners of my first house painted over several pieces of Scotch tape on the walls. That was not fun to fix when I repainted. 

• Upvote 2
  • Rufus Bless 2
  • WTF 4
  • Love 1

7 minutes ago, Baxter said:

The previous owners of my first house painted over several pieces of Scotch tape on the walls. That was not fun to fix when I repainted. 

I swear I found a tiny bit of tape painted over too! It’s on a window trim and I tried to get it but it’s very stuck. So I left it. I try to scrub all the marks and stains on walls so I don’t have to paint. It’s so much easier to clean a wall than paint it. However my kitchen might be too far gone. There are marks I just can’t get off. So I think I will be painting it in the next year. We’ve never painted it. I’m sure the paint has been on the walls for many years. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, patsymae said:

When I start a paint job or anything similar I feel like you. Then about halfway through, I'm like, fuck it. So I can sort of identify with Erin in this case. And I can't believe I'm saying that.

But are you putting yourself out there as Paine Construction?  Because to me the haphazard job could be reflective of his professional work.  If this is your career path, why not do a stellar job at home, even if it’s a rental, to show your work off.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 6

25 minutes ago, clueliss said:

But are you putting yourself out there as Paine Construction?  Because to me the haphazard job could be reflective of his professional work.  If this is your career path, why not do a stellar job at home, even if it’s a rental, to show your work off.

The way Erin portrayed the home, it did look perfect. Instagram perfect. That’s why I found it so interesting. That in the video, you could see where they did some sloppy painting. It’s the first time Erin showed that their home wasn’t perfectly done by Chad. Maybe because they are leaving. 

• Upvote 5

3 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

The way Erin portrayed the home, it did look perfect. Instagram perfect. That’s why I found it so interesting. That in the video, you could see where they did some sloppy painting. It’s the first time Erin showed that their home wasn’t perfectly done by Chad. Maybe because they are leaving. 

Erin said Chad was going to repaint before they left. I wonder if that happened?

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, clueliss said:

I didn't think of that. No, I don't put myself out as a professional or post pics of my walls. Mostly I don't even invite people in. See your point.

• Upvote 4

I’m also really surprised Chad didn’t do it properly considering his company. 

When we were looking for a house, we found that cheaply/poorly done renovations were pretty easy to spot. Examples: people painting kitchen cupboards improperly or with the wrong paint, cheap choice of fixtures or not doing something properly, bad paint jobs, etc. We saw one house where they’d painted half the oak trim white and then just stopped abruptly in the hallway, but the segments that were painted were done badly anyways (could see the brushstrokes etc). It often turned us off from putting in an offer. We ended up buying a house with original fixtures from the late 80s/early 90s that’s very solidly done, and are slowly chipping away at doing our own Renos to it. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, marmalade said:

Erin said Chad was going to repaint before they left. I wonder if that happened?

I think Erin said the landlord would give them a discount when they made home improvements. He will repaint the inside if he got a big discount on this last month’s rent. 

• Upvote 2

When I was house hunting last year, I looked at one place that had been recently flipped and was receiving 20+ offers. I decided not to make one because they had painted over glow in the dark stars on the ceiling. I figured if the flippers had been too lazy to remove those before painting, what else had they not bothered with? I didn't want to end up needing a new roof or foundation one year after getting the house (and most of the other offers were waiving inspection contingencies).

• Upvote 7
  • WTF 3

31 minutes ago, indianabones said:

When I was house hunting last year, I looked at one place that had been recently flipped and was receiving 20+ offers. I decided not to make one because they had painted over glow in the dark stars on the ceiling. I figured if the flippers had been too lazy to remove those before painting, what else had they not bothered with? I didn't want to end up needing a new roof or foundation one year after getting the house (and most of the other offers were waiving inspection contingencies).

Yes, this is exactly how we were with house hunting too! We looked at the big $$$ things like the integrity of the foundation, roof, furnace, windows, whether there was a great deal of shifting or history of water damage/flooding, copper vs aluminum wiring, etc. But the flipped or newly renovated houses went immediately with tons of offers over asking, no conditions (so no inspection). 

• Upvote 3

Yep I hate unfinishes paint jobs too. When my dad renovated rooms when I was a child, he made sure he scraped any old paint or wallpaper from the walls. I learned it from him. I think I already wrote about it here, but in our current house the previous owners did not only put the wallpaper around their furniture, but the hardwood floor too. And they let the old carpet underneath the new flooring. And they even put new wallpaper on the old wallpaper. Not to mention the room with the plaster on top of the old wallpaper. I hate them for that. I can somehow understand the carpet under the new flooring for insulation and less noise, but the wallpaper-lasagne - no. Just no. 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF 5

• samurai_sarah locked and unlocked this topic