IGNORED

Bates 30: Season 11 in the Can and Cancelled. What's UP with that?

HerNameIsBuffy

4 hours ago, GiggleOfGirls said:

Seriously. And something that truly pisses me off is that some folks in North-Eastern US states (former friends of mine, more specifically) took up the “cause” of defending the Confederate battle flag flying above state capitols (when that was a big issue in SC) and refused to listen to me about how those flags should absolutely come down. They wouldn’t listen to me despite the fact that (sadly) the flag is part of my heritage and not theirs. 

To my mind it’s like, stop defending a thing that your ancestors probably fought against, and listen to those of us whose ancestors fought underneath that cursed flag but actually want to try and make things right. 

I really hate that folks who don’t carry that unfortunate heritage jumped on the Confederate bandwagon. I can at least understand folks in my situation struggling to reconcile their family’s past association with the truth of the horrors, but… the Confederate worship has morphed into so much more than that.

It’s frustrating and disheartening.

I strongly suggest that anyone who is in this situation read "Robert E. Lee and Me: a Southerner's Reckoning with the Myth of the Lost Cause", by Ty Seidule. The author has impeccable Southern credentials (grew up in the South adulating the Confederate flag, attended Washington&Lee University, joined the Army, is a white Christian male) and this is his manifesto as to why all of that flag waving is just so wrong.  He was the Head of History at West Point, so his historian credentials are also impeccable. It's aimed squarely at those of us with Southern backgrounds and it will challenge you and make you feel uncomfortable, but it will also give you ammunition to rebut other people.

• Upvote 8
  • Thank You 16

On 1/29/2022 at 7:37 AM, CanadianMamam said:

I grew up on Canada and in the 90s there were dozens of Confederate flags in my neighborhood. Totally removed from the south, but seen as rebel/country culture. Or that is what people told each other. 

Do you mind if I ask where from? Alberta or Southern ONT would be my guess. My mom was born and raised in SW Ontario on a tony farm town in Huron County close to Perth County and went to secondary school in Listowel. A lot of my younger cousins around me age plus or minus some years have left, most went to the Edmonton area when the mining boomwas on for good paying blue collar jobs. I have some family in the BC interior but gomest mostly SW Ontario my grandpa on my moms side was the oldest of 16.

Being half Irish Catholic Canadian and half Native Hawaiian Kānaka maoli Polynesian has been interesting way more similarities than differences to be honest. 🌞

• Upvote 5

33 minutes ago, zee_four said:

Do you mind if I ask where from? Alberta or Southern ONT would be my guess. My mom was born and raised in SW Ontario on a tony farm town in Huron County close to Perth County and went to secondary school in Listowel. A lot of my younger cousins around me age plus or minus some years have left, most went to the Edmonton area when the mining boomwas on for good paying blue collar jobs. I have some family in the BC interior but gomest mostly SW Ontario my grandpa on my moms side was the oldest of 16.

Being half Irish Catholic Canadian and half Native Hawaiian Kānaka maoli Polynesian has been interesting way more similarities than differences to be honest. 🌞

Lots of Confederate flags down by Lake Erie too. I had a friend from there whose family was from Virginia and came up to grow tobacco.

• Upvote 3

Thank you for elaborating.  I am so sorry for what you went through.

Her father was a marine, too, and the school has since closed.  Can't be you, though, because we're in our 30s.  The property was for sale (maybe still is) and a group of survivors was talking about buying it and reopening it as a true mental health support center.  I don't think anything is likely to come of it, but it's a nice thought.

• Love 9

1 hour ago, Jigsaw3 said:

I strongly suggest that anyone who is in this situation read "Robert E. Lee and Me: a Southerner's Reckoning with the Myth of the Lost Cause", by Ty Seidule. The author has impeccable Southern credentials (grew up in the South adulating the Confederate flag, attended Washington&Lee University, joined the Army, is a white Christian male) and this is his manifesto as to why all of that flag waving is just so wrong.  He was the Head of History at West Point, so his historian credentials are also impeccable. It's aimed squarely at those of us with Southern backgrounds and it will challenge you and make you feel uncomfortable, but it will also give you ammunition to rebut other people.

