IGNORED

Bates 30: Season 11 in the Can and Cancelled. What's UP with that?

HerNameIsBuffy

On 4/19/2022 at 5:23 AM, Idlewild said:

Nathan and Esther have footage of them doing a helicopter candy drop and then they are on Jason Duggar’s Instagram landing the helicopter at the Duggar compound, so they have funds to run an expensive mode of transportation. Unless this was urgent Mediccorps business, of course.

Maybe they were dispatched to help the Duggars with… ahmmm… candy deliveries. Just as useful as their mission to freaking Ukraine. 

On 4/24/2022 at 6:13 AM, SamanthasMom said:

I suspect now that they don’t need the children around for the show, both the Bates and Duggar families will marry off the younger children quickly.

This is the contrary from what I hope for the young Bates generation, but I’ve had the very same suspicion and am sad this might be true. All speculation, of course, and I’d really like to be wrong. 

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, FluffySnowball said:

Maybe they were dispatched to help the Duggars with… ahmmm… candy deliveries. Just as useful as their mission to freaking Ukraine. 

This is the contrary from what I hope for the young Bates generation, but I’ve had the very same suspicion and am sad this might be true. All speculation, of course, and I’d really like to be wrong. 

wouldn't it be the opposite, weddings and babies are ratings galore so since there's no more show it would have the younger kids wait a little longer to get married

• Upvote 5

3 minutes ago, raayx01 said:

wouldn't it be the opposite, weddings and babies are ratings galore so since there's no more show it would have the younger kids wait a little longer to get married

True, that’s a good point. I was thinking along the lines of getting rid of financial responsibility and doubling down on fundamentalist beliefs. But you might very well be right - hopefully you are! 

• Upvote 3

I have always felt that they got their daughters attached to a fundie man as early as possible because that lowers the chances of them breaking out of the fundie mold. If they let them grow in their adulthood without having formed an emotional bond to a fundie guy chances are higher they will think about independence. Get them in a relationship, get them married young and having babies young and it is harder for them to escape this lifestyle. Alyssa especially was miserable. No way she would have stayed for years in the Bates home. So they found her a fundie guy that would let her dress how she wants, which kept her from gaining any notions of leaving and doing her own thing. 

• Upvote 17
  • Sad 2
  • I Agree 10
  • Love 1

19 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

I have always felt that they got their daughters attached to a fundie man as early as possible because that lowers the chances of them breaking out of the fundie mold. If they let them grow in their adulthood without having formed an emotional bond to a fundie guy chances are higher they will think about independence. Get them in a relationship, get them married young and having babies young and it is harder for them to escape this lifestyle. Alyssa especially was miserable. No way she would have stayed for years in the Bates home. So they found her a fundie guy that would let her dress how she wants, which kept her from gaining any notions of leaving and doing her own thing. 

I am sure there are multiple reasons but that is likely a big one. Pushing early marriage in fundieland means they are more likely to be a virgin when married, more likely to skip higher education which could lead to thinking for themselves, the parents no longer have to feed, clothe, and house them, they will have more babies overall if they are quiverful and start the baby train early, and the younger they are, the more enticing they are to fundie men. Most don’t want women in their 30s. They are considered old maids by then. 

• Upvote 16
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I am sure there are multiple reasons but that is likely a big one. Pushing early marriage in fundieland means they are more likely to be a virgin when married, more likely to skip higher education which could lead to thinking for themselves, the parents no longer have to feed, clothe, and house them, they will have more babies overall if they are quiverful and start the baby train early, and the younger they are, the more enticing they are to fundie men. Most don’t want women in their 30s. They are considered old maids by then. 

I agree with the first part. Most of the fundie young men we follow marry before they're 30 years old. There are a few fundie men who've married much younger women, but they're the minority. Most fundies marry someone who is within five years of their age.  We've seen quite a few fundie women in their 30s get married. 

• Upvote 4
  • Eyeroll 1

11 minutes ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

I agree with the first part. Most of the fundie young men we follow marry before they're 30 years old. There are a few fundie men who've married much younger women, but they're the minority. Most fundies marry someone who is within five years of their age.  We've seen quite a few fundie women in their 30s get married. 

Sure there have been fundie women in their 30s get married. But the majority of fundie women get married in their teens and twenties. 

• Upvote 6
  • Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Sure there have been fundie women in their 30s get married. But the majority of fundie women get married in their teens and twenties. 

My point was older fundie women can and have gotten married. Unfortunately, fundies continue to push their daughters into young marriage for many of the reasons you listed above. It's something we should call out as wrong more than we do. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

My point was older fundie women can and have gotten married. Unfortunately, fundies continue to push their daughters into young marriage for many of the reasons you listed above. It's something we should call out as wrong more than we do. 

I figured I was calling it out because I said they were considered old maids in their 30s. Which is completely preposterous in mainstream America. Only in their circles would a woman be considered an old maid at such a young age. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1

With the Bates girls, I suspect we will see them all marry young beceuse they will also worry that if they wait, they will be "punished" like Michal. I thibk the fact that the oldest sister to get married is the one who has fertility issues will be used as a warning. 

The fact that the younger duaghters carry so much household weight (and not just at their house but also as aunt mom's) also likely encouraged them to marry young. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 4

When did the Advanced Training Institute go to the great Prayer Closet in the Sky? I wasn't aware

https://atii.org/

"For over three decades the Advanced Training Institute was a Christian home education program that exhorted families to center their lives and learning around the Word of God. From 1984-2021, the families who participated were encouraged to make Biblical discipleship a foundational reality in their homes."

The ATI website changed radically sometime between the Internet Archive crawls of late Feb. and late March.

This is what the website looked like before the change: https://web.archive.org/web/20220227194155/https://atii.org/ 

• Upvote 5
  • WTF 1
  • Thank You 3

If you continue reading the first link, it says they are no longer an enrollment program but are continuing with the Wisdom Books and conferences. So it’s just a pivot. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 2

I think the answer is people quit signing up in sufficient numbers to keep it going. 

• Upvote 12
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

Kelly’s Ellie Bday post. Finally the idiots have done away with the stupid skirts over snow gear. Thank duck. 

704CA46D-4AF7-4A10-8868-70176CF805A3.png

• Upvote 10

I’ve never gotten the sense that people on FJ are excited for or endorse super young marriages. It’s depressing as anything.

I think beyond parents pushing the older children into it, there are other motivations too; the broader QF culture normalizes it as the expected thing. If most people  in your community value higher Ed, your thoughts are all about applying to colleges at that age. If it’s marriage and babies: welp, you’re probably planning your wedding as a tween. Also, it’s one of the only routes “out.” I’m not sure if marrying young is “better” than SAHD, but it arguably provides an option that two young adults could change course (which is less likely IMO than decades old QF Bates to suddenly deconstruct). 

• Upvote 9
  • Bless Your Heart 1
  • Love 1

On 4/28/2022 at 5:29 AM, CanadianMamam said:

With the Bates girls, I suspect we will see them all marry young beceuse they will also worry that if they wait, they will be "punished" like Michal. I thibk the fact that the oldest sister to get married is the one who has fertility issues will be used as a warning. 

The fact that the younger duaghters carry so much household weight (and not just at their house but also as aunt mom's) also likely encouraged them to marry young. 

You think Ellie, Addie and Callie believe that God punished Michaela and Brandon for marrying "late." He did this because they didn't marry in their early 20's. Because they waited an extra 2-3 years, God was so angry that he punished them with infertility. Even though Michaela was obeying her father at the time.

Hmmm. . . might be a bit of a stretch.

Do they believe that God gives infertility to all couples who marry "late"? Is this a special rule just for the Bates family? Does it apply to the men, too (looking at you, Lawson)?

I'm sure they know couples who married in their mid-twenties who had plenty of kids. I wonder how they explain that discrepancy.

I do think there's an eagerness for the next Bates kid to start the courtship, marriage and babies process.  There's rarely even a thread for Bates kid until they start courting. Where is the thread for Jackson Bates? He's an adult but there's no thread for him. It's like they aren't interesting till they start courting.

I do agree that the younger girls may be in a rush to marry to get out of the house and all those chores. Kelly is always away, and there are still lots of people at home needing food, laundry and their bathroom cleaned. And of course, these jobs are only appropriate for Callie, Ellie and Addie (who spend a lot of time babysitting for their sibs as well). I'd be in a rush to get out, too!

Edited by Jackie3
  • Upvote 1

Along these same lines … Addie’s just turned 15 but her mom’s homage to her sounds like a modern day Tinder profile. Kelly literally even says she’s as mature as a 28 year old. Meanwhile everything else is a list of how she’s the perfect “cool girl” and “not like other girls” (gone girl cultural phenomenon references). Also apparently now it’s cool to be tomboyish, unlike when Joy Duggar was considered a weirdo that needed to feminine up. 

• Upvote 6
  • Sad 1
  • Rufus Bless 2

I don’t think QF believe infertility is a punishment for marrying late. They always talk about waiting for God to bring  the “right one.” I could totally imagine them seeing it as punishment for other vague things: not enough faith, anxiety, rebellious to parents or not being a submissive enough wife, discontentment, etc. 

I think the younger girls probably want to marry early, because that’s what’s done in their community…and what else is there? Their world is narrow and they’ve been given no encouragement to dream outside IBLP box. 

Also, since dating isn’t an option for them, any interest in the opposite sex, hormones, curiosity, normal teen behavior all is funneled to marriage. 

I don’t see why any of them would spontaneously have the critical thought or imagination required to have different goals, honestly. Even the businesses their sisters are running all are secondary to family life. Whitney sort of did something external as a realtor but not sure how that panned out. 

I think some of them may pull out of it but not after some experiences that stretch them. Some fundie women do make it out after a totally awful early marriage. 

Edited by neuroticcat
Spelling
  • Upvote 3
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, neuroticcat said:

Some fundie women do make it out after a totally awful early marriage. 

You can do it, Katie!

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 5
  • I Agree 1

You know what these folks really believe in at their cores? Money, power and control. They want an audience to preach to and control, that provides money, power and an easy life style. Because we all know that God speak without true actions and behaviors that reflect that speak is cheap and easy-

And if Jana Duggar believes that staying at home and being treated like a 5 YO after decades of adulting to fill her parents’ parental deficits is Godly and dictated by scripture and not brainwashing, she really does need a daddy headship-

• Upvote 15

• 4 weeks later...

Speculation bus: Have been wondering if the cancellation could have anything to do with the SBC report that just dropped. I know, IBLP is its own thing, but aren't the Bates SB? If it turns out that Gil is close in to anything - failure to report, misconduct/abuse - maybe he participated in the investigation and knew it would all become public.

• Upvote 2

Most the Bates family is IFB not SBC.

• Upvote 8
  • Thank You 1

46 minutes ago, Coconut Flan said:

Most the Bates family is IFB not SBC.

Thank you. Are they connected at all or totally unrelated?

20 minutes ago, neuroticcat said:

Thank you. Are they connected at all or totally unrelated?

They share basic theology/ideology, but they're separate organizations. They're not related at all on institutional level. However many people bounce back and forth between going to IFB and SBC churches. There are other organized Baptist denominations people can join, too.

Edited by Bluebirdbluebell
  • Upvote 1
  • Thank You 3

• 2 weeks later...

So glad this person got out. As soon as I saw the tweet blurbing it was talking about sickness  being caused by being out from under God’s umbrella, I knew it was IBLP. I think if UP had some survivors calling their offices and heard about the upcoming doc they could’ve cancelled for that. Going to post this in Duggars too. 

https://nypost.com/2022/05/31/woman-reveals-life-in-an-ultra-religious-christian-cult/?utm_source=twitter_sitebuttons&utm_medium=site buttons&utm_campaign=site buttons

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic