IGNORED

Bates 30: Season 11 in the Can and Cancelled. What's UP with that?

HerNameIsBuffy

35 minutes ago, SeekingAdventure said:

to be fair, most people don't pick their names out of the bible, and by sound, Sarah is a by far nicer name than Hagar. At least to me, obviously it's objective, but... :D

I definitely agree that most people just go with what sounds good. But some fundies really seem to care. Like the Maxwells. Yet they have a Sarah! 

Example: I love the name Cecelia even though it means blind. I would still use it despite the meaning. But others might not.

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

And then after that, they didn’t name any of their girls a biblical name. I guess they learned their lesson. That many women of the bible are demonized. Or just never even named in the first place. I’m sorry if this offends any Christians, but man the Bible is so sexist. 

The Bible is full of a-holes (just like life ;)) Not just the Bible, though. I can think of a few examples in Greek mythology (Achilles was a major A-hole, by all accounts) and some others.

On top of that, it's not that the world has ever been particularly easy for the poor, women, elderly, etc. and in those times, zero protection. 

What baffles me - and this is my very personal opinion- is that anyone would read the Bible and think it is the absolute truth in its entirety, and a model of behavior to follow in 100% of the cases. While I would look at some of the content and say, "OK, sure, don't do to others what you don't want others to do to you" (roughly), this is sort of common sense to me- i.e. be a decent person, there is a lot of stuff that is debatable at best, absolutely abhorrent at worst.

I have the same reaction about other "sacred texts", by the way. When I hear "this is the literal absolute truth" about anything religion-related...Bye, Felicia! 

• Upvote 6
  • Love 2

Did anyone else see that that Katie took her mom, Michaela and Callie back to NJ??  I can't believe that they've only been married two months with how often they surround themselves with other family members.  She must be having some serious homesickness.  Meanwhile Jinger and Jeremy had that rule that no one was allowed to visit them in the first year.  

• Upvote 11
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, formergothardite said:

I will never understand how they are so lazy they couldn’t even bother reading the Bible story before naming their kid after a biblical character. How is Gil a pastor? 

What I always wondered is how does Michael feel knowing that her own parents were that lazy?   And that they publicly talked about screwing up their own kid's name?   I can't imagine that it doesn't bother her at least a little bit.

I know parents can make some honest or "sort of" mistakes with kids' names.  My middle name is not the correct spelling on my own birth certificate for the pronunciation that my parents used.  It's still a correct name but there's two similar spellings and pronunciations of this name.  Since my mom would always say it one way, I always used the spelling associated with that pronunciation so I was a bit surprised when I had to get a copy of my birth certificate and saw that it was different.  I never brought it up though and she never mentioned that she might have had an "oops" moment.  

Edited by nokidsmom
  • Upvote 4
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, Expectopatronus said:

Not to mention the fact that God promises Hagar and Ishmael that he will also make them a great nation and they are considered to be the root of Islam. Not a problem for most of us who recognize that we all worship the same God but a lot of fundies are wildly Islamophobic. I can’t remember if the Bates have posted crap about this but I remember Anna reposting an Islamophic tweet. 

Abraham is considered to be "father of the prophets" in Islam because the prophets after him was said to be from his bloodline. I think in Islam Hagar (Hajar for us) has better standing than Sarah, because during Hajj and umrah we have to do Sa'i as part of our rites. Sa'i is a ritual of walking (you're encouraged to jog if you're able to) back and forth seven times between two hills of Safa and Marwa, to commemorate Hagar's search for water for her son. Zamzam Well is said to be the water source that sprang miraculously for Hagar and it's the reason we have Mecca now.

As as child, I heard about her story more during Quran study, her sacrifice for Ishmael and whatnot. Sarah is 'just' Isaac's mom. As for the naming part, in my country we can't use Hagar because unfortunately Hajar in our language means "beating the shit out of someone". I don't think anyone named Sarah in my country was taken from the Quran. Well the Muslim ones at least, the Christian ones probably took it from the Bible. Sarah is considered Western and modern as opposed to Islamic here, weirdly enough.

• Upvote 9
  • Thank You 14

53 minutes ago, JMO said:

Did anyone else see that that Katie took her mom, Michaela and Callie back to NJ??  I can't believe that they've only been married two months with how often they surround themselves with other family members.  She must be having some serious homesickness.  Meanwhile Jinger and Jeremy had that rule that no one was allowed to visit them in the first year.  

According to Michaela, this was her birthday present from Brandon (the flight back). 

The thing is, they are with the Clarks 90% of the time. If it was just the two of them away from both families and Katie had this many visitors, I'd wonder, but she sees Travis's family and has slept over at his parents place a few times since being married, so given that they are already smothered in family it makes sense that she wants her family to visit. 

Katie has also said she is not comfortable driving alone in NJ, so she probably really appreciates the company while Trabis is gone all day. 

• Upvote 9
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I definitely agree that most people just go with what sounds good. But some fundies really seem to care. Like the Maxwells. Yet they have a Sarah! 

Example: I love the name Cecelia even though it means blind. I would still use it despite the meaning. But others might not.

St Cecelia is the patron saint of music so many people would just associate the name with her and not it’s meaning. I think people use Sarah as a name both for its meaning (Princess) and because she and Abraham were chosen by God to bear a son when Sarah was already 91 and this line would eventually lead to Jesus. 

• Upvote 7

While we're discussing their costumes, I cracked up when I saw Josie's/the kids' costumes.  I actually think it was cute but such a contrast to Kelton's costume that she's in some brightly colored whale costume and the kids are lobsters, etc.  But before I knew the theme all I could think was how TF do those all go together.  Also, I really like that Alyssa didn't dress up and had no f*cks to give about it in her IG replies.  

• Upvote 14

58 minutes ago, JMO said:

While we're discussing their costumes, I cracked up when I saw Josie's/the kids' costumes.  I actually think it was cute but such a contrast to Kelton's costume that she's in some brightly colored whale costume and the kids are lobsters, etc.  But before I knew the theme all I could think was how TF do those all go together.  Also, I really like that Alyssa didn't dress up and had no f*cks to give about it in her IG replies.  

That’s the kind of costume I would have gone with too. A funny cute costume. I would never go with Carlin’s. Eek.

• Upvote 3

Calrin's (and maybe others') instagram post referred to 'Bible characters.' Yes, a character is a person in a book, movie, etc, but any time I've read biographies I've never once thought of people as characters because they are real people. If fundies take this stuff so seriously and literally, why don't they refer to people in the Bible as 'person' and 'people?' It doesn't make sense to me, not that fundies make sense anyway. Their theme could have been 'People from the bible' or something like that. I'll bet you they have never referred to themselves as 'characters' in the show BUB. Maybe they should, though, because they are not real on that show, they ARE characters.

• Upvote 7
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

That’s the kind of costume I would have gone with too. A funny cute costume. I would never go with Carlin’s. Eek.

It looks like Bobby was Noah with three little animals and Tori didn't bother to dress up.

• Upvote 3

Balka's dresses were fun. They and Tori's had a good idea to include kids in a positive way.

Lawson was a pharaon. Of course.  

• Upvote 8

2 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

Balka's dresses were fun. They and Tori's had a good idea to include kids in a positive way.

Lawson was a pharaon. Of course.  

I found it creepy that Tiffany was apparently the pharaoh’s daughter 

• Upvote 3
  • WTF 5
  • I Agree 9

On 2/28/2022 at 3:02 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

Didn’t Yael drive a tent stake through the head of an enemy? Hardly any fundies use that name! That’s the first name I would use 😂

Oh and Sarah sounds like an awful person. I think Hagar was the batter person in that story. But fundies use the name Sarah and not Hagar. 

I love the name Yael!! But I don't think my boyfriend would agree 🙂

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, ophelia said:

Me too! I first saw it on Jane the Virgin which stars Yael Grobglas. She's beautiful and funny, and her name is cool as well.

So Callie and Judson were Sampson and Delilah. Huh.

Although I think Isaiah and the blow your camel is actually really clever. 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF 1

4 hours ago, ophelia said:

Is it pronounced Yale or yay Elle  or yah Elle?  I always wondered when I saw it on Jane the Virgin, it's only now I see the discussion I see how obvious it is a bible name 

2 hours ago, CanadianMamam said:

So Callie and Judson were Sampson and Delilah. Huh.

Although I think Isaiah and the blow your camel is actually really clever. 

Um blow your camel? ??? Does that not mean the same in other countries as it does here??? Lol

• Haha 4

42 minutes ago, AussieKrissy said:

Is it pronounced Yale or yay Elle  or yah Elle?  I always wondered when I saw it on Jane the Virgin, it's only now I see the discussion I see how obvious it is a bible name 

Um blow your camel? ??? Does that not mean the same in other countries as it does here??? Lol

I have the worst autocorrect. That was supposed to be blow up lol. He went as a wiseman riding an inflatable camel and I thought it was clever.

• Haha 12
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, AussieKrissy said:

I've only ever heard it pronounced as Yah-Elle, and can be a male or female name in Hebrew/Israel.

Funny side note- an Israeli friend was telling me about the name they chose for their son, and they meant to say "gender neutral name", but because they are not a native English speaker, they said "bisexual name". They cracked up when I gently corrected!

• Haha 11
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

On 3/1/2022 at 4:38 AM, CarrotCake said:

I found it creepy that Tiffany was apparently the pharaoh’s daughter 

I came here to say this!! What the heck was that?!?!

• WTF 1

Gil is still on the ATI/IBLP Board, right? Is this article talking about the old main ATI campus in the Chicago? I thought they had sold the land several years ago but maybe they are just now finding a buyer:

https://patch.com/illinois/hinsdale/hinsdale-leader-backs-controversial-project

HINSDALE, IL — Hinsdale's village president this week indicated support for the latest version of proposed senior housing along Ogden Avenue...

The total units would be 200, down from the 267 proposed a couple of years ago. It would be on the local site of the Texas-based Institute in Basic Life Principles, which plans to sell the property...

"Like many of you, I would like this property to stay vacant," Cauley told the audience. "If this property were never redeveloped, that would be perfectly fine with me, both as a resident and the village president."...

Hemmer said barely anyone in his neighborhood wanted to bar all development on the property.

"We don't want vacant, abandoned property in this neighborhood," he said. "No one wants giant institutional buildings with windows knocked out, barely maintained."

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 3

So, are any of the Bates bros going along to Godbother the good folks of Eastern Europe?

image.thumb.png.68ef9f7e8757a567bbee086de89a186d.png

• Upvote 4
  • Disgust 3
  • Eyeroll 1
  • WTF 1

I love how they write dispatched. Nah mate not dispatched, "up and decided to go and toddle off to a war zone to play saviour" is more accurate. No one is dispatching you ass hats....

• Upvote 18
  • Haha 9
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 5

For the life of me I don't know what Medic Corps could do that would be helpful or even neutral. The Bates boys have the tree trimming experience and could be useful in Kentucky after the tornados. What are they expecting to do to help Ukraine? Their supporters can pray and donate to actual charities not these knuckleheads that cosplay law enforcement and healthcare providers. 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 1

56 minutes ago, ifosterkittens said:

For the life of me I don't know what Medic Corps could do that would be helpful or even neutral. The Bates boys have the tree trimming experience and could be useful in Kentucky after the tornados. What are they expecting to do to help Ukraine? Their supporters can pray and donate to actual charities not these knuckleheads that cosplay law enforcement and healthcare providers. 

That’s what I was thinking. Wtf are they doing? Leave Ukraine help to the professionals, and donate your funds to organizations who already have qualified people in place (if God has laid it on your heart to provide medical support, Doctors Without Borders might be a good choice).

Sorry to be harsh, but US fundamental redneck gun crazy kids proselytizing people in a war are the last thing we need here in Europe.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 9
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 3

• Coconut Flan locked this topic