Thank you! I’ve added it to my Amazon cart so I’ll remember to order it as soon as I have a chance. 

The parent I related the most to while growing up has a history degree so there were all kinds of history books on my parents’ shelves and love reading them myself. However, to this day, that parent maintains the “states’ rights” myth re: the Civil War so having a strong antidote to that will be wonderful!

20 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Oh you're sweet to worry but I wouldn't have mentioned it if I couldn't handle it.  And for years I couldn't.

I'm very glad Paris came out talking about this, there are a lot of victims out there carrying trauma for the rest of their lives.  

Something that have in common with the fundies is that from the outside it doesn't look bad.  Good parents who love their children so much they are willing to spend tens of thousands of dollars a year to put them on a beautiful campus where they can learn to stop being so damn difficult.  When they're good and go with the program they get to do a semester in Europe, carefully controlled.  That's what good parents do right?  Help their kids no matter the cost.

But when the kid tells their parent about the abuse and then are punished by the school by losing their privileged of calling or writing home, not a red flag?  When you can lose your right to privacy and even clothing because of bad behavior, but if you tell you lose your right to go home for vacation no red flags.  When the actual "theraputic" method is to break the kid's ego down to nothing and rebuild it in a healthy way, no questions about how that's accomplished when you'd think they'd ask.  Humiliation, isolation, and deliberate breaking of bonds with anyone deemed "unhealthy" including everyone from the outside (including parents) and anyone on the inside not drinking the kool-aid.  

But that's not what people say when they ask them where their teenagers are.  They tell them about the boarding school for gifted children with stats that one has to be in the 95% percentile to get in.  Which is true, but irrelevant except for the fact gifted kids can be more difficult to break so you have to be harsher.

They tell them about all the kids of famous people, politicians, and other VIPs who are there as well.  The TV and music stars they met at the last parent-child conference.  Such wonderful circles for them to move in.

If anyone here went through this and wants to PM me I'd be happy to share which one I went to, but I don't want to post it publicly because, like with fundies, there are people out there my age and older who are still drinking the kool-aid long after the schools had been closed.

For those true crimers out there who are familiar with the Martha Moxley case, Michael Skakel the Kennedy cousin later arrested for her murder went to one a level more harsh than mine.  When a kid couldn't be controlled in my school they got sent to Elan, and when they were good little cultists but deemed not ready to go home they were sent to mine.  

When they used in court his alleged confession from when he was in school I completely discounted it.  I absolutely confessed to things I'd never even thought about doing.  Nothing like that!  But I could see a kid confessing to literally anything to make it stop.  Humans have a self-preservationist streak and terror is very, very real.  

Mine was closed and then came up as a scandal when one of the former directors ran for office and the abuse and even deaths under his watch came to light.  This was long after I'd left and it had gotten much worse.  I looked around on line to see what former students were saying and I saw many who were glad someone cared and but a non-insignificant amount of people, some of whom have been haunting my nightmares for 30+ years at that point were upset at the bad press.  The school was the best thing that ever happened to them, changed their life, they never felt like they belonged anywhere before or sense and it's so sad that bitter, angry, vindictive people who couldn't handle it try to taint it in the public eye.  They pity people so pathetic as to blame the school for their own failure to benefit.

A lot of sarcasm with the 'good' parent thing up there, but the truth is many of our parents did love us.  They were worried about difficult teenage behavior and for sure their goal wasn't to torture us.  It was in being blinded by the psychobabble they use to sell the place, not seeking out independent references, in just wanting the problem to go away.  In many cases it was laziness....it takes time and effort to parent a kid who is having issues from their dysfunctional family.  But I don't know of any instance where it was malice.  The control was insidious, we were told our parents knew everything and they didn't.  

My father was not an emotive man.  He was a marine, he was an engineer and in different ways could give Steve Maxwell a run for his money when it came to control but when he found out some of the things that happened my sister said it was the only time she'd seen him cry.  I was the only one of his children to ever get an apology from him and it was over that school.  I never told him the worst of it, because he was already sorry and I couldn't hurt him more by making him live with ...the worst of it.  I hated the people at school even more after seeing the pain learning of the abuse caused my dad.  

This was a novel ...sorry.  But in the beginning I wondered why FJ resonates with me so much and why I found it healing, seeing as I wasn't raised fundy and don't have the trauma of those of you who were.  It's the underlying theme of 'if you don't believe as you are told to believe you are bad and we will fix it by breaking you until you see the 'truth.' And the utter helplessness of being a kid with no way out.

And for what it's worth the troubled teen industry wasn't filled with teenaged murderers, rapists, or pedos....the behavioral issues were skipping glass, partying, being defiant to parents who sucked at parenting in some ways.  It was an extreme overreaction to use concern to bilk our parents out of money with no regard for the emotional and sometimes physical carnage it caused.  

The staff though?  It attracts a certain type of person, a type of person who enjoys being around kids who are convinced no one will ever believe them if they tell.  

I’m so sorry you were sent there! A close friend of mine was sent to a similar “troubled teen” boarding school and the stories she tells are horrifying. Straight-up over the top abusive awfulness. 

• Love 4

1 hour ago, zee_four said:

South-Central Ontario! So, you guessed it.  Small town in cottage/farming community. Close to the lake, really pretty and very closed minded.

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 1

7 minutes ago, GuineaPigCourtship said:

Thank you for elaborating.  I am so sorry for what you went through.

Her father was a marine, too, and the school has since closed.  Can't be you, though, because we're in our 30s.  The property was for sale (maybe still is) and a group of survivors was talking about buying it and reopening it as a true mental health support center.  I don't think anything is likely to come of it, but it's a nice thought.

I'm sorry your friend is still struggling.  It's a harder road for some and mine wasn't nearly as bad as others...I hope she finds peace.

Fun fact my campus was destroyed in a Hollywood movie which every other survivor I know has seen despite it being an intensely shitty film!  It was just satisfying to see it go.

• Love 12

@h

34 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Oh you're sweet to worry but I wouldn't have mentioned it if I couldn't handle it.  And for years I couldn't.

I'm very glad Paris came out talking about this, there are a lot of victims out there carrying trauma for the rest of their lives.  

Something that have in common with the fundies is that from the outside it doesn't look bad.  Good parents who love their children so much they are willing to spend tens of thousands of dollars a year to put them on a beautiful campus where they can learn to stop being so damn difficult.  When they're good and go with the program they get to do a semester in Europe, carefully controlled.  That's what good parents do right?  Help their kids no matter the cost.

But when the kid tells their parent about the abuse and then are punished by the school by losing their privileged of calling or writing home, not a red flag?  When you can lose your right to privacy and even clothing because of bad behavior, but if you tell you lose your right to go home for vacation no red flags.  When the actual "theraputic" method is to break the kid's ego down to nothing and rebuild it in a healthy way, no questions about how that's accomplished when you'd think they'd ask.  Humiliation, isolation, and deliberate breaking of bonds with anyone deemed "unhealthy" including everyone from the outside (including parents) and anyone on the inside not drinking the kool-aid.  

But that's not what people say when they ask them where their teenagers are.  They tell them about the boarding school for gifted children with stats that one has to be in the 95% percentile to get in.  Which is true, but irrelevant except for the fact gifted kids can be more difficult to break so you have to be harsher.

They tell them about all the kids of famous people, politicians, and other VIPs who are there as well.  The TV and music stars they met at the last parent-child conference.  Such wonderful circles for them to move in.

If anyone here went through this and wants to PM me I'd be happy to share which one I went to, but I don't want to post it publicly because, like with fundies, there are people out there my age and older who are still drinking the kool-aid long after the schools had been closed.

For those true crimers out there who are familiar with the Martha Moxley case, Michael Skakel the Kennedy cousin later arrested for her murder went to one a level more harsh than mine.  When a kid couldn't be controlled in my school they got sent to Elan, and when they were good little cultists but deemed not ready to go home they were sent to mine.  

When they used in court his alleged confession from when he was in school I completely discounted it.  I absolutely confessed to things I'd never even thought about doing.  Nothing like that!  But I could see a kid confessing to literally anything to make it stop.  Humans have a self-preservationist streak and terror is very, very real.  

Mine was closed and then came up as a scandal when one of the former directors ran for office and the abuse and even deaths under his watch came to light.  This was long after I'd left and it had gotten much worse.  I looked around on line to see what former students were saying and I saw many who were glad someone cared and but a non-insignificant amount of people, some of whom have been haunting my nightmares for 30+ years at that point were upset at the bad press.  The school was the best thing that ever happened to them, changed their life, they never felt like they belonged anywhere before or sense and it's so sad that bitter, angry, vindictive people who couldn't handle it try to taint it in the public eye.  They pity people so pathetic as to blame the school for their own failure to benefit.

A lot of sarcasm with the 'good' parent thing up there, but the truth is many of our parents did love us.  They were worried about difficult teenage behavior and for sure their goal wasn't to torture us.  It was in being blinded by the psychobabble they use to sell the place, not seeking out independent references, in just wanting the problem to go away.  In many cases it was laziness....it takes time and effort to parent a kid who is having issues from their dysfunctional family.  But I don't know of any instance where it was malice.  The control was insidious, we were told our parents knew everything and they didn't.  

My father was not an emotive man.  He was a marine, he was an engineer and in different ways could give Steve Maxwell a run for his money when it came to control but when he found out some of the things that happened my sister said it was the only time she'd seen him cry.  I was the only one of his children to ever get an apology from him and it was over that school.  I never told him the worst of it, because he was already sorry and I couldn't hurt him more by making him live with ...the worst of it.  I hated the people at school even more after seeing the pain learning of the abuse caused my dad.  

This was a novel ...sorry.  But in the beginning I wondered why FJ resonates with me so much and why I found it healing, seeing as I wasn't raised fundy and don't have the trauma of those of you who were.  It's the underlying theme of 'if you don't believe as you are told to believe you are bad, and we will sacrifice who you are so you can become who we need you to be.' And the utter helplessness of being a kid with no way out.

And for what it's worth the troubled teen industry wasn't filled with teenaged murderers, rapists, or pedos....the behavioral issues were skipping glass, partying, being defiant to parents who sucked at parenting in some ways.  It was an extreme overreaction to use concern to bilk our parents out of money with no regard for the emotional and sometimes physical carnage it caused.  

The staff though?  It attracts a certain type of person, a type of person who enjoys being around kids who are convinced no one will ever believe them if they tell.  

I am so sorry you experienced this. My father went to a prestigious boarding school and had very similar stories. He actually got pulled from the school because he deliberately got in trouble the week before Easter so that my grandmother would see the fresh marks on his body over the holiday and that he could hopefully guilt her into getting him out of there, which she did. He was 12. Those schools are a nightmare.

• Sad 4
  • Love 14

19 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

This in particular resonated - I think if these type of people don’t have their own children they will seek out positions like churches or schools or anywhere with access to children or people vulnerable to their authority.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 4

On 2/2/2022 at 4:16 PM, GuineaPigCourtship said:

@HerNameIsBuffy I've heard you reference a school before, I'm assuming some sort of troubled teen boarding school from what you've said but please correct me if I'm wrong. I have a good friend from high school who disappeared (changed schools per her parents) only to reappear a year and a half later after she turned 18. She was kidnapped from her house in the middle of the night and imprisoned at one of the schools and has basically never recovered enough to function normally in society. We're not close anymore, but I keep in touch.

Sounds like me! Except make it two years.

• Love 6

3 hours ago, patsymae said:

Sorry if this was mentioned earlier and I missed it, but have you seen the movie "Kidnapped for Christ" ?

I just googled it. There's no way I could watch that without having a really bad trauma response, at least at this point in my life.

• Love 6

Just now, indianabones said:

I just googled it. There's no way I could watch that without having a really bad trauma response, at least at this point in my life.

Spoiler

Yeah, then please don't. It's upsetting even if totally out of your wheelhouse.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, neuroticcat said:

NBC released their IBLP expose, but no mention of the Bates so possibly unrelated to the canceling. I was hoping it would be more damning honestly, but maybe it will still be eye opening for people unaware of the cult.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/ministry-nourished-duggar-familys-faith-falls-grace-rcna14024

I just read it and frankly I expected a lot more--nothing about the Bates--or training centers! I hope this is just the first of many articles.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

1 minute ago, HereticHick said:

I just read it and frankly I expected a lot more--nothing about the Bates--or training centers! I hope this is just the first of many articles.

Here’s hoping the documentary does a better job presenting the full picture. 

• Upvote 6

I was looking at the UP fb page. There is a new reality show about cowboys working at a ranch. So if they really were going more towards movies and scripted shows, why do they have another reality show? We all knew it was a lie when they said they cancelled the show because their network was going to be more about movies. I also want to point out that the UP fb page has multiple black history month posts already for February. Just something to note since the Bateses have been caught being racists in the last few months. 

• Upvote 12
  • Thank You 2

Saw this link on Reddit regarding a time Gil and IBLP board kicked Gothard out of Big Sandy. I found it interesting because I hadn’t heard the story, and it’s crazy how enamored people still were with Supreme Leader Gothard. But, more than that, it sounds like Gil and Chad’s dad were basically the ones  in-charge at IBLP at least a couple of years ago. Maybe it’s grasping for straws, but I’m still hoping the IBLP connection is what led to the cancellation, because it might lead to IBLP being cancelled too.

https://web.archive.org/web/20210128145559/http://www.discoveringgrace.com/2018/04/29/bill-gothard-went-down-to-texas/

Edited by neuroticcat
  • Upvote 5
  • Thank You 1

21 hours ago, neuroticcat said:

Saw this link on Reddit regarding a time Gil and IBLP board kicked Gothard out of Big Sandy. I found it interesting because I hadn’t heard the story, and it’s crazy how enamored people still were with Supreme Leader Gothard. But, more than that, it sounds like Gil and Chad’s dad were basically the ones  in-charge at IBLP at least a couple of years ago. Maybe it’s grasping for straws, but I’m still hoping the IBLP connection is what led to the cancellation, because it might lead to IBLP being cancelled too.

https://web.archive.org/web/20210128145559/http://www.discoveringgrace.com/2018/04/29/bill-gothard-went-down-to-texas/

And now Chad’s dad is no longer on the board and Erin and Chad seemed to have created some distance with the family. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

18 minutes ago, CanadianMamam said:

And now Chad’s dad is no longer on the board and Erin and Chad seemed to have created some distance with the family. 

That was a weirdly fascinating read.  So it seems people around Gothard were afraid he'd be harmed physically by Gil, Dr. Paine, and Dr. Levendusky?

I know he wasn't on the board, but as a director under Gothard I'm very curious as to when David Waller cut ties with him.  

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 2

Kelly Jo is in Florida after Atlanta after Colrado and I forgot before where ! Interestingly she took the boys-10 year olds birthday trip and took them to Seaworld ....and Alyssa and her kids too I wonder if she payed for Alyssa's kids since Alyssa never took them before so I am assuming. I think the boutique is running well as they can afford such stuff without the show. Also she took the other younger boy too .I feel bad for Callie who cooks the entire meal for the family and doesnt get to go wth Addie and Ellie and neither with the younger boys ! I bet she would have enjoyed Seaworld too...

• Upvote 6

I feel really bad for Callie who seems to be a little lost. Too young to hang out with Ellie and Addie, too old (and a girl) to be grouped with Jeb and Judson.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 4

• Coconut Flan locked this topic