IGNORED

Jana Duggar 15: Paying her court fine on Duggar time

HerNameIsBuffy

1 hour ago, SassyPants said:

But than where would she have gotten the money to buy and own property? She either can’t afford rent because she isn’t being fairly compensated or she has oodles of liquid cash that she has used to buy property. Which is it? It can’t be both.

Maybe some specific examples of how I've seen this kind of thing play out might help.  

Take a fairly typical SAHD.  She's raised to believe that she should expect to be married young but that she is to contribute to a "home economy".  She's also raised with Dave Ramsey principles, taught to build wealth, etc.  She also is expected to contribute to household chores (babysitting, housekeeping), but does not pay rent.  Her clothes may or may not be bought by parents.  

It is often expected that they find some way of earning money.  As long as it stays within the home (or the family business), it is generally acceptable.  So it may be crafts sold on etsy.  It may be a small baking business.  It may be illustrations (like the Brookshires).  Nannying is generally considered acceptable.  Not typically the kind of thing that actually covers living expenses, but can easily bring in a few thousand dollars a year - say 6-8k.  Under the tax threshold, but quite plenty for spending money for someone who has few living expenses.  

Again, because Dave Ramsey, most of that goes to savings.  Put $1-2k to spending money, put 10% aside for a tithe.  Jess may still be putting $5k/year into savings.  By 30, she could definitely feasibly have >$50k in savings even without any growth from investing.  Many fundie parents will help their kids with investing, and often in real estate.  Doesn't mean she's got enough income to make a living wage, though.  And as much unpaid labor as she's done for them (and still seems to do), I would have no problem with her not paying rent.  They've probably more than made enough off her on the TV show to cover room and board for the rest of her life.  

Many fundies view accruing wealth as a godly thing.  They're supposed to take dominion of the earth.  They take seriously the verse that says that the borrower is a slave to the lender, and will often view debt as ungodly (outside of extraordinary circumstances) because they shouldn't have any master but God.  It's expected that most young couples will try to buy a house with cash.  

There are exceptions.  There are fundies who create financial dependence on the parents for control, and I can 100% see JB being one of those.  The push for financial independence and to hoard away savings while unmarried is much stronger for fundie young men, so you may see these dynamics play out for sons but not daughters within the same family sometimes.  But it's not unusual for young women, either.  

Remember that for the majority of fundie families, the control isn't an end to itself.  It's control that brings the kids into alignment with their religious convictions.  Debt-free living, financial responsibility, and building wealth are religious convictions for many of them.  

JB seems one who it really is more about just the control as a means to JB being important and getting what he wants, and less about control as a means to compliance with his religious convictions.  I think it's more likely that even if money is technically in Jana's name somewhere, in reality JB has free access to it if he wants and does most of money management for her.  But it wouldn't surprise me one bit to find out that Jana is sitting on an investment account that's got a nice six figures in it from her own earnings plus investing that she's the primary account holder and JB is an authorized user.  

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 5
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

On 2/25/2022 at 11:44 AM, Travelfan said:

I find this topic of discussing how unkept they look or saying they look like they didn’t “try” to be pretty disturbing. These are mostly girls in the 12-15 year age group. This is probably just another thing they were told they had to go to.  Who exactly are they supposed to be trying to impress…us??  No one looks dirty or like their hair isn’t combed. They are wearing perfectly acceptable clothing.  

I'm not a big fan of snarking on young adolescent girls who are living in a very stressed situation. 

I've always felt sorry for the youngest four girls because they were not the pampered babies of the families, like Jeb and Jed Bates. Their earliest years were spent traveling on a noisy bus, sharing a cot with a teenage sister, surrounded by a zillion kids. Then Josie was born and the other three got even less attention. Those little girls were chores, tended to by the oldest girls, who mostly seemed done and ready to move on. That's not a healthy environment for those critical attachment years.

Since then, those youngest girls have always seemed neglected and rather sad. Honestly, Jana/Jessa/Jinger/Jill seemed happier at the same age, even though they were living in a tiny house. 

I don't know what's going on in the TTH, but those four girls haven't gotten what they needed. 

Edited by Jackie3
  • Upvote 15

On 5/7/2022 at 6:41 PM, Jackie3 said:

I'm not a big fan of snarking on young adolescent girls who are living in a very stressed situation. 

I've always felt sorry for the youngest four girls because they were not the pampered babies of the families, like Jeb and Jed Bates. Their earliest years were spent traveling on a noisy bus, sharing a cot with a teenage sister, surrounded by a zillion kids. Then Josie was born and the other three got even less attention. Those little girls were chores, tended to by the oldest girls, who mostly seemed done and ready to move on. That's not a healthy environment for those critical attachment years.

Since then, those youngest girls have always seemed neglected and rather sad. Honestly, Jana/Jessa/Jinger/Jill seemed happier at the same age, even though they were living in a tiny house. 

I don't know what's going on in the TTH, but those four girls haven't gotten what they needed. 

I so agree with all of this.

As per the part I bolded, of the oldest girls all but Jana did then leave, which meant that however disengaged Jill, Jessa and Jinger were, they were at least the most reliable and longstanding caregivers Jennifer, Jordyn and Johannah (respectively) had. When they left to have their own lives, those little girls lost a really important bond and presence in their life. And the way to stay in touch was to in turn be 'useful' to their big sisters, going to their house and helping them prepare food or care for their own babies. The lost girls went from being a bit of a dependent burden to knowing that their place in their ex-caregivers' lives was contingent on being of practical use to them. I think the psychological effects on the younger tranche of Duggar siblings will turn out to be totally different to the older lot. They had such different upbringings.

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 4

• 2 months later...

Could that be Stephen in the back of Jessa’s Fern bday post. At first I thought Ben but looks a bit to tall unless he is standing on something… maybe I am just bored and looking for interesting stuff in boring people 

349F8978-3865-4F27-830F-D6CB764EAD51.jpeg

• Upvote 5

On 5/9/2022 at 11:03 AM, AprilQuilt said:

I so agree with all of this.

As per the part I bolded, of the oldest girls all but Jana did then leave, which meant that however disengaged Jill, Jessa and Jinger were, they were at least the most reliable and longstanding caregivers Jennifer, Jordyn and Johannah (respectively) had. When they left to have their own lives, those little girls lost a really important bond and presence in their life. And the way to stay in touch was to in turn be 'useful' to their big sisters, going to their house and helping them prepare food or care for their own babies. The lost girls went from being a bit of a dependent burden to knowing that their place in their ex-caregivers' lives was contingent on being of practical use to them. I think the psychological effects on the younger tranche of Duggar siblings will turn out to be totally different to the older lot. They had such different upbringings.

Do you know who the was in Jana’s buddy group?

7 hours ago, AussieKrissy said:

Could that be Stephen in the back of Jessa’s Fern bday post. At first I thought Ben but looks a bit to tall unless he is standing on something… maybe I am just bored and looking for interesting stuff in boring people 

I think it’s too hard to tell. However I won’t say it’s impossible for them to get back together. Grace Mally and her boyfriend broke up for awhile before getting back together and getting married. It’s possible in fundieland. 

• Upvote 8

7 hours ago, AussieKrissy said:

looking for interesting stuff in boring people 

Good luck with that!

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 12

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/30/2022 at 5:12 AM, onekidanddone said:

Do you know who the was in Jana’s buddy group?

Jana’s buddy group was Jason, Jackson, and Josie.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 2

• 2 months later...

Is there a way to search these threads?

I just went through Jana's Insta and noticed that most of the photos of Laura and her have been scrubbed. Same for Laura's Insta. I'm just curious if we've talked about it before.

• Upvote 9
  • Thank You 8

32 minutes ago, SisterCupcake said:

Is there a way to search these threads?

I just went through Jana's Insta and noticed that most of the photos of Laura and her have been scrubbed. Same for Laura's Insta. I'm just curious if we've talked about it before.

I noticed I haven’t seen Laura with Jana in awhile. Laura posts somewhat regularly and when she’s with friends, Jana’s not usually there. 

• Upvote 9
  • Thank You 2

Does Jana ever post anything? I hope she’s decided that she wants a private life and is fading into the sunset where the media is concerned. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

One thing I learned recently about Dave Ramsey is that he expects people who use his program to have a minimum amount of money. Some of the fundies we follow here don't make enough for Ramsey.  It's interesting, because I had noticed that about his program. However I didn't know he admitted it. 

• Upvote 3

I know we have a Dave Ramsey thread but I would like to recommend Savy Writes Books 3 part Deep dive into Dave Ramsey on You Tube. A cult leader in his own way.

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 3

On 7/30/2022 at 1:39 AM, AussieKrissy said:

To me it looks like Ben. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Pecansforeveryone said:

I know we have a Dave Ramsey thread but I would like to recommend Savy Writes Books 3 part Deep dive into Dave Ramsey on You Tube. A cult leader in his own way.

Could someone point me to the Dave Ramsey thread? I didn’t see it when I searched.

• 3 weeks later...

Pickles has something up about something about Jana’s case happening on the 6th December anyone know what it is about 

• Upvote 5

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/12/2022 at 12:00 AM, Letgo said:

Jana’s buddy group was Jason, Jackson, and Josie.

And in the last season of the show, when they were doing that crafting project, Jana was pretty sharp with Josie... 
I'm not saying one way or another, but it's refreshing to see that this is normal sibling behavior...

Carry on here:

• Thank You 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic