IGNORED

Erin & Chad 9: The Paine of it All

samurai_sarah

8 hours ago, Jackie3 said:

They'll be renting again. I had thought they wanted to buy?

They didn’t really say, but I’m guessing they were rejected by a bank. Chad mentioned that they would first need to rent because of his employment situation. 

• Upvote 8

They did at least talk about looking around the area and getting to know it while looking for a forever home. 

It's so strange to me to make a whole video about "hey we're renting a house"

Like millions of people don't move and rent house regularly.  

At least it's an appropriate sized house. But one wonders about finances. A big house with land for rent vs a tiny house in TN. How are they affording the upgrade? East TN where they are is a very cheap place to live. FL is more expensive than TN (I've lived in both places). Hopefully these years of tiny house were spent saving to buy a house. Would still love to know why they're moving.

• Upvote 8

3 minutes ago, WatchingTheTireFireBurn said:

They did at least talk about looking around the area and getting to know it while looking for a forever home. 

It's so strange to me to make a whole video about "hey we're renting a house"

Like millions of people don't move and rent house regularly.  

At least it's an appropriate sized house. But one wonders about finances. A big house with land for rent vs a tiny house in TN. How are they affording the upgrade? East TN where they are is a very cheap place to live. FL is more expensive than TN (I've lived in both places). Hopefully these years of tiny house were spent saving to buy a house. Would still love to know why they're moving.

I think they are cheap. I think Erin inherited Gil’s cheap gene. I’m betting they have saved up some money. Why else would you squeeze five kids in a tiny bedroom? She wasn’t about to spend money on getting her kids a little more room. 

• Upvote 10
  • Sad 1

I agree. Although i'd rather see Erin's cheap vs Carlin and all of them's trendy buy junk consumer wastefulness.

I expect Chad has made some sort of work for rent scenario. Either fixing up the rental or working the land etc. I also expect this is a church connections friend of a friend scenario. Maybe the house owner owns another business Chad will work for ala the scrap yard job he had.

At least Chad is resourceful. 

• Upvote 4

I’m assuming they aren’t renting this place at market rate. The landlord is doing this good Christian family a favor. They know that Chad will make decent improvements to the place.

I don’t know what the Paines’ connection is to Florida, but they seemed like they just wanted to get away from Tennessee.

• Upvote 8

Have they said where the new house is / how far from Alyssa they'll be? Or will it be the same area as the last house they were supposed to move to?

3 hours ago, WatchingTheTireFireBurn said:

The common areas seem fine but 3 bedrooms doesn’t seem like enough. (I also thought they were kind of small.) One for C&E, one for the 4 girls, and 1 for Carson. I’m not sure that’s how they’ll do it so I’m guessing. They could do 2 bunk bed in the master and take the next biggest for themselves. 

• Upvote 6

If there was spiritualized language like "the Lord provided it" it could also be that they got the house through a connection or apprenticeship with Chad or something. I wouldn't be surprised if he takes on some kind of part time pastorate or position like that, and there could be a small church wanting that. Lots of options that don't mean renting at full price.

• Upvote 2

I forget Chad's exact words, but yes, it was along the lines of "the Lord provided." I suspect it may be tied to the same pastor that they were dealing with before. If that's the case, they'll be about an hour from Alyssa. But this is purely conjecture based on Chad's proclamations. 

• Upvote 8

• 2 weeks later...

They're leaning in hard with the religious/biblical content. I guess Satan is coming for me since I don't study the Bible.  She also had a story about some puppet show done at the Paine family Thanksgiving.  It was very much an inside joke. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, JMO said:

They're leaning in hard with the religious/biblical content. I guess Satan is coming for me since I don't study the Bible.  She also had a story about some puppet show done at the Paine family Thanksgiving.  It was very much an inside joke. 

It’s so weird to me. The Bible is everywhere. It’s been studied more than so many other books. What is new? Nothing. They are just printing scripture on little cards and make the same points over and over again. It’s so boring. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 4

Very boring who wants the theological opinions of two random folk who happen to be on TV. And  the house is too small 

• Upvote 5

On 11/13/2022 at 7:27 PM, Tdoc72 said:

The common areas seem fine but 3 bedrooms doesn’t seem like enough. (I also thought they were kind of small.) One for C&E, one for the 4 girls, and 1 for Carson. I’m not sure that’s how they’ll do it so I’m guessing. They could do 2 bunk bed in the master and take the next biggest for themselves. 

She mentioned a screened in porch, but didn't show it, I think. In Florida, that would count as another common area. 

I figure either Chad has a job opportunity in Florida, or his grandparents have a property that he expects to inherit, or partly inherit. 

• Upvote 5

11 hours ago, Tdoc72 said:

Saw these in TJ Maxx today and thought of this thread. Only $4. Erin’s are probably way more expensive. 

EA426C77-D966-4FB5-B05A-D2927B277F7B.jpeg

That’s sort of how I feel about anything Fundies sell. Overpriced stuff you can get somewhere else for cheaper. 

• Upvote 10

On 11/26/2022 at 4:01 PM, byzant said:

Very boring who wants the theological opinions of two random folk who happen to be on TV. And  the house is too small 

Right…I can read a book from or about Thomas Aquinas, Emerson, Calvin, Knox, Luther, the Dalai Lama, Plato, Brahma, Jesus, Mohammad…what theology could these 2 possibly know or impart that could not be sourced elsewhere? Seriously. Why can’t he get a construction job and why can’t she teach music?

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2

On 11/13/2022 at 4:46 PM, MaryOrMartha said:

Have they said where the new house is / how far from Alyssa they'll be? Or will it be the same area as the last house they were supposed to move to?

This is Chad's Grandfather:

Charles S. Paine, Sr., M.D.

President at Wesleyan Bible Conference Association

Brooksville, Florida, United States

[Chad is actually Charles S Paine III]

So I assume that is where they are headed. Maybe 50-60 miles west of Alyssa?

• Upvote 3

19 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

That’s sort of how I feel about anything Fundies sell. Overpriced stuff you can get somewhere else for cheaper. 

Yep. The only one I don’t mind who schills stuff is Michaels. Other than her being fundie she has a lovely home made business with what looks like quality home made items. That are most prob worth the money. Or at least worth supporting a small business for rather than a big corporate gig. (If you can afford the luxury of buying home made) 

• Upvote 8

19 hours ago, HereticHick said:

This is Chad's Grandfather:

Charles S. Paine, Sr., M.D.

President at Wesleyan Bible Conference Association

Brooksville, Florida, United States

[Chad is actually Charles S Paine III]

So I assume that is where they are headed. Maybe 50-60 miles west of Alyssa?

Charles I is a doctor. 
Charles II is a doctor. 
Charles III is a carpenter. 

I honestly don’t get it. If being a doctor runs in your family, why listen to Gothard and keep your kids from getting a college education?

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 11
  • Thank You 1

12 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Charles I is a doctor. 
Charles II is a doctor. 
Charles III is a carpenter. 

I honestly don’t get it. If being a doctor runs in your family, why listen to Gothard and keep your kids from getting a college education?

I mean, if being a carpenter is what makes him happy, then I'm basically all for it, no matter what his dad and grandad did for a living. But Chad always looks so horribly exhausted, and I genuinely wonder if working his ass off in a physically demanding job to feed his growing brood is going to be a sustainable choice for him in terms of health. Then again, he probably figures God will provide for Erin and the kids if he drops dead at forty...

• Upvote 11

3 minutes ago, Nothing if not critical said:

I mean, if being a carpenter is what makes him happy, then I'm basically all for it, no matter what his dad and grandad did for a living. But Chad always looks so horribly exhausted, and I genuinely wonder if working his ass off in a physically demanding job to feed his growing brood is going to be a sustainable choice for him in terms of health. Then again, he probably figures God will provide for Erin and the kids if he drops dead at forty...

Working as a carpenter can support a family with 2 kids. But they have 5 and before Erin had her surgery, they were probably going to end up with 10. His own father could probably support a family of 12 because he was paid well as a doctor. It makes no sense to tell your kids not to go to college but then tell them to let his decide their family size. They need big paychecks for big families. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 7

4 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Working as a carpenter can support a family with 2 kids. But they have 5 and before Erin had her surgery, they were probably going to end up with 10. His own father could probably support a family of 12 because he was paid well as a doctor. It makes no sense to tell your kids not to go to college but then tell them to let his decide their family size. They need big paychecks for big families. 

Does the Paine family have a business similar to Daniel Webster? DW went to VA tech, has an electrical engineering degree and owns a family heating and air company. Some of his sons are also college educated, and some (maybe all) work for the family business. And I agree about the paychecks and large family needs. I also feel this way about all religions that forbid BC. How do these churches expect people to feed, clothe and house children, without adequate funds? How is that responsible?

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Does the Paine family have a business similar to Daniel Webster? DW went to VA tech, has an electrical engineering degree and owns a family heating and air company. Some of his sons are also college educated, and some (maybe all) work for the family business. And I agree about the paychecks and large family needs. I also feel this way about all religions that forbid BC. How do these churches expect people to feed, clothe and house children, without adequate funds? How is that responsible?

As far as I can tell, they do not.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

On 11/29/2022 at 7:40 AM, SassyPants said:

Right…I can read a book from or about Thomas Aquinas, Emerson, Calvin, Knox, Luther, the Dalai Lama, Plato, Brahma, Jesus, Mohammad…what theology could these 2 possibly know or impart that could not be sourced elsewhere? Seriously. Why can’t he get a construction job and why can’t she teach music?

I suspect there's a huge profit margin. They are essentially selling paper. That's pretty cheap for them to buy. The content is free.  They sell these cards at a huge markup. That's much better than framing a house in the heat and humidity.

As for Erin, it's. pretty hard to teach a piano lesson with five small children in the house. None of her kids are old enough to be the babysitter.

• Upvote 2

• samurai_sarah locked and unlocked this topic