IGNORED

Joe & Kendra 16: Praise - ing Their Brooklyn All the Day Long!

nelliebelle1197

The only male Lorne I ever heard of is Lorne Michaels the Executive Producer of Saturday Night Live. 

Edited by Jana814
  • Upvote 3

Lorne was the green demon nightclub owner on Angel who could receive impressions of people's futures based on the karaoke they sang.

• Upvote 10
  • Love 3

I didn’t see Shirley mentioned, but I was so confused as a tween when I read the later Anne of Green Gables books and her child named Shirley was a boy. My Grandmother’s name is Shirley so to me it had always been a feminine name.

Apparently my Grandmother (along with many other girls when she was born) was named after Shirley Temple and (as far as I know) that’s when and why it became seen as more of a feminine name. I’ve never met a male Shirley, though I’ve met men named Shannon, Leslie, and Ashley. 

I had no idea about Douglas being seen as a feminine name before. Very cool! Names are fun ?

• Upvote 10

On 5/28/2021 at 9:55 AM, Meggo said:

And Mennonite - every family has a Helen, Margaret, Elizabeth, Sarah, Anne, Peter, Jacob, Henry

And there's the maternal side of my family tree ?

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 7

The J - Duggar name I think is the coolest is Jinger.  Then I like Jessa, it has a high energy sound. 

In my area it common for a son’s first name to be their mom’s maiden last name. Some kids luck out with names like James, Todd and Barry. A few are interesting like McCullough, Myers and Coburn. 

Edited by Cam
  • Upvote 4

If any of you remember reading Enid Blyton's series "Malory Towers" when you were young, the main character was named Darrell. I've only met one other Darrell who was a girl.

In our family we have a male Lindsey and a male Hilary. And I remember in grade school a boy getting teased because his middle name was Shannon.

• Upvote 4

21 hours ago, VeryNikeSeamstress said:

person name Laurie

I will forever associate that name with Little Women.

As for Vivian as a name two people come to my mind, Vivian Campbell lead guitarist for Def Leppard or the wonderful Vivian Vance from I Love Lucy.

This name information is way more interesting. than JoKen.

• Upvote 6

58 minutes ago, jegfile said:

If any of you remember reading Enid Blyton's series "Malory Towers" when you were young, the main character was named Darrell. I've only met one other Darrell who was a girl.

In our family we have a male Lindsey and a male Hilary. And I remember in grade school a boy getting teased because his middle name was Shannon.

I do remember those books. I enjoyed them so much. They didn't stand the test of time.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Bad Wolf said:

I do remember those books. I enjoyed them so much. They didn't stand the test of time.

No, they did not!

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, jegfile said:

And Darrell in Malory Towers was named after the Enid Blyton's second husband. Given she was a bigoted old cow, I'm surprised she did that.

• Thank You 1

1 hour ago, jegfile said:

20 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

15 minutes ago, bal maiden said:

And Darrell in Malory Towers was named after the Enid Blyton's second husband. Given she was a bigoted old cow, I'm surprised she did that.

I was just going to say that Darrell Rivers was named after Darrell Waters, her husband. You know what are some school stories that are more interesting than Enid Blyton, the books by Angela Brazil. Especially her early ones. They are much more varied with more fleshed out/interesting characters and storylines, really interesting sociologically because of schools for girls being quite the new thing. Of course they suffer from racism, classiscm and sexism too. Lots of them are out of copyright and available on project gutenberg. That's how I found them.

• Thank You 4

4 minutes ago, medimus said:

I was just going to say that Darrell Rivers was named after Darrell Waters, her husband. You know what are some school stories that are more interesting than Enid Blyton, the books by Angela Brazil. Especially her early ones. They are much more varied with more fleshed out/interesting characters and storylines, really interesting sociologically because of schools for girls being quite the new thing. Of course they suffer from racism, classiscm and sexism too. Lots of them are out of copyright and available on project gutenberg. That's how I found them.

For aficionados of the old school stories or girls' stories from around the same period. No Angela Brazil, sadly

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

On 5/28/2021 at 8:42 PM, seraaa said:

I'm strongly tempted to break out the name dictionary to see if there are any others :D

Had no idea about Douglas - it feels like surnames are usually masculine or unisex, I can't think of another that was ever just used for girls!

<snip>

Surnames as first names for girls was definitely a thing in the seventeenth century - it's one way to honour a family name/connection, especially one coming down the female line or perhaps if the child was an heiress. So there were girls named things like Fleetwood, Carey, Essex, Parnell, Clopton (!) etc etc. But then I've also seen girls named Richard so who the hell knows.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 3

12 minutes ago, AprilQuilt said:

Surnames as first names for girls was definitely a thing in the seventeenth century - it's one way to honour a family name/connection, especially one coming down the female line or perhaps if the child was an heiress. So there were girls named things like Fleetwood, Carey, Essex, Parnell, Clopton (!) etc etc. But then I've also seen girls named Richard so who the hell knows.

This is something that I still see in the South a lot as a teacher. I’ve taught girls named Campbell and McCaffery and all sorts of interesting last names. I would continue this tradition with my own maiden name myself if it wasn’t a title. My family has a tradition of using women’s maiden names as middle names, so my brother's middle name is our paternal grandmother's maiden name, my cousin has her mom’s maiden name as her middle, and if I ever have a daughter, I plan on using my great grandmother's maiden name as her middle name. I ended up not getting the family tradition with my name because my mom wanted to name me after her foster mother from when she was a teen. I know some people really hate the trend, but I think it’s such an interesting thing to see where the names come from. One reason I love fundies, there’s never an end to the babies so I get to see new names and name combinations that I usually wouldn’t think of. 

• Upvote 6

2 hours ago, JanasTattooParlor said:

This is something that I still see in the South a lot as a teacher. I’ve taught girls named Campbell and McCaffery and all sorts of interesting last names. I would continue this tradition with my own maiden name myself if it wasn’t a title. My family has a tradition of using women’s maiden names as middle names, so my brother's middle name is our paternal grandmother's maiden name, my cousin has her mom’s maiden name as her middle, and if I ever have a daughter, I plan on using my great grandmother's maiden name as her middle name. I ended up not getting the family tradition with my name because my mom wanted to name me after her foster mother from when she was a teen. I know some people really hate the trend, but I think it’s such an interesting thing to see where the names come from. One reason I love fundies, there’s never an end to the babies so I get to see new names and name combinations that I usually wouldn’t think of. 

My middle name is my mom's maiden name. It's a very feminine sounding name. I gave my daughter the same middle name. Most of the girls on my mom's have the same middle name as well. 

• Upvote 7

On 5/28/2021 at 9:35 AM, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Just wanted to let you know this is now the question my brain keeps chewing on when bored.  I am determined to find one, but so far I can't think of any.

(I have a unisex name that started as a male nickname and now is used more my girls in the US, but still common enough for guys that I get a lot of mail addressed to Mr. MyRealNameWhichIsMoreUnisexThanBuffy.  

Based on what you said I have a pretty good idea what your name is, but I think Buffy suits you much better.

On 5/28/2021 at 10:08 AM, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Me too....we'll find one!  

The only Sage I'd heard of was Stallone's son, so control sample of one for me but he's male.  

Sage Karam just raced in the Indy 500. If I remember correctly he was only 19 or 20 his rookie year racing at Indy. (He is also male.)

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Cam said:

The J - Duggar name I think is the coolest is Jinger.  Then I like Jessa, it has a high energy sound. 

In my area it common for a son’s first name to be their mom’s maiden last name. Some kids luck out with names like James, Todd and Barry. A few are interesting like McCullough, Myers and Coburn. 

To me JInger Nicole is pretty much a stripper name

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1
  • Haha 3

I work with a lot of rural communities and in a male dominated field. After guessing wrong in my head many times, I now pretty much expect every name to be male. I've worked with men named Stacy, Leslie, Tracy, Dana, and Courtney. 

I knew someone whose daughter was named Payton and she married a guy who had a son the same age named Peyton. 

Sharing gender pronouns is useful for many reasons!

• Upvote 6

Like I have said before my mother was a pre-school teacher. Over the years she had kids who’s names can be either gender. Sometimes she wasn’t sure till she met the kid.  A girl I went to school with has 2 boys who’s names can be either gender. 

My neighbor who I was completely in love with has parents who’s names can be either gender. A few years back I was getting their mail while taking care of their son’s dog & a few pieces of mail (junk) had mr/mrs with the wrong name. 

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, Jana814 said:

Like I have said before my mother was a pre-school teacher. Over the years she had kids who’s names can be either gender. Sometimes she wasn’t sure till she met the kid.  A girl I went to school with has 2 boys who’s names can be either gender. 

I see this a lot as a teacher. I’ve had so many students that I’ve had to look at their middle name in order to determine male or female before I meet them since I practice all of their names to get any mispronunciations out of the way before Day 1. I currently have two students in the same class who both have a typically male name and have the same misspelling that of that name, and one's a boy and the other’s a girl. It threw me off so much the first time I met them because the girl has a gender neutral middle name as well. I’m all for making my pronouns clear and made sure that despite having a very typically female name, that my pronouns are listed in my email and social media. 

• Upvote 7

On 5/28/2021 at 1:08 PM, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Me too....we'll find one!  

The only Sage I'd heard of was Stallone's son, so control sample of one for me but he's male.  

I know a male Sage. Hes a older teenager. 

I feel like Sage is one of those names that's migrated over the last 30 years or so. Names like Jordan, if I knew the age of the person, I'd be able to take a good guess at their gender. I went to school with so many male Jordans (and Ashleys!) in England in the 90s, but nowadays I'd assume a new baby Jordan was probably a girl. Same with Taylor, which feels really feminine to me now although I know it didn't always.

• Upvote 3

On 5/31/2021 at 7:01 AM, GiggleOfGirls said:

I didn’t see Shirley mentioned, but I was so confused as a tween when I read the later Anne of Green Gables books and her child named Shirley was a boy. My Grandmother’s name is Shirley so to me it had always been a feminine name.

Apparently my Grandmother (along with many other girls when she was born) was named after Shirley Temple and (as far as I know) that’s when and why it became seen as more of a feminine name. I’ve never met a male Shirley, though I’ve met men named Shannon, Leslie, and Ashley. 

I had no idea about Douglas being seen as a feminine name before. Very cool! Names are fun ?

Here in the UK in the 60s and 70s wrestling was popular on the TV - and one of the "villains" of the ring was Shirley Crabtree Jr aka Big Daddy. ( His own big daddy, Shirley Crabtree Sr was also a wrestler.)   Before wrestling he played Rugby League for Bradford Northern -  for those who don't know about rugby league football,  it is not a sport for the faint of heart.

Shirley__Big_Daddy__Crabtree.jpg.e14001ecfc3a9758c2ad3818a730c175.jpg

• Upvote 7

As a Baby-sitters Club fan the sixth book list Kristy's mother names Watson's ex-wife and her new fiance as Sheila and Kendall. Since I'd only known girl Kendalls at the time I assumed Kendall was a woman and Watson's ex-wife was a lesbian and engaged to be married. With the different married, divorced, widowed and remarriage in that series it really didn't seem that out of place. I just figured they wanted Watson's reason for divorce being different from Kristy's (Dad ran off), Dawn's (a lot of fighting and moving across the country) and Stacey's (a lot of fighting, workholic, etc). I was disappointed when I learned later that Kendall was suppose to be a guy before the recon and he became Seth. 

• Upvote 6

• Coconut Flan locked this topic