IGNORED

Jinjer 57: The Seemingly Infinite Seminary Rolls On

Coconut Flan

I would have such a hard time losing my sense of smell when I had a baby. I feel like I was always sniff testing my kids to make sure they hadn’t filled their diaper. If I couldn’t smell, I would constantly be looking down the back of their diaper a million times a day. Jinger must check all the time. And I would be really worried I had stinky arm pits or stinky feet and didn’t know it. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 7

We had Covid in January this year and I lost my sense of smell for three days.  It was actually terrifying.  I hadn’t realized how much I use my sense of smell for everything: like checking the lunch meat to make sure it is still good, or knowing if I burned something while cooking.  I got scared after I left a burner on the stove on and didn’t smell the pan getting really hot.  And I just had no clue when the baby had a dirty diaper.  I was so relieved when it came back suddenly three days later. 

• Upvote 14
  • Love 8

If I were Jinger, I'd be so sad i missed out on new baby smell. I keep telling my coworkers if anyone has a baby I'd like a good head sniffing session. Mama needs a hit of that sweet baby scent.

• Upvote 4
  • Bless Your Heart 1
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

This may also explain why, as others have remarked, she's so skinny right now.  I've been told no sense of smell = not wanting to eat. At least that's what my cousin told me after he had COVID pretty seriously and his one lasting side effect was loss of smell. He lost it for 5 months and he dropped 40lbs during that time, said everything tasted off to him and the thought of eating sometimes just wasn't appealing. He's now back to what he was during his early college sports years.  After he blew his knee out in college, fast food, beer, wings during the bachelor life got to him.

• Upvote 9
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 3

5 hours ago, GuineaPigCourtship said:

If I were Jinger, I'd be so sad i missed out on new baby smell. I keep telling my coworkers if anyone has a baby I'd like a good head sniffing session. Mama needs a hit of that sweet baby scent.

Baby smell ah I remember that, for about ten minutes after a bath my baby smelt like bliss. Then it turned into sour milk and fart smell lol 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 8

I’m jealous of anyone who currently has a lovely smelling baby. The weather has been warmer and my kids have been playing outside and sweating a lot. My 7 year old took off his shoes last night and the room smelled like roadkill in an instant. I gagged. Enjoy your nice smelling baby feet while you can.

• Bless Your Heart 1
  • Haha 24
  • I Agree 1

Both my adult kids lost their senses of smell and taste with Covid. My son is on month 5 and my daughter month #2. My daughter has dropped weight, and she was tiny to begin with. She just says why bother eating if you can’t smell or taste anything-

Covid with a newborn had to have been rough. Good thing she and her husband weren’t essential workers at the time.

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 5

Notice that Jinger waited until the California mask mandate got lifted before she shared the news of her long term side effects from  COVID. Given how that their church and Jeremy’s mentors have been publicly so anti-mandate, I don’t think that’s a coincidence. 

• Upvote 17
  • I Agree 5

This may also explain why, as others have remarked, she's so skinny right now.  I've been told no sense of smell = not wanting to eat. At least that's what my cousin told me after he had COVID pretty seriously and his one lasting side effect was loss of smell. He lost it for 5 months and he dropped 40lbs during that time, said everything tasted off to him and the thought of eating sometimes just wasn't appealing. He's now back to what he was during his early college sports years.  After he blew his knee out in college, fast food, beer, wings during the bachelor life got to him.

Yes! I had Covid (2x actually) but that’s a separate story, and the first time I lost my sense of smell for about 2+ months and I lost close to 15 pounds. I was simply totally uninterested in food if I couldn’t smell it.
  • Upvote 5

23 hours ago, Gottahavedembabies said:

Yes! I had Covid (2x actually) but that’s a separate story, and the first time I lost my sense of smell for about 2+ months and I lost close to 15 pounds. I was simply totally uninterested in food if I couldn’t smell it.

I had covid at the beginning of February, and my appetite still has not returned to normal. I did not lose my senses of smell or taste. Everything tastes normal. I just don't ever feel hungry, and feel full very quickly when I do eat. I'm down ten pounds in a month. It's far from ideal.

• Love 6

On 1/27/2022 at 1:03 PM, SassyPants said:

I’ve always said that JB bows at the altar of the greenback-

On 1/27/2022 at 3:10 PM, neuroticcat said:

I also think fundies who interact with the world simply cannot maintain that rigidity once enough of their kids hit teenage/young adulthood and keep their kids at home. They have to pick their poison. They either get to be totally isolated, rigid, and controlling and hold on to the frumpers and arranged marriage, or they can dole out other “freedoms” like dating with a purpose and more stylish clothing and still control the important doctrines. Whether anyone in the cult admits it or not, kids to have legal agency at 18, and the internet had made actual escape a reality (and threat to the powerful parents).

There's a few things at play here. Quiverful is a recent, 1 or 2 generation movement families get sucked into. So if neither one's grandma, aunts nor cousins don't frumper it up, a nice Quiverful child sees firsthand other people live and dress differently. And then when the Quiverful family isolates itself, the other family members are concerned and sometimes willing to help the children "escape" (Penningtons). So getting conformity into the lifestyle within an extended family is probably unusual as opposed to a multigenerational cult like FLDS. More than one quiverful lass has inquired, "why do I have to wear this gross Handmaid's Tale -looking frumper?"

Additionally, in cults such as FLDS, they knock themselves out demanding conformity and punishing dissenters. Quiverful lifestyle is voluntary, so besides getting side-eyed because your head-covering is askew, there is no real punishment for fundie fashion faux pas. There is room for individuality in the degree of conservative lifestyle choices. You might get a ticket from the JRod Judgey police, but who cares?

Then another problem at maintaining control is social media. Formerly FLDS controlled members by threats to shun them. Now they see on social media people who were formerly shunned are fine. Social media makes isolating people impossible.

JB and Meech weren't born into this lifestyle like JRod. Their life experiences made them susceptible to the panacea of promise that Quiverful lifestyle would all their problems solved and make their children turn out well. 

Lastly, frumpers were popular in the 80's. I, sadly thought mine was cute, big embroidered collar and all! Now, of course, I cringe when I see Meesh in hers

• Upvote 6
  • Confused 1
  • Thank You 1

9 hours ago, Cults-r-us said:

So if neither one's grandma, aunts nor cousins don't frumper it up, a nice Quiverful child sees firsthand other people live and dress differently.

I snorted. You brought up some good aspects I hadn't thought about. 

• Upvote 4

9 hours ago, Cults-r-us said:

There's a few things at play here. Quiverful is a recent, 1 or 2 generation movement families get sucked into. So if neither one's grandma, aunts nor cousins don't frumper it up, a nice Quiverful child sees firsthand other people live and dress differently. And then when the Quiverful family isolates itself, the other family members are concerned and sometimes willing to help the children "escape" (Penningtons). So getting conformity into the lifestyle within an extended family is probably unusual as opposed to a multigenerational cult like FLDS. More than one quiverful lass has inquired, "why do I have to wear this gross Handmaid's Tale -looking frumper?"

Additionally, in cults such as FLDS, they knock themselves out demanding conformity and punishing dissenters. Quiverful lifestyle is voluntary, so besides getting side-eyed because your head-covering is askew, there is no real punishment for fundie fashion faux pas. There is room for individuality in the degree of conservative lifestyle choices. You might get a ticket from the JRod Judgey police, but who cares?

Then another problem at maintaining control is social media. Formerly FLDS controlled members by threats to shun them. Now they see on social media people who were formerly shunned are fine. Social media makes isolating people impossible.

JB and Meech weren't born into this lifestyle like JRod. Their life experiences made them susceptible to the panacea of promise that Quiverful lifestyle would all their problems solved and make their children turn out well. 

Lastly, frumpers were popular in the 80's. I, sadly thought mine was cute, big embroidered collar and all! Now, of course, I cringe when I see Meesh in hers

I agree with your points. One of the few parents who exhibit extreme control and isolation is Jill Rod. Her kids aren’t allowed their own social media. Even as adults. They have to use Jill’s. Almost all of their cousins follow the fundie rules. They aren’t allowed any activities where they would be socializing with mainstream kids. I honestly wonder how they would react to a person being really nice to them that was covered head to toe with tattoos, piercings, and in “immodest” clothing. They would have no idea how to act. 

• Upvote 5

They would be cold to them so the person didn't think they approved. Or were interested.

• I Agree 1

3 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I agree with your points. One of the few parents who exhibit extreme control and isolation is Jill Rod. Her kids aren’t allowed their own social media. Even as adults. They have to use Jill’s. Almost all of their cousins follow the fundie rules. They aren’t allowed any activities where they would be socializing with mainstream kids. I honestly wonder how they would react to a person being really nice to them that was covered head to toe with tattoos, piercings, and in “immodest” clothing. They would have no idea how to act. 

Well we know.they struggle with campground etiquette. And, sadly, even with other fundies, they are backward and awkward. One is lucky to meet other people at all when one lives in a cult.

• Upvote 2

I am currently FJing with a baby sleeping on my chest, and I can smell her perfect little head.

It is a trade off however. She was partying this morning at 2 after throwing up her bottle all over both of us. But she smiled and cooed so sweetly at me from the bath tub that it almost made the clean up worth it.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 29

10 minutes ago, BensAllergies said:

I am currently FJing with a baby sleeping on my chest, and I can smell her perfect little head.

It is a trade off however. She was partying this morning at 2 after throwing up her bottle all over both of us. But she smiled and cooed so sweetly at me from the bath tub that it almost made the clean up worth it.

I’m so embarrassed to admit that even when things got gross in the middle of the night, I would usually wait until morning to give a bath. There were a couple times that were insane and there was no choice. But usually we would strip the kid, wipe with a wet rag, put new clothes on, change the sheets, and go back to bed. But I do remember one diaper blowout that was literally everywhere. That was a bath at 2am for sure. I still don’t understand how it happened. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

15 hours ago, Cults-r-us said:

Quiverfull is nondenominational movement to have as many babies as possible. While it may coincide with other conservative Christian cults/movements, it's not a whole lifestyle. 

The cult the Duggar belonged to was IBLP, which endorsed Quiverfull ideology, but wasn't the only source of Quiverfull ideology. They also used ATI to homeschool and their religion is IFB. I still consider them IFB if they go to an SBC church. Obviously they're a lot more extreme than your standard SBC couple. Changing churches doesn't necessarily mean they've changed their beliefs.

• Upvote 4

If you made a graph charting all ages and their preferred partying times, 2am would have a peak in babies and college kids.

• Haha 18

My ability to taste is starting to come back but certain foods taste funky to me. I have the Covid fatigue and body aches as well. This is a nasty virus! 

• Love 22

My family and I got Covid in January and thankfully it was a very mild case. My husband and I are vaccinated and boosted but our daughters are too young for it. I’ve always had a really good sense of smell, almost to the point where it’s detrimental. Smells really bother me. And Covid has kind of just taking the edge off of it for me. So it’s a terrible as it was, I’m almost enjoying this little break from smelling every little thing all day. My poor three-year-old got my sense of smell and Covid clearly did not change it because she smelled a milkshake on my husband‘s breath the other day that he had eaten an hour prior while she was taking a nap. 😂😂 he went to give her a hug and kiss and she said “daddy did you have chocolate??  Without me?!”  My little protégé. 

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 11
  • Love 7

Is Jeremy graduating in a few months? Shouldn't we start hearing about what his-post graduation plans are?

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

Is Jeremy graduating in a few months? Shouldn't we start hearing about what his-post graduation plans are?

My guess- he will be taken on as staff at the McArthur place which will allow time for his ‘books’ and general pursuit of paid celebrity status.

• Upvote 3
  • Disgust 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 4

On 3/5/2022 at 6:39 PM, Expectopatronus said:

My ability to taste is starting to come back but certain foods taste funky to me. I have the Covid fatigue and body aches as well. This is a nasty virus! 

I have heard so many other people share similar experiences to you - which is why even though mask mandates have been lifted in my state (California), I am still wearing my mask whenever I go inside a business or office, am still mostly keeping semi-isolated (thankfully my boss is still not having clients come into the office), and taking the best precautions I can to avoid getting Covid.  My sister wanted to meet for coffee this week, and I suggested maybe we could have it at her office instead.  I hope you will fully recover soon.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

I decided two years ago that I'll be wearing a mask in public places as long as I have to wear a mask to get my monthly medical treatment.  If the hospital thinks I need it to be safe there, then goodness knows I need it in the grocery store where they do zero health checks.  

Edited by Coconut Flan
  • Upvote 14
  • I Agree 6

• Coconut Flan locked this topic