IGNORED

Dillards 88: 'Cause We're Living in a World of Fools

samurai_sarah

8 hours ago, HeartsAFundie said:

I will be most impressed if I ever see an Instagram photo of Derick and the family at the National Civil Rights Museum in Memphis.  It is one of the most thought-provoking and emotional museums I have been to.  I had to hold back tears when I got to Dr. King's preserved room in the Lorraine Motel section of the museum.  

And once the pandemic gets more under control,  Memphis is very doable for them by car for a overnight road trip.  Only 4.5 hours away.   

The National Civil Rights Museum is the best museum I’ve ever been to. (that aren’t art museums) It is a very sobering experience. It’s been about 5 years and the emotions are still there. 

• Upvote 6
  • Love 6

17 hours ago, marmalade said:

Deena Dillard has covid. Remember, she's about six months pregnant.

I hope Deena and her baby will be okay...but, looking at her Instagram, I would have been a lot more cautious about my outings if I was pregnant.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 15
  • Love 1

14 hours ago, DarkAnts said:

I am making cherry vinegar. I can't drink alcohol anymore but had a batch of cherry wine brewing. So, it's now going to be become cherry vinegar. I am so excited to taste it when it's done. I might do cider next year when apples are in season.

Cherry vinegar is delicious! I have an almost empty bottle of a cherry/almond balsamic crema. It is so good! I'm being very economical with it since I used to refill it twice a year in a shop in Germany while visiting my parents (they live 10 minutes from the German border). Since covid I haven't been there and I'm trying very hard to be as economical as I can but I'm afraid I have to accept that the end truly is near...? 

• Upvote 7

16 hours ago, Four is Enough said:

People pour white vinegar into the second rinse in the washing machine to brighten up clothing and (I think) help rinse more soap out of the clothes.

If I remember correctly, it sort of 'breaks up' the soap that doesn't rinse completely out of clothing. I guess modern soap usually leaves a sort of residue that builds and makes the soap not work as well. I like to add baking soda when I put the soap in, and then vinegar when it hits the rinse cycle (if I remember/am paying attention.) The combination seems to make most things (especially towels) so much cleaner, brighter, and softer. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

1 hour ago, Maggie Mae said:

The combination seems to make most things (especially towels) so much cleaner, brighter, and softer.

It's also good for removing smells. I have fleece and vetbed bedding in my rats' cage, and use vinegar in the fabric softener compartment - completely gets rid of the pee smell, as well as any scent from the washing powder, which would make them sneeze. Added bonus is that we live in a very hard water area, and my washing machine stays shiny and scale-free too.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

17 hours ago, purple_summer said:

Thrashers (Ocean City) makes fries straight from the hands of God. 

Second only to Five Guys.. and you don't have to fight the gulls for Five Guys!

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, artdecades said:

Is there significance to chucks that I am missing?

Kamala Harris wears them! Yay Jill!

Edited by QuiverFullofBooks
  • Upvote 13
  • Thank You 7
  • Love 1

10 hours ago, Maggie Mae said:

If I remember correctly, it sort of 'breaks up' the soap that doesn't rinse completely out of clothing. I guess modern soap usually leaves a sort of residue that builds and makes the soap not work as well. I like to add baking soda when I put the soap in, and then vinegar when it hits the rinse cycle (if I remember/am paying attention.) The combination seems to make most things (especially towels) so much cleaner, brighter, and softer. 

Actually, it's sort of the opposite.  Good old soap.like Ivory Flakes/Snow would leave a residue on your clothes unless you had extremely soft water.  Non-soap detergents  (Tide, Persil, etc) were developed to help avoid the problem. The detergent molecules are polarized having a lipophilic end and a hydrophilic end.  (That's a simplification, but it's what I learned in high school chemistry.)   It's not that vinegar is not helpful, but it's not nearly as necessary as it used to be.  

Edited by PennySycamore
  • Upvote 7
  • Thank You 2

1 hour ago, artdecades said:

Is there significance to chucks that I am missing?

A lot of women were wearing chucks and pearls today in honor of Kamala Harris

• Upvote 12
  • Thank You 3
  • Love 1

Jill is wearing Chucks???? Holy shit!!! I'm planning to head out and score a pair of Chucks today or tomorrow. 

• Upvote 13
  • Love 1

I am literally shocked that Jill is supporting Kamala today with her clothes and showing that she's watching the inauguration! I am truly wondering if she's becoming progressive now? She posted this KNOWING her family and JB would see this.

It says a lot that Joy, who she basically raised, only like ONE picture on her instagram, a few days ago, honoring Derick's father that passed. Joy likes everyone else's photos and Jill keeps liking Joy's photos but that was the only time I saw Joy like something on Jill's page.

The rift appears very deep... and not just with JB...

Obviously, Jill's not making friends with MIL Cathy DIllard who is a major Trumper. I could cry happy tears of seeing Jill seeming to honor Kamala today.

This is a huge deal for Jill.

Edited by luv2laugh
  • Upvote 20
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 2

Jill is following Kamala and Joe on instagram. However, public figures or not, I do not believe a follow indicates support (i.e. I knew people who "followed" Trump on social media to keep up with wtf he was saying, not because they liked him). 

• Upvote 26
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 2

Her entire family and Trump MIL Cathy are bound to be furious with her. Additionally, I've noticed Kristen Nicole Young, who deactivated Instagram for Parler and recently went back but isn't posting, has not liked Jill's photos in a long time. However, Jill still likes hers. It appears Jill likes all of the photos of these people who no longer give her the time of day.

Edited by luv2laugh
  • Upvote 16
  • Love 1

I think that was a very carefully worded post by Jill to remain as politically neutral as possible.  But...um....she chose the picture of herself wearing Chucks for a reason. A very pointed reason. It’s actually a brilliant post, I think.  She made her support clear with a picture while striving to remain neutral with her words. 

If Derrick and Jill start publicly supporting the Democrat party on top of everything else, my mind will likely just explode. JB is probably crying in the prayer closet tonight. 

• Upvote 35
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 1

I think it is a very careful rebranding by Jill and Derick - it’s not dissimilar to what Jinger and Jeremy are doing - curating an image that is far enough from Duggarville to bring in new customers but not completely alienating their core base.

I know the Dillards have made some progress but has Derick ever actually expressed any remorse over the things he said about Jazz or Nate and Jeremiah? Or is is still maintaining his beef was with TLC and he just threw in the personal insults to draw attention to it? Jill’s defence of Jinger does show she has more sisterly loyalty and I really doubt it would be publicly reciprocated but it also shows a defence of paid endorsements. It really isn’t just sharing things you like and whoops, you happen to get paid for it- the Duggars will endorse any shit for money and that seems to be the main aspiration career wise.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

9 minutes ago, Idlewild said:

I think it is a very careful rebranding by Jill and Derick - it’s not dissimilar to what Jinger and Jeremy are doing - curating an image that is far enough from Duggarville to bring in new customers but not completely alienating their core base.

I know the Dillards have made some progress but has Derick ever actually expressed any remorse over the things he said about Jazz or Nate and Jeremiah? Or is is still maintaining his beef was with TLC and he just threw in the personal insults to draw attention to it? Jill’s defence of Jinger does show she has more sisterly loyalty and I really doubt it would be publicly reciprocated but it also shows a defence of paid endorsements. It really isn’t just sharing things you like and whoops, you happen to get paid for it- the Duggars will endorse any shit for money and that seems to be the main aspiration career wise.

Jill has a separate identity from Derrick. It's possible that Jill may be more progressive than Derrick. We don't really know. All I know is Jill is probably making enemies on all sides with her MIL, a major Trump supporter, and her entire family by posting this.  I think she's learning, in therapy, of how her parents' fundamentalist beliefs hurt her independence.  She was deprived of even the ability to be a working Christian woman like Cathy, by the Duggars, and I think she's recognizing that it was emotionally abusive to be raised like that and exploited on TV. I wouldn't be surprised to see Jill one day be open about being a feminist. She seems to have spent less time hanging around Jessa's friends (Sierra and Kristen Nicole Young, who deleted instagram over Parler and hasn't posted since after the election) and hangs out with the one friend of hers that has two kids (in the same public school) and went to school for physical therapy.

Edited by luv2laugh
  • Upvote 24
  • Love 2

34 minutes ago, luv2laugh said:

Jill has a separate identity from Derrick. It's possible that Jill may be more progressive than Derrick. We don't really know. All I know is Jill is probably making enemies on all sides with her MIL, a major Trump supporter, and her entire family by posting this. 

I hadn’t considered this perspective but I so relate to this in my own life. I’m more progressive/liberal than my husband and our families and have a strict no-politics rule with my parents because there’s just no talking to them about it. They just think I’m a baby-killer and that I support druggies and people who they think cheat the system. In reality, I learned to be the opposite of them because I saw how crappy they treated people. I hope Jill is doing the same and reflecting on her life and learning to be better and more accepting of others. 

Edited by JanasTattooParlor
  • Upvote 19
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 9

I wouldn’t label her a progressive.

I know people from the Free Methodist church i attended in Lawrence Ks (before I moved) who voted for/supported Biden.  Because there is a certain level of frustration among some Christians about all things Trump.  It’s a category I fit in.  

• Upvote 8
  • Love 1

15 hours ago, Zebedee said:

It's also good for removing smells. I have fleece and vetbed bedding in my rats' cage, and use vinegar in the fabric softener compartment - completely gets rid of the pee smell, as well as any scent from the washing powder, which would make them sneeze. Added bonus is that we live in a very hard water area, and my washing machine stays shiny and scale-free too.

Ok while we are on the topic I have a front loader washing machine that has three slots in the pull out washing powder area. 

I'm ignorant and should have read the manual but who ever does?  I have always wondered which slot the vinegar goes in. 
I put the powder in the first one and softner in the middle slightly smaller one and then i put napisan/stainremover  (if i use it) in the last slot. I have no idea if this is right but my clothes turn out ok. I have always wanted to use vinegar especially on towels but have never tried because of not knowing how I have a four year old that occasionally wets the bed this would be great for pee smell.
I am a very bad (single) housewife just fyi.

any advice?? cheers

• Upvote 4

39 minutes ago, clueliss said:

I wouldn’t label her a progressive.

Again, baby steps. My stepdaughter J went from a fundie lite, kool-aid drinking Trumper 4 years ago to a sort of conservative, PRO-CHOICE Biden supporter. She started out as a JW. Its taken her over 10 years and 2 college degrees to get to where she is now. The difference between J and Jill is that J was not really shielded growing up. Yes, she was a JW but she went to public schools, had exposure to the greater world, worked as a lifeguard and swimming instructor, went to nursing school. So, while she's still de-fucking her life, she started out a little ahead because she had not grown up as sheltered as Jill did. 

I think many are expecting Jill to just dump everything she was brainwashed with in a minute. She's showing that she IS coming out of that mindset, out of the whole IFB/IBLP thing. She may never get to a truly progressive place, but every little step she takes, like going to therapy, having Israel in public school, listening to popular music, going to the movies! She was so stunted by her family of origin, never allowed to mature or explore what SHE wanted, never allowed to entertain an idea different than the JB party line. If in 10 years, Jill is where she is now, then maybe pronounce judgement. It will take at least as long as she was brainwashed to get unbrainwashed. It's a long, difficult process where you feel that the whole foundation of your life is crumbling and you're trying to hold on to something, anything, while you try to rebuild it (from a conversation with stepdaughter H (J's twin sister)) The twins are going to be 35 at the end of this month. They've both been out from the JWs for 10+ years and they're STILL trying to figure out their lives beyond the framework they were brainwashed into when they were too little to fight back. It's also cost them dearly. Their mother now shuns them. They were not permitted to go to their grandmother's (also a JW) funeral because they've left it. The price they've paid and are paying is high. Jill is paying one  hell of a price too...she's been separated from her siblings, just this side of disowned (if not totally disowned) by her parents. Be gentle y'all. 

• Upvote 28
  • I Agree 7
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 7

1 hour ago, AussieKrissy said:

Ok while we are on the topic I have a front loader washing machine that has three slots in the pull out washing powder area. 

I'm ignorant and should have read the manual but who ever does?  I have always wondered which slot the vinegar goes in. 
I put the powder in the first one and softner in the middle slightly smaller one and then i put napisan/stainremover  (if i use it) in the last slot. I have no idea if this is right but my clothes turn out ok. I have always wanted to use vinegar especially on towels but have never tried because of not knowing how I have a four year old that occasionally wets the bed this would be great for pee smell.
I am a very bad (single) housewife just fyi.

any advice?? cheers

First, READ YOUR MANUAL.   I have a front loader and the detergent slot has a little cup for liquid detergent which you remove for powders.  The bleach and fabric softener dispensers are to the right with the bleach dispenser behind the fabric softener dispenser.  I'd put the vinegar in the softener dispenser, but you need to figure out where the fabric softener goes.  Pods go straight into the tub. 

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic