IGNORED

Joe & Kendra 16: Praise - ing Their Brooklyn All the Day Long!

nelliebelle1197

On 5/23/2021 at 6:57 AM, Marionette said:

The spelling is probably a reference to Mount Moriah in the Bible (and/or the Temple Mount). It is the location of where Abraham took Isaac to sacrifice him, and I believe where Solomon built the temple. It’s significant to some fundies for some reason (I read a book in my fundie days that used a Mount Moriah analogy throughout), otherwise it’s just another “Bible name.” 

Wonder what was significant about Kendra? A 20 YO mom?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SassyPants said:

Wonder what was significant about Kendra? A 20 YO mom?

yeah I feel like there's been quite an evolution from Kendra and Lauren to Moriah. I've noticed some fundie families seem to tend towards Bibilical boys' names (Jeremiah, Joseph, Samuel, etc etc etc) but more trendy girls' names (Caitlin, Maddie, Lauren). Not always - you've got your Hosannahs and your Aletheas, your Heistheways... - but the tendency is there. The difference between the style of names among the Rod girls vs boys, is notable, for instance. Even Jessa chose Ivy's first name 'just because', after all their careful thought about the boys' names.

(When I first heard what they'd called Ivy I assumed it was a Christianity-related choice because ivy and vines, once associated with Dionysus, became v much part of the iconography of Christ in the early church. In fact Jesus' life and qualities are very very closely aligned with Dionysus - a god of transfiguration and ecstasy; definitely able and willing to turn water into wine and to return from the dead. He was all about change of state, and liminality: being one thing but also another; and neither. Jessa would be horrified to know how much of Jesus' inspiration came from a god to whom drunkenness was sacred and in whose name women were permitted to go absolutely batshit mental in the woods, physically ripping apart any man who got in their way. Amazing. That's what I think of whenever I hear the name Ivy.)

• Upvote 18
  • Haha 12
  • I Agree 1

44 minutes ago, AprilQuilt said:

(When I first heard what they'd called Ivy I assumed it was a Christianity-related choice because ivy and vines, once associated with Dionysus, became v much part of the iconography of Christ in the early church. In fact Jesus' life and qualities are very very closely aligned with Dionysus - a god of transfiguration and ecstasy; definitely able and willing to turn water into wine and to return from the dead. He was all about change of state, and liminality: being one thing but also another; and neither. Jessa would be horrified to know how much of Jesus' inspiration came from a god to whom drunkenness was sacred and in whose name women were permitted to go absolutely batshit mental in the woods, physically ripping apart any man who got in their way. Amazing. That's what I think of whenever I hear the name Ivy.)

Now if you had a YouTube channel or podcast talking about this stuff I'd be tripping over myself to subscribe.  Take note, Duggars...this is how you make religion talk interesting af.

• Upvote 17
  • Haha 3
  • I Agree 1

I find the evolution of naming in a large family interesting. Kendra -> Moriah is a change. With the Duggs, you have predominantly traditional names early on and then tryndy 

TO: Jordyn-Grace Makiya, Josie Brooklyn, Jubilee Shalom

You know, for as bad as the duplicate names in the duggar family are, the Bates having Kelly, Addie (Addallee), Ellie, and Callie is really bad too. 

• Upvote 11

On 5/23/2021 at 4:36 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

In my head, I pronounce it More-eye-uh. But I bet they pronounce it just like Mariah. In my head, I also pronounce Nurie like “ner-ee” but the Rods pronounce it like Marie. 

I've only read the Rod threads and never heard Nurie pronounced out loud. In my head, it's been noor-ee for like 10 years. ?

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 7

1 minute ago, yeahthatsme74 said:

I've only read the Rod threads and never heard Nurie pronounced out loud. In my head, it's been noor-ee for like 10 years. ?

It’s so weird to hear Jill say it on video. It really does sound like Marie but with an N.

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 3

25 minutes ago, yeahthatsme74 said:

There is a local LA politician named Nury Martinez and when I have seen her interviewed it’s like Marie but with the first syllable rhyming with fur. If that makes sense. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

53 minutes ago, yeahthatsme74 said:

It is if you speak Arabic. Nuri/Noori, Nur/Noor are Arabic names. Which also gives me the absolute lols. Jill says they got the name from David's Portuguese family or something which sounds legit but the name Nuria generally either derives from the Virgin of Nuria, a shrine in Catalonia, or the aforementioned Nur and its variations that presumably made it to Iberia with the Moors. So, well done Jill, you either got it from the Catholics or the Muslims. Slow clap.

ETA: just to be clear, the Rods are the only people who pronounce it like Marie.

4 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Now if you had a YouTube channel or podcast talking about this stuff I'd be tripping over myself to subscribe.  Take note, Duggars...this is how you make religion talk interesting af.

? I reckon we should have a Fundie Debunk podcast where each episode a guest speaker from FJ enlightens everyone on something fundies should definitely already know about.

Edited by AprilQuilt
  • Upvote 24

33 minutes ago, AprilQuilt said:

It is if you speak Arabic. Nuri/Noori, Nur/Noor are Arabic names. Which also gives me the absolute lols. Jill says they got the name from David's Portuguese family or something which sounds legit but the name Nuria generally either derives from the Virgin of Nuria, a shrine in Catalonia, or the aforementioned Nur and its variations that presumably made it to Iberia with the Moors. So, well done Jill, you either got it from the Catholics or the Muslims. Slow clap.

ETA: just to be clear, the Rods are the only people who pronounce it like Marie.

? I reckon we should have a Fundie Debunk podcast where each episode a guest speaker from FJ enlightens everyone on something fundies should definitely already know about.

This would be awesome. 

• Upvote 9

8 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Try the YouTube channel religionforbreakfast.  One I recently Stumbled across.  

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 5

I do a lot of genealogy, and some of my favorite names are the youngest kids of the 10+ kid families. By that point, they've gone through all the relatives they can name them after and they can really get into the interesting ones like Florida (eventually shortened to Floria), Arkansas (Kansas for short), Azilla, Zita, Urban, Leander, Leocadia (Cadie)... 

• Upvote 15

12 hours ago, theotherelise said:

You know, for as bad as the duplicate names in the duggar family are, the Bates having Kelly, Addie (Addallee), Ellie, and Callie is really bad too. 

The Radfords have Millie, Ellie, Tillie and Hallie. 

• Upvote 4
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Eyeroll 3
  • WTF 1

15 hours ago, theotherelise said:

And Allie. Don't forget Allie.

• Upvote 2

My mom knew twins that were named Heaven and Nevaeh.

On 5/24/2021 at 9:36 PM, clueliss said:

Try the YouTube channel religionforbreakfast.  One I recently Stumbled across.  

I just found this channel last week and was wondering if anyone here would find it interesting. The few videos I've had a chance to watch are very interesting. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eyeroll 1

4 hours ago, Knight of Ni said:

I work for a youth program. One year we had identical twins who were named (not their real names but you get the idea) Tra'ah and Tre'ah. They went exclusively by unrelated nicknames IRL.

There was also a mom who named all her kids after their father. Son was Robert Smith, Jr and both her daughters were Roberta Smith (again, not real names). I wish I could say this was the only instance of that. 

• Upvote 2

Didn’t George Foreman do that as well - name all his kids George? (Looked it up and it was just the boys, thankfully. George Edward Foreman Jr. through to VI.) 

• Upvote 5

7 minutes ago, CuttySark said:

Didn’t George Foreman do that as well - name all his kids George? (Looked it up and it was just the boys, thankfully. George Edward Foreman Jr. through to VI.) 

Yes he did!!  I always thought it was odd. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Knight of Ni said:

I just found this channel last week and was wondering if anyone here would find it interesting. The few videos I've had a chance to watch are very interesting. 

There were brothers on the grade level I taught named Da’Realist and Da’Money. They also had an older sister named Da’Miracle.

• Sad 3
  • WTF 1

I had a family with matching names too,think Dawn, Don and Donna (not the actual names). I always find it strange that with all the names to choose from parents only like one.

• Upvote 5

On 5/24/2021 at 4:52 PM, AprilQuilt said:

Not sure what I’m doin’ in a Duggar thread but for years i figured “Nurie” was another spelling if the name Noory, as in George Noory, a fairly famous late-night radio host who specializes in weird topics - UFOs, conspiracy theories, etc.   

There’s also a middle eastern family name, Kury, pronounced either “curry” or “koory,” depending; but again, stress on the first syllable.

VERY tangentially connected to this: for years I figured Sepulveda was sep-ool-VAY-duh, just now hearing it as seh-PULL-vah-duh! 

I’m so glad I never tried to (had to) use that word while in Southern Cali!!! :D 

• Upvote 2

On 5/24/2021 at 8:30 PM, theotherelise said:

I find the evolution of naming in a large family interesting. Kendra -> Moriah is a change. With the Duggs, you have predominantly traditional names early on and then tryndy 

TO: Jordyn-Grace Makiya, Josie Brooklyn, Jubilee Shalom

But they had Jessa (trendy?) and Jinger (kreative?) at the beginning, and Johanna and Jennifer at the end. I don't think Johanna or Jennifer were trendy names in 2005-2007. Jubilee Shalom is a very religious name and both Bates and Duggars have reserved it for unborn babies.

• Upvote 7
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, CuttySark said:

He did. And Bobby Kennedy had two daughters named Mary, Mary Kerry and Mary Courtney and just called by their middle names, which is an Irish Catholic thing (the other two daughters were named after family members).

• Upvote 8

Why do these discussions about 'my mum's sister-in-law once knew a kid called X' always end up sounding a little ...racist? ...classist? 

Ugh. 

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 12
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 3

4 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

But they had Jessa (trendy?) and Jinger (kreative?) at the beginning, and Johanna and Jennifer at the end. I don't think Johanna or Jennifer were trendy names in 2005-2007. Jubilee Shalom is a very religious name and both Bates and Duggars have reserved it for unborn babies.

I wouldn’t call Jessa trendy. Jessica, yes, but not Jessa. My kids are 34 and 30, so in the same age range as the oldest Duggars, and I knew no little Jessa, Jana or Jinger. Maybe these were more Southern names? 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bal maiden said:

Why do these discussions about 'my mum's sister-in-law once knew a kid called X' always end up sounding a little ...racist? ...classist? 

Ugh. 

Because they are. 

And speaking of awesome ancestral names, I had an ancestor who fought in the Civil War named Narcissus.

• Upvote 12

• Coconut Flan locked this topic