IGNORED

Joe & Kendra 16: Praise - ing Their Brooklyn All the Day Long!

nelliebelle1197

3 hours ago, BadMurphy said:

Well she was an extrovert, a happy chatterbox taking to everyone in Greece, etc. but now she’s a sleep deprived post partum zombie (I’ve been there myself and it sucks...glad I don’t have to live permanently in that state for the next 20 years).

The women aren’t supposed to directly be making the decisions but you know there are some that are a stronger influence (Jessa) on their men than others (Jinger). But when it comes to Joe and Kendra they’re both so passive it seems as though they just go/do wherever/whatever her parents do.

I agree that Kendra does seem very tired and much less bubbly. I can’t imagine having a baby a year for 20 years. That approach isn’t favorable for anyone- both children and parents suffer.

• Upvote 17

On 3/12/2021 at 7:38 PM, Mama Mia said:

I dislike the narrative that only very privileged women can isolate and rest following the birth of a child. Throughout almost every culture, throughout history, the norm has been for women and newborns to recuperate, together, for roughly six weeks. That takes varying forms, but generally involves support from other women in the family in caring for older children, providing food, etc. with extremely minimal and gradually increasing exertion from the mother. Myths of mothers giving birth then happily being back gathering plants are largely that - myths - The exceptions to this have mostly been in societies that are based on feudalism or slavery, where women who were seen as completely expendable were not able to rest. And our current modern culture where some parts seem to value an early return to work as heroic or soldiering on.  I’m all for women doing what they want to feel better after birth - but the idea we should “back to normal” immediately after making an entire human is harmful.

Given that- I recall after my 1st baby, with a rough c-section and miserable recovery - I was still very anxious to be out showing off my pretty little newborn. I remember walking the mall, a couple weeks after, leaking breasts, agonizing incision and all, - pushing her in a stroller. Maybe Kendra, who seems to have easy births, felt up to a long ride,  with a pushed back seat, napping, and then showing off the baby and visiting for a bit. 

My two would fall asleep in the car almost immediately. The two hour drive to my MiL was heaven. I slept, hubby drove. 

• Upvote 7

2 hours ago, Gobsmacked said:

My two would fall asleep in the car almost immediately. The two hour drive to my MiL was heaven. I slept, hubby drove. 

That sounds wonderful. My firstborn hated riding in the car until she got a little bit older. Her first summer coincided with her discovering/being fascinated with her feet. If she started fussing in the carseat, I just took her socks off, and she would stare at her feet and grab them. It was such a nice change from her crying most of the time in the car! 

(Looking back, I wonder if her dislike of car rides contributed to us not taking any long road trips until she was 18 months old. :think: We were also pretty broke at the time. Probably a combination of the two.)

• Upvote 12

No Sleep 'til Brooklyn! Did that get used as a thread title yet??? Sorry my beastie boys is coming through.

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 22

^^ Had they announced the name prior to Brooklyn's birth, and Kendra was overdue, this would've been perfect!

I alse keep thinking of Brooklynt Hytes the drag queen (first seen on Ru Paul's Drag Race, later hosting the Canadian spinoff).

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2

I can’t even remember if I’ve replied to this (or another) thread ? I’ve been insanely busy recently. 

Brooklyn suits their style well - a bit trendy and dated, but not ridiculous (looking at you Jessa - poor Spurgeon). 

Guilty admission - I think Praise is cute as a faith based alternative to Grace, Faith, Hope etc. I haven’t heard of Praise as a middle name before. If I knew a  Christian who told me they wanted middle name suggestions for a little girl I would suggest this as long as they weren’t Australian - because it’s a brand of mayonnaise here. 

NB the above scenario is VERY unlikely to happen haha. Nobody is going to ask for my input for their daughter’s middle name and I’m not going to make unsolicited name suggestions to pregnant women. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 13

I can't remember if most of the Lauren Caldwell discussions have occurred here or elsewhere, but I'll post about her here. Somewhere very recently one of you, I believe @Marionette, said about  a year ago Paul Caldwell had a falling out with JB. The poster, or a different member, added that there is no known "likeness" currently going on between Lauren and any Duggarboy*. It has me wondering, though, if perhaps there was a "talking to" phase between Lauren and either James or Jason but  after the falling out and Paul Caldwell allegedly saying there wouldn't be another Duggar hookup with one of his kids, that he put a stop to it. Thus the seemingly out of the blue engagement (now apparently cancelled) of Lauren to Titus. Maybe broken off  because Lauren was never into Titus but just following her Dad's wishes. Nothing but speculation to toss out here, but I can't do much more than that given the Duggars and affiliates all seem to be mostly liars and I can 't believe them.

*Duggarboy... I saw someone recently use that term and I like it!

• Upvote 7

On 3/20/2021 at 4:56 PM, Bobology said:

I can't remember if most of the Lauren Caldwell discussions have occurred here or elsewhere, but I'll post about her here. Somewhere very recently one of you, I believe @Marionette, said about  a year ago Paul Caldwell had a falling out with JB. The poster, or a different member, added that there is no known "likeness" currently going on between Lauren and any Duggarboy*. It has me wondering, though, if perhaps there was a "talking to" phase between Lauren and either James or Jason but  after the falling out and Paul Caldwell allegedly saying there wouldn't be another Duggar hookup with one of his kids, that he put a stop to it. Thus the seemingly out of the blue engagement (now apparently cancelled) of Lauren to Titus. Maybe broken off  because Lauren was never into Titus but just following her Dad's wishes. Nothing but speculation to toss out here, but I can't do much more than that given the Duggars and affiliates all seem to be mostly liars and I can 't believe them.

*Duggarboy... I saw someone recently use that term and I like it!

I do get curious what these people have to argue about they all lead the same lives practically 

• Upvote 13
  • Haha 9
  • I Agree 1

40 minutes ago, Daisy0322 said:

I do get curious what these people have to argue about they all lead the same lives practically 

I guess they could argue about whose um....Bible is bigger?  :banana-angel:

• Haha 36

I can’t even remember if I’ve replied to this (or another) thread [emoji38] I’ve been insanely busy recently. 
Brooklyn suits their style well - a bit trendy and dated, but not ridiculous (looking at you Jessa - poor Spurgeon). 
Guilty admission - I think Praise is cute as a faith based alternative to Grace, Faith, Hope etc. I haven’t heard of Praise as a middle name before. If I knew a  Christian who told me they wanted middle name suggestions for a little girl I would suggest this as long as they weren’t Australian - because it’s a brand of mayonnaise here. 
NB the above scenario is VERY unlikely to happen haha. Nobody is going to ask for my input for their daughter’s middle name and I’m not going to make unsolicited name suggestions to pregnant women. 

Idk why I just realized that Chad and Erin also have. daughter named Brooklyn . I guess there is bound to be some overlap in the naming department .
  • Upvote 3

57 minutes ago, Heidijoey said:

Idk why I just realized that Chad and Erin also have. daughter named Brooklyn . I guess there is bound to be some overlap in the naming department .

Even though Brooklyn is on a downward trend in popularity nationally since its peak in 2011 (at #21), it has been in the top 100 names for 15 years (#52 in 2020) and in the top 50 for 11 of those years. It's even more popular in Arkansas than nationally:

2019- #19
2018- #42
2017- #15
2016- #11
2015- #14
2014- #14
2013- #8
2012- #13
2011- #13
2010- #13

So it's unsurprising there have been naming overlaps with the name Brooklyn.

Addison is also more popular in Arkansas than it has been nationally. I think it peaked at #3 in Arkansas and stayed there for multiple years. I wouldn't be surprised if the named future daughters something along the lines of Aubrey, Chloe, Paisley, Avery, or Emery, which have followed similar popularity trajectories in Arkansas.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 8

I live in Brooklyn. It's always awkward when people name their babies Brooklyn. I had a classmate named Brooke Ellen. She was made fun of pretty badly. It sucks that it's such a popular name. Also kinda weird because we represent almost everything fundies hate.

• Upvote 12
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, OyToTheVey said:

I live in Brooklyn. It's always awkward when people name their babies Brooklyn. I had a classmate named Brooke Ellen. She was made fun of pretty badly. It sucks that it's such a popular name. Also kinda weird because we represent almost everything fundies hate.

I saw an episode of Supernanny USA where the featured family’s 3 daughters were named after the NYC boroughs. There were Brooklyn and Bronx, but I can’t remember the third one. Definitely wasn’t Staten Island. Not my first choice for a naming theme.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 9
  • I Agree 2

10 minutes ago, Topaz said:

I saw an episode of Supernanny USA where the featured family’s 3 daughters were named after the NYC boroughs. There were Brooklyn and Bronx, but I can’t remember the third one. Definitely wasn’t Staten Island. Not my first choice for a naming theme.

Well, that leaves Manhattan and Queens, right? (Had to check Wikipedia for that)

I think I’d go with Manhattan but neither of them sounds very appealing to me. ?

Edited by Nothing if not critical
  • Upvote 8
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Nothing if not critical said:

According to Wikipedia that leaves Manhattan and Queens... I think I’d go with Manhattan but neither of them sounds very appealing to me. ?

I remember watching the episode and when they introduced the third daughter, thinking “oh dear.......well at least she’s not called Staten Island.”

I agree that Manhattan would be a marginally better name but not by much. What’s wrong with a letter theme? I believe there are quite a few possibilities with the letter J. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 7
  • I Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Lurker said:

The Staten Island is actually Richmond County, maybe they used that?

Brooklyn is also Kings County. So you can get more than one name out of our boroughs lol

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, OyToTheVey said:

Brooklyn is also Kings County. So you can get more than one name out of our boroughs lol

This kind of blew my mind. I'd lived outside of the city (in NJ) of my whole life. I never once even remotely thought about the counties of NYC!

• Upvote 5

3 hours ago, Topaz said:

I remember watching the episode and when they introduced the third daughter, thinking “oh dear.......well at least she’s not called Staten Island.”

I agree that Manhattan would be a marginally better name but not by much. What’s wrong with a letter theme? I believe there are quite a few possibilities with the letter J. 

I googled around because I was curious about this, and I think it must have been this family (https://thegarciadiaries.com/meet-bethanie-garcia/) with children named Brooklynn, Harlym, Deuce (the son who skipped the NY naming theme), Bronx, and Ellis.

• Upvote 1
  • Rufus Bless 3
  • Thank You 11

10 minutes ago, front hugs > duggs said:

This kind of blew my mind. I'd lived outside of the city (in NJ) of my whole life. I never once even remotely thought about the counties of NYC!

The only reason we know them is because on applications, a bunch of them for the gov( I work with insurances and medical stuff) they actually ask for the county most times instead of the borough. It's weird. Technically we could have like 8 kids named after NYC with all different county/borough names lol 

12 minutes ago, Nutella Ace said:

I googled around because I was curious about this, and I think it must have been this family (https://thegarciadiaries.com/meet-bethanie-garcia/) with children named Brooklynn, Harlym, Deuce (the son who skipped the NY naming theme), Bronx, and Ellis.

Oh geez, Harlyms middle name is Jeter. Like really lady? You're from Arizona. So weird imo.

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 2

20 minutes ago, Nutella Ace said:

Yes that’s the family, I remember the son being called Deuce which took me ages to work out why since his real name was nothing like his nickname. He was named after his father so I guess that Deuce is a nickname for a second like I’ve seen Tripp for a third. That’s not really a thing here so I’m a bit clueless about it, and also thought that Harlem was one of the boroughs of NYC. Learn something every day here.

Edited by Topaz
Riffles
  • Upvote 4

The Deuce is a nickname for West 42nd Street in Manhattan (New York County for the curious) so they kept to their naming scheme.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 12

My cousins girlfriend is named Brooke Linn . I never put 2 and 2 together until I saw your comment [emoji2360]
  • Upvote 4

On 3/25/2021 at 1:38 PM, Nutella Ace said:

I’m cracking up right now, because I’ve interacted with this woman for my job, and it literally never occurred to me about the name theme. I just always assumed she was going for trendy but not common names, haha. 

• Haha 6

• Coconut Flan locked this topic