IGNORED

Jana Duggar 15: Paying her court fine on Duggar time

HerNameIsBuffy

2 hours ago, Idlewild said:

It’s hard to know with Jana.  I suppose the options are

• She either is totally buying into the Duggar brand or
  • She has the lazy gene that most of her siblings have and thinks she did enough unpaid work for the show so she’ll continue with her life of hobbies, travel and social media until the money runs out or
  • She has had the ability to think independently beaten out of her by staying so long under JB & M’s rule.

I vote for all of the above

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 9

I do think that with all the kids pretty self sufficient , Jana’s on easy street compared to years ago. I also think JB is pretty lax with her, as she is 32 freaking years old. I doubt he treats her the same as he treats 16 YO Hannie. And I truly believe that she has an easier life than Kendra or Jessa. Jana likely does whatever the hell she wants. Jana has made her choice. She’s seemingly had several opportunities to have the life her sisters live, and she has decided it’s not for her. I doubt she is catering to anyone, sets her own schedule and comes and goes during reasonable hours as she sees fit. She has food, clothing and shelter. She has a car and gas to travel around. She has friends. Yep, I’d much rather have her life than Kendra’s-

• Upvote 15
  • Love 1

I am still intrigued why everyone seems to believe it’s her choice she isn’t married. It could have just as well been the guys that called it off. Maybe Stephen realised that he would rather not court/marry Jana. I don’t think we should throw out the possibility that she is not appealing to the ones that have gotten closer to get to know her.

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, just_ordinary said:

I am still intrigued why everyone seems to believe it’s her choice she isn’t married. It could have just as well been the guys that called it off. Maybe Stephen realised that he would rather not court/marry Jana. I don’t think we should throw out the possibility that she is not appealing to the ones that have gotten closer to get to know her.

I suppose because at the height of their fame, the Duggar sisters had guys reaching out to be with them- Ben, Derick and Jeremy via Ben - wanted to be part of the dog and pony show- money for nothing and a pretty, submissive wife. Whether they lied about how much alone time they got (Derick says they spent time alone, but was happy to go along with the lie for the show, so who knows?) or not, they didn’t in those days seem to have the time to really get to know one another.

Later courtships have been from pre approved families who they already know- so yes, maybe Jana isn’t popular with the young men there, but I doubt she was short of admirers in the early days.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Idlewild said:

Later courtships have been from pre approved families who they already know- so yes, maybe Jana isn’t popular with the young men there, but I doubt she was short of admirers in the early days.

Yep. I had several sisters and well remember there always being guys around us, guys interested in us, lots of guys to choose from, all different kinds. Like a revolving door. We weren’t in a cult, but I feel this is a pretty natural occurrence. 

• Upvote 1

I don't think JB is particularly watching 16yo Hannie.  He's and M checked out of parenting long ago, they did a little bit for Josie, but I'd be shocked if they bothered with any of the young ones unless they do something they can't ignore or annoy/interfere with them.

Besides Jana is there, she is still responsible for making sure her younger sisters don't do anything stupid/bother her parents.

Besides all parenting attention over the fall went to Josh with some to Anna and the M's and a tiny bit to Jana's own legal trouble.  They've done their parenting for the year.

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, just_ordinary said:

The 50 page application JB gives to any potential suitor may have mixed his desire to join the Duggar shit show 

• Upvote 5

In the days when a Jana wedding would have been a huge ratings bonanza plus the spin off magazine articles and paid partnerships, JB wielded some influence as to who he let join the family- not so much theological but did they suit the brand, would they garner enough interest to keep the show running and JB with the cash and adulation he loves. 
JB is probably kicking himself he never cashed in; now it’s a question of whether a suitor wants to join the family with all the baggage that brings. Not every parent is Hilary Spivey- some may counsel against being linked with the Duggars. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

I think Jana is probably quite independent and authoritative (trying not to say “bossy”), having been a substitute parent for 20 years or more. That’s not going to work with a guy who wants a submissive wife. It’s good that she doesn’t seem to be faking her personality or settling for someone who isn’t right for her. Eventually she will probably meet a grown man who will click with her, and Jim Bob will have enough sense not to whip out the questionnaire.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

If Jana ever does find a compatible/acceptable partner for herself, I seriously doubt JB will have much say. What kind of middle 30 aged man is going to submit to a JB questionnaire and lecture on debt? My son and his GF are in their early 30’s, you can best believe my husband and I have zero input into their relationship. Jana is vastly different from JB’s other kids (minus JD) who have married as teens or in their very early 20’s. His previous/current tactics will not work.

Edited by SassyPants
  • Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

Even if Jana wasn’t older, I don’t think JB wields the leverage he once did. Fundie families may overlook the Duggar demise but they certainly won’t be jumping through hoops to join them like they may have done when the Duggars had fame, fortune and influence.

I hope this means the younger daughters don’t have to go through this excruciating ritual. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, onekidanddone said:

The 50 page application JB gives to any potential suitor may have mixed his desire to join the Duggar shit show 

Nixed not mixed.  😔 

• Upvote 1

The 50 page application which worked so well, he's had a 50:50 success rate with marrying his daughters to people who tow the line.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, imokit said:

The 50 page application which worked so well, he's had a 50:50 success rate with marrying his daughters to people who tow the line.

Still a higher success rate at finding suitable spouses than Pa Keller.

• Upvote 18
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 1

If I were a suitor, I'd have my own 50-page questionnaire to hand to JB. I'd want some solid answers before marrying into that mess. 

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 9
  • I Agree 11
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, imokit said:

I think Jeremy is close enough to what JB wanted, despite some differences in theology, birth control, and dress code. The only real rebel is Derick, and Jill is still a Christian SAHM living near her parents. I doubt that he sees his screening as having failed. 

• Upvote 5

Jinger and Jeremy were also very popular with viewers (breakout stars’, folks!), and JB was prepared to overlook a lot to keep the gravy train going. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

JB likes money and control. I think his concerns about differing  theological tenets is a distant 3rd. In the absence of glaring issues, I think for many parents a 17 YO sheltered ,man child would have been our last choice in a spouse for our daughter, yet Ben seemed to make the cut. 

I think anyone JB thinks he can control gets easy approval. Evidently it took a bit for JV to get JB’s approval. 

DD was in a very vulnerable situation when his relationship with Jill started. Today, DD would not make the cut as DD wouldn’t fall for JB’s BS-

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 6

On 3/15/2022 at 4:04 PM, QuiverFullofBooks said:

I think Jeremy is close enough to what JB wanted, despite some differences in theology, birth control, and dress code. The only real rebel is Derick, and Jill is still a Christian SAHM living near her parents. I doubt that he sees his screening as having failed. 

I am not sure. JB most definitely loved to have an video-/photogenic and eloquent son in law. An interesting background and the lost and found back to Jesus storyline as highly popular with this crowd as well. 
BUT a sports career, higher education, publicly looking down on the Duggars and their knowledge/education, not being easily pressured or willing to follow the cult of JB…. Jeremy looked very shiny from the outside but is definitely a pain in the ass in his own way. Derick started out great, it just didn’t work out JB as expected. As easy as praying on vulnerable people is for cults, it can spectacularly backfire. When Cathy got better and more actively involved, JB had lost. Austin seems to be doing well in maintaining the balance between providing for his family and some distance but also not challenge JB.
I think Ben is actually the golden boy here. JB might be media savvy to a certain point, but his most important thing always seemed to be the hype around his own person- so controlling his family, having them praying at his altar. I doubt Jeremy would have made the cut if Ben and Jesse wouldn’t have been involved. Opposite to the Bates, JB is less into the optics for the public. Probably because he got successful und financially stable to a certain point on his own.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, just_ordinary said:

I am not sure. JB most definitely loved to have an video-/photogenic and eloquent son in law. An interesting background and the lost and found back to Jesus storyline as highly popular with this crowd as well. 
BUT a sports career, higher education, publicly looking down on the Duggars and their knowledge/education, not being easily pressured or willing to follow the cult of JB…. Jeremy looked very shiny from the outside but is definitely a pain in the ass in his own way. Derick started out great, it just didn’t work out JB as expected. As easy as praying on vulnerable people is for cults, it can spectacularly backfire. When Cathy got better and more actively involved, JB had lost. Austin seems to be doing well in maintaining the balance between providing for his family and some distance but also not challenge JB.
I think Ben is actually the golden boy here. JB might be media savvy to a certain point, but his most important thing always seemed to be the hype around his own person- so controlling his family, having them praying at his altar. I doubt Jeremy would have made the cut if Ben and Jesse wouldn’t have been involved. Opposite to the Bates, JB is less into the optics for the public. Probably because he got successful und financially stable to a certain point on his own.

I absolutely agree with this entire comment. JB is all about controlling people, the narrative and brand. Ben and Austin do not rock the boat. They may not agree with all JB shovels but they are either too afraid to kill the cash cow or don’t care enough to do so. Both Derick and JV, and more importantly their families, are more worldly and formally educated. Had Derick had a healthy parent, I doubt JB would have been able to get his tentacles so tightly around DD, and without Ben as a conduit, JV would have never entered the TTH sphere. 

I actually think JV is the least suited for JB’s lifestyle and message. He is East coast, been around the block, likes more mainstream activities (sports, fancy restaurants, golf, lots of alone time with his wife and seemingly less noise and chaos), than the southern reared DD. From all that we’ve seen the Dillards live a far more modest and home spun lifestyle than the Vuolos. I think the Dillards are living a far healthier life and have a more solid relationship. They have figured out a way to flourish without JB and his antics. The Vuolos have not been shown to have successfully parted ways from the TTH and the $upport. Once JV graduates, it will be interesting what the Vuolos do to support themselves; secure housing and job(s).

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 7

JV did have an advantage over Derick and Ben though- he was already a pastor (albeit ordained by his dad and in a tiny parish). Both Ben and Derick went down the pastor route - they set up Seewald and Dillard Family Ministries websites, Derick went to Cross Church College after his missioncation with Jill.
I think JB dreamed of having his own proper ‘ministry’ with pastors that would rake in the money while his sons did the grunt work except for one who would go into politics. His own empire of political and religious influence. Never mind Big Sandy- they would be running camps.

Of course it imploded. Derick fell out with him and trained as a lawyer, Ben did eventually become a pastor but it took a long time and the the scandals had already hit the brand, and Jeremy was using the Duggars as a stepping stone to the fame he craved. Plus neither he nor his son could get elected.

He’ll keep trying - but I’m not sure the younger ones will cooperate as readily.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2

1 hour ago, Idlewild said:

Derick went to Cross Church College after his missioncation with Jill.

Derick went to Cross Church School of Ministry which is far from a college.  It was basically pay around $10,000 a year to volunteer at the church and have it be called ministry training.  IOW pretty much worthless for anything except possibly getting a job at Cross Church.

• Upvote 4

Already a pastor, of a less than 20 member church a sneeze away from MX, even though JV speaks not a lick of Spanish. I always wondered why the educated, worldly, semi-pro soccer player from Philadelphia ended up in a less than tiny plant church in Laredo, TX. I believe there’s a story there, but we will never hear the details. And I think the fact that JB allowed this union just shows how lazy or less than religion driven he actually is. Anyone with 2 functioning neurons could surmise that maybe JV was on the bus to nowheresville when he ended up in Laredo, TX. If he was any sort of up and coming pastor, wouldn’t his daddy have been able to secure him a more desirable position and location? JB Duggar is lazy and opportunistic and sometimes those 2 traits collide causing an implosion- BOOM

Also, JB Duggar is either all smoke and mirrors or a criminal.

There is no way for a person in his circumstances to continue to flourish while supporting an ever growing pool of undereducated, unmotivated, likely poorly skilled people who are unwilling to work for the long haul. JB refused to be educated and denied his kids the same. He has been heard disavowing education. He likely was a less than average learner and that is where his distaste comes from. He also doesn’t believe that adults should work for anyone but themselves. So where are all these thriving Duggar businesses? Are we to believe that Josh’s car lot of crime was actually booming, supporting 8-9 people? Not likely. Plus, wouldn’t 4,5, 6 Duggar car and tow lots in the same area cancel each other out, especially if they were run with the usual Duggar ethics and business practices, open from 10-2 with lunch from 10:30-1:30? Add in JB’s stubborn, know-it-all ways, while he shows time and time again how out of touch he is, and yep, smoke and mirrors it is.

• Upvote 9

On 3/14/2022 at 8:38 AM, imokit said:

I don't think JB is particularly watching 16yo Hannie.  He's and M checked out of parenting long ago, they did a little bit for Josie, but I'd be shocked if they bothered with any of the young ones unless they do something they can't ignore or annoy/interfere with them.

Besides Jana is there, she is still responsible for making sure her younger sisters don't do anything stupid/bother her parents.

Besides all parenting attention over the fall went to Josh with some to Anna and the M's and a tiny bit to Jana's own legal trouble.  They've done their parenting for the year.

JB and Michelle’s Parenting Style:

Spoiler

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt But I Already Did Something Today GIF

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 4

Espoused

Posted 2 hours ago

On 3/14/2022 at 5:38 AM,  imokit said: 

I don't think JB is particularly watching 16yo Hannie.  He's and M checked out of parenting long ago, they did a little bit for Josie, but I'd be shocked if they bothered with any of the young ones unless they do something they can't ignore or annoy/interfere with them.

Wait…leaving Jana in charge? Heck the little J’s might just take a car and mosey on over the state line to OK and attend some type of southern shindig. Hannie is 16… We all know Jana really doesn’t keep that close of an eye on anyone. 😂

• Haha 2

• Coconut Flan locked this topic