IGNORED

Joe & Kendra 16: Praise - ing Their Brooklyn All the Day Long!

nelliebelle1197

2 hours ago, JordynDarby5 said:

On Castle Alexis's high school boyfriend was named Ashley. 

My primary association with men named Ashley is Gone With the Wind

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 5

2 minutes ago, Baxter said:

@HerNameIsBuffy Douglas used to be a girl's name and now I think is pretty much exclusively used for boys. That's the only one I can think of.

Was it?!  I need a hug emoji - you've found the holy grail!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Thanks! It was used for girls in the 17th and 18th centuries so it's been a while...

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 4

2 hours ago, Jinder Roles said:

Lol, because it is. I definitely had to unlearn my internalized classism related to names. 

However, I’ve noticed that certain regions/people are more judgy about names than others. 

A lot of names that (white) Americans think are way out of the box are pretty normal to me. 

Sorry, yeah, in my original post I was being too indirect-British about it. "Why does this seem kind of racist and classist?" is British for "this shit is racist and classist as fuck". 

Regarding Douglas as a girl's name: yes, it was used for girls before boys, but before that it was a surname. 

Edited by bal maiden
  • Upvote 14
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I'm strongly tempted to break out the name dictionary to see if there are any others :D

Had no idea about Douglas - it feels like surnames are usually masculine or unisex, I can't think of another that was ever just used for girls!

3 minutes ago, bal maiden said:

Sorry, yeah, in my original post I was being too indirect-British about it. "Why does this seem kind of racist and classist?" is British for "this shit is racist and classist as fuck". 

Regarding Douglas as a girl's name: yes, it was used for girls before boys, but before that it was a surname. 

Yes, I was really surprised to learn this, only because Scottish-surnames-as-first-names are so (traditionally) masculine! The more you know

• Upvote 7

3 hours ago, seraaa said:

Yes, I was really surprised to learn this, only because Scottish-surnames-as-first-names are so (traditionally) masculine! The more you know

I personally link the explosion of the first name Madison for girls to the 1984 movie Splash, where the mermaid character chooses that for her name from a street sign for Madison Avenue. 

Edited by WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo?
Added video clip
  • Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

Know

8 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Just wanted to let you know this is now the question my brain keeps chewing on when bored.  I am determined to find one, but so far I can't think of any.

(I have a unisex name that started as a male nickname and now is used more my girls in the US, but still common enough for guys that I get a lot of mail addressed to Mr. MyRealNameWhichIsMoreUnisexThanBuffy.  

I know one! Artemis, goddess of hunting but given to boys because hunting=manly.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 3

7 hours ago, Jinder Roles said:

Lol, because it is. I definitely had to unlearn my internalized classism related to names. 

However, I’ve noticed that certain regions/people are more judgy about names than others. 

A lot of names that (white) Americans think are way out of the box are pretty normal to me. 

Personally, I find some of the names that come out of Hollywood to be odd; Pilot, Moon Unit, and however one pronounces Elon Musk’s choice. My kiddo has a cultural middle name that I have to explain, which I’m fine with. Moon Unit, however; is a tad odd. 

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 1

14 hours ago, JordynDarby5 said:

On Castle Alexis's high school boyfriend was named Ashley. 

Which is amusing because Alexis is a male name! (In Russia).

• Upvote 7

On 5/28/2021 at 3:31 PM, Baxter said:

@HerNameIsBuffy Douglas used to be a girl's name and now I think is pretty much exclusively used for boys. That's the only one I can think of.

I remembered reading a long time ago that "Michael" was originally a female name. Can't remember where, but did find this: https://nameberry.com/babyname/Michael/girl

Didn't know about Douglas, though.

I once did an article about names--the sociologist I spoke to said there wasn't a lot of research but among the few things he said was that people in general (in the US) don't like unisex names. So they tend to settle into one gender or the other. Or be a unisex name with a longer, gender specific version (ie., Chris is also Christina or Christopher, Pat is Patrick or Patricia). I'm interested to see if our greater understanding of gender identity changes that.

• Upvote 6

On 5/28/2021 at 9:34 PM, seraaa said:

My primary association with men named Ashley is Gone With the Wind

Way back in the 90s, when I was a teaching assistant in England, one of the students was a boy called Ashley. I’ve never met another one in real life, though…

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Nothing if not critical said:

Way back in the 90s, when I was a teaching assistant in England, one of the students was a boy called Ashley. I’ve never met another one in real life, though…

In the US most people I think associate the male name Ashley with a character from Gone with the Wind. But George Hamilton's son is also named Ashley (he was married to Shannen Doherty).

I remember trying to discourage a friend from naming her son Leslie (this was in the 80s in the US)--it was a family name and we were all in a very Celtic phase at the time, but geez, it would be like a boy named Sue. (Wound up as the middle name).

In the US, it's also regional. For example, if I see the name Lynn I pretty much envision a female, but it is not an uncommon name for males in the South.

When I was a young reporter, I used the shortened version of my name as it could be unisex and people didn't take you seriously if they thought you were a woman. My mail was always addressed to "Mr.," or when I worked in academia, "Dr." (I'm don't have a doctorate). I think the assumption was that it is far less insulting to assume a woman is a man than vice versa.

• Upvote 8

@patsymae I think Leslie is a regional thing. For me, it would be a 50/50 split between males and females I’ve met named Leslie or Lesley. Most male Robins have been Robin whilst females have been Robyn. Have others known males who spell Robyn with a Y?

• Upvote 3

In the UK, 72 % of babies named Ashley in 2019 were male, 28 % female. In 1996, 87 % of babies named Ashley were male, 13 % female. It has always been predominantly male in the UK. The girls version would be Ashleigh (95 % female). 

• Upvote 8
  • Thank You 3

I tend to think of Ashley as female, probably because the first time I heard the name was Ashley Olsen.

I have a Sims 4 game going on right now with a female Sim called Artemis in it! She even has a twin brother called Apollo :pb_lol::pb_lol: Sadly there’s no archery skill in Sims 4, or she’d totally be a badass archer.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 4

On 5/28/2021 at 11:36 AM, Knight of Ni said:

I went to school with a male Courtney. I know a few male Shannons and a male Leslie.

Are there any feminine names that have transitioned to masculine? There must be but I can’t think of any off the top of my head.

The name Christian was used in English speaking countries for females originally and then switched to males.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 2

11 minutes ago, Jrodseyeliner said:

Vivian used to be a male name, now it is definitely more feminine. 

Their was a lab technician who help with heart surgeries who’s name was Vivian. I saw the movie about him & apparently his mother thought he was going to be a girl. 

• Upvote 2

I've been seeing more people use James for girls, including Blake Lively/Ryan Reynolds for their 3rd daughter and then someone I know from college.

• Upvote 3

On 5/29/2021 at 4:15 AM, Ausje said:

Which is amusing because Alexis is a male name! (In Russia).

Also in Latin America, I had a boyfriend that had that name. 

6 minutes ago, freethemall said:

I've been seeing more people use James for girls, including Blake Lively/Ryan Reynolds for their 3rd daughter and then someone I know from college.

Actually, I think James is their first daughter and it kinda set that trend.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

On 5/28/2021 at 8:40 PM, PlentyOfJesusFishInTheSea said:

Know

I know one! Artemis, goddess of hunting but given to boys because hunting=manly.

My granddaughter is named Emrys which one meaning says is "immortal". Her parents were into the TV show "Merlin".

• Upvote 4
  • Love 2

I know a young fellow who’s mother named him Effortless Breath of Life. I kid you not. She said giving birth to him was as easy as breathing. He was her 4th or 5th. She spells Effortless differently, and he goes by Effy.

Names morph over the years. Instead of the once popular Cindy, more often you hear girls named Sydney. Jack now is often changed to Jax. William is still used but more popular these days is its derivative, Liam. A shortened name for Alexander is not just Alex anymore but also Zander or Xander, and often either of those last two spellings are used for first names bypassing Alexander altogether.

Yes, the popularity of Madison is directly related to the hit movie Splash. The movie also boosted the popularity of the name Hannah since Daryl Hannah played the character of Madison.

Daryl is not common and has been used for either male and female.

I disagree wholeheartedly that unisex names are not preferred. 

Edited by Cam
  • Upvote 7

My good friend is a trans man who hadn't had a legal name change yet (but has changed genders on his ID's). His given name at birth is Lauren but everybody calls him Lorne.

ETA I just remembered thaf I know another transmasculine person name Laurie who has just stuck with their name, even after top surgery and hormones. They are generally percieved as a man and in the small town they live in most people use 'he' pronouns. They really don't care which pronoun people use as long as they are treated with respect. Using 'she' pronouns for them feels weird to me, but my ex partner who knew them pre transition still refers to them as 'she.'

As for Vivian, the same ex I was talking about in the previous paragrah has a student named Vivian with queer parents, and they ask they nobody genders their child. My ex finds this odd because Vivian is a 'feminine' name in her mind. Mind you my ex has some very old school views about gender fluidity.

Edited by VeryNikeSeamstress
  • Thank You 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic